Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!
    Posted: 06/05/2012 at 9:40am
My name is James Lindberg and I play at the Baton Rouge Table Tennis Club (http://brttc.org/ ) in Louisiana, USA.

Although I'm relatively new to organized table tennis and am a low level player, I grew up playing table tennis or "ping-pong", as we knew it, in my basement in Michigan. I'm 49 now.

I wanted to contact you in my effort to keep the current celluloid ball. The ITTF is going full speed to introduce the new poly (plastic) ball on July 1, 2014. I've started a petition to try and keep the celluloid ball.

At the minimum, my hope is that the ITTF doesn't make the change to the new poly ball until the playing characteristics, durability, and cost of the ball are identical to the current, traditional, celluloid ball.

My stance is, we need a voice and I'm looking for 10K signatures on the petition so I can distribute it to the ITTF, USATT, and other TT organizations worldwide.

The petition has been posted on OOAK, Mytabletennis , Pingskills and tabletennis.about.

Here are some links on the topic:

The petition itself: Do NOT PAY anything! Also, I've implemented the blog tab and will keep posting information as I receive it.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keepexistingtabletennisballs/

A recent review of the PREVIEW poly ball:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50534&title=new-poly-ball-review

and

http://tabletennis-reviews.com/poly-non-celluloid-table-tennis-ball-review/

A link to the main discussion of the petition/ball:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50730&PN=1&title=just-say-no-to-the-new-poly-balls-sign-petition

An article written by Greg Letts (Greg Letts is a world ranked table tennis player, an Australian Level 1 table tennis coach, and an internationally qualified table tennis umpire.) on the protest of the ball, referencing my petition:

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/rants-opinions-philosophy/a/Protesting-Against-Plastic-Ping-Pong-Balls.htm

Edited by j-bo - 06/15/2012 at 4:20pm
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 10:45am
Say no to coke. Crack kills.

With you all the way bro. No need to change just yet. You can smell the crap like the springtime when the fields get sprayed with that fertilizer...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 10:54am
Funny stuff BH-Man.

Handshake
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:33am
Is there a page that shows the number of signatures collected?

Thanks!
Back to table tennis...
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:47am
There is a tab at the top of the page. Also has a tab to email your friends.

A whopping 4. Cry

I'm guessing some will see it as futile. But hey... I wanted to at least try something instead of just bitchin and moanin about it.

Edited by j-bo - 06/05/2012 at 11:49am
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:58am
Its a good start! Just a matter of time. I'll post a link to your petition on my blog.

Back to table tennis...
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 9:32pm
I signed it and I'll spread the word to my fellow players!
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 1:28am
try posting the link to all the tt forums you know.  it may help to spread the word.
here are a few forums I know:
ooakforum.com
tabletennis.about.com
tabletennis.gr
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 2:01am
Is this a moderated petition?
I have signed the petition but my name is still not there.

Edited by Imago - 06/06/2012 at 2:10am
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:47am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Is this a moderated petition?
I have signed the petition but my name is still not there.

Wait a bit and refresh again....
hopefully it is there
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:52am
Got it, you have to donate $25 in order to continue...
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 10:25am

Huh?

More reading on the topic. It's good on countering Sharara's claims on celluloid.

Has the TT press delved into this at all? Or... is it one of those types of things that if they rock the boat, they will be blackballed?

Discussion countering "world ban of celluloid"

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 11:01am
The ittf doesn't care one bit about the low end players.  They've said it straight up.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 11:10am
My suspicion is that they don't care about elite players either if it gets in the way of their own personal business dealings. The difference is that they probably won't say that straight up.

I signed the petition happily anyway.

Edited by Baal - 06/06/2012 at 2:56pm
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

The ittf doesn't care one bit about the low end players.  They've said it straight up.

This doesn't mean that we can't try and at least present something or share our voice on what the majority of players (us low end players) of the sports wishes are. It only takes a few seconds to sign the petition anyway.

Wouldn't it be something if some pro's names started popping up on this?

If anything, maybe the TT press (is there TT press?) may pick up on it and will put some pressure on Sharara.

Still.. the ball can change for all we know to be just as good or better. The reviews so far, aren't encouraging. A lot can happen though in less than 2yrs time.

Edited by j-bo - 06/06/2012 at 11:21am
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 12:17pm
More links to the poly ball topic:

OOAK:

Ball review starts on page 7.

New Non-Celluloid Balls?

sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 1:21pm

After you sign the petition that page will come up but you can just close the window.  Your signature will still be on the petition.  I was a little confused by that when I first signed it too.
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 6:20pm
It is rather an unwise and hasty action to decry the poly balls before we have an ultimate edition of PB at our hand..
Let's live and see if the DHS comes out with a better product.
If, in a year period,, I do not see any improvement of the POLY ball"s playing characteristics, I will gladly join this petition. Not before.   
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

It is rather an unwise and hasty action to decry the poly balls before we have an ultimate edition of PB at our hand..
If, in a year period,, I do not see any improvement of the POLY ball"s playing characteristics, I will gladly join this petition. Not before.   

I can see your point. However, we already know the play of the celluloid ball. The sky isnt falling...there is not a good reason to change..in my opinion.

Id like something as simple as the ball to remain the traditional material that almost all of us have grown up with.

Pre-emption and proactive is usually better than reactive.

Edited by j-bo - 06/06/2012 at 9:09pm
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 12:31pm
37 so far.

Come on players!
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 9:20am
What's the reason for the petition? Simply to give us, the regular players, a voice.

The regular players are those that keep the table tennis industry in business. It's not the pro players, who mostly are given their equipment, while us, the regular players are out purchasing balls, blades, rubbers, tables, etc. etc.

My hope is we have enough signatures to present this petition not only to the ITTF, but the USATT and all of the other major associations to see that the players are wanting to keep the traditional celluloid ball and the game characteristics it provides, with reasonable durability and cost.

If we wait 2 yrs to see the finished product, and it isn't much different than the current review balls now, we will be too late to do anything and will be stuck with buying new equipment, to change our games to meet the simplest aspect of the game.....THE BALL.

Should we trust in the ITTF and the manufacturers to produce a ball that will have the same "game play", reasonable durability, and cost as the current celluloid ball? Apparently, they've been at it for some time now without much success as witnessed by the reviews so far. Will they figure it out in less than a year and a half? They do need time to ramp up production.

SPREAD THE WORD!

Click on the "email friends" tab on the petition form to email all your playing buddies.

Edited by j-bo - 06/08/2012 at 9:44am
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 11:08am
All the current threads on equipment choices is going to be interesting to review if this new ball is not improved much and is indeed set forth in 2014.

I'm imagining that the threads are going to increase by a large margin trying to figure out what will work well with the new ball and the millions having to be re-spent just to get to the same levels we are at now.
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 11:53pm

+1
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 1:14am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

+1

+2 

Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 2:06am
It will be too late then. This petition is not about changing the ball, it is about changing your entire setup and playing style.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 3:08am

I disagree

If we just wait and 'trust' them to come up with a better option, we'll have no time to make any sort of effort to object when they're released. I doubt they would release any balls to the public if they didn't feel they were close to the final thing.

Manufacturer have already been told that the new poly balls will be introduced in 2014. They know that once the ITTF adops them, national association will follow and this will filter down to the clubs. So they're expecting much lower demand for celluloid balls, and will most like drop production to a very low level, or seize production altogether. This will seal the doom of the celluloid balls, and then we'll have no choice but to accept them.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 3:31am
In the end, I don't think we have any choice but to accept them, but it's a good thing to show that we aren't happy about the change.

I wonder if they (ITTF, everyone involved in the process with the Polyballs) know's that the balls aren't any good and that's why they make it so hard to get hold of them? I know plenty of players who would like to try them, cause it is hard to form an opinion about them before we have tried them.
The holy grail
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 5:01am
I just signed up. Somehow I confused the 2 threads and didn't see this one. I should not have been so strident with Haggis.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

I wonder if they (ITTF, everyone involved in the process with the Polyballs) know's that the balls aren't any good and that's why they make it so hard to get hold of them?

Wishful thinking makes them blind.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 11:43am
I wonder how many people that are against the new ball.......might play better or win more games with the new ball.  LOL     It all remains to be seen how we less than pro's will feel about the new ball after we have time to use it for a few months.  Who knows, maybe a fast blade with Mark V will work better than a setup your using now....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic