Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW BUTTERFLY BLADES 11-21-2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

sorry, I don't like the way they look.

The color combination of the Photino Light is a bit too candy-corn-ish for my taste as well... but that's not going to stop me from buying it, of course. Tongue

The other two blades listed... well, I don't really care about either of those.

Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:39pm
The Photino light remind me of Fall. Big smile
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:59pm
 A black and tan color scheme would look nicer. Agree jt99sf that ST's tend to play a bit faster than FL's due to more mass at the throat of the blade. Regular Photino is a nice blade, but more suited for away from table so not my thing. The light version may be a bit slower.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

The Photino light remind me of Fall. Big smile
you don't have FALL over there in your 'hood....

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 11:30pm
Specs from Butterfly.co.jp

Photino Light- Same make as the original Photino, but 157mmx148mm. Also 72g.

Defence 3- 3 plies (looks like Willow wood) at 6.4mm thick; 92g.

Chinese X- 5 plies making a total of 5.7mm thick with a 161mmx150mm head, at 81g.

One more:

Reygundo Arylate Carbon:

http://eshop.butterfly.co.jp/html/item/001/006/item5338.html

3 ply wood, 2 ply Arylate Carbon

157mm X 148mm, 6.5 mm thick

Average weight 74g

Has a Hinoki top (And I'm assuming Kiri core) That would make it pretty similar to the KLHS
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2012 at 11:50pm
Photino Light is much thinner than original Photino, besides being lighter on average, and a different color. It would be interesting to try out, but I don't need to buy an expensive, bouncy OFF+ blade right now.

Reygundo is already released. That was in a previous "new Butterfly blades" thread.
neon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2012 at 2:08am

Hello friends,

Two new offensive shakehand blades photino light and reygundo are with smaller head size!!

Butterfly cheat of their favorite size from many years – 157x150. Surprise continue!!! Thank you.

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2012 at 2:52pm
Has anyone had a chance to try out a 'Photino Light" blade yet?

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2012 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Chinese EX? did they perhaps mean Axe? Smile
EXpert LOL
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2012 at 1:11pm

Got a Photino Light, and by innitial impressions I can tell the head is quite a bit smaller than on the original Photino. The Light version measures 148 x 150mm, verses 157 x 150 mm of Photino. So equal head length but 9mm slimmer in the width. The wings are are also noticably smaller (which obviously makes sense to accomodate the slimmer head).
Overall it feels very light - haven't had a chance to weigh mine yet.
Also, the orange color is very vibrant (borderline neon)... the yellow is the same as on other Butterfly blades.

I'll come back with some more info later.

Edited by Pondus - 12/18/2012 at 9:08am
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2012 at 1:17pm
cool colors but did the price burn a hole in your wallet all thru' your pocket & pant? The "Lightness" (usually any Lite version of Btfly) makes me shy away from it.
My wish, as you might've already known, is to get a not so light Anatomic one..1 day..)
Oh ya...you're not not 1 of those "Btfly" haters/dumpers....(they, I'm pretty sure, secretly/in private drool on the looks of it & just wish to lay their hands on it 1 day after their trials/experience with those so-called Stiga high ends & the rest of the clones & what-have-you's)
I really like the FALL colors tho'.

Edited by tiehwen - 12/17/2012 at 1:25pm
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2012 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Got a Photino Light, and by innitial impressions I can tell the head is quite a bit smaller than on the original Photino. The Light version measures 148 x 150mm, verses 157 x 150 mm of Photino. So equal head length but 9mm slimmer in the width. 

Sorry but I don't understand what you express about the measures. The length of the Photino is 157mm and the width is 150mm so if the Photino light would be 9mm slimmer in width it would only be 141mm wide. 

According to tt-japan the dimensions of the Photino Light are 157 x 148mm meaning same length as you said but only 2mm slimmer which would make more sense. 141mm would be amazingly slim. 

Could you please clarify your numbers?
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I would like to see BTY make a great carbon-Arlyate, blade in the OFF- class around 85gr. ST, FL, AN also. With nice graphics and thicker handles. No wild colors especially pink or orange...yuck. Smile

+1 to this

It's amazing to me how many people use an ordinary TBS as this is what the market seems to really want.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Slightly off topic: How many people do actually like blades below 80gr?

They're huge among the old guys in our area.  A few less grams of weight helps out the reflexes...
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2012 at 11:20pm
 BTY blades made in Japan are very nice but the majority suffer from skinny handle disease so I don't like them for that reason. Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 4:45am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

Got a Photino Light, and by innitial impressions I can tell the head is quite a bit smaller than on the original Photino. The Light version measures 148 x 150mm, verses 157 x 150 mm of Photino. So equal head length but 9mm slimmer in the width. 

Sorry but I don't understand what you express about the measures. The length of the Photino is 157mm and the width is 150mm so if the Photino light would be 9mm slimmer in width it would only be 141mm wide. 

According to tt-japan the dimensions of the Photino Light are 157 x 148mm meaning same length as you said but only 2mm slimmer which would make more sense. 141mm would be amazingly slim. 

Could you please clarify your numbers?

Indeed - one can only assume Pondus got the numbers wrong. 141mm would be extraordinary, and awful.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 4:46am

BTY blades made in Japan are very nice but the majority suffer from skinny handle disease so I don't like them for that reason. Smile

Weirdly, I think Stiga blades suffer from fat handle disease!

(This is doubly weird, as I have large hands.)
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 8:34am
Let me first start by apologizing for my collosal brain-fart yesterday (post above)... and any confusion that it may have caused. 
Here's some more (and hopefully more acurate) info about the Photino Light:

Picture 1: The Photino Light next to a regular Photino. You can probably see the smaller size right away.

Picture 2: You'll notice that the Photino Light has Koto outer plies as opposed to the Hinoki outer plies of the regular Photino.

Picture 3 & 4: The overall thickness of the Photino Light is quite a bit thinner than the regular Photino, although that difference is only found in the thinner outer plies (Koto versus Hinoki). The thickness of the core (Kiri on both) is the same, and so are the Zylon Fiber plies.

By comparing the Photino Light to the regular Photino in terms of construction and measurements, here's what I've found:

Head Size:
Photino: 157 x 150mm
Photino Light: 157 x 148mm

Composition:
Photino: Hinoki - Zylon - Kiri - Zylon - Hinoki
Photino Light: Koto - Zylon - Kiri - Zylon - Koto

Thickness:
Photino: 7mm (4mm Kiri Core)
Photino Light: 6mm (4mm Kiri Core)

Weight:
Photino: 85g
Photino Light: 73g

I hope this information is helpful, and again, I apologize for my blunder of a post yesterday. Smile

Edited by Pondus - 12/18/2012 at 9:06am
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 8:59am
Butterfly has alot of nerve calling this blade Photino. Diferent head size, different kind of wood, a full mm thinner. At least they got the light part right...
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 9:01am
Thanks, Pondus. 

With the switch from Hinoki to Koto, isn't it more of a TB ZLF Light, rather than a Photino Light? It certainly now seems closer to the TB ZLF.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 9:04am
Maybe it's not Koto on the light version (I'm no wood species expert by any stretch)... but it certainly looks different than the regular Photino to me.

Edited by Pondus - 12/18/2012 at 9:06am
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 9:10am
If that's hinoki, it's not a very attractive cut. Actually looking at the edge of the blade it does look like hinoki. I've never seen such un- "clear " grain before. They probably had a bunch of ultra-thin hinoki rejects left over from making j-pensWink
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 9:50am
Thanks a lot for the clarifaction about dimensions Pondus. I think they made it slimmer to reduce weight but also also to make it stiffer in order to compensate the speed loss through making the blade thinner. NB: please differenciate well slimmer and thinner in order to understand well this sentence Tongue

From what I can see on the pics outer plies look different but it still seems like Hinoki to me. Even though it is thinner I don't think a Koto outer play that thick would be enjoyable to play with. Also it wouldn't make any sense to call it Photino Light if they changed Hinoki outer plies which is the most specifical characteristic of the Photino amongst the ZLF blades. 

When the Iolite got replaced by the Iolite Neo the Hinoki outer ply also looked different but it was still Hinoki. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

...From what I can see on the pics outer plies look different but it still seems like Hinoki to me... when the Iolite got replaced by the Iolite Neo the Hinoki outer ply also looked different but it was still Hinoki. 

That would make sense. I'm just so used to thinking of Hinoki as being such a clean linear grain structure, that the plies on the Photino Light looks like something else to me (even though it also has some of the typical Hinoki lines to it). And the more structured parts of the grain looks very much like Koto to me. Also, it's markedly lighter in color than the regular Photino I have.
But obviously I agree, that it would be really weird to change the outer plies to a different wood and still call it Photino.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 11:26am
A 73 gram blade?  Can't be good.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 11:28am

I would like to see BTY make a great carbon-Arlyate, blade in the OFF- class around 85gr. ST, FL, AN also. With nice graphics and thicker handles. No wild colors especially pink or orange...yuck. Smile

They had one way back when, a pink Timo Boll blade they introduced when they first came out with TBS, but I can't remember what they called it.  It was quite good.
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2013 at 10:25am
TB Spark
@Pondus: How does the Photino Light play -  Especially compared to old heavy Photino?
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2013 at 10:50am
Sorry, harldhzx, I can't give you any impressions of how the Photino Light plays as I haven't played with it - I most likely never will. I simply bought it for my collection. Confused

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2013 at 12:45pm
btw, it has Hinoki outer ply.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2013 at 12:53pm

Sorry, harldhzx, I can't give you any impressions of how the Photino Light plays as I haven't played with it - I most likely never will. I simply bought it for my collection. Confused

can we borrow it so we can write about it? Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic