Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Equipment advice needed (USATT 1650)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
andy.h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy.h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Equipment advice needed (USATT 1650)
    Posted: 06/14/2012 at 3:58pm
Good morning/afternoon/evening All!

I am USATT 1650 player, loop (at least try) from both wings.

What equipment would you recommend? I understand that the prevailing opinion is that T05 is too fast. What about T05FX? What about blade?

Here is a video of my lesson so that you can understand my level better:

http://youtu.be/p14we_N867U

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 4:08pm
T05 is not too fast. It is not among the fastest rubbers at all. Of course the speed of the blade is just as important. 

I watched a few bits.. you brush a lot, especially with BH. You will definitely love T05 and should go for it if price is not a problem. 
T05 FX plays differently, speed is not the important difference with T05. Is is softer, more jiggly, and cannot throw as high. If you make good contact with the ball, T05 is better. If you have soft shots, FX will help u dig deeper in the sponge.

Another great rubber for you would be Tenzone, but that one is pretty fast, make sure you blade is not too fast. 

If you are paying for lessons that means you can afford good rubber, so definitely don't buy anything chinese. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 9:55pm
Your USATT 1650, so playing with T05 on a medium-fast blade should not be a problem for other than the horrible price. Why do you think you have to play with T05 or T05fx? There are tons of excellent rubbers out there designed for the looper that won't break the bank.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2012 at 10:08pm
what blade do you use?
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:29am
@andy.h

Hi, Andrey
you are welcomed to http://ttw.ru
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:30am
DHS Hurricane or DHS Skyline might suit you better because you prefer to brush loop on your FH.

Tenergy are really in my opinion more for hitting.  Like drives and smashes.  They can brush loop too, but because of the softer sponges they aren't as good as in my opinion.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:38am
Ha! I was playing at Westchester only 2 weeks ago! Anyway, I'll throw in rakza 7 for the forehand and rakza 7 soft for the backhand.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 7:55am
@andy.h: primorac off- and two soft rubbers
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Jerem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

@andy.h: primorac off- and two soft rubbers

+1
But T05FX Bh and T05 would be perfect if you can afford that.
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 9:41am
Never try Ternegy so can't say but I think Rakza 7 soft or Pryde soft or Acuda S3 might be some options for you.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 9:42am
totally agree T05 is great for those who can afford it. personally i do not think the price is all that bad since i change my rubber once every 6 months or so and $300 a year on my rubber is pretty good. club fees, coaching and gas money cost more than that easily
RSM Special Platinum T64
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 9:45am
DHS Hurricane or DHS Skyline might suit you better because you prefer to brush loop on your FH
It`s a common mistake. Hurricanes and Skylines are NOT for brush looping. Of course, you can brushloop with them, but it`s not their main funtion. They are FOR LOOPDRIVING with powerful swing.

Subj: Korbel + 2xT05 1.9mm or 2xAcuda S2 2.0 will do the job.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 9:58am
Originally posted by GSOM_GSOM11 GSOM_GSOM11 wrote:

DHS Hurricane or DHS Skyline might suit you better because you prefer to brush loop on your FH
It`s a common mistake. Hurricanes and Skylines are NOT for brush looping. Of course, you can brushloop with them, but it`s not their main funtion. They are FOR LOOPDRIVING with powerful swing.

Subj: Korbel + 2xT05 1.9mm or 2xAcuda S2 2.0 will do the job.

thank you, i agree with you, to get power, spin and speed my coach told me to loop drive when using h3 and it does work with that rubber

Edited by mikepong - 06/15/2012 at 10:00am
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

andy.h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy.h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 10:32am
Thank you all for your responses. 

On that video I am using Photino + T05FX fh + Donic Coppa Silver bh. I really like soft rubbers. I tried hard rubbers before and I guess my level of play is not good enough for hard rubbers. 

I feel as if the ball bounces off the paddle before I have a chance to aim it properly. With soft rubbers I can feel the ball stay on the paddle while I carry it forward.

The reason I asked for your advice is that I feel I need more control on slow loops. If I do a big swing and go for a "big" loop my current setup feels good, but when it comes to slow controlled loops and placement rather than power then it kinda fails. 

So I was thinking about BTY Primorac + Xiom Vega Europe 2.0 fx + Xiom Vega Elite 2.0 bh, which is exactly what garwor suggests, right?

What do you think?

BTW, I totally agree that club memberships, lessons, tournament fees, gas and even a couple of bottles of water per evening of play totally make rubber price sort of insignificant if you change it once per 6-12 month, which is what I do. However, yes, I too don't understand why Butterfly rubbers cost twice as much comparing to any other rubber on the market :)

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:05pm
I briefly looked at your video and here is what I suggest - DON"T CHANGE A THING!

You seem to be developing your game. You make most shots ( in controlled training environment ) and you miss few - which is ok. Its just what one would expect when learning.

Here is an interesting thing to note. It is harder to learn to loop slow consistently than to loop hard. Maybe some people would disagree, but soft loop requires a special kind of touch and if you are just beginning to improve - it will be a while for you to develop that extra touch of control. No rubber will guarantee an improvement in this area. Sure you can go with a thinner sponge or a softer sponge, but it will not help your touch. Its just a skill you will need to learn.

For now, focus on shortening your strokes and maintaining your balance in transitions between the forehand and backhand. Also try to maintain your balance when stepping out of the way to use the forehand ( when the ball comes to your middle ). Work on slower loops by varying the timing when you can contact the ball.

Your equipment will open up more potential as you unlock the various skills in your game. Good luck!
Back to table tennis...
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Here is an interesting thing to note. It is harder to learn to loop slow consistently than to loop hard. Maybe some people would disagree, but soft loop requires a special kind of touch and if you are just beginning to improve - it will be a while for you to develop that extra touch of control. No rubber will guarantee an improvement in this area. Sure you can go with a thinner sponge or a softer sponge, but it will not help your touch. Its just a skill you will need to learn.
Totally agree!!!  Some people would disagree, of course (one of them would be my practice partner who has been insisting on developing hard loop and doesn't think soft, slow loop is needed for becoming a strong player).

FireHorse
Current Setup:
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:41pm
Leshxa is right.. just go ahead and get more practice. The most important thing is to invest your time and energy.

As for the equipment - Photino is a great blade that can last you till you hit 2700 (why not...)

The rubbers - playing with Tenergies is OK for the player who already knows he wants to stick with them. Then yes, the price issue becomes not that important and not extremely relevant, too.

But you are a developing player who is also in search for the right equipment - at least for the next 6-12 months. And experimenting with rubbers at the price level of Tenergy series is very harmful to your wallet.

Here is my advice on which cheap rubbers to try (and where to buy them):

Yinhe (Galaxy) Mars II 37-39 deg Black or 39-41 degrees Red (FH only!) - ttxonline
Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight 35-40 degrees, both sides - ColesTT
Gambler Outlaw Golden Cake (lavender) sponge, both sides - Zeropong, ColesTT
LKT Rapid Speed, both sides, but more on FH - Zeropong or ColesTT

all of them are 14-17 dollars per sheet

Cheaper tensors

Xiom Omega IV Europe (FH), Palio Blitz 2.0 (BH) - from ttnpp.com

===========

You can try them all for less than the price of one pair of Tenergies. Then decide which ones you like best on your FH/BH and go ahead with more and more practice.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 12:48pm
Agreed, don't change.

If you change, you will stunt your growth. Theres always something different between rubbers, and if you're not totally farmilliar wih your rubbers and blade its hard to get better.

I used to change my equipment a lot. It took a lot of my money, and it also didn't do me very good. Just as I was about to get used to my equipment, I changed it. I got better when I stopped tinkering with my equipment.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Totally agree!!!  Some people would disagree, of course (one of them would be my practice partner who has been insisting on developing hard loop and doesn't think soft, slow loop is needed for becoming a strong player).

FireHorse

I am beginning to experience it again - the need to develop a better slow loop. Against better players that are able to block the hard loops, spin and placement is the only answer. The harder you go, the riskier the shot is and more likely one would lose on percentages.

Back to table tennis...
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Agreed, don't change.

If you change, you will stunt your growth. Theres always something different between rubbers, and if you're not totally farmilliar wih your rubbers and blade its hard to get better.

I used to change my equipment a lot. It took a lot of my money, and it also didn't do me very good. Just as I was about to get used to my equipment, I changed it. I got better when I stopped tinkering with my equipment.
Sounds like you cure your EJ bug while I'm still on it Smile

Anyway, I agree with you on too much equipment experiment, it doesn't help in my case.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

FireHorse

I am beginning to experience it again - the need to develop a better slow loop. Against better players that are able to block the hard loops, spin and placement is the only answer. The harder you go, the riskier the shot is and more likely one would lose on percentages.
I guess that we need to have varieties in our strokes and I personally think both slow loop and hard loop are needed since without one of them, we will not be a very good offensive player (and of course, with a lot of other things too but we're talking about loops here).

FireHorse
Current Setup:
helmsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:06pm
Before changing equipment one should ask himself what he doesn't like in the current setup and what he'd like to change. Thus based on OP I'd join those suggesting to keep the current racket and concentrate on practice.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:07pm
I think that your equipment is fine but the only thing I noticed about T05FX is that for me it is way less consistent than regular T05 and I would not suggest that anyone use it IMHO. T05 is just way too good of a rubber to mess with. Sure it has control issues, but these can be overcome with practice and you can shore up the control of the game with your backhand rubber being more chill. I use a much more control oriented rubber on the backhand (see signature) and I really like it. I will try T64 on backhand one day, but for now I like these two rubbers. Maybe Photino interacts differently with FX than on my ZLC but I just felt it was WAY too soft and unpredictable -- with a very few exceptional loops. The setup I use is great because I get incredible backhand blocks and very consistent loops, pushes and even chops. Then T05 lets me open up underspin service to loops. I would give T05 a try.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

I think that your equipment is fine but the only thing I noticed about T05FX is that for me it is way less consistent than regular T05 and I would not suggest that anyone use it IMHO. T05 is just way too good of a rubber to mess with. Sure it has control issues, but these can be overcome with practice and you can shore up the control of the game with your backhand rubber being more chill. I use a much more control oriented rubber on the backhand (see signature) and I really like it. I will try T64 on backhand one day, but for now I like these two rubbers. Maybe Photino interacts differently with FX than on my ZLC but I just felt it was WAY too soft and unpredictable -- with a very few exceptional loops. The setup I use is great because I get incredible backhand blocks and very consistent loops, pushes and even chops. Then T05 lets me open up underspin service to loops. I would give T05 a try.

+1.
Though if you really insist on a completely soft forehand, get Rakza 7 soft.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:10pm
My POV was always that playing with Tenergy series rubbers for 99% of the  players below USATT-2000 level (especially for a developing player) is not only unnecessary, it is also counterproductive.

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

My POV was always that playing with Tenergy series rubbers for 99% of the  players below USATT-2000 level (especially for a developing player) is not only unnecessary, it is also counterproductive.

I think under 2000 is just too high of a bar. I think at 1600 its fair to say Tenergy is an option-- not for everyone of course. But if you loop with any regularity its going to help a lot of players. The game is just different with this rubber on the market. Yes, your stroke will change with Tenergy, and you have to fight laziness, and the tendency to do the lame T05 half stroke. I know this well, but even with these disadvantages, I think Tenergy is a viable rubber for sub 2000 players given that they are committed to improvement and want to continue refining their strokes and footwork.

I think Mark V is the best all around rubber to develop on starting at 1.8 on a crisp more stiff blade and moving to 2.0 as they increase in skill. Moving to T05 after this should be fairly intuitive IMHO, but of course everyone is different and my thoughts here could never apply to everyone.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I think under 2000 is just too high of a bar. I think at 1600 its fair to say Tenergy is an option-- not for everyone of course. But if you loop with any regularity its going to help a lot of players. The game is just different with this rubber on the market. Yes, your stroke will change with Tenergy, and you have to fight laziness, and the tendency to do the lame T05 half stroke. I know this well, but even with these disadvantages, I think Tenergy is a viable rubber for sub 2000 players given that they are committed to improvement and want to continue refining their strokes and footwork.

I think Mark V is the best all around rubber to develop on starting at 1.8 on a crisp more stiff blade and moving to 2.0 as they increase in skill. Moving to T05 after this should be fairly intuitive IMHO, but of course everyone is different and my thoughts here could never apply to everyone.

I am not saying that a 1600-1900 player cannot play with Tenergy. I am saying that

a) he doesn't have to (there are tons of replacements, some of which will certainly be better for that player than Tenergy; and three times cheaper, too)

b) if he is still a developing player then Tenergy will actually hurt the development (first of all, developing proper technique should not be done with Tenergy, second, in some shots player is helped by Tenergy's qualities which prevents him from learning  the proper stroke, third, in some shots, player will be hampered by Tenergy's sensitivity which will present unnecessary extra difficulties in learning... etc)

Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 4:07pm

Thanks for the reinforcement of the slow loop.  At times I wonder whether I should loop hard more often. 

When we say slow loop, are we referring to softly brushing the ball? I softly brush the ball to receive certain serves or for transitional purpose. 

For the hard loops, do we have the variation of that so we have a hard drive and a hard brush.  A hard brush has less speed than the drive but higher arc?   

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 8:15pm
acud s2 or s3 .. or both of them s2 for FH and s3 for Bh... s2 is reany nice play with... use an all+ off - blade it shuld do no harm.. or  jsut get s2 for fh and keep the coppa silver
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2012 at 8:25pm
1600 level players do much better on Vega Pro than T05, if you are on T05 you can switch and see yourself. That switch always brings a rating increase 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic