Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 1-ply Hinoki Blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
megaworld View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 1-ply Hinoki Blade
    Posted: 09/07/2021 at 8:26am
How do you put the quote in a box?

Between, my other blades are:
Septear: H3NPBS40 and O7Guang
Hibi-O Tour: O7Ying

Lessons learnt of the Hinoki:
- 7-ply ≠ 1-ply
- 1-ply Kokutaku ≠ 1-ply Nittaku ≠ 1-ply Xiom

Sponsored Links

megaworld View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2021 at 8:17am
Yes, I have D09c 1.9mm on one of my blades. Works great. I also use Globe 999 national (supposedly Smile). For my level the Speed 90 is so fast and direct that there's no need to boost any 'Chinese-type' rubbers.
I have tried H3, G999, T05, T05H, D80, D05, D09c. I found T05H the most fun and D09c the most reliable.
By reliable, I mean that it's the rubber that best allows me to get the ball on the table when making those awkward, difficult half-strokes when under pressure. That's probably why so many players have it on the backhand side.
[/QUOTE]

How is T05H most fun?

Rubbers in consideration for the Kokutaku 3008 are: 
FH: H3NPBS40, O7Guang/Ying, Aibiss, D80, T05H, R53, BlueGrip C1/C2
BH: H8-80, O7Guang/Ying/Tour, T25, R53/R48, PK50

I have not tried D09c but I heard that it is 'mushy' for a hard rubber?
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2021 at 7:17am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I will never forget the 1st time I tried a Speed 90. It was metalone who let many members try his own around 2010. He put on a Tenergy 05 black 1.9mm on one side and the blade visited many members including myself. The pairing with that rubber was phenomenal. I like 1.8 or 1.9 on 1-ply blade since then, I feel like more sponge tames the blade's feel. The topsheet of 05 with thinner sponge than max is ideal on 1-ply. 

Did anybody try Dignics 09c 1.9mm on a 1-ply hinoki blade? it should be no less fantastic.

Yes, I have D09c 1.9mm on one of my blades. Works great. I also use Globe 999 national (supposedly Smile). For my level the Speed 90 is so fast and direct that there's no need to boost any 'Chinese-type' rubbers.
I have tried H3, G999, T05, T05H, D80, D05, D09c. I found T05H the most fun and D09c the most reliable.
By reliable, I mean that it's the rubber that best allows me to get the ball on the table when making those awkward, difficult half-strokes when under pressure. That's probably why so many players have it on the backhand side.

Edited by Tinykin - 09/07/2021 at 7:32am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
megaworld View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2021 at 3:56am
Purchased Kokutaku Weizhou No. 1 Super 3008. Shake hand FL. 9mm. 109g! Only 2 left at the shop and the lighter one's grains were sloping. 109g had straight grains. Made a mistake with the rubbers, Victas Triple Double Extra max and Kokutaku G-10 red sponge max. Total weight 210g/210+g, heavy! However, didn't feel heavy when playing. Rather the issue was with the rubbers. Very controlled set-up; slow. No hinoki feel! However, I was able to return many balls back to the table but easier for opponent to block my smashes. I guess I'll use it to improve my techniques before replacing them with faster rubbers, maybe back to H3NPBS40 and D80 or D80 and O7. Else, back to T25, per my previous Nittaku Jpen. 
HuLimei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuLimei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2021 at 1:39pm
Quality-wise I can't tell the difference.
Tho I only have a low quality (taken from a butterfly premade) and several midgrade Hinoki (standard old 9mm black tag) bats to compare each other to.

There's also the issue of the highest, top of the line Hinoki usually reserved for the 10.5mm blades. Maybe the higher quality tighter grains will be marginally faster but I don't know why you would want faster. Standard 9mm Low grade is fast enough as it is. I have no desire to play with blades above 10mm.

The lowest quality 1 Hinokis will have better feel and control than your standard 5-7 ply woods and composites so if you can your hands on one of those go for it.
Butefly Wiscaria Cold Edition (w/Black Tag)
FH: Tee-Oh-Five Hardest
BH: Tee-Oh-Five Hardur
megaworld View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 8:58am
Apologies for the confusion!

I'm looking for a 1-ply shakehand, not Jpen.
Hence, the 3 choices.
Recently converted to using shakehand.

The Xiom was a recent purchase after selling my 35-year-old Nittaku 1-ply Jpen (which the handle looks like Butterfly's Senkoh).
Regretted selling it, I should have sent it back to Japan for refurbishment.
The Xiom was purchased to replace the Nittaku and I was intrigued by the Xiom shape.
It is my first time trying out Xiom Jpen.

Am contemplating the Kokutaku Bishu No.1 chou-super-cyoutokusen.
However, this means start of a new and expensive hobby collecting 1-ply hinoki blades. :-P

penholderxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penholderxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 5:11am
 I hope this thread still works.
I was told today that "Kokutaku has changed its management structure. They are still operating in Japan, but basically unreachable. If you place an order with Kokutaku, you will receive the goods, but the delivery time will be delayed. Also, the quality seems to have gone down from before."

Does anyone know when the management structure was changed? ....... - Megaworld

If you are looking for a Kokutaku Jpen, you can try TT-Japan. Its web page shows the Bishu No.1 chou-super-cyoutokusen is available.

Any quality/ performance issue with your Xiom Hibi-O Tour Jpen ?

Iloveplayingtabletennis
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 3:30am
Hi, I can recommend you buying a TSP Dynam Special. They're cheap, their quality is totally comparable to Butterfly's, and they're widely available.
megaworld View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megaworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 2:30am
I hope this thread still works.
I was told today that "Kokutaku has changed its management structure. They are still operating in Japan, but basically unreachable. If you place an order with Kokutaku, you will receive the goods, but the delivery time will be delayed. Also, the quality seems to have gone down from before."

Does anyone know when the management structure was changed?

And more importantly has the quality really gone down from before?
I was deciding for a 1-ply Kiso Hinoki shakehand blade between Kokutaku Weizhou No. 1 3008 (after reading this thread) or a Darker Speed 90 or a Darker Imperial Hinoki 2020.

Currently using a Nittaku Septear shakehand and Xiom Hibi-O Tour Jpen. 7-ply feel is not the same as a 1-ply, hence the decision above. Thank you.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by amateur101 amateur101 wrote:

Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

I did not have a chance to play Kokutaku, but I have played couple Darkers and Juic 1 Ply Hinoki. Among them, Darker Speed 90 is the best. I would say that it is the best blade among my blades too.

What qualities makes you consider the Darker Speed 90 to be the best?
Franky, I don't know what the difference wood quality among Hinoki blade. They look the same to me. All 1 ply Hinoki have a great special soft feel. But somehow Darker Speed 90 has even better feel. The blade is great for blocking, smashing (with great speed). Since the blade is so powerful, I don't need to work hard on looping against heavy underspin.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 9:45pm

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

First I really don't like my Kokutaku 3008 shakehand
I did not have a chance to play Kokutaku, but I have played couple Darkers and Juic 1 Ply Hinoki. Among them, Darker Speed 90 is the best. I would say that it is the best blade among my blades too.

Since I only have 1 one ply blade, I haven't tried any other brand. Is there any difference between 9 mm Kokutaku n 9 mm Darker? Is there hard hinoki or soft hinoki? Or all hinoki are soft?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

amateur101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 3:31pm

What qualities makes you consider the Darker Speed 90 to be the best?
Stiga Clipper CR-WRB
FH/BH - TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 1:45pm

First I really don't like my Kokutaku 3008 shakehand
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 12:29pm

...perhaps I will stick to 1 ply n never turn back, who knows...

No you won't. I know.
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 10:31am
First I really don't like my Kokutaku 3008 shakehand. I choose the tightest grain available from 6 blades in the stores. But I get the heaviest which is 94 gr at the store. But when I weight it at my digital scale, the real weight is 96 gr!!!!
First I thought Soft hinoki blades will match hard rubber. I put H3P 40 deg n 39 deg which weight 46 n 45 gr each. Total setup 188 gr which I found heavy. I don't feel enough vibrabtion with this setup up. It's hard to loop with H3P because it doesn't has enough dwell time for my skill at that time.

Today I try it again with the same rubber that I put on H-king which is mambo GP and Roxon 450. Before I put rubber on the blade, I weight it with the same digital scale, the weight of my 3008 decrease from 96 gr to 93,9 gr in 6 months since I bought it. My total setup now only weight 178 gr, which I found much easier to go back to stand by position after looping, blocking manuver is also faster.
Since Mambo GP and Roxon are softer than H3P, I can feel the ball penetrate deeper into the sponge. I can feel more vibration than using H3P.

I will try to play with 1 ply for several weeks to get used to it Big%20smile
I heard many good things from the member of Single Ply Hinoki about the superb feeling and power of 1 ply. Perhaps I haven't got the skill to use it, I'll try to explore the good thing of 1 ply, perhaps I will stick to 1 ply n never turn back, who knows Tongue
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2008 at 9:24am
reading malvin's posts is really entertaining!
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 11:53pm
My Darker Speed 90 (also 9 mm) weighs 84 grams, and I selected this weight out of 4 or 5 alternatives which were heavier.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

rf20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Harold Harold wrote:

rf20:

Well for me plain cypress is plain hinoki. But I guess that there's a lot we don't know yet. You can read SDRamones' post above. Let's just stick to straight tight grains and weight, ok?

I cannot read Chinese. Your Sp70, mind my ignorance, what brand is it? How thick? Weight ?

SP70 is Darker Speed 70, and the blade is at least 9mm thick. I do not know the weight, but it feels like around 90g.
rf20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 10:25am

rf20:

Well for me plain cypress is plain hinoki. But I guess that there's a lot we don't know yet. You can read SDRamones' post above. Let's just stick to straight tight grains and weight, ok?

I cannot read Chinese. Your Sp70, mind my ignorance, what brand is it? How thick? Weight ?

SP70 is Darker Speed 70, and the blade is at least 9mm thick. I do not know the weight, but it feels like around 90g.
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 11:34am

rf20:

Well for me plain cypress is plain hinoki. But I guess that there's a lot we don't know yet. You can read SDRamones' post above. Let's just stick to straight tight grains and weight, ok?

rf20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rf20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 11:12am

Hi again. Ok I got it from Taipei. Friend was on holiday. Kind enough to sms me if I wanted coz it's cheaper than the Kokutaku's I've seen in Singapore shop.

It's not Cypress. Why I say so? It's plain, bare , no printing on the blade surface. The handle's blue like Timo BS. No plastic title on the handle too. So after glueing the rubbers, can't tell FH from BH except the colour of your rubber. The BTY brand's nailed just the same like all other blades at the end of the handle.

I've got mine ST handle. Availability of 8.3 or 9mm. Chose 9mm as it's more pop. The finish? Better than Kokutaku. 94g. Fixed with Jap rubbers. Very powerful with a soft feel. Love it. Great for looping both FH and BH. And the cost? 2/3 the price of Kokutaku.

I have the same one from Taiwan, but I thought Cypress is Hinoki. You can find some information here at http://www.tabletennis.com.tw/index_1.htm. I also bought a Sp70 1 ply Hinoki shake hand from this company.
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 7:56am

Good luck Harold.

Maybe my lemony scent isn't as distinctive since I only have multi-ply blades. 

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
Harold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 3:06am
Now the quest to find the best 1-ply hinoki blade begins! Thanks all for the great info.
Shalashashka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shalashashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 1:48am
Kiso is just a region in Japan. It refers to hinoki originating from that region.

Yes, hinoki give off a lemon like scent. Mine does at least.
Extra Rorin.
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 1:38am

THAT is a very good question, which I have not found the answer to.  THat would be interesting to know.  I wonder if there is a difference. 

Also, I've noticed that the Hinoki Blades I have encountered smell different.

I've heard that HINOKI gives off a distictive lemon scent.  Personally to me it doesn't smell like lemons, but my nose isn't that sensitive.

Adib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2006 at 1:21am

SDRamones:

Great explain. So how we wants indentify our blade is hinoki or kiso hinoki.

SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 9:18pm

Thanks ...Haggisv and StefanusJ.  Glad to contribute.

I personally am trying to figure that one out now.  THe more I play with my little boys Visse Balsa Blade the more I am liking it.  I am able to control the shot more.  And with the right rubber combination - some shots that were previously hard for me with my current setup are actually a little bit eaier for me to do with the lighter blade.

I'll post if I find out anything significant.

Plus this Borko blade is very interesting to me.  It's fascinating the different woods and wood combinations he is using.  Plus to me the UGLY blade actually looks good to me.  I like the different wood grains.  To me it is classically timeless.  Like the old STIGA blades.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 8:14pm

Excellent information "SDRamones"!

Perhaps you can enlighten us on the different kind of Balsa wood out there as well? There is the real soft 100% Balsa blades out there, and then there's the balsa layers such as the ones used in Friednship blades, which looks different and feels a fair bit harder (but you can still push it in with a fingernail).

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 7:32pm

It's the Science major in me

Before I started buying Hinoki blades I looked up the information and since someone inquired I just decided to share a little bit and share the knowledge.

I always wondered why it was so sought after and revered.  It is wood, but now I know why it is special and limited.

stefanusj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanusj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2006 at 7:20pm
SDRamones, you rules man... Very very educative to us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic