Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how long can a rubber last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kennyc23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyc23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how long can a rubber last?
    Posted: 07/20/2012 at 11:28am
how long can a typical/tenergy rubber last?

Sponsored Links

Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2012 at 11:42am

You can use the search function and you will find many posts about it. If you want a specific answer tell us the average hours of weekly play, your style and your level.

Edit: Also which Tenergy - i guess 05? - and i dont know if thickness or color may play any role.

Edited by Stoi - 07/20/2012 at 11:44am
Mahdi_mak2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi_mak2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2012 at 1:24pm
I exercise 3 hour a day/ 3 times week. totally 9 hours a week.
T05 last for only 4 month despite i clean it after exercise.
BTY Viscaria
BH : Tenergy 05
FH : Tenergy 05
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2012 at 3:30pm
even though the accounts vary it is universally agreed that is lasts a very long time. My very first sheet of tenergy is approaching 1 yr and still has a very stron bite, even though the topsheet has miscolorations and has thinned out. I don't use it at the club any more but use it at work. I just can't understand how it's possible to still bite like that after thousands of loops.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

even though the accounts vary it is universally agreed that is lasts a very long time. My very first sheet of tenergy is approaching 1 yr and still has a very stron bite, even though the topsheet has miscolorations and has thinned out. I don't use it at the club any more but use it at work. I just can't understand how it's possible to still bite like that after thousands of loops.

Personally, I don't understand how it's possible to NOT have a good bite after just a few thousand loops, especially at the level most people play at.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by my H3, but it plays exactly as new after 6 months, and I hit pretty damn hard.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Mahdi_mak2000 Mahdi_mak2000 wrote:

I exercise 3 hour a day/ 3 times week. totally 9 hours a week.
T05 last for only 4 month despite i clean it after exercise.

what do you clean it with?

some of the "cleaning products" sold by tt stores are frankly designed to deteriorate your rubbers

if you're using a sponge, stop
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 12:17am
I suppose we are talking about nature wear. My T64 usable life can last for one year. But mostly it was not because nature wear it was because hit on the table or scratched on the table edge.
ping pong amateur,...

BTY Viscaria FL

H3 FH, T64 BH,

My feedback link:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84832&title=feedback-gweipwu
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 12:37am
Some of the old masters of the game change their rubber every 15 or 20 years.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 12:45am
my tenergy has been used for 6 months and still spins well but the wear on it is noticeable.
RSM Special Platinum T64
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 1:09am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Some of the old masters of the game change their rubber every 15 or 20 years.

Yes. I met a guy his rubber surface lost tackiness and even worse the rubber feels slippery. He cannot control it well, too. But he won many top players in the club that day. After games I suggest him change a new rubber he said I never change my rubber for 20 years!
ping pong amateur,...

BTY Viscaria FL

H3 FH, T64 BH,

My feedback link:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84832&title=feedback-gweipwu
gnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 1:11am
The t05 on my fh has lasted a year.
I think 6hrs a week I loop hard with it/play with choppers/ aggressive drills against blocker etc..
the other 6hrs it gets treated nicer.. blocks, serves, pushes..

The sheet looks really bad with a light grey blob on it.  Spin, speed still good but I have a feeling once I get a new sheet of tenergy, it will feel a lot more livelier, and spin will come easier.  A part of me wants to see how long the old sheet will last.

But I have also seen someones t05 get significantly less grippy (after running finger across) in 8 months time playing only 4 hrs a week.  He washes with water and sponge and perhaps not consistently.  I think something like cure water helps preserve rubber better than water.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 3:47am
until more than 20% of the pips break.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
chandro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 3:57am
Boost TC...two pairs for a period of 9 months with games and practise 3-4 times a week, you are ok.
Boost TC plays really nice with carbon/hard blades.
kennyc23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyc23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 6:03am
have you heard of rubbing some olive/sunflower oil on the rubber to bring back the tacky? i tried it myself it works pretty good. 

Edited by kennyc23 - 07/21/2012 at 6:05am
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 12:37am
Originally posted by kennyc23 kennyc23 wrote:

have you heard of rubbing some olive/sunflower oil on the rubber to bring back the tacky? i tried it myself it works pretty good. 

Olive oil can restore some of the grip of the rubber. However, it seems that the oil changes the rubber characteristic a little bit. Anyway, after running finger across the top sheet, If I feel the rubber got significantly less grippy, I will give it a little oil. No matter what happens I will change my rubber around every 6 months (~16 hrs play time per week). It is be'cos I know a new sheet will feel betterLOL.
For the tenergy rubbers, it is easy to tell it is the time that you must replace the rubber. When you run your finger across the top sheet, u feel like sand LOL.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 2:12am
So how would you use "oil" to bring back life to your older rubbers? I assume apply and leave for x hrs, then wipe off? I should prolly try some tyre tweak if that works...... or FXII.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 2:15am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

So how would you use "oil" to bring back life to your older rubbers? I assume apply and leave for x hrs, then wipe off? I should prolly try some tyre tweak if that works...... or FXII.

doesn't take hours... a light coat of oil gets absorbed a lot quicker than you would think
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 2:38am
Originally posted by kennyc23 kennyc23 wrote:

how long can a typical/tenergy rubber last?

Define last.

It is playable for a very long time, but the characteristics of the rubber changes, like every other rubber, pretty quickly. 10-15 hours a week and the T05 last for ~8 weeks before I notice a difference between it and a brand new T05.
The holy grail
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 2:59am
Anti rubber lasts a long time.  None seem to age, they seem to get better with age.
My pips seem to last too except for the few missing pips around the edge of my hard bat with Peacekeeper.
I haven't had the same luck with inverted rubbers.

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 3:20am
If you use non voc glue, and do not remove it from your blade.(when you remove a rubber from your blade it loses tension/shrinks)

It can last YEARS. But like people say, it does not play at 100% forever. My 2+ year old Tenergy was probably at 70%. Imo still better than a new sriver and better than all the 14 dollar chinese rubbers. Like Gnome says, at around 1 year old is when people say goodbye. But it depends on the person. People with big bank accounts will change every few months. People that use voc glue or boost will change more frequently as well. If on the first day you remove the Tenergy, there is a chance you killed it on the first day.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 5:51am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Anti rubber lasts a long time.  None seem to age, they seem to get better with age

A bit of a contradiction, don't you think? They don't seem to age, yet they get better? This is only a case of ageing improving the properties you like with the anti rubber. This usually isn't the case with regular inverted. Besides, I don't like to keep my anti rubbers for to long, as the sponge dies and makes it harder to manipulate the spin.
The holy grail
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 6:13am
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I have never been able to identify broken pips. Maybe I don't have the necessary feelability in my finger tips.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

A bit of a contradiction, don't you think? They don't seem to age, yet they get better?
You are right.  I didn't have my lawyer review my post before I posted.

It should have said
"They don't age or get better with age."
Kind of like good software.

This is only a case of ageing improving the properties you like with the anti rubber.
Yes. Most antis are still too fast but I have also found that putting them on a slower paddle helps a lot.  The blade makes a big difference.

My inverted rubbers seem to last 6 months to 2 years.  Many I don't like after a week and that is just as bad.

Edited by pnachtwey - 07/22/2012 at 1:58pm
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I have never been able to identify broken pips. Maybe I don't have the necessary feelability in my finger tips.

You have to use rubbers for a really long time before the pips start breaking. Rubbers last pretty much forever if you clean the surface with oil to restore grip.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 4:20pm
Mext time, have a lawyer read your post first, or accept it when other's talk about blade speed and energy

Anti being to fast? How slow do you like them? The Nittaku Best Anti is pretty slow, although not extreme in any way. I think that Hallmakr Mirage is the slowest anti I have tried, but that rubber was pretty useless in every other department, so nothing I would recommend.

Now, inverted lasting for 6-24 months? I guess we are talking about being playable here, cause I simply can't see a rubber perform as new for such a long period of time. T05 feels like new to me for roughly 8 weeks, but it's still playable for another 16-20 weeks, but that's about it. Red Diamond that I currently use feels new for roughly 4 weeks, but once it starts losing it's properties, it's downhill very fast and it's only useable for another 8-12 weeks.

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

A bit of a contradiction, don't you think? They don't seem to age, yet they get better?
You are right.  I didn't have my lawyer review my post before I posted.
It should have said
"They don't age or get better with age."
Kind of like good software.
 This is only a case of ageing improving the properties you like with the anti rubber.
Yes. Most antis are still too fast but I have also found that putting them on a slower paddle helps a lot.  The blade makes a big difference.
My inverted rubbers seem to last 6 months to 2 years.  Many I don't like after a week and that is just as bad.

The holy grail
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

doesn't take hours... a light coat of oil gets absorbed a lot quicker than you would think

ya; u are not putting olive oil like u are going to fry egg on your top sheer; just some drops of oil here, then spread it.

Actually, I find that the natural tt rubbers have a longer playable period than the synthetic tt rubbers. The synthetic tt rubbers seem lost their characterizes very fast after 4 ~ 6weeks (~15 hrs per week), but the natural tt rubbers lost their properties in a slower rate after the initial 4~6 weeks. 

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 5:19pm

Mext time, have a lawyer read your post first, or accept it when other's talk about blade speed and energy
You were right.  You caught my mistake.  However, I will continue to point out that blades and rubbers don't generate power unless they are burned.   I think too many people are swayed by all the marketing lies. Someone has to remind people that they supply the power and control.  

Anti being to fast? How slow do you like them? The Nittaku Best Anti is pretty slow, although not extreme in any way.
I know,  I have Best Anti.

I would pretty much use up my TT allowance if I had to buy a pair of T05 every two months.
My three Rakza 7s  are 18 months old.  The Rakza 7 1.8mm on the FH of my  'Ball Whacker' is showing its age and will have to be replaced soon.   It is chipped and heavily used.

I stretched the life of my first set of T05 to two years before I retired the two sheets.  They were badly chipped and the red sheet had a gouge on the edge where I hit the corner of the table. 

My cheap Chinese rubbers seem to last and last unless they are damaged.   They never had the spring effect of a T05 to lose in the first place.   However, my Hurricanes seem to have problems with their sponge very quickly.   One thing I do after cleaning the rubber is to look at how the light reflects off the rubber.   One can tell if the top sheet is smooth this way.  If it isn't then the sponge below that spot has not expanded back to its original position after being compressed.    This is bad.   It is a dead spot on the sponge.   Perhaps if I 'boosted' them the sponges would expand back and the top sheet would be smooth again but I shouldn't need to go through the hassle.  I have never seen a dead or dimpled sponge on a Tenergy, Rakza 7 or Mark V.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

ya; u are not putting olive oil like u are going to fry egg on your top sheer; just some drops of oil here, then spread it.

Actually, I find that the natural tt rubbers have a longer playable period than the synthetic tt rubbers. The synthetic tt rubbers seem lost their characterizes very fast after 4 ~ 6weeks (~15 hrs per week), but the natural tt rubbers lost their properties in a slower rate after the initial 4~6 weeks. 

You shouldn't fry stuff with olive oil anyway Wink
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2012 at 8:13pm
6 months on an average for a tenergy, well at least for me
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 1:20pm
It looks like rubbers can last as long as you want it to last, so the more important question is how often do you change your rubbers? and do you change BH and FH rubbers at the same time?  Lets hear your experience, below is mine Smile.
I do change my BH, and FH rubbers at the same time when I play both sides inverted.  However, I notice that I feel the need to change the BH rubber more frequently, after about 2 months or ~100 hrs, I feel the need to change my BH rubbers, but I usually keep it and play for another month or so, then change it together with the FH rubber.  I think for some reason the contact points on my BH is concentrated in the small area in the middle, where as on the FH side, the contact area is not as concentrated (larger worn circle), so it wears out longer, also I think the FH stroke is larger and I can engage the sponge more, so the grip of the top sheet is not as crucial as on the BH side. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic