Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

REVIEW: Butterfly Drive Killer R (JPen w/RPB)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: REVIEW: Butterfly Drive Killer R (JPen w/RPB)
    Posted: 10/27/2012 at 4:33pm
This review is by NON pen hold user. I am shake hand player for 7 years, and this is my first attempt to cross into other side (pen hold). Please be aware !

Blade is very light. Adding FH rubber (Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm) and blade still was light. Adding second rubber on BH (Nittaku Narucross FX Soft 1.9mm) added weight. Holding a blade like shake hand felt OK for weight, but holding it like pen hold I have a feeling that my fingers had to be stronger. So, I think blade is on a heavier side with both thicker rubbers on it. My opinion with such a blade like this should include maybe LP on BH w/OX or very thin sponge. Maybe, but just maybe with very thin inverted (0.5mm or 1.0mm sponge) This can conclude weight of the blade with 2 regular rubbers. Going with just 1 side to play or as I said OX on BH or very thin inverted would be OK. Again, weight may not be issue for some as they played pen hold before, but my feeling was different as I never use it pen hold.

I had practice with it today for 4 hours, but will do review of that after tomorrow playing time. I will be practicing tomorrow for another 4 hours so I can write bigger more detailed review after 2 days. Look for it soon. Thanks Mel ...
Sponsored Links

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 6:57pm
Send part of above statement. Blade have excellent control. Very playable, but so hard to hold on to it. You need very strong hand and fingers. OUCH Pinch

I am having a blast playing with it, but my hand is just in such a pain with, especially my wrist. I am scared that I may hurt myself, LOL
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 7:16pm

Glad to hear things are coming along *sort of* you've inspired me to play Jpen too so i'm gonna have some fun too :)

We need a video of you Jpenning
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2012 at 9:18pm
I am having really bad pain in my wrist using Jpen :(
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2012 at 9:53pm
Take some pics of how you sand the shoulder down and your grip, it could be the weight of blade, wrong gripping or strokes that hurt your wrist.
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2012 at 10:34pm
Try to get the lighter blade. My Violin C-pen is 77 grams, and my Violin J-PH is only 70 grams.I suppose you glue the rubber until it touches the handle on the backhand side ?

Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2012 at 11:36pm
You maybe be trying to over-rotate on the backhand too much at the wrist? I'm assuming you've been caught a few times hitting  backhand off the forehand and not using RPB?
If so there is rotation at the wrist but the elbow  should be the pivot point and your wrist sets the angle...i hope you can picture that?

Edited by The Shakehander - 11/02/2012 at 11:36pm
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2012 at 5:43am
You should use long pimple OX rubber on the backhand side and thin inverted on the forehand side.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2012 at 10:25am
Gripping the blade in p-hold is not as straight forward as it may seem at first. I agree that you need to post pics or vid. There are several orthodox ways of holding the blade that you might have to experiment with. Adapting to the grip takes a couple of months, especially with regard to grip pressure. To much grip pressure not only causes discomfort in your hand but also tends stiffen your wrist, reducing it's range of motion. Players can have too much flexion or extension in their wrist, or try too use too much wrist to execute the stroke.  

I would also suggest holding the paddle when you are idle, watching tv, walking etc..., to help you get comfortable with your blade.
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
bubudobakdan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubudobakdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2012 at 2:07pm
Melarimsa:  where did u get yours?  I am still waiting to receive it from Japan.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2012 at 6:09pm
Rotational Jpens are not designed to carry two thick rubbers - it will become too head heavy thus limiting the wrist mobility making RPB ineffective. So, I would suggest to replace one rubber with a sheet of LP (OX or on thin sponge) and see what happens.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2012 at 12:31am
Just an idea I had:

If you wanted to split the difference between offense/defense, and split the difference between light/heavy, you may want to consider 1.5mm Reflectoid for RPB. It is light and good for defense but still very capable of top spin attack (e.g., flicks, etc.). 

Again... just an idea... fairly non-traditional, but so is your penhold approach. Wink

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2012 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by bubudobakdan bubudobakdan wrote:

Melarimsa:  where did u get yours?  I am still waiting to receive it from Japan.
Mine came from Japan ...
Still, hurt a lot. Pain like when you have elbow pain. I think I will give up :( ... Like someone said here, I think I need real coach to help me with training, and there is no one around here :( ... Sad, but true !
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2012 at 5:43pm
If there's still pain, you may have a sprain...i know you have a tourneys coming up so i'd say rest that wrist before you do more harm.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2012 at 5:39am
Play traditional penhold like me ! Big smile
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2012 at 9:38am
I think a lot of it has to do w/ the grip.  It might help if other jpen users could post pics of how they sanded the cork/wings so he can compare.  
Speedster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2012 at 2:30pm
I'm wondering if there is anyone wants to get mine. 
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Speedster Speedster wrote:

I'm wondering if there is anyone wants to get mine. 
Or mine Embarrassed ?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2012 at 9:14pm
Giving up at last? No pro player use that kind of handle must tells you something. Better get a decent Cpen and see if it works. Remember you don't hold the racket tight, just thumb and middle finger or 2 touching the BH side is enough. Index finger is relax for FH stroke and tighten up for RPB stroke. I know you won't feel secure holding the racket with just 3 fingers but in time you will get the right idea. And don't forget to sand the shoulder down heavily until you feel total smoothness twisting the racket in your hand. Only then you will be able to grasp the joy of penhold. I learnt all these in a painful way. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic