Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS America "Star" ping pong table

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS America "Star" ping pong table
    Posted: 10/12/2012 at 2:31am
I would like to buy a table tennis table and has been searching on the web to find a decent one with a price tag of less than CAN$550.  When I have almost decided to buy either the Joola Quattro or the Double Fish 01-203, I found the DHS America "Star" ping pong table in a local store nearby.  Has anyone heard of it or have experience playing on it?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-toys-games-DHS-AMERICA-STAR-TENNIS-TABLE-WWW-TENNISTABLE-CA-416-827-6351-W0QQAdIdZ420525754

Honestly, I am asking because I suspect it is not a genuine DHS table because first, the DHS label is only a sticker stick onto the side of the table (see website above).  Second, this "Star" model is no where to be found on the DHS America website at all.  Third, I cannot find a single review about it on the web and lastly, this is the only store that I can find in the entire world that sells this "Star" model.

Please comment if you have ever heard of or played on this DHS America Star table.  I probably will buy it if it is a genuine DHS table because it is the cheapest (CAN$449) among the 3 tables I am considering, thanks a lot!

Edited by arznable - 10/12/2012 at 2:57am
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 3:09am
It is this table known as Eurostar
only yours is cheaper and even chip-tuned, like it better. Definitely go for it.

arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 2:23pm
The DHS America Star does look very much like the DHS Eurostar.  But does the brand sticker look a bit suspicious?  My local ping pong club has a few genuine DHS Supreme Pro T1223 tables.  The DHS brand name is printed or painted on the side of the table instead of just having a brand sticker which can be removed easily.  I played on quite a lot of good to excellent table tennis table: Joola, Stiga, Butterfly, DHS, etc.  None of them have their brand names just stick on the tables with stickers.  This looks kind of fishy to me.  May be I am too suspicious and am wrong about it.  Surely it is still open for discussion and more opinions and comments are welcome, thanks.

Edited by arznable - 10/12/2012 at 2:27pm
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 2:57pm
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 4:02pm
Thanks Imago for the company website.  In fact, the DHS America Star is sold exclusively by this company only, not anywhere else.  However, the rest of the tables and products being sold are main stream brands and models like the Joola Quattro, Double Fish 01-203, etc.  May be I will just go there to try out and play on the table myself to decide.

Edited by arznable - 10/12/2012 at 4:04pm
ponghead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 4:26pm
I've bought a number of these tables. If it is the red frame version it is very good. The "STAR" tables are as good as any ive played on and i've been playing for 25+ years

Edited by ponghead - 10/12/2012 at 4:34pm
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2012 at 6:07pm
Thanks ponghead for the info.  A few more questions about the table for you:

1) About the "red frame version", do you mean there is a version which is red on all sides of the frame and legs, or do you mean a grey frame with just a bit red on the side like this one http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-toys-games-DHS-AMERICA-STAR-TENNIS-TABLE-WWW-TENNISTABLE-CA-416-827-6351-W0QQAdIdZ420525754?  If it is not the one you are refering to, can I ask what is the different between the grey frame version and the red one?

2) Did you buy the "Star" tables from this shop http://www.tennistable.ca/ at Dufferin & Steeles?  Did you paid the advertised $449 + tax + S/H or did you have a better deal?  If so, I would like to bargain with them. :)

3) Is there any locking machinism to prevent the table top from falling down when folded upright?  In the picture, it shows there isn't any lock there in folded position.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by arznable - 10/12/2012 at 6:19pm
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2012 at 1:31am
The two halves are separate and stay stable. No locking mechanism is needed. I have four tables with the same construction. Upgraded them easily to 1 1/4 pro table by gluing and screwing (using tin straps) a plasterboard to the bottom side of the chipboard.

Edited by Imago - 10/13/2012 at 2:08am
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2012 at 2:21am
Thanks for the info Imago.  If there are children running around in the house, there is a chance they will hit the table.  If there is no lock when the table top is folded up, it may fall down as a result which is quite dangerous.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2012 at 2:45am
There are locks on the wheels. It is extremely difficult to knock down the tops when folded up. You have to be 80 kg and jump at them. Besides, you can secure them to the wall.

The best recipe for a peaceful life is to send children to their grandma.
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2012 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

The best recipe for a peaceful life is to send children to their grandma.

Ha ha, great suggestion! Wink
ponghead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2012 at 9:53am
arznable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arznable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2012 at 10:49pm
Hi ponghead, is it the one you refered to as the "red frame" version?  Cause the frame looks kind of greyish to me.  Can I ask how much did you pay for it?  Did you bargain with the sales rep at TennisTable.ca to get a better deal than the advertised price?  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic