Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade on Galaxy W6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade on Galaxy W6
    Posted: 09/05/2012 at 1:37am
I have been using a galaxy w6 for a while and I really like it but at the same time, I am looking for a blade that has similar characteristics but a little heavier and maybe 20-30% faster. 
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
Sponsored Links

LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 1:49am
There are lots of options. My favorites that are faster but with soft touch are:

OSP Virtuoso+
Nittaku Acoustic
Butterfly Petr Korbel
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 2:30am
Originally posted by LGL_fan LGL_fan wrote:

There are lots of options. My favorites that are faster but with soft touch are:

OSP Virtuoso+
Nittaku Acoustic
Butterfly Petr Korbel

Yeah, I totally agree with you that those blades are softer and faster but in reality, they are more expensive and mainly not suitable for short distance attack and flat hits.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 9:50am
Hurricane Hao would be around 20% faster i believe not ure if heavier on the other hand stiga rosewood would definaltely be bit heavier.

but you can geta cheaper rosewood from HRT from ttnpp.com they cost between 25-32 usd if you definately want speed and weight get the 7 ply ones
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 11:55am
ACOUSTICCCCCCCC, seriously i've been using this for awhile and it's awesome, its fast enough to get you up to ~1800-1900 imo
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 1:18pm
I don't understand why some of you continue to associate speed of blade with ranking.  I can name some very good players who play with fairly slow rackets.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 1:26pm
I completely agree with cole. 

Upgrade is a wrong word. if you want a little faster blade to adjust to your stroke... thats just a personal taste based on style. 

if there was correlation of rating with blade speed, then Joo Se Hyuk would play Timo Boll Tricarbon. 

Edited by debraj - 09/05/2012 at 1:29pm
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 1:29pm
im not worried about increasing my ranking. I just wanted a heavier blade with more power.
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ttplayer92 ttplayer92 wrote:

im not worried about increasing my ranking. I just wanted a heavier blade with more power.
Rosewood NCT VII, may be too heavy for you (97g).
ping pong amateur,...

BTY Viscaria FL

H3 FH, T64 BH,

My feedback link:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84832&title=feedback-gweipwu
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 2:28pm
how about a heavier w6?
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2012 at 3:57pm
yes, I guess a heavier w6 will do the trick. i really like how you can feel the ball when you hit with the blade.
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2012 at 9:05am

That's the spirit!!SmileSmileSmile
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2012 at 4:31am
OSP Virtuoso and Acoustic are comparable to W6, but have a much better feel. They're maybe just a bit more elastic, due to the use of hide glue instead of stiff epoxy glue.
If you like the relative stiffness of W6, consider OSP Viruotoso+, which also has a bit lower throw.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2012 at 8:48am
Do you know how much your W6 weighs?  If so, then you can contact sellers and ask if they have a heavier one in inventory. As suggested above, it seems like the easiest thing to do if you just want a W6 with more power.
bibigon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2012 at 10:34am
Don't agree that OSP Viruotoso has better feel compared to W6. The feel is different, that's true. My sample of OSP Viruotoso L 86g is noticeably stiffer than both my W6.
Viscaria light; BH: Baracuda 2.0; FH: H3NP 38° black

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2012 at 5:58pm
I really like the high dwell time of the ball on my blade when i loop with the w6. I can almost command the ball to stay on until the very last second ( when i slow loop). I guess I am looking for a blade that has a "sticky"feeling? 
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2012 at 7:04pm
You can try some of that heavy edge tape on the W6 to see if that tweak gets you what you want.

Edit: even some duct tape will add 2-4 grams depending on the width.

Edited by swampthing - 09/15/2012 at 7:06pm
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

ACOUSTICCCCCCCC, seriously i've been using this for awhile and it's awesome, its fast enough to get you up to ~1800-1900 imo

You bet it is! A wonderful blade by any standard. Throw some Rakza 7, T05FX, Sinus Sound, H3 prov, Mark V HPS on that bad boy and you have yourself a looping machine. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2012 at 10:31pm
Would the violin be better choice than an acoustic?
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2012 at 10:58pm
Violin is not as fast as the Acoustic. i find the Violin has great feel, you need to generate your own power with the Violin tho. 
Both are great blades, i own the Violin and Tenor, i have also tried the Acoustic which i find to be similar to the Tenor, maybe a little slower...
RSM Special Platinum T64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2012 at 11:18pm
I am okay with generating my own power, i actually would like that more than getting it from the blade. I tried several fast blades, including the F1 and the viscaria and though they were really fast, they didnt have that great dwell time I am looking for. Ideally I am looking for a blade that has amazing feeling (very sticky, lots of dwell time to really let the ball dig to produce lots of spin). 
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 1:32am

Oh crap, here we go yet again.
GET THIS.  YOU SUPPLY THE POWER NOT THE BLADE!!!!!
The weight of the blade has very little to do with the speed after impact.  A heavier blade does have a higher speed after impact but it is very small relative to the paddle speed.   A lighter blade can be accelerated more quickly and the paddle speed makes a much greater difference than the weight of the paddle.  Also, you will not get as tired accelerating a lighter blade so you can hit faster longer with a lighter blade.

If you want power from your blade then burn it.  It is the only way you will ever get power from you blade.

Where does this heavy blade has more power non sense come from?

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 2:51am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

If you want power from your blade then burn it.  It is the only way you will ever get power from you blade.

LOL ROFL Handshake

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Where does this heavy blade has more power non sense come from?

From the laws of physics, but you're right that it's non sense, as the difference is tiny.

Let's do some math and consider a shot in an ideal world where there is no wasted energy (no friction, impacts are purely elastic, etc.). Ball speed V after impact is roughly proportional to momentum p = m*v (mass m times velocity v). I know, mass of the player's arm has to be calculated in to some extent, but suppose the user is holding the racket so lightly, that it can be considered as being suspended in space during impact.
Say you spend an energy E for your shot and transform it all to kinetic energy: E = 1/2*m*v^2. So if your setup has mass m it will be accelerated to a final speed of (let's discard constant factors):
v is proportional to sqrt(E / m)
So, putting this back in the momentum expression above, we're taking speed out of the equation and the final ball speed relates to mass as follows:
V is proportional to sqrt(E*m)
We've oversimplified the problem here, but this basically tells that a heavier setup will give you a slight speed advantage. How much? let's find out.

Example 1. Say you have a very light blade (60g) and a very heavy one (100g). Say rubbers weigh 80g total, so the light setup is 140g and the heavy is 180g. Assume that at the time of impact your racket is suspended in space and the mass of your hand and arm do not count. The final ball speed with the heavy setup will be 13% faster (sqrt(180/140) = 1.13) than with the light setup.
Example 2 (more typical). Same as above but say the light blade is 70g and the heavy one is 90g and the advantage is just over 6%.

Now add an arm/body inertia of 300g (just guessing here, it's probably more) and in example 1 the speed advantage drops to 4% and in example 2 to 2%.

After all, I'd say that a heavier setup gives you a barely noticeable speed increase.

On the other hand, in passive blocking, once you get it to the right place you just hold your racket there, so you don't need to generate kinetic energy. In that case, only momentum counts and the speed advantage of a heavier setup is proportional to the mass (overall mass: blade, rubbers, and hand/arm), rather than to the square root of it, so it will be a bit higher. Assuming an arm/body weight of 300g (as above), in example 1 the speed advantage in passive blocking is about 9% and in example 2 about 4%. Again, as it is example 2 that rather reflects a normal situation, while example 1 is an extreme case, nothing to really write home about.

Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 2:53am
Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

Violin is not as fast as the Acoustic. i find the Violin has great feel, you need to generate your own power with the Violin tho. 
Both are great blades, i own the Violin and Tenor, i have also tried the Acoustic which i find to be similar to the Tenor, maybe a little slower...

Indeed Tenor and Acoustic have the same construction, but Tenor has a thicker core.
Choose Violin if you play close to the table and Acoustic/Tenor for further away.
Join the Nexy Clan!
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 4:18am
Heavier blades of the same construction tend to be more resistive to bending and so have their kick more tune to faster strokes. Still the average w6 is a fast blade, just change rubbers if you want more passive bounce
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 1:57pm
Just the weight itself makes a huge difference in the speed of the blade, I think.  It's simple physics.  Even beyond the fact that a heavier blade must be thicker or denser in theory.

The good thing about the speed from weight is that it's there when you want it (aka when swinging) and not there when you don't want it (stationary blocking).

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Just the weight itself makes a huge difference in the speed of the blade, I think.
No
  It's simple physics.
Yes.  Look up coefficient of restitution on wikipedia.  Then go down half way and you will see the formulas for speed after impact.  You can see terms similar to this  m/(m+M) and this M/(m+M) where m is the mass of the ball and M is the mass of the paddle.   Once M gets to be so big it doesn't change the ratio much.  180/(2.7+180)=0.98522  200/(2.7+200)=0.98668.  Changing the paddle weight from 180 to 200 gm will make a very small difference in the speed after impact if the material is the same.  

Even beyond the fact that a heavier blade must be thicker or denser in theory.
You don't sell any defensive paddles that are heavier and slower than your offensive paddles?
You should be able to look up the specifications.

When you start talking about denser then your are talking about a different material.  The wood, glue and carbon makes more difference than the weight.  

The good thing about the speed from weight is that it's there when you want it (aka when swinging) and not there when you don't want it (stationary blocking).
A heavier paddle is slightly faster but because the paddle is so much heavier than the ball adding extra weight makes little difference.

DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 3:25pm
yinhe galaxy T2? It's very fast and good for flat hitting
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 3:53pm
Let me change that to a heavier blade of the same type should be faster/denser in theory.

I'm fairly sure that some woods of the same type can be denser than others, just as a person's bones or muscles can be.  A tree is a living organism and just isn't that consistent.

I'm really surprised at your ratios.  It's not consistent with my experience, but it's hard to argue against the science.

Edited by cole_ely - 09/17/2012 at 3:54pm

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 7:15pm
Virtuoso Korbel and Acoustic have very different feel than W6, for better or worse. Those are lively blades with lots of elasticity and vibration and feedback.
W6 is rather dead and plastic, perhaps more accurate than them, but feels absolutely different. I have owned all of them for a good time and still own all cept the W6.

don't know what to suggest that's not carbon. Fuga is nice and similar but not much faster. Perhaps time to try the carbons - TBS is never a bad choice if you can afford it.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic