tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Pictures & Videos > Videos

Videos of MYTT Members Playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

My wins in the O40 PA State Event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm-Gt7_yMuM

Couldn't play after because my right knee issues were aggravated but I was proud of the wins.
Nice play. 
I had issues (right shoulder) once and stopped table tennis completely for 2 months until a complete recovery.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

My wins in the O40 PA State Event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm-Gt7_yMuM

Couldn't play after because my right knee issues were aggravated but I was proud of the wins.
Nice play. 
I had issues (right shoulder) once and stopped table tennis completely for 2 months until a complete recovery.
Thanks.  Yeah, I would do that but I have RA so I never know whether anything will ever heal.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/10/2017 at 6:02pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Donier RR Off Oversized FL
FH: Hexer 2.1 B
BH: Hexer 2.1 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 1:30pm
It's been a long time since I've posted a video of my playing or even bothered to record and look at one.  This one was an eye opener in that I had not realized how much I had fallen into the habit of "safely" pushing back almost every serve. That's a pretty bad habit.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 2:03pm
Bad habit hmmmm
I only watched the first game but your returns gave your opponent lots of problems and he could not get in his 3rd ball attacks with any consistency. But yes, mix that with a more aggressive attack now and then.

>60yo, 60lbs overweight

Darker Speed 90 + Tibhar EL-S / EL-S

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
benfb View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 5:02pm
I'm not sure that pushing so much was a bad idea here.  Maybe you had subconsciously figured out that it was your best strategy with this opponent.  He clearly had trouble with his attack, particularly attacking underspin.  When you pushed, he either pushed back (setting you up for a good attack) or he attacked (with a low percentage of success).  In the rallies where you started the aggression first, that allowed him to loop or block top spin and he did much better in those rallies.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 8:07pm
Please keep in mind that Jay plays hardbat so there isn't that much underspin on the ball. Ashutosh generally doesn't like the serve returns fairly short and low as he doesn't move in well. He likes to play fast and if he gets in the ball in his strike zone his loops are very good. It certainly helps that I know both players...

Edited by Matt Pimple - 05/16/2017 at 10:55pm
Dr. N Matador ST; Nittaku DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer Rhino 1.8

My Feedback
benfb View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Please keep in mind that Jay plays hardbat so there isn't that much underspin on the ball. Ashutosh generally doesn't like the serve returns fairly short and low as he doesn't move in well. He likes to play fast and if he gets in the ball in his strike zone his loops are very good. I certainly helps that I know both players...

I know Jay and I had the same impression about Ashutosh just from watching the videos.  I just thought that Jay played smart and didn't need to be down on himself.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 1:46am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I just thought that Jay played smart and didn't need to be down on himself.

I agree with you on that!
Dr. N Matador ST; Nittaku DHS H3 Neo 2.1, Dr. Neubauer Rhino 1.8

My Feedback
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 3:34am

I'm not sure that pushing so much was a bad idea here.  Maybe you had subconsciously figured out that it was your best strategy with this opponent.  He clearly had trouble with his attack, particularly attacking underspin.  When you pushed, he either pushed back (setting you up for a good attack) or he attacked (with a low percentage of success).  In the rallies where you started the aggression first, that allowed him to loop or block top spin and he did much better in those rallies.

Even when pushing is working well, I think a player should still be mixing it up a bit.  Failing to do so makes it easier for your opponent to get comfortable with your returns.  And that can lead to mistakes in pushing as you try to place the push too low or locate it with too much risk. I think I was actually a bit lucky that Ashutosh didn't get more aggressive against my returns.

The problem of pushing too many returns is actually more apparent in a match that I won after being being down two games to zero and 9-3 in the third game.  I salvaged that third game with luck and a subtle change in serve strategy that revealed a weakness in my opponent's game that day. That weakness was the edge I needed to win the next two games. I didn't post that match because it was a poster child for the concept of "winning ugly." 

Your comment about Ashutosh doing much better in the rallies where I initiated the aggression surprised me a bit.  That wasn't my perception.  I do agree that it is a poor strategy for me to get into topspin to topspin rallies though.  But I still think it is to my advantage to be aggressive.  But I need to make that first strike strong enough to prevent a strong counter.  But your comment got me wondering if I was actually being successful in that or not.

So I just went through and simply tallied up the points where I initiated the aggression.  The first number is the number of time I initiated and lost the point.  The second number is when I initiated and lost the point.  The W or L indicates whether I won or lost that game.
G1 4-6 L
G2 6-2 W
G3 3-5 L
G4 4-1 W
G5 5-4 W

Total 22 - 18

The pattern is clear and not surprising. So while Ashutosh may have been more successful when I opened up than when I didn't (will have to do a different tally to check that), the key seems to be that when I'm aggressive, I need to make sure that I'm more successful than he is. Kinda obvious I guess.  But it is interesting how well the numbers bear that out in this match.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 3:43am

I know Jay and I had the same impression about Ashutosh just from watching the videos.  I just thought that Jay played smart and didn't need to be down on himself.

I'm not down on myself.  Sorry if I lent that impression.  I'm just trying to constructively criticize my play so I will do better down the road.  

Given that I'm playing hardbat against sponge, I tend to approach matches with the idea that I need to be better tactically against challenging opponents.  So I really do try to "play smart." It is a fools errand for me to try to win using power as a main strategy - unless my opponent is a defensive player or is clearly weaker than I am. While I do enjoy counter-looping against inverted, it isn't my best percentage play. :^)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

It's been a long time since I've posted a video of my playing or even bothered to record and look at one.  This one was an eye opener in that I had not realized how much I had fallen into the habit of "safely" pushing back almost every serve. That's a pretty bad habit.

Nice hardbat play! I agree, you should mix up your service returns.  However, I could tell his serves were very precise and heavy so I can understand choosing a safer push rather than a flip.  I once encountered a prominent full-time hardbatter that flips all his serve returns and it can backfire too.  I suppose finding the right balance and mixing it up is the key.

By the way, congrats on the SF showing in the U2K.  That event was full of mid-1900s.  Good showing.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 12:54am

Quick video of my cross court footwork that I've been working on lately. Wanted to see how my feet/legs move during this particular shot. 

Aint easy being 6'3 in the TT world LOL (knees hurt)
TB ALC ST 84g
2x T05 2.1mm
FS Feedback
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 1:09am
Dreiz, I slapped Karis M+ on the CR blade you sold me and I recognize the venue, I held a few NYC Goon Squad TT adventures there at Flushing Korean...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 1:14am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Dreiz, I slapped Karis M+ on the CR blade you sold me and I recognize the venue, I held a few NYC Goon Squad TT adventures there at Flushing Korean...

Haha nice, did you forget I shook your hand when you were there a while back, I believe opinari was there too.
TB ALC ST 84g
2x T05 2.1mm
FS Feedback
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 2:45am
That was TT Mission #1 back then haha. Toooooo many names and faces, too much TT to play, too much trouble to cause... :D
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Nice hardbat play! I agree, you should mix up your service returns.  However, I could tell his serves were very precise and heavy so I can understand choosing a safer push rather than a flip.  I once encountered a prominent full-time hardbatter that flips all his serve returns and it can backfire too.  I suppose finding the right balance and mixing it up is the key.

By the way, congrats on the SF showing in the U2K.  That event was full of mid-1900s.  Good showing.

Thanks.  But that was an event that I think I should/could win.  I played a tight match in the Semi-Final.

And yes, mixing it up is certainly key for me.  I'm not going to overpower my opponent with spin. I've been focusing on looking for opportunities topspin more serve returns.  And it certainly changes the dynamic of the match and helps make my opponents less comfortable.  It also helps make me more confident with other backhand shots.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

That was TT Mission #1 back then haha. Toooooo many names and faces, too much TT to play, too much trouble to cause... :D

I still go there once/twice a week to play and practice as you can see. Its our usual meet up spot since everyone i train with lives around queens for the most part.

Hope you are enjoying the SSCBs i sent ya!

Edited by DreiZ - 05/27/2017 at 10:05pm
TB ALC ST 84g
2x T05 2.1mm
FS Feedback
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 10:12pm
I played a close match with the top junior from my club at the San Diego Open last week.

edit:  took down video for now, video quality issue, will be back later

Ted was rated 2187 at the time of the match, my rating was 2047.

Edited by schen - 06/04/2017 at 10:37pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated June 8

UC San Diego Varsity
HL5 cpen | H3N | Fastarc G-1
GTeaLatte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTeaLatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 10:39pm
I live in the Queens area around NYITTC in Flushing, NY. Where is this Korean table tennis club and how much is membership? NYITTC's 80$ a month is more expensive than my gym membership...
Stiga Rosewood NCT V
FH: Stiga Genesis M red
BH: Stiga Mantra S black
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 1:26am
Fixed the video:

UC San Diego Varsity
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by GTeaLatte GTeaLatte wrote:

I live in the Queens area around NYITTC in Flushing, NY. Where is this Korean table tennis club and how much is membership? NYITTC's 80$ a month is more expensive than my gym membership...

TB ALC ST 84g
2x T05 2.1mm
FS Feedback
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Originally posted by GTeaLatte GTeaLatte wrote:

That's expensive! $840 a year membership?? That's the same price as my 5-person family membership.
(Blade-FH-BH)
-BBC 1 ply Cypress 10mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.15mm 39 deg
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Fixed the video:

I liked it when you played modern defender briefly.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Me too haha.  I still do it for fun every now and then, but in the end I play better as a penholder despite being prone to injury more often with that grip and play style.

UC San Diego Varsity
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 6:21pm

Me too haha.  I still do it for fun every now and then, but in the end I play better as a penholder despite being prone to injury more often with that grip and play style.

I was rewatching your compilation video of you playing defender and you're probably right. As fun as it was to watch, your real points seemed to have been won by attacking, even with your short pips (Spectol if I remember correctly?).

You seemed to have a pretty good handle on how to play shakehand. If you're prone to injury playing penhold, why not play as an attacking shakehand player.

I've become more and more disillusioned by short pips lately. I feel that you can play a nice flat hitting game even better with inverted rubber ever since the new ball came out. For it to even be actually weird I think one would have to attack with a long pip a la Deng Yaping or Ai Fukuhara when she used Feint Long 3 to attack on the backhand. As far as short pip chopping goes, again, because of the new ball I think you would be better off chopping with a slow and spinny inverted rubber to generate spin or with a long pip to reverse spin.

At first I thought that with the increased control of the new ball short pips would make a resurgence but it seems to have done the opposite.
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 6:31pm

I was rewatching your compilation video of you playing defender and you're probably right. As fun as it was to watch, your real points seemed to have been won by attacking, even with your short pips (Spectol if I remember correctly?).

You seemed to have a pretty good handle on how to play shakehand. If you're prone to injury playing penhold, why not play as an attacking shakehand player.

I've become more and more disillusioned by short pips lately. I feel that you can play a nice flat hitting game even better with inverted rubber ever since the new ball came out. For it to even be actually weird I think one would have to attack with a long pip a la Deng Yaping or Ai Fukuhara when she used Feint Long 3 to attack on the backhand. As far as short pip chopping goes, again, because of the new ball I think you would be better off chopping with a slow and spinny inverted rubber to generate spin or with a long pip to reverse spin.

At first I thought that with the increased control of the new ball short pips would make a resurgence but it seems to have done the opposite.

I agree about the short pips attacking difficulty with the plastic ball (at least difficult with thin sponge spectol).  As a chopper, when I did attack it was rarely done with my pips for that reason.

And the reason I never played the inverted two-wing offensive shakehand style was because my shakehand backhand was just awful Pinch.

UC San Diego Varsity
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 11:20am
Trying to adjust my backhand stroke to use less wrist, more forearm. Using lots of wrist hasn't worked well for me in the plastic ball era. I'm topspinning here vs classic penhold (and often nasty) short pips blocking.

Edited by heavyspin - 06/13/2017 at 11:21am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 11:38am
HS-  Your BH is now perfect if you play SP.
benfb View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Trying to adjust my backhand stroke to use less wrist, more forearm. Using lots of wrist hasn't worked well for me in the plastic ball era. I'm topspinning here vs classic penhold (and often nasty) short pips blocking.

I've always used the forearm style for BH loops instead of the wristy motion.  However, I notice that many juniors who get training from Chinese coaches favor a stroke that is mostly wrist, rather than forearm.  So, I've wondered from time to time if I should switch to using more wrist and less forearm.  What makes you think that more forearm will work better with plastic balls?

I will say that if you're going to step off the table, you might want to add some body rotation to your forearm stroke.  I don't do a big body rotation (I lose my consistency when I try too much) but some rotation adds both power and increases the size of the hitting zone (aiding consistency).  The forearm only motion works best when you're close  to the table.

By the way, one of my practice partners also hits short pips to my BH.  It's different practice from spinning against smooth because the ball is slow and with less spin.  I think you're going to need to practice against both SP and smooth.

Edited by benfb - 06/13/2017 at 12:40pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 12:36pm
Not sure what you mean by lots of wrist, heavyspin, but those are the best backhands I have seen you hit with any ball.

I have been backhand looping against all types of surfaces and spins for 4 years and I think the ficersity helps but less spin makes the technique better. I meed to read better.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/13/2017 at 12:38pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Donier RR Off Oversized FL
FH: Hexer 2.1 B
BH: Hexer 2.1 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
  Share Topic