Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rapscallion by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 3:19am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I watched the movie "The life of Pi" yesterday and that handle reminds me what he saw at night under the water.

i might have to watch that movie now...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Sponsored Links

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 8:28am
What wood is the handle ? I have never seen a wood of that colour.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 8:32am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

What wood is the handle ? I have never seen a wood of that colour.

It's not its natural color - it's dyed (not by me, I found a source of dyed wood blocks).  This handle is dyed-blue Big Leaf Maple burl.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2013 at 2:01pm
Ross,
I got very interested in the Rapscallion. I may be able to get a used one from another player, but I noticed that in his blade the core layer in the handle is dicontinuous, I mean you made it in two parts (see picture). Why is that? Is that so on all Rapscallions? If not, what differences in feeling can I expect?
Thanks!

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Cncpen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cncpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2013 at 4:20pm
Is it a good brush looping blade with h3 on fh?

Pingvinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingvinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Ross,
I got very interested in the Rapscallion. I may be able to get a used one from another player, but I noticed that in his blade the core layer in the handle is dicontinuous, I mean you made it in two parts (see picture). Why is that? Is that so on all Rapscallions? If not, what differences in feeling can I expect?
Thanks!

I don't want to answer for Ross Leidy, but just noting that I have two blades with this kind of "joint", but it runs "north-south" across the blade face. One of them is a limba-limba-ayous all+/off-- blade and it feels like other such blades that I have.

I bounced balls across the blade face and there was no irregularity near this joint.

I think it's just the plywood manufacturer that glues together these plies when they have some pieces that are too small to make one large enough unit.

Edited by Pingvinis - 06/15/2013 at 4:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2013 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Ross,
Thanks!

Sometimes it is not possible to find wood of the minimum dimensions required for a blade blank, so it must be pieced.  This is true of commercial blades, as well.  The glue joint is not a weak spot - it's usually stronger than the surrounding wood.  When I have a choice, I source materials that have dimensions that do not require a joint, but that is not always possible.  But, you would not be able to detect a difference in blade characteristics between one that has a joint and one that does not.

The one place where I insist on having no joint is on the face of the blade.  However, that is for aesthetic purposes than functional purposes.

Ross
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2013 at 5:47pm
Hello Ross,

In the last sentence you write about no joint on the blade's face: "that is for aesthetic purposes than functional purposes." 

does it mean even if the core at the level of the blade's face  was made out of 2 pieces, we would not detect a difference?  I believe so (because I see many commercial blades building the core out of many pieces) but I want to be sure I understood well.

On other blades than yours, I can see sometimes 3 pieces total with 2 joints in the core --> 1 like you above and one across as well, 50mm from the top of the head and I can't feel a difference.

The Donic Waldner Dotec Hinoki (3-ply all hinoki) rewards very highly in terms of feel (still in my top 3 in that category) and the core is made out of so many pieces: the head of the core has joints all over the place and it's never the same.

It looks almost like some manufacturers play a puzzle game to save on core material and only focus on the visible plies; yes, I would not be surprised if middle plies were also made out of multiple pieces in some blades, and not necessarily the cheap ones...

I am glad to have to insurance when I buy a RL blade that the only possible joint is 1) in the core and 2) at the level of the handle like shown above.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2013 at 7:26pm
Yes, you shouldn't be able to detect any difference between either type of blade.  I assume that the commercial manufacturers source plies that have been pieced and glued into very large sheets, which are then assembled and glued together into a large blank.  Multiple blades are then cut out and the joints fall where they may.

Since I assemble a blade blank only large enough for single blade, I can be more careful about where the joints fall.  While the joints should not affect playability, I still try to keep them away from the head when it's possible.

sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2014 at 12:56pm
Sorry for reviving this thread back to life.
But for those who still have their Rapscallion blade for over a year, can you point out what you dont like about this blade?
What are the weakness and strength...
Cncpen View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cncpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2014 at 10:53am
Look like on one are using it now.
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2014 at 1:42pm
I still play with mine occasionally - it's one of the compact head designs with a Tenaly style handle. Likely I would use it more often if it was a typical BTY shape/handle.  My new Leidy blade is based on the ZJ FL shape and it's terrific.

Pros:
Light <80g
Fast (OFF)
Easy to loop
Great flicks
"snick" sound when hitting

Cons:
Very noticeable difference in speed between the edges and center - good for slow spinny serves, but punishes my bad technique sometimes
Small head size on mine makes blocking harder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic