Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giant Dragon Table vs. Joola Inside Table

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giant Dragon Table vs. Joola Inside Table
    Posted: 09/22/2012 at 3:52am
Has anyone played on Giant Dragon ping pong tables?  Are they good?  They are on sale in Costco for CAN$479.99.  Is it a good buy?

I am considering the Joola Inside table.  Which one is better?

Any other choices for a decent ping pong table under CAN$500?  Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links

neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2012 at 7:34am
I remember someone complaining on a different post that the paint comes off on the ball on the Joola Inside. It's hard to know unless you can physically inspect the table and rub a ball on it or find a review.
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2012 at 12:12pm
I tried the Joola Inside.  Don't notice much paint came off from the ball and stuck on the table, so it is not an issue for me.  It has a 16mm top which is quite thin.  Compared with the giant dragon which cost $80 more, it has a 18mm top which is should be bouncier and the bounce should be more even theoretically.  But I never use any Giant Dragon stuff before and it sounds like a cheap brand.  So I am worried about its quality.  Any suggestions on this is appreciated, thanks.
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2012 at 3:17pm
I have the Giant Dragon table from Costco and play on the Joola Inside at my local community center so I think I'm good for this comparison.

What I can say is that the Joola Inside doesn't have as good a playing surface as the Giant Dragon. It makes much more of a 'clunk' sound when the ball bounces and offers much less pace and bounce. Furthermore, the Giant Dragon is a bit sturdier and I would think it would outlast the Joola.

All this said, the Joola isn't a bad table by any means but relative to the Giant Dragon, it's not up to par.
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2012 at 3:16am
Thanks shirazir for your valuable comments on the tables.  It seems that the Giant Dragon Table is a better choice.  A few more questions about the Giant Dragon Table.

1) Can it be separated into two freestanding tables like the Joola Inside Table?  Because of limited space in the area, it may be necessary to fold half of the table and move it somewhere, and leave half table open as dining table when I am not playing.

2) Are feet height adjustable for uneven floor surface?

3) What is the model name for the Giant Dragon Table?  Is it the 2001B or the 2003B?

4) Does it require assemble?  If so, how long will it take approximately for one person to do the job?  I know the Joola Inside is pre-assembled.  All you need to do is to put the wheels and net on, then you are ready to play.

5) Is it USATT or ITTF approved?

Thanks a lot!
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 1:29am
Originally posted by arznable arznable wrote:

Thanks shirazir for your valuable comments on the tables.  It seems that the Giant Dragon Table is a better choice.  A few more questions about the Giant Dragon Table.

1) Can it be separated into two freestanding tables like the Joola Inside Table?  Because of limited space in the area, it may be necessary to fold half of the table and move it somewhere, and leave half table open as dining table when I am not playing.

2) Are feet height adjustable for uneven floor surface?

3) What is the model name for the Giant Dragon Table?  Is it the 2001B or the 2003B?

4) Does it require assemble?  If so, how long will it take approximately for one person to do the job?  I know the Joola Inside is pre-assembled.  All you need to do is to put the wheels and net on, then you are ready to play.

5) Is it USATT or ITTF approved?

Thanks a lot!

1. Yes, it can be bifurcated and one or both halves can be folded and stored. As for use as a dining table, I've not tried it. LOL

2. Yes, the feet are adjustable and have a reasonable range for uneven floors.

3. No idea as to the model number though mine is the same as the Costco table (I purchased mine from there locally).

4. It requires the same amount of assembly as the Joola Inside, they're similar in structure.

5. No idea if they're ITTF/USATT certified but unless you're playing sanctioned tournaments in your basement (which you're not going to of course), it doesn't matter. As long as it plays well, which it does, it's fine.
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2012 at 1:31pm
I will buy the Giant Dragon table from Costco before sales end by the end of the month.  Thanks shirazir for the info which really helps a lot during the decision making process! Thumbs Up
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2012 at 8:56pm
Bummer... Tried to order the table from Costco on Saturday and it is out of stock!

It seems at the moment the only decent choice under $500 is the Joola Inside table.  When I go back to the webpage and take a look at the Joola Inside,  I found the Joola Quattro is also on sale right now.

Wondering has shirazir or anyone has ever played on the Joola Quattro?  Does it have better pace and bounce than the Joola Inside?  It is worthwhile to pay CAN$150 more for the 3/4 inch surface of the Quattro table rather than the 5/8 inch surface of the Inside table?  Thanks a lot!
BizLawProf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2012 at 1:38pm
I have a Giant Dragon labeled "Sonic" in the family room at home, technically a Sonic 400.  Got for $650 (free S/H) off WalMart.com.  Wonderful table, every bit the table in fit, finish, sturdiness, consistency of bounce, etc. as the:

Donic Persson 25 tables my club has,

Stiga Expert Roller I play on occasionally,

Butterfly Nippon Rollaway I play on occasionally,

or the Stiga Optimum 30s I've played on a few times.

Awesome table for the money if it can still be found out there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2012 at 1:44pm
They have the Sonic (Giant Dragon) 300 still available on walmart.com for $599 shipping included.  A slightly less beefy version of my 400, looks like an excellent deal, and much heavier duty (1" top, more solid frame) than the Joola you're considering.

The Panda Atlas from Robins Table Tennis also looks like a good deal at $499.  http://www.robbinstabletennis.com/prodtab2.htm

Edited by BizLawProf - 10/04/2012 at 1:48pm
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2012 at 2:43pm
Thanks BizLawProf.  I will take a look at the Walmart & Robbins webpage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2012 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by arznable arznable wrote:

Thanks BizLawProf.  I will take a look at the Walmart & Robbins webpage.

No problem, there are some very nice deals out there, sometimes I believe you can get an off brand table which is the same exact thing, made at the same factory, just with a different logo and coloring, as a higher priced table going for hundreds more.  Another place to look, though I have no personal experience with this company, is Champion tables.  They appear to have some great deals. http://www.tabletennisstore.us/c-56-tables.aspx?ManufacturerID=9
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 5:30am
Thanks BizLawProf for the info.  I checked out the websites.  I found they are US websites and US online stores, so they either do not ship outside of the US (Walmart) or it cost a lot (US$250) to ship outside of the US.  I think it is better for me to buy from a local shop here in Canada so that I can pickup the table and save the shipping fee.  Thanks a lot for the info anyway.
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 5:35am

Unfortunately, there are not much choices here that I can choose from locally.  I probably will start another thread for the comparison between the Joola Inside and Joola Quattro, thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 2:35pm
Many of these suppliers have free shipping.  Perhaps Canada included, but not certain.  Might check into Champion tables, they might also work with Canada free S/H. All else fails, I'd go with the thicker table top, wouldn't want to practice on a 5/8 inch surface, even in my newbie state, would be too different from club or tourney tables, which at a minimum are going to almost always be 1" or maybe 3/4".

Edited by BizLawProf - 10/08/2012 at 2:37pm
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 3:48pm
Thanks BizLawProf for the valuable input.  I checked with the Champion tables.  The price is pretty good.  For examples, the S11 (with a 20mm surface) costs only US$439.99.  But I need to pay shipping and duties and it ends up being quite expensive.  Therefore, I prefer buying from a Canadian online store or a local store so that I can pickup personally to save on duties and S/H.

You are right on the thickness of the table.  I tend to buy the thicker Joola Quattro rather than the Joola Inside.  Bounce is low and pace is slow for the Inside table; I don't like it much.  Still waiting for the input and opinions from people who have experience playing on the Quattro to make my final decision, thanks a lot!

Edited by arznable - 10/08/2012 at 3:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/2012 at 3:58pm
Too bad, sorry to hear.  Good luck on your search.  You could do worse than Joola tables to be sure!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2012 at 11:07am
http://www.pingpongdepot.com
Have you looked into this company for tables? 
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2012 at 5:52pm
I checked.  Ping Pong Depot is selling Joola Quattro for CAN$749.95 which is CAN$200 more than the local shop nearby, thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2012 at 12:03pm
I'd also look into Craig's List and see if you can find a used table cheaply for local pick up. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/?areaID=25&subAreaID=&query=table+tennis&catAbb=sss

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/?areaID=25&subAreaID=&query=ping+pong&catAbb=sss

Sooner or later, a decent pro-grade table has to come available for something near your price range.

arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 12:05am
Thanks BizLawProf for the great suggestion.  I looked into the Craig's List Toronto, but I didn't find anything interesting at this moment.  However, there is another Craig's List like website in Canada called Kijiji.ca, and I found some interesting stuff there.  Therefore, right now I have more choices for under CAN$550.  Here are the deals:

These tables all have same structure (can be separated into 2 halfs and fold up) and thickness (3/4 inch).  About the used one (Giant Dragon) still have not received replied from the seller, so i do not know the its condition.  Assuming it is in good condition, can I ask which one should I choose?  Has any one here played on any of these tables?  Please comments, thanks a lot!

Edited by arznable - 10/12/2012 at 12:08am
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2012 at 2:34am

Called the Giant Dragon table owner and realized they made a mistake.  The table for sale is a Giant Dragon Power 800-1, not the 2002B shown in the picture.  I do not like this table even it is selling for $200 only.  Therefore, this table is out of my list.  Now only 3 tables remaining to consider.  Please comments if you have played on any of them, thanks.

Edited by arznable - 10/13/2012 at 2:37am
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2012 at 3:02am
Closing this thread as I have started or there is an existing thread for each of the table I am considering.

Double Fish 01-203

DHS America Star
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic