Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oregon TT: Tim Aikey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oregon TT: Tim Aikey
    Posted: 07/24/2012 at 1:25pm
Back in 2009 while he was living in Vermont, I had a privilege to hit some table tennis with Tim Aikey. He is originally Vermonter, but today he reside in Oregon. Heard rumors that he is coaching in some club over there, but not sure. Short video of me and him playing a game (Practice): http://youtu.be/g508klYURg0 In this video, back in that time I was around 1500+ US rated. Tim was maybe 2000+ I hope you enjoy !
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2012 at 2:51pm
Tim is my coach: he also coaches Portland State Universitys team

I also played in the Rose City Open, and lost 3-0 against him in open singles. Tim lost to Ryan Hoarfrost, which I didn't expect

Have you seen he edge of his main blade? You'd have thought it was attacked by a monster or something
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2012 at 4:33pm
I just don't understand US ratings at all.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

I just don't understand US ratings at all.
Indeed, he is a nice guy. Will help you effortlessly and also good table tennis player. As for rating my friend, it is nothing to bang your head about it. Just stupid numbers :)
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 5:50pm
Heres how I see USATT ratings:

500: basement guys

1000: competition

1500: they will beat me

2000: they will beat me even worse

2500: I'm screwed

2700: none in Portland

3000: Kong LingHui

Edited by IanMcg - 07/25/2012 at 5:51pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

So 1500s beat you and you think you'll just get screwed by 2500s? LOL
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 6:18pm
So this is what a 2000 USATT rated player looks like... interesting.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

So 1500s beat you and you think you'll just get screwed by 2500s? LOL

2500s don't break a sweat while the beat me... 1500s usually have a bit of confusion dealing with my serves and pips, but 2500s read me like an open picture book for kindergarteners.
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by Vihito Vihito wrote:

So this is what a 2000 USATT rated player looks like... interesting.

naah; you can't expect a 2000 player to play his full game v. a 1500 like in mel's video.

To know what a 2k player looks like, watch the final of U2100 event (chances are they are both 2k+).

Do you have a link to that event? I searched on YouTube to no avail.

I think what Vihito was referring to was, full game or not, he doesn't seem very good. Based on that video, I find the idea of him coaching others slightly bizarre.
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 6:50pm

example: this is leshxa before he breaks 2000 (in black on the video):

Thanks. I'd place leshxa as a high Div 2 to low Div 1 player in any decent English county league, if that makes sense. Does that roughly equate to the standard of your...state leagues (I'm not sure how your associations are organised geographically)? (In English county leagues, there is, obviously, a Premier division above Div 1 - normally there is Prem, Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, Div 4, Div 5, with something like 15 teams in each division.)
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 9:33pm

Fatt, you're funny. This is actually a video a few months after I broke 2000. So far I've been in mid and high 1900s since then... for almost a year. Ouch
Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2012 at 9:34pm

Thanks. I'd place leshxa as a high Div 2 to low Div 1 player in any decent English county league, if that makes sense. Does that roughly equate to the standard of your...state leagues (I'm not sure how your associations are organised geographically)? (In English county leagues, there is, obviously, a Premier division above Div 1 - normally there is Prem, Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, Div 4, Div 5, with something like 15 teams in each division.)

Would you have a good evaluation of the types of players ( skill wise ) in divisions? What makes up player to belong to one division or another? I am very curious. Perhaps you know of a few vids that could be good examples.
Back to table tennis...
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 3:09am
We recently hosted an unrated tournament (State Games of Oregon) and I made a video that was supposed to promote the fun aspect of the tournament (so it didn't focus on just the good players or on full matches).  Tim won the Open division in this event and you could see him at both the beginning of the video and at the end.  He actually looked really good -- much strong than your typical 2000 player and much better than the other video in this thread.  I like Tim's strokes a lot and could imagine him playing 2300 under the right circumstances (regular practice against 2300+ partners, more tournament play).

(My apologies in advanced to anyone expect better polish.  I had limited time for this effort and I'm definitely not a video expert.)

Edited by benfb - 07/26/2012 at 3:10am
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Would you have a good evaluation of the types of players ( skill wise ) in divisions? What makes up player to belong to one division or another? I am very curious. Perhaps you know of a few vids that could be good examples.

That's a tricky question. Here's a video of a Div 2 match in the south-west midlands section of the British League: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLTDrVOSTU.

And here's a Junior Boys Final at a local county TT closed tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dIiskr1uJA&feature=plcp

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 4:48am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

We recently hosted an unrated tournament (State Games of Oregon) and I made a video that was supposed to promote the fun aspect of the tournament (so it didn't focus on just the good players or on full matches).  Tim won the Open division in this event and you could see him at both the beginning of the video and at the end.  He actually looked really good -- much strong than your typical 2000 player and much better than the other video in this thread.  I like Tim's strokes a lot and could imagine him playing 2300 under the right circumstances (regular practice against 2300+ partners, more tournament play).

(My apologies in advanced to anyone expect better polish.  I had limited time for this effort and I'm definitely not a video expert.)

Roger is good but Tim is better.

I'd like more footage of Kern though. You don't see a Jpen chopper too often.

Also did you snag any footage of Jason?
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 12:47pm

Here’s my interpretation of the US ratings:

1000: For adults,  players with awkward and inconsistent strokes.

1200: one coach once said if you could push consistently, you are 1200(more than 10 years ago); nowadays, these players can loop but inconsistent

1500:  still make many unforced errors

1600-1800: average or majority of US tournament players; have consistent strokes in practice but have flaws in game

1900+: have consistent strokes; loops are impressive; excellent blockers can reach 1900 to 2000.

2200-2300: excellent serves; excellent in returning serves; very consistent strokes; very good reflexes; very good touch;

2500: top US players

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Loop40mm Loop40mm wrote:

Here’s my interpretation of the US ratings:

1000: For adults,  players with awkward and inconsistent strokes.

1200: one coach once said if you could push consistently, you are 1200(more than 10 years ago); nowadays, these players can loop but inconsistent

1500:  still make many unforced errors

1600-1800: average or majority of US tournament players; have consistent strokes in practice but have flaws in game

1900+: have consistent strokes; loops are impressive; excellent blockers can reach 1900 to 2000.

2200-2300: excellent serves; excellent in returning serves; very consistent strokes; very good reflexes; very good touch;

2500: top US players

Nice generalization, but one can expand in every category to list reasons why the player is not higher, but I guess that would depend on each player individually.
Back to table tennis...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2012 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Roger is good but Tim is better.

I'd like more footage of Kern though. You don't see a Jpen chopper too often.

Also did you snag any footage of Jason?

tim has a good FH ,funny guy always thinking about the 2012 mayan end of the world thing
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 12:39am
Anyone have video of Tim vs Roger
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2012 at 2:14am
I wasn't really trying to video whole matches -- I just wanted something I could include in future emails announcing future tournaments.

Roger looked good but I thought Tim looked a lot better, and, of course, Tim did win.  Previously, I think Roger eliminated Kern in the semis and Tim eliminate Brian Chia (at least, that's my recollection).  Actually, I thought Brian might end up in the final but he's in college now so maybe he doesn't play as much.

Kern is an interesting player because his main weapon is long pips lobbing from the BH side of his Jpen.  Unfortunately for him, he had to play Roger and they've played ... I don't know... maybe 10,000 games.  I think they could just close their eyes and still play out their match.
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2012 at 2:09am
Thanks for comments . Well, bbkon, his wife is from Peru, that is why he always talk about Mayan 12.21.12, ha ha ha ...

Edited by melarimsa - 08/06/2012 at 2:44am
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 2:45am
While someone sees him, please say HELLO from Mel Big smile
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 9:45am
holdo n the guy on the left lives in Ireland.. or else he looks like the one
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 2:39pm
No my friend, I live in US, ha ha ha ... but lets say I live in Ireland. Am I any good ? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic