FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
    Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:46am

Tibhar Stratus Power Wood (FL)
- 90 grams
- 6.2mm thickness
FH: Donic Barracuda MAX
BH: Donic Barracuda MAX
DHS #15 Glue
USATT Rating: 1863

Store: Paddle Palace USA

The Tibhar Stratus Power Wood is a 5-ply OFF- blade composed of Limba top and secondary plys with an Ayous core (Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba).  This blade construction is the same as Butterfly’s Petr Korbel and its variants, Donic’s Waldner Senso V1, Galaxy M4, Joola K5, and Xiom’s Maximus and variants.  Tibhar does an excellent job on build quality for the SPW with a sanded handle, wings and smooth top-plys.  The SPW weighs in at 90 grams and is 6.2mm thick.  The head size measures 151.5mm x 158mm making this blade a little larger than blades from other mainstream manufactures.

This blade has a medium hardness and stiffness.  This blade produces a feel that solid, but not overwhelming. The feeling is more solid than a Stiga OC which has tremendous vibrations but feels muffled, but is not like a Butterfly MMaze which has vibrations that are more precise.  This blade has more dwell than composite blades that allows for power to be generated and is more forgiving.

After hitting with this blade for about 4 days, during training sessions and matches, several items of interest have stood out when using this blade.  At first I was not accustomed to the hardness of the blade, but after playing with it for a while, the blade's characteristics are apparent.  For speed, I would say that it is not OFF- but squarely OFF.  Before trying out the Tibhar SPW I tried the Stiga Allround Evolution.  I liked the dwell, but it took a little more effort to get the ball to go.  I wanted something faster than the AE, but slower with more dwell than the Butterfly MMaze.  Using Donic Barracuda on both sides, this blade has excellent power and control due to the amount of dwell it has.  The SPW will spin soft balls, but when you crank it, the ball goes.  The thickness of the blade gives it umph, while the outer plys give the blade good touch.  For service game, the SPW is not bouncy so balls will stay low on pushes.  Although the blade's head is big, in addition to using Donic Barracuda (heavier rubber), I do not feel that this blade is head heavy, or at least I do not feel that it is apparently head heavy to where I can feel it (Does not feel like a Stiga WRB).

This blade is 90 grams.  This may be heavy for some, but it works fine for me.  In the pictures, the handle looks bigger (even in my pictures).  In real life, it looks smaller.  However, Tibhar does a good job of sanding their handles smooth making them comfortable.  The head size is big, bigger than the average blades from Butterfly, Donic, Yasaka, etc. (with the exception of defensive blades, and the Butterfly Petr Korbel).

If you're looking for a blade comparable to a Butterfly Petr Korbel but with a touch more speed and a larger handle, this blade should be put under consideration.  If you're having trouble with composite blades, and want to use a blade that is a little more forgiving, this blade is worth considering.  If you're on a budget and want a OFF blade, this blade is worth considering.  If coming from composite blades or soft blades, this blade will take a few sessions to get used to, but after getting used to it, I think you will like this blade.  

Tibhar does a good job with build quality for the Stratus Power Wood at $55 shipped from Paddle Palace, I think it's a bargain.  I give the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood a positive review.

Posted below are pictures of the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood.

Overview
  • Squarely OFF (Maybe lower OFF) not OFF- as listed
  • Medium Hard/Hard Feel with good touch
  • Solid feeling
  • Good dwell = good power, good short game
  • $55 Shipped from Paddle Palace USA
References: Blade composition -http://www.ttbdb.com/liste.php, various posts on MyTT and OOAK

Jeff(ATTC)

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 06/10/2012 at 11:15pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Sponsored Links

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 3:22am
It is an excellent blade. The one I use is 90g.
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 3:45am
what you think, is too thick for controlled looping? I've played with korbel fl for long time, now broke it, searching for similar blade with thicker handle ans less head heaviness.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 4:04am
It is very good for controlled looping and suits a wide range of rubbers. Not head heavy, it is very well balanced for allround offensive play.

Edited by riker71 - 06/16/2012 at 11:56am
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 4:25am
what worries me is speed for this blade on tabletennisdb site, it's 9, and korbel is 8.2, it's too big difference for me.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 5:46am
Yes even Tibhar themselves rate it 9 but Off-!
I dont think you can go wrong with this blade, just pick thinner or slower rubber to suit. I dont think it is much faster than Korbel
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 9:20am
i just bought myself one of these myself. hopefully it will help me control my loops better. my current Joola wing passion extreme is just a touch too fast. 
RSM Special Platinum T64
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 9:49am
I actually did a review on this blade in MyTT few years ago. It was exactly similar to what you wrote here. If you are looking for better korbel, SPW is the right blade. Its FL handle is very comfy unlike thin Korbel FL. It is not head heavy either.

But the speed rating is not right. It is faster than Korbel so should be categorized as OFF. It is even faster than Samsonov Stratus Carbon.

Given the good thing about this blade, I wonder why it's not popular.

Edited by doraemon - 06/09/2012 at 9:59am
LaRedoute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRedoute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 10:56am
i bought my spare /and lighter/ SPW week ago Smile
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 10:57am
i found this blade fast much faster than korbel, to me its not for control looping unless u use very soft and slow rubbers. also, it had good feel but also felt like a hammer evern with no so heavy rubbers.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 12:45pm
Could someone explain the difference between Tibhar SPW and Stiga Allround Wood NCT , pls? Speed, control, loops and so on.
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:04pm
Tibhar SPW is quicker and better for a more offensive game. Stiga Allround NCT is slower, more control, not powerful away from table and compact head, lighter. Of course it goes without saying that these things can be compensated for with choice of rubbers with the blade. Tibhar SPW is definitely Off blade not Off- but it is not Off+. I have played with Korbel and found it a bit stiffer and lower throw, head heavy compared to the SPW. I recently played with Maze ALC and despite my efforts found it pretty inflexible and unresponsive compared to SPW with less control. The handle of Maze was also slimmer than SPW. For my game is this is best blade I have used, best all wood offensive blade. I can use it for brush loop, power loop and it even has enough control for defensive game and throwing in some chops when needed, the slightly larger head helps here too. Short game and touch are both excellent. This is using Omega IV Pro which is not known to be a slow rubber and I have also used Roundell and Roundell hard with the blade. I found it too soft a setup with regular roundell but good with Roundell hard but in my opinion is best suited to good quality offensive rubbers like Tenergy, Omega IV Pro, Vega Pro and latest Generation Tensors. With slower rubber would also make for a more allround controlled game or even modern defensive with thin rubbers. I bought this blade based on the reviews at ttdb.com and have added my own review since then.

Edited by riker71 - 06/09/2012 at 2:12pm
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:08pm
Thank You Riker ! It's really helpful!
igszoctan
Strength and honour
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by igszoctan igszoctan wrote:

Could someone explain the difference between Tibhar SPW and Stiga Allround Wood NCT , pls? Speed, control, loops and so on.

The AllW Nct is less powerful than the SPW. The SPW blade is a very good off blade. Lot of feeling and control and well balanced with large head. The only issue is the weight. A little heavy. Extraordinary blade.

I like about the SPW that is stiff flexible with a dwelly outer. About the MM is different blade. Not so much control feeling but crisper. From the Spw to the MM takes time. MM is an Alc composite. Have to get used to the composite crispness. The MM needs to be more precise about the stroke.

The Spw helps everystroke. 
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:37pm
How many helpful TT Masters ! Cool brief review Ejmaster . Thx . I really appreciate.
igszoctan
Strength and honour
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 2:39pm
Igszo: you are welcome!
EJM:Yes, MM is quite different because of ALC and composition of blade. Undoubtedly high quality. After extensive testing I found all wood Off blade to be better suited for my style of play.

Edited by riker71 - 06/09/2012 at 2:44pm
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 7:13pm
Yes, nice feel, without any question fast enough for just about anyone, also most comfortable flared handle I have felt in a long time, but a bit heavy.  Very good blade (Stratus Powerwood).  The one I hit with must have been about 92 g. I am very accustomed to ALC blades which are very different, but SPW instantly appealed to me.

Edited by Baal - 06/09/2012 at 7:18pm
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Yes, nice feel, without any question fast enough for just about anyone, also most comfortable flared handle I have felt in a long time, but a bit heavy.  Very good blade (Stratus Powerwood).  The one I hit with must have been about 92 g. I am very accustomed to ALC blades which are very different, but SPW instantly appealed to me.

I had a spare one weighing 86g which I sold on as I prefer the 90g one.  Any good TT vendor should be able to pick a lighter one
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
LaRedoute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRedoute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 6:35am
has anyone tried to reduce the size of the head if it is considered as a large .. wont it shift the balance backward and gain few grams total weight?Ermm i have a friend who modified his SC that way

Edited by LaRedoute - 06/10/2012 at 6:37am
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 11:15pm
After hitting with this blade for about 4 days, during training sessions and matches, several items of interest have stood out when using this blade.  At first I was not accustomed to the hardness of the blade, but after playing with it for a while, the blade's characteristics are apparent.  For speed, I would say that it is not OFF- but squarely OFF.  Before trying out the Tibhar SPW I tried the Stiga Allround Evolution.  I liked the dwell, but it took a little more effort to get the ball to go.  I wanted something faster than the AE, but slower with more dwell than the Butterfly MMaze.  Using Donic Barracuda on both sides, this blade has excellent power and control due to the amount of dwell it has.  The SPW will spin soft balls, but when you crank it, the ball goes.  The thickness of the blade gives it umph, while the outer plys give the blade good touch.  For service game, the SPW is not bouncy so balls will stay low on pushes.  Although the blade's head is big, in addition to using Donic Barracuda (heavier rubber), I do not feel that this blade is head heavy, or at least I do not feel that it is apparently head heavy to where I can feel it (Does not feel like a Stiga WRB).

This blade is 90 grams.  This may be heavy for some, but it works fine for me.  In the pictures, the handle looks bigger (even in my pictures).  In real life, it looks smaller.  However, Tibhar does a good job of sanding their handles smooth making them comfortable.  The head size is big, bigger than the average blades from Butterfly, Donic, Yasaka, etc. (with the exception of defensive blades, and the Butterfly Petr Korbel).

Tibhar does a good job with build quality for the Stratus Power Wood at $55 shipped from Paddle Palace, I think it's a bargain.  I give the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood a positive review.

Jeff(ATTC)

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 06/10/2012 at 11:16pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
AlexB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2012 at 2:31pm
I have one  with anatomic around 90gr. I like combo  with Ando Hexer+ and Nittaku Galze. 
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2012 at 6:53pm
anyone know which country made this blade? thanks
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
LaRedoute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRedoute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 8:26am
i believe it is made in Slovenia

Edited by LaRedoute - 06/13/2012 at 8:27am
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 11:03am
Slovenia?? Interesting... @Doraemon.. Since you are the only person I know to have tried Korbel Speed and Tibhar Stratus Power.. Would you be able to make comparison between them? Thanks
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by LaRedoute LaRedoute wrote:

i believe it is made in Slovenia
Solvenia really?  Maybe I can play like  Bojan Tokic!!!LOL
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 11:19pm
I have one for sale in the for sale section.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 12:31am
Quote TIBHAR rubbers are produced in Germany, Japan and China, blades in an exclusive factory in Slovenia, table tennis tables in Germany and balls in China and Japan. Glue, nets, textiles, shoes, bags and other articles are produced in many different countries such as Poland, Egypt, China, India ...

http://tibhar.de/en/content.php?action=module&modul=url&url=firmengeschichte
Bennybenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 2:34am
When I got back into table tennis a few years ago, I started out playing with an Avalox P700, but switched to an Avalox C555 Ma Wenge Carbon for a season for the speed and stability. I thought I could adapt to the harder feel of carbon, but my overall performance suffered - I just couldn't be consistent enough. I later realized that carbon blades are not for me, so I went back to all wood blades. I switched to a Butterfly Petr Korbel for the softer feel, slower speed, better control and better looping qualities of a 5-ply blade. I immediately started playing better after I adjusted to it. I really liked the blade except for the skinny flared handle and the times when I felt the blade lacked power when I went for flat hits or really aggressive shots. I was tempted to go back to the P700, but I still wanted the touch and looping qualities of a 5-ply.

I then saw positive posts about the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood blade on this forum that piqued my interest. I wanted a backup for the Korbel, so the SPW looked like the perfect candidate, given that it is made up of the same woods, has a better handle and costs less. I bought one and it has exceeded all my expectations. I've always loved the P700, but I find the 7-ply to be a bit stiff at times, a touch fast and not very subtle. I love my Petr Korbel, but find it lacking in power at times. I wished that I could find a blade that could be a fine line between the two - I wanted the stability and power of the P700 with the touch and subtlety of the Korbel. The SPW definitely delivers that for me quite well. I would say that it plays like a 5-ply P700 or a 7-ply Korbel. It topspins very well, but flat hits much better than the Korbel, pretty much on par with the P700. I like it so much that I now have it as my main blade.
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood FL
Friendship 729 Higher Transcend 2.2 Black
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:21am
wow... after playing 5 plies P500 like and 7 ply Clipper like... I have the same experience like you BennyBenny... I am more comfortable with 5 ply.. but then looking something between P500 and Clipper CR like..

There is where I am starting to collect Petr Korbel like blades.. 1st I bought Korbel Speed....
Now I am buying SPW since it seems to have good reviews and what I try to investigate more.. (if Baal was a day earlier I will buy from him Cry)... it is limba outer ply... normally I like Koto.. but we will see...

At the moment, I like very much my Korbel Speed... it is the best of both world (5 & 7 plies).. loop as well as blocking is good... what can you ask more.. Big smile
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
Bennybenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bennybenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Pongz Pongz wrote:

wow... after playing 5 plies P500 like and 7 ply Clipper like... I have the same experience like you BennyBenny... I am more comfortable with 5 ply.. but then looking something between P500 and Clipper CR like..

There is where I am starting to collect Petr Korbel like blades.. 1st I bought Korbel Speed....
Now I am buying SPW since it seems to have good reviews and what I try to investigate more.. (if Baal was a day earlier I will buy from him Cry)... it is limba outer ply... normally I like Koto.. but we will see...

At the moment, I like very much my Korbel Speed... it is the best of both world (5 & 7 plies).. loop as well as blocking is good... what can you ask more.. Big smile
I haven't tried the Korbel Speed, but I do have a P500 (it's actually a Nittaku Runlox-5) which to me was very different from my Korbel. I found the Runlox to be awesome for looping (tremendous 'trampoline' effect), but not so great for flat hitting or blocking. I also felt it lacked power. It just didn't seem balanced enough for me. The Petr Korbel is more balanced, good at most things, but The SPW is even better, probably the most balanced blade I've ever tried, just good at everything.
Tibhar Stratus Power Wood FL
Friendship 729 Higher Transcend 2.2 Black
Gambler Outlaw 2.15 Red
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic