Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Videos of MYTT Members Playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 2:45am
That was TT Mission #1 back then haha. Toooooo many names and faces, too much TT to play, too much trouble to cause... :D
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

It's been a long time since I've posted a video of my playing or even bothered to record and look at one.  This one was an eye opener in that I had not realized how much I had fallen into the habit of "safely" pushing back almost every serve. That's a pretty bad habit.

Nice hardbat play! I agree, you should mix up your service returns.  However, I could tell his serves were very precise and heavy so I can understand choosing a safer push rather than a flip.  I once encountered a prominent full-time hardbatter that flips all his serve returns and it can backfire too.  I suppose finding the right balance and mixing it up is the key.

By the way, congrats on the SF showing in the U2K.  That event was full of mid-1900s.  Good showing.

Thanks.  But that was an event that I think I should/could win.  I played a tight match in the Semi-Final.

And yes, mixing it up is certainly key for me.  I'm not going to overpower my opponent with spin. I've been focusing on looking for opportunities topspin more serve returns.  And it certainly changes the dynamic of the match and helps make my opponents less comfortable.  It also helps make me more confident with other backhand shots.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

That was TT Mission #1 back then haha. Toooooo many names and faces, too much TT to play, too much trouble to cause... :D

I still go there once/twice a week to play and practice as you can see. Its our usual meet up spot since everyone i train with lives around queens for the most part.

Hope you are enjoying the SSCBs i sent ya!

Edited by DreiZ - 05/27/2017 at 10:05pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 10:12pm
I played a close match with the top junior from my club at the San Diego Open last week.

edit:  took down video for now, video quality issue, will be back later

Ted was rated 2187 at the time of the match, my rating was 2047.

Edited by schen - 06/04/2017 at 10:37pm
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
GTeaLatte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTeaLatte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2017 at 10:39pm
I live in the Queens area around NYITTC in Flushing, NY. Where is this Korean table tennis club and how much is membership? NYITTC's 80$ a month is more expensive than my gym membership...
Stiga Rosewood NCT V
FH: Stiga Genesis M red
BH: Stiga Mantra S black
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 1:26am
Fixed the video:

Dynasty / H3 / H3
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by GTeaLatte GTeaLatte wrote:

I live in the Queens area around NYITTC in Flushing, NY. Where is this Korean table tennis club and how much is membership? NYITTC's 80$ a month is more expensive than my gym membership...

Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Originally posted by GTeaLatte GTeaLatte wrote:

That's expensive! $840 a year membership?? That's the same price as my 5-person family membership.
-1 ply Cypress 11.5mm "The Castigator"
-H3 Prov. Blue Sponge 2.2mm 41 deg.
-H3 Prov. Orange Sponge 2.1mm 37 deg
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Fixed the video:

I liked it when you played modern defender briefly.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Me too haha.  I still do it for fun every now and then, but in the end I play better as a penholder despite being prone to injury more often with that grip and play style.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 6:21pm

Me too haha.  I still do it for fun every now and then, but in the end I play better as a penholder despite being prone to injury more often with that grip and play style.

I was rewatching your compilation video of you playing defender and you're probably right. As fun as it was to watch, your real points seemed to have been won by attacking, even with your short pips (Spectol if I remember correctly?).

You seemed to have a pretty good handle on how to play shakehand. If you're prone to injury playing penhold, why not play as an attacking shakehand player.

I've become more and more disillusioned by short pips lately. I feel that you can play a nice flat hitting game even better with inverted rubber ever since the new ball came out. For it to even be actually weird I think one would have to attack with a long pip a la Deng Yaping or Ai Fukuhara when she used Feint Long 3 to attack on the backhand. As far as short pip chopping goes, again, because of the new ball I think you would be better off chopping with a slow and spinny inverted rubber to generate spin or with a long pip to reverse spin.

At first I thought that with the increased control of the new ball short pips would make a resurgence but it seems to have done the opposite.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2017 at 6:31pm

I was rewatching your compilation video of you playing defender and you're probably right. As fun as it was to watch, your real points seemed to have been won by attacking, even with your short pips (Spectol if I remember correctly?).

You seemed to have a pretty good handle on how to play shakehand. If you're prone to injury playing penhold, why not play as an attacking shakehand player.

I've become more and more disillusioned by short pips lately. I feel that you can play a nice flat hitting game even better with inverted rubber ever since the new ball came out. For it to even be actually weird I think one would have to attack with a long pip a la Deng Yaping or Ai Fukuhara when she used Feint Long 3 to attack on the backhand. As far as short pip chopping goes, again, because of the new ball I think you would be better off chopping with a slow and spinny inverted rubber to generate spin or with a long pip to reverse spin.

At first I thought that with the increased control of the new ball short pips would make a resurgence but it seems to have done the opposite.

I agree about the short pips attacking difficulty with the plastic ball (at least difficult with thin sponge spectol).  As a chopper, when I did attack it was rarely done with my pips for that reason.

And the reason I never played the inverted two-wing offensive shakehand style was because my shakehand backhand was just awful Pinch.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 11:20am
Trying to adjust my backhand stroke to use less wrist, more forearm. Using lots of wrist hasn't worked well for me in the plastic ball era. I'm topspinning here vs classic penhold (and often nasty) short pips blocking.

Edited by heavyspin - 06/13/2017 at 11:21am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 11:38am
HS-  Your BH is now perfect if you play SP.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Trying to adjust my backhand stroke to use less wrist, more forearm. Using lots of wrist hasn't worked well for me in the plastic ball era. I'm topspinning here vs classic penhold (and often nasty) short pips blocking.

I've always used the forearm style for BH loops instead of the wristy motion.  However, I notice that many juniors who get training from Chinese coaches favor a stroke that is mostly wrist, rather than forearm.  So, I've wondered from time to time if I should switch to using more wrist and less forearm.  What makes you think that more forearm will work better with plastic balls?

I will say that if you're going to step off the table, you might want to add some body rotation to your forearm stroke.  I don't do a big body rotation (I lose my consistency when I try too much) but some rotation adds both power and increases the size of the hitting zone (aiding consistency).  The forearm only motion works best when you're close  to the table.

By the way, one of my practice partners also hits short pips to my BH.  It's different practice from spinning against smooth because the ball is slow and with less spin.  I think you're going to need to practice against both SP and smooth.

Edited by benfb - 06/13/2017 at 12:40pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 12:36pm
Not sure what you mean by lots of wrist, heavyspin, but those are the best backhands I have seen you hit with any ball.

I have been backhand looping against all types of surfaces and spins for 4 years and I think the ficersity helps but less spin makes the technique better. I meed to read better.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/13/2017 at 12:38pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 12:55pm
I should rephrase "less wrist, more forearm" to less closed faced contact, more open faced contact which naturally allows more power from the forearm and less spin from the wrist. My closed faced contact over the top of the ball required lots of wrist and friction between rubber and ball.

Edited by heavyspin - 06/13/2017 at 12:56pm
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 4:34pm
heavy, maybe a little more forward motion when doing topspin to topspin...seems you are doing a bh loop for underspin which may make you a little late to the ball. But what do i know...Tongue

Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2017 at 4:41pm

I should rephrase "less wrist, more forearm" to less closed faced contact, more open faced contact which naturally allows more power from the forearm and less spin from the wrist. My closed faced contact over the top of the ball required lots of wrist and friction between rubber and ball.

This has always been my default preference as I find it more powerful snd consistent, though possibly at the loss of speed in certain situations if you cant reload and shorten the stroke.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2017 at 11:49pm
I noticed a video of me on page 1 back in 2011 so I decided to post this. I took 2012 to 2015 off from the sport and got back into it last year or so.

Disclaimers: 
-finally starting to get back to my 2012 levels of play
-takes a while with only 1 day a week
-carrying an extra 30 pounds

Here's what i can see that i need to work on:
1) i need more time to get in position, and execute better strokes - I think i am crowding the table
2) my footwork is almost nonexistant
3) i am not staying low enough
4) my strokes need a much more circular recovery so i can better reset my footwork
5) i often tense my wrist; not dropping it on FH and not starting a backswing on my BH

all matches are against a player who is about 1 tier higher due to much greater consistency and better defense/allround play. i regularly lose games to Milo 11-8. I lost at least 5 practice matches today (2-3, 2-3, 1-3, 1-3, 0-3)

A match where I play awful and make a lot of unforced errors

I've also included my best game win (where I focus on offense)
(warning, excessive celebration when i BH kill off the bounce)

and a competitive 12-10 match that i lose

Pardon the air conditioner noise in several of the uploads.

I'm wearing the hat. Milo is in Red.

Edited by icontek - 07/15/2017 at 12:07am
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 1:45am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

(warning, excessive celebration when i BH kill off the bounce)

Yeah but it was a sick backhand though.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 2:15am
Good rallies icontek, Milos puts a lot of balls back!
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 9:10am
One of the more colorful TT venues, icontek. You often get caught too close to the table on deep balls. Sometimes it causes you try to make a stroke while back peddling and the weight shift in the opposite direction is a power leak and source of inconsistency. If you have time to react to the deep ball, step back first then stroke. If you don't have time, choose a safer option such as push or block. 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 9:17am
Can I have some tips/criticisms on my forehand with Chinese rubber?

Feel like I'm adapting well it's my first session back after an ankle injury :)

https://youtu.be/BJTKeKX3qO8

Edited by SmackDAT - 07/15/2017 at 9:19am
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Can I have some tips/criticisms on my forehand with Chinese rubber?

Feel like I'm adapting well it's my first session back after an ankle injury :)

https://youtu.be/BJTKeKX3qO8

A longer Video might be a good idea if you could. Some Drills maybe or something match based just to get a better idea of how things are going. Cracking one off backhand btw !

You playing BL Seniors next year?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2017 at 10:47pm

One of the more colorful TT venues, icontek. You often get caught too close to the table on deep balls. Sometimes it causes you try to make a stroke while back peddling and the weight shift in the opposite direction is a power leak and source of inconsistency. If you have time to react to the deep ball, step back first then stroke. If you don't have time, choose a safer option such as push or block. 

Thank you for the feedback. I feel that power leak and struggle with letting the incoming ball dictate my mechanics, rather than choosing a position to receive and approach the ball.

I feel like i should be playing further away from the table than my usual desire to dink / push / drop shot game requires.

I know that 3-4 feet back is where I have time to react to a greater variety of shots and can still apply some pressure, but I've been chided for giving up too much table (and angles) to my opponent. 

By my thinking, it should be easier to move forward than backward. Perhaps I should work on getting into a more neutral, but slightly further back position for both serve receive and immediately after serving?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2017 at 4:06pm
I'm in blue shirt, opponent uses lp on bh:

Edited by garwor - 07/16/2017 at 4:12pm
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2017 at 8:04am
The most fun table tennis tournament in America coming in 2 months in Atlanta. Enjoy our small promo video. Open to all.... Non sanctioned... Great prize money

Edited by naijachief - 07/25/2017 at 8:06am
who no know go know
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 4:23pm
I'm not really planning on making any more threads for our videos, but as it is 10 years now since he started playing on a table, this was us a couple of days back for anyone still interested.

He still plays pretty much every day, but he has hardly played any tournaments for the last 2 years. He will be putting that right next year as he is at the top of the cadet age range with a point to prove.

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2017 at 5:15pm
Is he only playing with you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>
  Share Topic