Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Ross Leidy Rapscallion-One of a kind (Nemesis)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Ross Leidy Rapscallion-One of a kind (Nemesis)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Ross Leidy Rapscallion-One of a kind (Nemesis)
    Posted: 09/30/2012 at 11:30pm
Ok, i came up with the name "Nemesis" series...but it is one of a kind... it just seems to suit this paddle because it will be the nemesis for all who play against it...  its bad a$*

Ross picked up this rare wood called:  Canxan Negra Burl.  Its gorgeous...  and expensive..  

Here is my small review (from a self assigned ping pong addict).

The blade showed up in a custom bag with a signature and a certificate of authenticity.. supercool.

The workmanship is better than any paddle i have ever owned..

I believe that Ross should charge $1,000 for this paddle but i am sure you can talk him into one for less than that :)..  

His price was much lower than the paddle is worth...i felt guilty because of the care and quality to be frank.

I played with the paddle for about 7 hours saturday and Sunday this week.  it hits so well its hard to explain... 

i turned my newgy robot on 10 speed and pounded the racket ..and then compared it to about 6 other paddles that i own... all nice paddles (Stiga Rosewood XO - expensive paddle), as well as my andro temper tech, my butterfly Innerforce ULC, my donic black devil, and my Xiom solo....  

by far, the Ross leidy was the most consistent...  I would say that it is an off - or off..  my donic is an off+.

it is the most consistent and the handle is the most comfortable by far.

the racket also is the most balanced paddle i believe...

Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Sponsored Links

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 1:19am
thanks for writing your take on the blade... looking forward to read more after you use it to play with other people in a sparring mode and also in games...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 6:44am
Ohh yes I wasnt very clear.

I played against others. I trained 6 hours against top ranked players.

I stood about 10 feet back from the table and looped hard with it... The blde ia really consistent...

I thought..."maybe i am just having a good day" so i traded my coach hia timo boll ZLC to let him hit with it.   

He kept looking at the handle in disbelief.

After 5 minutes, he handed it back to me and said: "Fast"
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 8:23am
Just to make sure I understand it correctly, the Canxan Negra Burl is on the handle, correct? Not the blade head itself.
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 8:29am
correct, the Nega is in the handle...There is no negra in the blade head.   Actually the blade itself is made up of Mahaongy, kiri and mason birch i believe with Kiri (the hardest) wood as the inner core.
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

correct, the Nega is in the handle...There is no negra in the blade head.   Actually the blade itself is made up of Mahaongy, kiri and mason birch i believe with Kiri (the hardest) wood as the inner core.
I'm glad to hear that you like the blade's performance.  Making that handle was a real treat.

The hardest ply is the outer masur birch (also called karelian birch), the medial mahogany is a bit softer, and the kiri core softer still.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 1:36pm
The handles on your blades look amazing Ross but are they comfortable? I'm NOT  talking about the shape or anything but about the sealant. Aren't those handles incredibly slippery? The handle of my Juic Nebula comes factory sealed and I sanded it off because otherwise the blade would slip out of my hand with every stroke I make.
rabanitorosario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabanitorosario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

The handles on your blades look amazing Ross but are they comfortable? I'm NOT  talking about the shape or anything but about the sealant. Aren't those handles incredibly slippery? The handle of my Juic Nebula comes factory sealed and I sanded it off because otherwise the blade would slip out of my hand with every stroke I make.
Good question

Edited by rabanitorosario - 10/01/2012 at 2:42pm
1950 USATT
BBC 1Ply Cypress
Innerforce ZLC
FH T64FX Red
Former Member of Puerto Rico's National Team
BH T80 Black

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 3:46pm

On other blades where I used a gloss finish on the handle, the feedback that I received was that it made the blade more "grippy" than "slippy".  Perhaps watchski will post his own findings on that topic. 
caballero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caballero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 4:03pm

Skyline,

The shape of Ross' handles are very comfortable. The broad end-cap is like an anchor. They are perfect for my hands, allowing me to keep a strong yet relaxed grip on the paddle. Compared to a long list of other handles I have tested, only one other handle is close to his (BBC's pistol). 

As Ross just mentioned, the sealing reaction depends on the wood you choose (one of the advantages of handcrafted blades is that your word weights a lot). 

However, your point-question about the lacquer is a relevant one. Some people, like myself, have found sealed handles to be slippery. When I received Ross’ handle, it was still a bit slippery--he had just sealed the blade a few days before. But soon, with use, the lacquer and the slippery sensation went away. Like you, what I learned was that if I weekly sanded the handle, it would restore its beauty and will make it grippier (Ross' advice).  

If it happens that your handle comes a bit slippery like mine, as soon as the slippyness disappears because of usage, you don’t have to worry about anything. But I try to keep it as beautiful as I can. I consider this blade, not a product I would have bought at the store which I would just simply toss or use whenever I need it, but a living creation produced by an artist to which I gladly will continue to maintain.  

Hurray for independent blade-makers:

Leidy's Rapscallion
Charlie's 1Ply & 9-10-9
American Hinoki's WRC Quantum 3-ply

Feedback Caballero
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 5:46pm
 Its actually quite timely of a question.  I just got back from an hour of training hard with it...   covered in sweat from hard looping...   my handle never even comes close to slipping.  I agree..the gloss creates a resin type grippy ness.   Its not slippery at all and because it is covered in gloss there are no indentions that are in the way or bothersome.. Its incredibly smooth.   In no way, am i asked to say positive things about this blade.  In fact, I was asked for negative feedback as well by ross because he wants to improve them...I am having trouble finding a negative...   Perhaps that its too nice?  or too "pretty"...  people automatically assume that it can't be that good... until they play with it...   my chinese coach was playing with a timo boll W7 and after he played with mine...  he walked over to the other side of the training center and came back with a brand new timo boll penhold ALC with Tenergy 05 on one side and hurricaine DHS on the other...  and he couldn't seem to create the same speed or same control... he was soooo incredibly bothered by it...   so he walked over to me and said:  "How much" ... :)    

THANK YOU Ross!!  i have currently the best paddle in the world...  unless you make another...  i wouldn't sell it for $750.   Not a chance... my game went up 100 points easily...

I have never hit like i did today...   

Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 6:18pm
"my chinese coach was playing with a timo boll W7 and after he played with mine...  he walked over to the other side of the training center and came back with a brand new timo boll penhold ALC with Tenergy 05 on one side and hurricaine DHS on the other...  and he couldn't seem to create the same speed or same control... he was soooo incredibly bothered by it...   so he walked over to me and said:  "How much" ... :)    

THANK YOU Ross!!  i have currently the best paddle in the world...  unless you make another...  i wouldn't sell it for $750.   Not a chance... my game went up 100 points easily...

I have never hit like i did today...   "

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 9:37pm
That is the most beautiful handle I have ever seen !
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2012 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

I have never hit like i did today...   

Thank you for your very gracious comments.  I'm glad to know that the blade hit the mark with you.  
rabanitorosario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabanitorosario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 12:55am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

1+
Oh, Man! I want one too! Yet, I have to wait...
1950 USATT
BBC 1Ply Cypress
Innerforce ZLC
FH T64FX Red
Former Member of Puerto Rico's National Team
BH T80 Black
lamb636 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamb636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 3:42am
Originally posted by rabanitorosario rabanitorosario wrote:

Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

1+
Oh, Man! I want one too! Yet, I have to wait...

+2, work of art! 
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2012 at 12:59pm
Haha watchski still high from new toy syndrome. Wait a year and we'll see his blade in the for sale section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic