Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the SOFTEST sponge in the Universe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Globe999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globe999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the SOFTEST sponge in the Universe?
    Posted: 10/28/2012 at 11:19pm
I remember reading that back in the day most players selected a topsheet and sponge independently of each other.   It seems like hardly anyone does it today when you examine the marketplace.

I need the world's softest sponge!

What is it?  Where can I get it?
Sponsored Links

Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2012 at 11:48pm
Any soft sponge with lots of speed glue
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
Anderni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 7:14am
 Dunno if it's the softest in the universe, but colestt.com has some Air 30 deg sponges which can't be far off. He's got good topsheets as well and the site has tutorials for combining them.

Edited by Anderni - 10/29/2012 at 7:16am
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 8:29am
The softest I tried is the Butterfly Solcion Thumbs Up
TTFrenzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTFrenzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 9:02am
xiom omega iv elite and tibhar nimbus soft , are the softest rubbers from the populas rubbers i have played . xiom is bery good for backhand , it provides good feeling , tibhar nimbus wears down rather fast
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 9:33am
the softest is the joola timeless sponge. its like a dishwashing sponge soft 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 1:07pm
by mark, there is a palio gps 28deg.  Never tried it and don't know where to find it, but I know people in the past at least who have gotten it.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
megaspin01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaspin01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 1:19pm
by density, i haven't seen any lower than solcion (28 deg)

u don't want too soft sponge btw. it's for developing loopers using a lot of brush with little drive (soft topspin). although there are some really muscular players who can generate a lot of speed and spin just from brushing and some drive, a strong fh (~2200+) could achieve an even faster and spinnier shot with less power used by using a hard topspin technique 
*not related to megaspin.com
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 10:11pm
timeless way softer than solcion or palio gps
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 10:14pm
guys, none of these are as soft as the Grip-S that ttnpp sells

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 10:28pm
Butterfly Solcion
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 10:50pm
Desto F3 Bigslam.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 11:10pm
xiom omega elite isnt that soft but on the other hand vega elite is almost pure air
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2012 at 11:15pm
What about the dawei butter sponge.  I thought that was supposed to be ridiculously soft.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 6:17am
i still reiterate that the joola timeless has the softest sponge. many of you haven't even tried that anti spin rubber.. its wayyyyyy softer than all of the rubbers you guys have mentioned

Anderni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 9:17am
I think the OP wanted to buy the sponge separately, though. Of course you could buy a rubber and manually separate the topsheet, but it'll be easier to just buy a 5-10$ sponge.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i still reiterate that the joola timeless has the softest sponge. many of you haven't even tried that anti spin rubber.. its wayyyyyy softer than all of the rubbers you guys have mentioned

while its soft its also breaks when you even glance at it
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 9:32am
Can I just ask again why OP wants the softest sponge available? I'd not like to play anything more than a brush-loop with a sponge as soft as Joola Timeless.
Blade: Galaxy Venus-14

FH: Donic Bluefire M3

BH: Galaxy Moon

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 11:27am
Actually, i'm thinking you can't really brush loop with a super soft sponge.  Don't you need a harder sponge and tacky topsheet to brush loop?  With soft sponge you use a non tacky top and you have to sink the ball.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Actually, i'm thinking you can't really brush loop with a super soft sponge.  Don't you need a harder sponge and tacky topsheet to brush loop?  With soft sponge you use a non tacky top and you have to sink the ball.

You speak the truth! Only thing I was thinking was that the sponge would be so soft you could probably get it in play when brush looping/lifting backspin. Any sort of power loop, drive, or flatter shot would just bottom out the sponge.

In fact, I remember a pre-made racket I used to play with back in the day that probably had a hardness of no more than 24-25 degrees. It used to bottom out on everything but pushes and brush loops. Hell, it used to bottom out on fast, long serves! LOL 

Globe999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globe999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by shirazir shirazir wrote:

Can I just ask again why OP wants the softest sponge available? I'd not like to play anything more than a brush-loop with a sponge as soft as Joola Timeless.

Because I have met the Dawei 30 degree butter, and I like it very much.  I want to keep going lower, I want to see it all!  
shirazir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirazir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Globe999 Globe999 wrote:

Because I have met the Dawei 30 degree butter, and I like it very much.  I want to keep going lower, I want to see it all!  

Ah, more for EJing purposes. In that case, carry on! Tongue

Globe999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globe999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by shirazir shirazir wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

You speak the truth! Only thing I was thinking was that the sponge would be so soft you could probably get it in play when brush looping/lifting backspin. Any sort of power loop, drive, or flatter shot would just bottom out the sponge.

In fact, I remember a pre-made racket I used to play with back in the day that probably had a hardness of no more than 24-25 degrees. It used to bottom out on everything but pushes and brush loops. Hell, it used to bottom out on fast, long serves! LOL 

I do not fear the "bottoming out", I embrace it.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2012 at 2:40pm
@Globe999

729 FX Super Soft ---41*HD
DONIC DestoF3 Big Slam ---35*HD

should be quite the thing to meet your purpose.
Not easy to find here, in Europe., thought.

http://tabletennis-reviews.com/reference/sponge-hardness-table/
Rubber's Hardness rating list. Truly useful reference.

Edited by igorponger - 10/30/2012 at 3:36pm
Globe999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globe999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2012 at 9:39pm
I think I am having a bad EJ reaction.

I had my best results at a tournament ever a month ago.  I was using Palio CJ8000 1.4mm on Dawei Butter 30 degree sponge 1.8mm.  I wanted to get another sheet for backup, but it turned out the sponge was not available.  So I tried the 35 degree version.  It just wasn't the same.

I thought I'd tough it out.  I thought, if I'm only going to be able to get the 35 in the future, I better get used to it now.  

Yesterday at the club I played OK, but I just got fed up and decided to go back to the 30 degree sponge.  With the 35 degree sponge, I just lost 3-0 to my friend and nemesis, whom I rarely win a single game against. Now with the 30 degree sponge I was up 2-0 in one of my best performances against him ever.

I must protect my future, I need more Dawei 30 degree Butter sponge!  Cole is running out, who else could I possibly get it from?!?

Edited by Globe999 - 11/07/2012 at 9:41pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 12:11am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

timeless way softer than solcion or palio gps

802-40 mistery 3  comes with a pale green ultrasoft sponge,any way where to get that kind of sponge  like the  butter stuff under some 729 sheets
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 4:29am
the sponge of the joola timeless doesn't immediately goes back to its original form if you press your fingers on it, its that soft

YosuaYosan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YosuaYosan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 5:06am
Haven't found anything as soft as the sponge in my Tibhar Genius Optimum+ Sound.
GFoT| Blade : ProTop Arylate FL • FH : DHS 3 NEO BLACK MAX • BH : Kokutaku 007 Inner Power Sponge RED MAX

Crossover to Takeover!
manofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 10:51am
the sponge of the feint long 3 is the softest sponge that i ever see... i doubt that any otehr sponge can be more soft
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2012 at 4:10am
because you guys have not try the joola timeless antispin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic