Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water base glue affecting speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water base glue affecting speed
    Posted: 01/08/2013 at 6:04pm
A friend of mine who is a very high level player (top 20 in the U.S., and was national team for his country) insists that a certain major brand of water base glue makes the rubber play much faster than other similar looking glues. In my opinions the glue is the same as that from a couple other manufactures, as it comes in identical packaging, just a different label.

He say everyone in his country knows that brand X make your rubber play faster while brand Y gives better control.

I told him I think it is all in his head, that water glue is water glue. Since there is no VOC the speed should all be very much the same.

Have you noticed any performance difference (not adhesion) between different water based glues from the major manufacturers?
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 6:26pm
He is right. The more natural latex there is in the w/b glue, the faster it is.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2013 at 7:13pm
It's not likely to be noticable with a single layer though. DHS used to recommend 10 layers for their #15 glue, for a 'speed glue effect'. If you did apply multiple layers you  could indeed feel it to be more bouncy and faster, but with a single layer (unless it's very thick) perhaps only a professional could feel the very minor difference.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 1:43am
This is probably why Nittaku Finezip is so popular with professional players. Super elastic. 
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 6:07am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

This is probably why Nittaku Finezip is so popular with professional players. Super elastic. 

What about Tear Mender? I usually put around 4 - 5 layers tops. I am not even sure if it helps, lolApprove
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 7:21am
 Distinctions are more visible after glue polymerization ( 2...3 days).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 9:53am
I am very skeptical about this.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 11:25am
You guys need some glue education.

1) Glue porous sponges until the glue is flat and shiny covering the pores or the sponge will twist and slide on the blade (this is bad)

2) For tacky rubbers its only about building a layer of glue for extra spring and performance, I find 6-8 layers of Haifu waterbase is enough despite the instructions calling for up to ten layers. Even 6 gives a much more dynamic rubber than 2 layers. I only use two for testing a rubber. I never setup for a tournament with less than 6 layers.

Gluing with waterbase is a big deal, you need to get it right or you may as well stick to VOCs which IMHO have a performance disadvantage over well glued waterbase

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

What about Tear Mender? I usually put around 4 - 5 layers tops. I am not even sure if it helps, lolApprove
You guys can keep your Tear Mender.  I tried to buy a bottle of it a while back but all the bottles were dried up.  It seems they sat on the shelf sooooo long they dried up.  Finally found a bottle that wasn't completely dried up, but it looked thicker than normal water-based glue so I just gave it up and bought another bottle of WBG.
I did notice that WBG has more effect on speed than rubber cement.  I glued a sheet of SP on my friends blade and he loved the speed and pop he had with the SP.  A couple weeks later it was coming off around the edges so he peeled it off and glued it back on with rubber cement.  He played with it for 2 wks but kept complaining to me how it played slower and it didn't have the pop it had.  I took it off and glued it back on with WBG and Bam...the speed/pop were back.  We were surprised how much better it played with WBG.  Have always stuck with it since.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 1:30pm

He does not put many layers, so I am skeptical that such a thin layer would make a difference, unless there is some other ingredient that affects the sponge. Some of you who put 10 layers, are likely making things faster mostly from an extra 10 grams of mass.

I will give you 2 of the glues that he commented on. 1 was Butterfly Free Chack and the other was Donic Vario Clean. They both come in the same packaging, appear identical and seem to come from the same factory. He says one is much faster that the other. Anyone ever compared these 2?

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 1:41pm
Haifu WBG in the big bottles is too thin - that's why 8-10 layers are needed.
I guess, Bty is the slower one.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 1:57pm
yes, haifu is too thin. I ended up mixing it with the Tearmender bottle. Mixed absolutely perfectly. Been using that last year, still plenty left. Feels very lively first week or so. Not too strong though, will NOT hold curled tuned rubber.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 3:29pm
I've used both Donic Vario Clean and BTY Free Chack.  I didn't notice much difference in terms of speed/performance, but I did notice that the BTY glue had more of a citrus smell.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

yes, haifu is too thin. I ended up mixing it with the Tearmender bottle. Mixed absolutely perfectly. Been using that last year, still plenty left. Feels very lively first week or so. Not too strong though, will NOT hold curled tuned rubber.
that is a wonderful idea; I still have a bottle of tearmender and the bottle of wbg I bought to test (same amount) is too liquid -very much like water- so I'll do the exact same.
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 4:24pm
but then, with most WBGs, it's a HUGE pain in the butt to remove the glue residue. Granted, I only have experience with Free Chack and Donic Formula. Rubber cement is easy to use, cheap, quite easy to remove residue but I don't like how it peels off quickly. Tear Mender is the best glue I have used so far, the trick is to use a COSMETIC FOAM, best ever.
However, the last time I tried to put more layers using TM, I accidentally poured too much glue and after it dried up, the rubber surface is slightly uneven. If you can maintain thin layer after thin layer, it's great. Can't say I noticed any speed glue effect but whatevs
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 6:47pm
For me, the best way to get a thick piece of latex is to pour the tear mender into a flat non stick pan and run a heat gun over it for a bit. Then put a thin layer onto the sponge and glue this "latex sheet" onto it. Saves the time of endless layers with the sponge and blow dryer. Now you can also apply tuner to the latex. This extra layer seems to allow you to add a bit of tuner to chinese rubbers without the topsheet and sponge separating. 
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
batt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2013 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

He does not put many layers, so I am skeptical that such a thin layer would make a difference, unless there is some other ingredient that affects the sponge. Some of you who put 10 layers, are likely making things faster mostly from an extra 10 grams of mass.

I will give you 2 of the glues that he commented on. 1 was Butterfly Free Chack and the other was Donic Vario Clean. They both come in the same packaging, appear identical and seem to come from the same factory. He says one is much faster that the other. Anyone ever compared these 2?

alphapong,

Which glue, Vario Clean or Free Chack, is this player (Zaman Molla?) claiming is much faster than the other?
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 9:43am
I am skeptical too.  Rubber glues do not generate energy.  The rubber in the glue absorbs energy and then returns some of it.

I use fairly thin layers of water based glue ( Tearmender ).

If one glue is faster than the other it is because it absorbs less energy or returns a higher percentage of the energy it absorbed.

BTW, if I were going to try to estimate which glue was the fastest I would make a little ball about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter from each of the two glues.    I would then see which one bounces the best.   I bet none would bounce very well.  If anyone tries this then estimate what percentage of the initial height the balls were dropped that the balls bounce back too.

Think about it guys.  Where does the energy really come from?  Don't perpetuate myths.  Investigate for yourselves.  Do the experiment.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 9:58am
Superballs made from a good wbg glue do bounce (a lot). Especially balls made from Haifu glue.... Try it
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Superballs made from a good wbg glue do bounce (a lot). Especially balls made from Haifu glue.... Try it
But it won't bounce higher than the height it is dropped from.  Rubber glues do not make paddles faster.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 1:23pm
I have not experimented enough with WBG yet (just started with copydex and I glued 4 setups). What I remember with paper cement is the following: with a very thick coat of glue, we can experience a sling shot effect from the bottom of the sponge; let's talk about that sling shot effect: it can come from the tender topsheet --> at contact. the ball grabs the rubber and a piece of the topsheet is elongated and acts like a sling shot when the stored energy is released. With a very thick coat of paper cement the whole base may move and move back, acting like a sling shot as well.

The person who gave me a bottle of Copydex reports a catapult effect that is considerable; "lots of elasticity" is the exact quote and, right or wrong, I interpreted it as the sling shot effect. I have not tried yet and I am curious.

Did somebody try to apply -say- 12 to 20 coats of WBG and observe the difference at play?

Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 2:25pm
All I know that if I apply 4 or more layers of TM or Haifu wbg in thin layers that my rubbers feel more lively.
Shifter
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 4:17pm
I would be very cautious at using any more of a WBG than is necessary for adhesion at least on the sponge.  On the blade it doesn't matter.  Thus is especially with large-pored sponges like Tenergy.  In my opinion, the WBG glue seeps into the pores, then solidifies, and this degrades performance, both speed and spin.  This is less of a problem with the more viscous glues, like Donic Blue Thunder, for example.  It may be less of a problem with Tearmender because it dries so fast, but I would still avoid it because Tearmender is also quite liquid when you first apply it.  This is my experience, anyway.   

As for one WBG being faster than another, the chances are almost all of the ones sold by European TT companies are made in the same factory and are essentially the same, only about two variants available -- a viscous version recently introduced and the original version.  I have used most of them and have never seen any difference at all.  I'm not a 2500 player or anything like that, but I'm good enough to be able to tell the difference if there was one.  For Chinese glues though, could be true for all I know, I have not tried any of them.  But I am very skeptical.  The way old speed glues worked was by expanding topsheet and sponge to different degrees, thereby producing a tension on the top sheet.  I have never seen a WBG do that.  Adding a "bouncy" layer between the blade and rubber just doesn't seem like it could possibly have enough effect relative to the sponge to be noticeable.

Edit:  I forgot I have a bottle of Haifu WBG in a large blue bottle that I bought on advice of someone here.  It is so runny it is a true pain to use.  You need a hairdryer.  It had no noticeable change in performance.  I haven't used it in a couple of years. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

the WBG glue seeps into the pores, then solidifies, and this degrades performance, both speed and spin

I would argue once the minimum glue required for adherence is applied on the sponge, any additional layer there will not sink through that 1st solidified one.

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Adding a "bouncy" layer between the blade and rubber just doesn't seem like it could possibly have enough effect relative to the sponge to be noticeable.

One additional layer might not give a noticeable effect; what about 10 more? just curious...
It's worth trying after what roger wrote above.
The effect would be given by the sponge sliding horizontally, parallel to the blade, making those layers of wbg act as a sling shot hand in hand with the topsheet.
the timing might be tricky though as the 2 sling shot effects from both the tender topsheet and the wbg super thick layer might not always work ideally in a timely manner given the force put into the stroke.
An analogy would be a fh loop unloaded too late after the legs/hips work, or too early before they have thrown all what they can.
Here we want the sponge to come back right before or at the same time the topsheet does. If the sponge comes back too quick while the topsheet is still in its back swing, it might cancel out the topsheet sling shot effect; same if the topsheet comes back too quick while the sponge is still in its back swinging step or has not started to come back.
Anyway I am borderline nitpicking here...Confused

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2013 at 4:55pm
Makes some sense too.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2013 at 1:42am
WBG does not get solid when dried, it is elastic....
Shifter
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2013 at 3:46am
 ..." WBG does not get solid when dried, it is elastic....".
  Depends on glue and time.

Edited by viktorovich - 12/25/2013 at 5:11am
szikorz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szikorz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2013 at 4:26am
I have seen Ma Lin taking off the glue from his blue sponge (picture was somewhere here at the forum - probably the pro´s equipment) and there was a minimum of 2 mm ůayer of the dry VOC glue there. I assume, there must be something on that, not to mention, that my personal experience confirm that, the performance of the covering changes with the amount of glue on the sponge. 
Stiga Clipper Wood CR WRB - Fh: Yasaka Rakza 7 - Bh: Tibhar 5Q

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 3:07am
I notice adding more layers of water based glue, makes the dwell time longer, ball become slower...
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2015 at 9:48am
Brought her back to life. Aye?

Plus if you dont seal your blade, slowly the wbg slows down your blade.
If i put 3+ layers of tearmender it makes a much louder sound compared to 3 layers of wbg.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic