Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 3:29pm
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
Sponsored Links

j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by konnichwakid1 konnichwakid1 wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/06/the-silver-screen-no-more-distribution-of-film-to-cease-by-2013-in-the-us/

Which has absolutely nothing to do with table tennis balls.
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

I wonder how many people that are against the new ball.......might play better or win more games with the new ball.  LOL     It all remains to be seen how we less than pro's will feel about the new ball after we have time to use it for a few months.  Who knows, maybe a fast blade with Mark V will work better than a setup your using now....

Missing the point and I don't care if I win more games or not. I'm a low level player, but would like to keep the ball we have now.

ITTF keeps making rules changes/equipment mandates seemingly on a whim. To whose benefit? The games? I don't see it and I don't see how changing the ball makes any sense. What is there to accomplish by it? As has been seen, the "celluloid worldwide ban" was a joke, as was comparing celluloid to asbestos.

I wonder......how many people that are indifferent ...might change their mind after the fact when they must purchase all new equipment to be competitive? Or.... balls are double, triple, or more the current cost without any benefit of increase longevity?

Edited by j-bo - 06/10/2012 at 7:54pm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2012 at 1:02am
It's laughable. What other sports do you know has executed so many changes in equipment specs and enforced them even at the recreational level. Why the hell should the ITTF have a say in how we play this game for fun. Can you imagine having to play with a NBA-approved basketball, NFL-approved football, FIFA-approved football, or a MLB-approved baseball, glove, and bat. Ridiculous!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2012 at 1:59am
Copy/paste this code into your website or blog to help more people sign the petition

<div style="display:block; clear:both; text-align: left;">
<iframe src="http://www.ipetitions.com/widget/view/438347" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" style="width: 200px; height:145px; border:1px solid #cdced0; border-bottom:none; background-color:#e9eaeb;"></iframe>
<div style="text-align:center; font-family:Arial;font-size:11px; width: 196px; margin-top: -5px; padding: 7px 2px 2px; border:1px solid #364950; color: #fff; background-color:#364950; border-top:none;">
 <a style="color: #fff; text-decoration:none;" href="Free'>http://www.ipetitions.com/">Free Petition</a> by <a style="color: #fff; text-decoration:none;" href="iPetitions.comhttp://www.ipetitions.com">iPetitions.com</a>
</div>
<script type="text/javascript">
  var _gaq = _gaq || []; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-307455-4']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'ipetitions.com']); _gaq.push(['_setAllowHash', 'false']); _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); (function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);})();
</script>
</div>

j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

It's laughable. What other sports do you know has executed so many changes in equipment specs and enforced them even at the recreational level. Why the hell should the ITTF have a say in how we play this game for fun. Can you imagine having to play with a NBA-approved basketball, NFL-approved football, FIFA-approved football, or a MLB-approved baseball, glove, and bat. Ridiculous!

Which is why....I'm hoping that some manufacturers continue to offer the celluloid ball.

I really wonder.... how many local clubs will keep the celluloid balls and not go to the poly ball anyway?

Can you imagine how many celluloid balls are out there? How many recreational players won't even know the "rule" on use of the poly ball? How many will just plain refuse to use it (this of course, taking into consideration it isn't improved much from the current review balls out)?

Keep in mind, they still have a year or so to perfect the poly ball and a lot can happen between now and then. Which, if they can make the poly ball with the characteristics of the celluloid ball, then our arguments are a moot point.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2012 at 11:39am
It's very simple...if all the top players boycott high level tournaments for a period of several months that would be the end of the "new" ball.Wink
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

It's very simple...if all the top players boycott high level tournaments for a period of several months that would be the end of the "new" ball.Wink

And what would help any of them doing so? Hmmm..

Maybe a petition with 10k signatures? Wink
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2012 at 1:26pm
 I don't think getting 10k signatures would accomplish anything. Heck I don't think a 100k would make any difference. The top players must have the conviction and the fortitude to make their voices heard the new ball will not be tolerated. The top international tournaments is where the big sponsers and the money lives not at the local or national levels. Sometimes you just have to say enough is enough and come out swinging.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 9:30am
Let's keep this going. If you don't do anything, and the poly ball sucks... you can only kick yourself for not at least TRYING to do something.

Vladimir Samsanov is the Chairman of the Athletes Commission, wonder how his stance is on the poly balls and the 10 others on the Commission.

Edited by j-bo - 06/13/2012 at 4:31pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 8:55pm
Nobody have yet seen the ultimate! accomplished version of PB.
Hence, nobody can now say if the balls are good or bad.

Let's be patient and wait till the balls have came up on open market.

Edited by igorponger - 06/13/2012 at 9:04pm
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

You keep saying that, and my response to that (which you seem to ignore?) is:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

If we just wait and 'trust' them to come up with a better option, we'll have no time to make any sort of effort to object when they're released. I doubt they would release any balls to the public if they didn't feel they were close to the final thing.

Manufacturer have already been told that the new poly balls will be introduced in 2014. They know that once the ITTF adops them, national association will follow and this will filter down to the clubs. So they're expecting much lower demand for celluloid balls, and will most like drop production to a very low level, or seize production altogether. This will seal the doom of the celluloid balls, and then we'll have no choice but to accept them.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
bravefest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravefest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 11:06pm

The stupidity of this statement is mind boggling.

The basketball in the NBA is an official size, shape, and material.

The football in the NFL is an official size, shape, and material.

The soccer/football in the World Cup is a FIFA approved ball - although they do change it sometimes such as in the most recent World Cup.

The MLB has strict regulations on bat composition and has an official ball size, shape, and material.

YOU and any leagues you play in have the option of using a ball or other equipment of different specifications as it is entirely up to you and your leagues.  This is no different in table tennis as you can choose to play following the ITTF rules or not.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 11:15pm
I hope the new ball are not toxic. There are many dangerous and harmful plastics that cause cancer and other bodily harm, such as pvc and polycarbonate. Playing with a toxic ball would not be fun. 

http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/bpa/bpa_side_effects.php
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 2:13am
Originally posted by bravefest bravefest wrote:

The stupidity of this statement is mind boggling.

The basketball in the NBA is an official size, shape, and material.

The football in the NFL is an official size, shape, and material.

The soccer/football in the World Cup is a FIFA approved ball - although they do change it sometimes such as in the most recent World Cup.

The MLB has strict regulations on bat composition and has an official ball size, shape, and material.

YOU and any leagues you play in have the option of using a ball or other equipment of different specifications as it is entirely up to you and your leagues.  This is no different in table tennis as you can choose to play following the ITTF rules or not.

What I'm getting at, DA, is that we all have to play with the 40mm ball, unless we have access to a stash of 38mm ball or can find someone who still sells them. In the future, we'll all have to play with these new plastic balls because the current celluloid balls will no longer be made and sold. 

I was comparing that, DA, to sporting goods stores selling only balls approved by their respective professional sport governing bodies, or only equipment that is approved for professional competition, at relatively high prices, and you, DA, have no choice but to buy them.

What leagues does your DA play in which people still speedglue their rubbers, use frictionless pips, use the 38mm ball, hide their serves, and play 21-point games? DA
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:28pm

This is like the govt telling you... "just be patient, the economy is going to be really good... we promise!" Ouch

If it comes out and it's utterly going to change the way the game is played, will cause you to purchase all new equipment to be competitive, and costs $8/ball.... etc. etc......will you feel the same way?

PRO-ACTIVE, not re-active.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

This is like the govt telling you... "just be patient, the economy is going to be really good... we promise!" Ouch

If it comes out and it's utterly going to change the way the game is played, will cause you to purchase all new equipment to be competitive, and costs $8/ball.... etc. etc......will you feel the same way?

PRO-ACTIVE, not re-active.

I completely agree. If current ball production is not good for workers, it should be up to OSHA to manage the environment in which the workers operate. It does not mean that we should just abolish the current ball and choose another.

As a matter of fact, changing the ball should not be a problem as long as the playing characteristics and the actual performance of the ball remains the same. So if the seem along with the size was kept the same, the material of the ball could be changed AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE PLAYING CHARACTERISTICS.

For now, there is a schedule - a solid schedule when a new ball will be introduced. Nobody is changing that schedule or pulling back on the idea as "not ready for prime time". The organization continues to push for it even know there is a lack of evidence to indicate that the new ball will be better or even whether the new ball will play the same.

I think our game is not broken with the existing ball, so why fix it?
Back to table tennis...
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I completely agree. If current ball production is not good for workers, it should be up to OSHA to manage the environment in which the workers operate. It does not mean that we should just abolish the current ball and choose another.

As a matter of fact, changing the ball should not be a problem as long as the playing characteristics and the actual performance of the ball remains the same. So if the seem along with the size was kept the same, the material of the ball could be changed AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE PLAYING CHARACTERISTICS.

For now, there is a schedule - a solid schedule when a new ball will be introduced. Nobody is changing that schedule or pulling back on the idea as "not ready for prime time". The organization continues to push for it even know there is a lack of evidence to indicate that the new ball will be better or even whether the new ball will play the same.

I agree with the red.

That is the problem. There is already a pre-view ball out. And by most of what I could find, it's not promising.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 4:33pm

Didn't you hear? Don't you know? Wink

Our President said there is going to be a world wide ban on celluloid, thus there will be a world wide shortage and we need our President to save us....blah...blah....blah - later on this statement was changed

Besides that, we are told that we need to save the workers invovled in production as celluloid balls making process are harmful but end product are safe.

I wonder if our President uses any Apple product, any body has any photos? I would like to ask him why he is killing those factory workers if he does (nothing against Apple here, just an example).

So that is the official annoucement.
I am hoping there is some FBI or Interpol to investigate if there is any unofficial reasoning behind it.

Edited by ZApenholder - 06/14/2012 at 4:34pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 5:00pm
lol, try this out.

Go to Google (or any other search engine) and put in "world wide ban on celluloid".
Now tell me if you see anything other than Table Tennis
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 11:28am
Petition to Keep Existing Celluloid Balls is gaining a little momentum.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/keepexistingtabletennisballs

Please spread the word to your leagues, associations, organizations, etc.

This has been posted so far on OOAK, MYTT, and PINGSKILLS. And...........on tabletennis.about.com by Greg Letts! Here: http://tabletennis.about.com/

The ball is probably the most significant piece of the game that if changed, will have the most drastic effect on the way the game is played. Let's not mess with success!

Please. Let's not get in heated personal attacks.

Edited by j-bo - 06/15/2012 at 11:43am
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 11:54am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Didn't you hear? Don't you know? Wink

Our President said there is going to be a world wide ban on celluloid, thus there will be a world wide shortage and we need our President to save us....blah...blah....blah - later on this statement was changed

Besides that, we are told that we need to save the workers invovled in production as celluloid balls making process are harmful but end product are safe.

I wonder if our President uses any Apple product, any body has any photos? I would like to ask him why he is killing those factory workers if he does (nothing against Apple here, just an example).

So that is the official annoucement.
I am hoping there is some FBI or Interpol to investigate if there is any unofficial reasoning behind it.

I think the president played one too many rounds of beer pong and decided to have everyone use beer pong balls instead :)
Back to table tennis...
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:04pm
A great article has been written by Greg Letts (Greg Letts is a world ranked table tennis player, an Australian Level 1 table tennis coach, and an internationally qualified table tennis umpire.) on his protest against the new plastic balls.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/rants-opinions-philosophy/a/Protesting-Against-Plastic-Ping-Pong-Balls.htm

Edited by j-bo - 06/15/2012 at 12:17pm
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 1:26pm
I signed the petition.  I didn't contribute $25 because I really to know where the money will go and how it will be used.  I am very skeptical about donations.

I would probably play better with the poly balls because I play more of a fast hitting/blocking game.   However, I don't want to change the balls.  I see NO reason for it.  If the president of the ITTF wants to pay for the R&D to make these balls out of his pocket then he can go ahead and waste his money but you know who is going to be paying in the end.
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 1:29pm
No! Do not pay anything on the petition site! The petition is FREE to use and free to sign and free to see how many signatures there are.

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING!

I finally got the BLOG tab on the petition site to work. I will keep the topic updated through the blog tab also.

Edited by j-bo - 06/15/2012 at 1:46pm
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 1:54pm
Just signed it. There are only like 100 signatures.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

Just signed it. There are only like 100 signatures.

It's a start and things are just getting going. Thanks for signing. Spread the word!

I understand that many people have faith (thus lack of signatures so far) in the manufacturers to produce something that will work just as well. But I'd rather not change for the sake of change and HOPE they produce a ball with the same playing characteristics, durability, and price.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2012 at 3:22pm
I put up a post on my blog http://www.breaking2000.com/say-no-to-ittf-introducing-new-ball/

The petition is up to a whopping 182 signatures!

Wink
Back to table tennis...
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2012 at 3:32pm
If they had kept the ball size the same, there is a good chance the ball would play alot like the old one. I believe the larger ball was most of the reason for the material change. Just hide it under the guise of a new material. There was absolutly no reason to make it bigger. A small increase in diameter results in a large increase of surface area. Also makes the ball much thinner. They were well aware of this before they started.Censored
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2012 at 3:38pm
Where is the media when you need them, where is the FBI when you need them.

I so wish there can be some investigation (even if they found nothing).

Censored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic