Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swiss Open 2013 videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

Yes but you can adjust to a new table, but you can't to an old one. Maybe wang practice a lot on old tables at his club and matinett maybe practice on new butterfly tables or something alike ( I do not know what the French league are using right now) and that is a very big difference I might say.

You are essentially saying Wang Zheng is some kind of scrap player, when in reality he's probably very near Mattenet's level.  At any rate, to be frank your argument is making you look like a fool.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Sponsored Links

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 2:40am

Yes but you can adjust to a new table, but you can't to an old one. Maybe wang practice a lot on old tables at his club and matinett maybe practice on new butterfly tables or something alike ( I do not know what the French league are using right now) and that is a very big difference I might say.
I don't know why it would be harder or easier to adjust to a new table versus an old table.

The tables in my home club are newer and better quality than the tables in Portland (about 60 miles away).  The ball plays faster on our tables and slower on their.  When I visit the Portland club, I have to make two adjustments: first, I have to change my timing and that takes a lot of practice. Second, I have to change my tactics because the balls that are fast at my club aren't so fast at the Portland club.  If I go there just to visit, then it's no big deal.  If I go for a tournament, with minimal warm-up, then it will take me about half the day to adjust. The Portland players, of course, don't have to adjust at all.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 2:42am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

You are essentially saying Wang Zheng is some kind of scrap player, when in reality he's probably very near Mattenet's level.  At any rate, to be frank your argument is making you look like a fool.

If his level is soo good we will all see him in a protour soon and hope somehow he will make through the qualifying groups and I will be the fool not yourself of course.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 3:00am

If his level is soo good we will all see him in a protour soon and hope somehow he will make through the qualifying groups and I will be the fool not yourself of course.

Many good players do not have the funding to attend pro tours.  However, Wang did play in the 2012 Slovanian Open (an ITTF World Tour) and made the quarterfinals of Men's Singles, only losing to Ma Long.  He beat Yang Zi, Tan Ruiwu and Gao Ning along the way.  So yes, you made a fool of yourself.  Wink

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 3:08am
Wang Zheng has also beaten Chen Weixing twice, at the 2009 U.S. Open and 2012 North American Team Championships.  Hardly a scrub.

mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 3:26am

Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

bottomline: that was a very stupid and funny comment by mikael

Bottom line you don't have anything else to say, keep repeating it and maybe you will not look more stupid.

oh i have something say, it is very stupid to imply that equipment has a bigger factor than skill for pros in their win/loss ratio. time and again you implied that. havent you learned anything?

Edited by mrdoodzki - 02/14/2013 at 4:13am
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
sugengz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugengz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 3:28am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

But if you tell me the playing circumstances are non-standard, then that change will favor one player over another. People who say "it's the same change for both players so it should affect them the same" are not using logic.

I never say whether the playing circumstances standard or non-standard... What I'm saying is that every match have different situations which each player should adjust, so that he/she could fully utilise the advantages...

Anyway... usually (not all the time) players tried to tables the day before or on warm-up session...

What I try to say is that don't make the table as a major excuse...

vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 3:29am
Jesus christ. What kind of arguments are these? Mickael, why are you behaving like a 12-year old brat with dumbass ideas and too stubborn to see what's right and what's wrong? Yes, there's a possibility that the table was a slight advantage to Wang. Or Mattenet didn't get laid the night before and lost due to sexual frustration. Sounds too absurd? Can you prove otherwise? No, then I am right. This is your logic. WTF, really? What kind of dumbass theories are these? I literally read your posts and feel like slapping you to wake the hell up. I am sorry, it's 3AM here, but for real, man. Pull your sh*t together.

Apologies to other folks for my profanity but this is ridiculous.......

EDIT: I am amaze what kind of excuses people are pulling off here. Tables, really? What comes next? Bad glue job? Dust on the rubber? Chewing gum on shoe sole? 

As if players come to a tournament and play right away. They warm up for hours before the "2 minute" warm up. That should provide plenty of time to adjust to any differences. In fact, unless it's really bad quality, it JUST CAN't be THAT different. It ain't no clay versus grass, guys.

Edited by vutiendat1337 - 02/14/2013 at 3:34am
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 4:20am
i like eugene wang's style. passive yet effective...what's his equipment???
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 12:11pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qS2McHvFOk
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

i like eugene wang's style. passive yet effective...what's his equipment???

Interesting question. Generally I don't care much about pro-player's rackets (they can play great with pretty much anything) but recently I've tried identifying traits of players given their equipment speed type.

Eugene Wang's the only guy who does not fit! He uses a fast set up (Innerforce ZLC with T05 / T05 FX) but seems to control well at the table. Other players who use fast blades can be identified by their games: 

Mattenet, Mizutani, Koki Niwa all use ZLC and end up giving up the table quite early and often. Mattenet, in particular, seems to pop up slightly higher balls more often than his equal or higher ranked opponents. Perhaps they don't mind giving up the table as they see some advantage from mid-distance given their setup.

Samsonov uses fast setup for blocking and counterattacking from mid-distance. Waldner's setup seemed fast and low throw as well - suited for his mid-distance play.

Ovtcharov's setup (again suiting his mid-distance play) seems fast but this especially goes for his rubbers.
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 1:03pm
he's using innerforce zlc with h3 on fh, some type of tenergy on bh
nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 1:16pm
ok guys,cut it off.
stop arguments.
win or lose is nothing to do with the table.
you only can said the most is no luck.lol
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 4:30pm
Matinett draw heavy spin, side spin, loop drive , loop loop, smashes the effect of all the variation of the balls on the table looked the same same. Wang returned them like there were no variations. This shouldn't happen if a new table was used at this tournament. The ball just slides to Wang and return everything in with an open blade angle, it can't be true if a new table were used. Look like some of participant in this discussion (and specially the ones that could not control their temper) they didn't play on an old table and on a new one the same week, they really don't have an idea what I am talking about. Learning is behaving , keep on learning new things you would behave much better.

Edited by Mickael - 02/14/2013 at 4:31pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 5:08pm
Maybe you should heed your own advice, lol.  The dumbest excuse I've heard for losing a match so far... Fortunately it's not the excuse used by Mattenet himself for losing the match, I am pretty sure.

Edited by roundrobin - 02/14/2013 at 6:27pm

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Many good players do not have the funding to attend pro tours.  However, Wang did play in the 2012 Slovanian Open (an ITTF World Tour) and made the quarterfinals of Men's Singles, only losing to Ma Long.  He beat Yang Zi, Tan Ruiwu and Gao Ning along the way.  So yes, you made a fool of yourself.  Wink

A lot of people must have just been having bad days at once. LOL

Mickaels whole argument is on the table being too slick because it's old... but I thought it was the slicker the better, the spin stays on the ball more. Nicer top end tables are much much slicker than the cheaper tables. Tables that are too grippy scrub some spin off, slicker tables let the ball spin out more. 

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure Eugene's game is a lot more reliant on variation than Mattenet's game is. I haven't seen a point from mickael yet. :( 
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 7:55pm
Mattenet hasn't really been doing well in big tournaments. He had a great couple of years in 2009 and 2010 but his level has dropped since then. I am a big fan, just wish he would commit to more offensive style, he is like the European Jun Mizutani. You can only go so far with fishing.
who no know go know
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 8:00pm
I see a couple of problems with Mattenet's game if he wants to seriously improve his ranking to the point that his performance against top level players suggests he can e.g. to crack the top 10:

1. He needs to learn how to "bring it" most days, not just when he is playing against a top player.

2. He has to find a way to win against lower ranked players even when he is not in top form. The top players (in pretty much any sport) have a second or third gear where they cruise to victory most of the time against lower ranked players while playing within themselves and/or not playing their best.

I feel that Mattenet plays in hyper-drive mode most of the time without a clear plan B or a gear where he can be consistent without being at his best.

I thought Eugene's style of play gave him an opportunity to play a few medium paced rallies to find his rhythm and he could have built his pace back up if things "clicked".

Everyone can (and does) have bad days where they just suck but the disappointing thing for me in Mattenet's play was how little he tried. IMO it would have been better to try at least a plan B and lose either because he didn't have it or the opponent was too good on the day rather than blast away with plan A all the time.

By the way, none if this is meant to take away from Eugene Wang's performance. He clearly is an excellent player and played very well. Players with his kind of style are often under-rated and players with Mattenet's more spectacular style frequently get over-rated.

If looking spectacular was the key to success then Kong Linghui would have had no chance against most of his peers.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 12:00am
last year on august the mindanao branch of TATAP held a weekend tournament in Iligan City, Lanao del Norte here in Mindanao. on the first day, old tables from the iligan tt club were used. on the second day, mr. ting ledesma arrived in iligan city bringing with him new donic tables from manila. so i got to play with both types of tables, and i tell you the new tables were SLICKER and because it was like that, the balls bounced HIGHER and they were MUCH MORE SPINNY than with the old tables. so ya, somebody did try both old and new tables here
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 1:57am
Gooood, but the old table surface keep the spin on the ball, the new table friction take the spin of the ball, that is with heavy backspin the ball tend to stop and bouce higher , sidespin would be much more effective. On an old table sidespin slides and don't jump around too much, the backspin slides and you still have all the spin on the ball and the ball stays low. For topspin the new table makes the ball jump higher much higher so you have to be good and fit to hit he ball at the right timing. The old table makes the the topspin look like a loop drive with a very low trajectory where you don't have to judge the ball spin or where it is.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 2:20am
you just contradicted yourself with your latest post. you're not making sense
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 4:09am
chunky, that Eugene Wang, but jumpy and fluid nonetheless. 

Mattenet is seriously overrated imo. Clumsy giant who knows nothing but serve and drop back and start lobbing, and when occasionaly comes back from the dead from back behind always walks around and looks at everyone inviting screaming ovation. He was uncharacteristically aggressive and close to the table in the first few games but one Eugene pushed him off the table Mattenet came to his usual play and hanged himself quickly. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
shaks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

I see a couple of problems with Mattenet's game if he wants to seriously improve his ranking to the point that his performance against top level players suggests he can e.g. to crack the top 10:

1. He needs to learn how to "bring it" most days, not just when he is playing against a top player.

2. He has to find a way to win against lower ranked players even when he is not in top form. The top players (in pretty much any sport) have a second or third gear where they cruise to victory most of the time against lower ranked players while playing within themselves and/or not playing their best.

I feel that Mattenet plays in hyper-drive mode most of the time without a clear plan B or a gear where he can be consistent without being at his best.

I thought Eugene's style of play gave him an opportunity to play a few medium paced rallies to find his rhythm and he could have built his pace back up if things "clicked".

snip----
+100
~shaks
Usatt 2150

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 9:44am
Originally posted by shaks shaks wrote:

snip----
+100
Why would you say that?  Did he always lost to lower rank player?
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 8:48am
Quote Why would you say that?  Did he always lost to lower rank player?

He has done that a bit recently and his ranking has dropped. Let me put it another way:

At any level (1000 / 1500 / 2000 / 2500 / Pro / whatever), there are basically two extremes of player for that level and most people fall somewhere in between those extremes:

1. The ball striker.

This person hits the ball better (harder, with more spin) than other players of their rating, is athletic and has good technique. They rely on their superior shot-making ability to beat their opponents. Their problems are mental. They try to:

-- overpower the opponent without thinking much about tactics (focus is on their own play).
  --can easily get discouraged / angry if they fall behind in the match / miss an easy shot / end up on the wrong end of a disputed net or edge call ... basically any adversity upsets them.
  -- their shot selection is poor: sometimes they go for too much when it's not on and other times they play passively when they should be aggressive.
  --their emotions can interfere with their play
  --can beat much higher ranked players and lose to much lower ranked players

2. The thinker.

This person has limited strokes for their level but knows how to get the most out of what they have. They:

--pick the right stroke to play most of the time
  --are not as athletic as most of the players at their level
  --focus on winning / what to do to win instead of pleasing the crowd or trying to look cool.
  --know how to play to their strengths and the opponent's weaknesses (focus on analysing the opponent)
  --rarely get flustered when faced with adversity.
  -- controls their emotions
  --seldom loses to a much lower ranked player but doesn't pull off too many big upsets

I'm just saying that I think Mattenet falls much more into the ball striker camp than the thinker camp.

To take a tennis example (and I'm not trying to pick on the French!), look at Gael Monfils. He hits it harder than just about anyone when he wants to and is a phenomenal athlete. However, he spends most of the time pushing the ball from five metres behind the baseline and then goes for broke from hopeless positions and generally seems to focus more on pleasing the crowd than winning.

It's a testament to his amazing talent that he hangs around the fringes of the top 10 in the world and like Mattenet, I think he would be well advised to get a coach who thinks like Brad Gilbert of "Winning Ugly" fame.

Edited by ttTurkey - 02/16/2013 at 8:53am
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 9:39am
Eugene Wang just beat  CHEN Chien-An TPE
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 1:53pm
close games with wang hao
any video 

17    WANG Hao CHN    
 19:15 - 16/2/2013   Table 4   4-2: WANG Hao
  9-11,13-11,11-8,11-8,10-12,11-9,-
 18    WANG Eugene ^ CAN    

Edited by nittakuball - 02/16/2013 at 1:58pm
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 2:14pm

[QUOTE] 

It's a testament to his amazing talent that he hangs around the fringes of the top 10 in the world and like Mattenet, I think he would be well advised to get a coach who thinks like Brad Gilbert of "Winning Ugly" fame.

On-court coaching isn't allowed in tennis.  So it hardly matters whether your coach is a great tactician or not if you can't think like him.  That's one major difference with table tennis, where coaches can affect strategy during the match.

You may be right about Mattenet, but I think table tennis encourages the existence of ball strikers by allowing coaching.  Monfils's problems are far less strategic and far more temperamental - he loves flair, but is pretty consistent about that.  And he rarely lost to lower rated players.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 3:04pm
I am so the ball striker LOLLOL
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 1:05am
On-court coaching isn't allowed in tennis.  So it hardly matters whether your coach is a great tactician or not if you can't think like him.  That's one major difference with table tennis, where coaches can affect strategy during the match.
The coach is sitting cross-legged? Be more aggressive. The girlfriend puts a cap on? Use your forehand down the line. The coach rubs his nose? Serve to the forehand. I think there is as much coaching in tennis (at least at the top levels) but it's more subtle because it's not allowed.

When I said that I thought Mattenet needs a mental / strategic coach, I didn't really mean during matches. I meant someone who would work with him on his point-winning strategies during video analysis and practice sessions, convinced him of the importance of winning table tennis instead of entertaining table tennis etc.

You may be right about Mattenet, but I think table tennis encourages the existence of ball strikers by allowing coaching.  Monfils's problems are far less strategic and far more temperamental - he loves flair, but is pretty consistent about that.  And he rarely lost to lower rated players.

I think Mofils has a tactical and temperament problem, they are 2 sides of the same issue (focusses on having fun, not winning) I enjoyed this quote about Monfils:

Contrary to this sound approach, Monfils usually rolls the ball into play even when his opponent offers a soft return after a big serve. He will then chase the ball for a while, suddenly going for a huge forehand only when out of position or at completely unpredictable times. This approach once prompted an announcer to say that he isn’t “that interested in playing tennis; I just think he quite likes running around the court and pulling off the impossible.”

After beating Monfils about this time last year, Andy Murray, another player whose defense is central to his game, said that the Frenchman “almost enjoys running too much and almost likes you to dictate play.”

If you could put Nadal, Federer or Djokovic's mind into Monfils' body I think you would have a multiple grand slam title winner. Monfils' mind in their body ... not sure they would have won anything.

Same thing for Mattenent, I think if you could put the mind of one of the top Chinese players into his body then he would be ranked higher. My main point re. him and Monfils is that they are under-achievers and I'm pretty sure it's a mental and tactical issue.

Let the crowd be entertained by watching high level table tennis (or tennis) and leave the playing fun rallies because you can for exhibition matches.

Some fun Monfils clips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic