Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just say no to the new poly balls. Sign petition!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 2:25am
Technological advancement often just makes things different: better or worse, that's in people's minds. There's gain at one and, and loss at the other. Younger people tend to say better, older tend to say worse. I suppose I'm somewhere in between.

As to the new ball, I see the reasons for being skeptical, but after all for most of us I think that switching to a new ball won't make that huge a difference. Many experiment (and EJ) with equipment anyway, so what's wrong in changing balls, in addition to blades and rubbers? Ok, the fact that it will be pushed on us may not sound fair, but it's the same for everybody, so nobody gets an unfair advantage.

Ok, there will be "designed for the poly ball" marketing campaigns. But you won't have to change equipment: you can just ignore them and stick to your current equipment. With some minimal adjustment, I suppose it'll play perfectly fine.

OTOH, what I don't like is the period of co-existence of the two ball types. If the poly balls behave differently, the ITTF should set a cut-off date after which everybody should use the poly balls, at least in official tournaments. To avoid clubs and shops sitting on stocks of celluloid balls, I hope this date will be set reasonably in the future.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 2:37am
Seems that there are only 250 soulmates all over the world...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 4:24am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Technological advancement often just makes things different: better or worse, that's in people's minds. There's gain at one and, and loss at the other. Younger people tend to say better, older tend to say worse. I suppose I'm somewhere in between.

As to the new ball, I see the reasons for being skeptical, but after all for most of us I think that switching to a new ball won't make that huge a difference. Many experiment (and EJ) with equipment anyway, so what's wrong in changing balls, in addition to blades and rubbers? Ok, the fact that it will be pushed on us may not sound fair, but it's the same for everybody, so nobody gets an unfair advantage.

Ok, there will be "designed for the poly ball" marketing campaigns. But you won't have to change equipment: you can just ignore them and stick to your current equipment. With some minimal adjustment, I suppose it'll play perfectly fine.

OTOH, what I don't like is the period of co-existence of the two ball types. If the poly balls behave differently, the ITTF should set a cut-off date after which everybody should use the poly balls, at least in official tournaments. To avoid clubs and shops sitting on stocks of celluloid balls, I hope this date will be set reasonably in the future.

ITTF can bend over and lick their toe jam. ITTF has no business directing amature players. Officially it doesn't, but it well know just about EVERY national association checks the block when it comes to whatever ITTF decides to change, so for intents and purposes, ITTF realy DOES control amature TT! ITTF can bend over and lick toe jam again. What needs to happen is national associations listen to their players and vote appropriately. ITTF president is famous for coming on forums and staing that ITTF rules do not apply to amauture players and they are welcome to play with any equipment & format they choose. That is correct at face level, but on the ground, ITTF pretty much dictates what and how in amature TT. ITTF should kiss off, but it isn't their fault. They are making rules for pro TT. It is the national associations' fault for all this and players like us for allowing our national asociations to vote like this. We should all be in hte face of our national associations letting them know where we stand and back it up with how we get them in or out of office.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

ITTF can bend over and lick their toe jam. ITTF has no business directing amature players. Officially it doesn't, but it well know just about EVERY national association checks the block when it comes to whatever ITTF decides to change, so for intents and purposes, ITTF realy DOES control amature TT! ITTF can bend over and lick toe jam again. What needs to happen is national associations listen to their players and vote appropriately. ITTF president is famous for coming on forums and staing that ITTF rules do not apply to amauture players and they are welcome to play with any equipment & format they choose. That is correct at face level, but on the ground, ITTF pretty much dictates what and how in amature TT. ITTF should kiss off, but it isn't their fault. They are making rules for pro TT. It is the national associations' fault for all this and players like us for allowing our national asociations to vote like this. We should all be in hte face of our national associations letting them know where we stand and back it up with how we get them in or out of office.

The ITTF doesn't direct amateur players - case in point:  go to a bar with a table.  I've never met a bar player who doesn't still think it's 38mm balls and 21 point games.  Amateur players aren't affected at all.
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 1:15pm
Could you define Amateur?

As far as I know, if you are non Professional, you are Amateur - even if you play in leagues which follow ITTF rules
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 3:31pm
Bar players don't even qualify as amateurs.  They are just drunks.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 3:32pm
Find a player in any USATT affiliated club who's drunk, lol.
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

And this is the biggest problem with alot of the negativity about the new ball. The is no finished product out there yet. Everything is pre production and not a finished mass produces product.

No, the opposite is true. What was tested by Samsonov back in last September was a finished product and that finished product was rejected and they postponed the use of plastic ball for a year, then William Henzell tested another finished product and found it bad, so they postponed the use of plastic balls for another year.

It is not negativity, it is objectivity.

Now tell me the whole thing was not a scam from the very beginning.
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 6:20pm
They postponed the use of the new balls because William Henzell said he didn't like it??? My guess would be that they postponed the use of poly balls because no company has yet to come out with a viable finished product that is not only durable but ready for mass production. Regardless of how things turn out with the new balls they will need consumers in order to sell their product. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by hidasjoki hidasjoki wrote:

They postponed the use of the new balls because William Henzell said he didn't like it??? My guess would be that they postponed the use of poly balls because no company has yet to come out with a viable finished product that is not only durable but ready for mass production. Regardless of how things turn out with the new balls they will need consumers in order to sell their product. 

I guess it was not William Henzell alone nor Samsonov, but the Athletes Commission.

And of course any piece of sh*t is ready for mass production and the consumers who are we will have no choice, if they do not postpone the whole thing indefinitely.
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 7:11pm
Unless they completely stop producing celluloid balls once the new balls are ready,  we will always have a choice about which type of ball we purchase. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 7:44pm

Unless they completely stop producing celluloid balls once the new balls are ready,  we will always have a choice about which type of ball we purchase. 

You can purchase a potato or whatever and play with it in your basement, but in developed TT-countries the situation is different.

E.g. in Germany there is a well-developed league system, where at least 500,000 (from 630,000 registered) players play in teams. Everything is connected there, because the teams move up and down. So it can be only 1 type of ball, otherwise the players would face transitional difficulties. The same goes for other European and other countries with league system.
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 8:06pm
I'm not sure what potatoes have to do with this discussion or why you think I have a basement but I agree that it will effect league play in my home country(Germany) and other leagues outside of the states but my original point was that individual consumers aren't going be to forced to purchase the new balls if they ever get implemented. 

Edited by hidasjoki - 07/07/2012 at 8:07pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 8:34pm

I'm not sure what potatoes have to do with this discussion or why you think I have a basement

It was just rhetorical.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 8:39pm

I agree that it will effect league play in my home country(Germany) and other leagues outside of the states but my original point was that individual consumers aren't going be to forced to purchase the new balls if they ever get implemented. 

The individual PLAYERS will be forced to PLAY with the plastic balls in their leagues, argumentation see above...
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 9:11pm
It wasn't rhetorical, it was a cheap insult. Either way I doubt the final product is going to be as bad as the test balls players have tried. 
<3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 9:57pm

It wasn't rhetorical, it was a cheap insult.

No, it was an adequate way to address your "we will always have a choice about which type of ball we purchase", where I see a demagogic attempt to shift the focus from playing to purchasing. It must be obvious that the whole controversy is not about what we can purchase, but about what we will be forced to use in competitions.
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2012 at 10:38pm
I wasn't making an emotional attempt to switch the focus of the conversation, my first comment had to due with consumers. I'm sure your intelligent enough to recognize your "potato and basement" comment was condescending. 
<3
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 12:07am

my original point was that individual consumers aren't going be to forced to purchase the new balls if they ever get implemented. 

No they won't be forced to do so, but the manufacturers have already been told (by the ITTF) that they will change to the new plastic balls... they know that national association will follow the ITTF , and will no doubt expect that poly balls will replace the old celluloid balls, so they will almost certainly cut production or stop it completely. Then you'll have no choice anymore...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
hidasjoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hidasjoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 1:09am
Maybe I'm just being a bit too naive but I would like to think that there would at least be non-iitf approved balls being produced, then again table tennis balls are one of the few remaining products that are made of celluloidConfused . Either way, it won't be easy to stop the ittf especially if people can't stay level headed. 
<3
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 3:22am
Hidasjoki

Yes, there are non ITTF balls being produced now.
I see some wierd and colourful balls nowadays for the recreational players.
Balls that are pink, green, funky colours, and balls that have 3 black stripes covering it (adidas).
But I think what is important here is, do you see any 38mm in the stores for recreational players?

The moment manufactory moves over to the new ball with new sizes - they will stop producing the older balls with non ITTF colours too.

So in the future, everything will be the new plastic balls.
Non ITTF will be a Pink Plastic ball, if you get what I mean.

And Yes, all consumers are forced in a way, a force from top down.
ITTF determines what manufactories make, and not the consumer (or alteast for the 80%-20% principle)

sooner or later, these debate will be pointless as to me this is clearly a business decision, so until some sort of legal action/audit is taken- even with 10000 signature to this petition, its not gonna change anything

Edited by ZApenholder - 07/08/2012 at 3:23am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 10:53am
My point about the ITTF dicating and controling the Amature players is all about the national associations going blindly along with whatever ITTF prooses at AGM or any meeting. Once that happens, then the fate is sealed.

HassigV made that point much more concisely and neatly (not as rude as I did) than I ever did.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:06am
Ya, BH-Man, I know what you mean.

We can also say that, ITTF doesn't need to control Amature players (like us), they can just control the supply chain. Just like any other corrupt government - controlling supply chains.

But I am indeed sad that over 2/3s of the national associations approved to these changes.
There is another article that raises questions on Sharara intergrity as president of ITTF.
http://tabletennista.com/2012/7/new-olympic-rules-create-opportunities-exc/
Either way, he needs to come clean and explain what TMS and his relationship his, otherwise his name will never be clean.

In many Asian countries, Media really make the world turn around. Media will force officials to work and do they duty - if they don't, they will televised they incompendents.
Right now in Taiwan, there is a stories of a politician that has been caught with over USD20million in bribery money. Media did alot in helping police and  investigators. Media also have investigation teams that goes and find information, take photos of certain hand shakes that started the whole investigation from police.

I wonder if there is a strong media company in Canada that can do something for us?
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:39am
Again... typical humans....

Reactive instead of pro-active.

250 signatures... well.. it's something I guess. I don't know how else to get the word out on the petition though. Yes, it probably doesn't make a difference, but it's a try at least.

There is NO REASON to change, NONE.

Won't need to change equipment? That's naive. Actually, many think that's the driving force behind the ball change. I guess if you don't wish to be competitive, sure, no one will make you change equipment. Plenty do well with hard bat still.

The ball change will be the 2nd one in a short time period...has it benefited the game? Will the new ball benefit the game? Doubtful, unless there is no change in game play and durability is vastly improved.

When was the last time a:
baseball was changed?
Basketball?
Football?
Soccer ball?
Tennis ball?
Golf ball?
etc. etc.?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 11:48am
J-Bo

I admire and respect your spirit and agree to what you are doing (opening post). I am not fond of having an international sport governing body changing they minds every year and changing this and that.

But calling "typical humans" really sound like an insult to me. What are you trying to say?

Why don't you ask yourself a question.
Why only 250?
What went wrong?

Sometimes it is better to blame yourself before blaming other people.

And to note, I have seen you insult more and more people the longer this thread goes.
The opening post was so much more to what I agree.
I don't agree to these insults, so please stop.
It is not working.
If you want more people to participate, then stop with the name calling or insults. Otherwise you are going to loose supporters like me and choose not to support you any more.

Edited by ZApenholder - 07/08/2012 at 5:13pm
dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 5:04pm

Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

Soccer ball?

Well, I could answer that. Last year and last last year. They changed soccer ball before world cup. And change it again after world cup

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by dici dici wrote:

Soccer ball?

Well, I could answer that. Last year and last last year. They changed soccer ball before world cup. And change it again after world cup

Correct me if I wrong.
Don't they also make special balls for Euro, just like the make for Fifa world cup?
So from what I heard, the balls are never the same each year. Some curve more than the others etc
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 5:44pm
Typical humans....as normal behavior....reactive...meaning..they'll wait until it's too late.

Anyway....don't know where you're coming up with name calling and insults.

Edited by j-bo - 07/08/2012 at 5:51pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 6:18pm

Typical humans....as normal behavior....reactive...meaning..they'll wait until it's too late.

Anyway....don't know where you're coming up with name calling and insults.

Can I call you typical sales? or typical marketer?

If you want this to be better, then I don't think using typical human behaviour as a reason why people are reactive in participating in this be your encouraging point.

It is useful to listen to all the people in the few forums that choose not to be invovled. So you call those people will valid reasons - typical human and reactive and not proactive? I don't think that is fair, and plus people that don't want to participate yet with other valid reasons do have the right not to participate. It is simply your argue point is still limited.

I do have a few ideas that I can suggest to help you achieve your task, but please stop using typical humans as your encouraging (vote for me) statement. I don't think it has been working all these time or will all of a sudden work for you.

Regarding your main aim, is on the ball - which is still very debatable as feedback by so many people.

Why don't you add motives to these changes (or questions of the motives), as well as the lies (evidance from first interviews) to the reasons why we should sign the partition? So not just limit people do disliking or afraid of the balls to sign, but rather other moral, ethical, business sense issues to your list - and encourage people to particpate in atleast 1 if not all of those point.

So add peoples feedback to your list and make them vote with you.
I may not have the best English, but maybe even get a professional sales coaches or marketer to help reword your partition page to try and cover everything angle.

For instance. I agree to this not because of the claims that the plastic balls are noisy, or less spin or what ever the case. But rather I feel there are lies behind all this, so lies are lies and I don't like it and agree to what is being done. Don't lie to me, as I am not dumb etc.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2012 at 6:24pm
Something like,

Sign this partition if you feel one of the following is true:

- ITTF president mis informing the general public and changing his stories, and could not support evideance of his claims that raising doubts behind all these.
- ITTF abusing powers by suggesting changes for profit sake. Consumers will all require to repurchase new blades, rubbers, balls etc
- ITTF this, ITTF that
- Balls has little to no spin and the disadanvantage to that
- Balls will likely be more expensive
- Feedback by pros (try and get people to interview more of them)

Now the advertising part (once you get the whole story), get hold of media companies to help you broadcast your petition out. Social media, internet news companies, radio etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic