FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ball color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball color
    Posted: 02/15/2013 at 1:54pm
Was just wondering...how come I rarely see orange balls being used? It's usually the white one that's being used...hmm...
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
Sponsored Links

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 2:35pm
White is the "classic" color of TT balls, and if I remember correctly, the orange ones didn't become legal in sanctioned play till some point in the 90's (could be wrong on that though). According to ITTF rules, the choice of color for the balls should be made in accordance with the playing area and surroundings. So, I think orange balls are really only used in the rare cases where some significant areas of white are present.
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

White is the "classic" color of TT balls, and if I remember correctly, the orange ones didn't become legal in sanctioned play till some point in the 90's (could be wrong on that though). According to ITTF rules, the choice of color for the balls should be made in accordance with the playing area and surroundings. So, I think orange balls are really only used in the rare cases where some significant areas of white are present.

I see..where I play, the side walls are usually white...hence I usually get the orange one. Lol. But yeah, was guessing the same reason too..most of the mats in TT Olympics are red so it would really be easier to see a white ball..anyway, thanks!

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 4:12pm
When i played regularly pre-glue era, orange balls were only allowed as practice balls. I see more orange now than white being used regularly except for tournaments where it's 50/50.

Edited by The Shakehander - 02/15/2013 at 4:14pm
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 4:18pm
Rumour has it Nittaku white balls last longer than orange ones - I am seeing more people switching back to the white ones at our club. Previously, orange was used more
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Rumour has it Nittaku white balls last longer than orange ones - I am seeing more people switching back to the white ones at our club. Previously, orange was used more

Hmm..interesting rumor :) Any ideas as to why this is so? :))

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 1:04am
Once an ittf empire gave an answer to that. For there is no fix shade of colour orange, some richer some paler, so to avoid any argument they now only use white balls for official tournement.
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 2:30am
Ah I see. That's a very good point! Thanks!

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 2:54am
I hate orange... You can't "see" as much detail in the orange ball as you can with the white. Makes playing pips players more difficult.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

The original theory was that the orange ball would compensate for white or lightly coloured backgrounds. This was worse with the 38mm ball as it had a flatter flight, thus the background wall was more in view.
These days we are more looking down at the table as the 40mm does not 'fly' as much. It doesn't matter about the surrounding walls. We all adjust to the light, wall colour etc and focus on the ball with table and floor in the background. If you see what I mean.
I think that's the reason.

Edited by Tinykin - 02/16/2013 at 11:58am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 11:03am
At our small (6 tables) club, it's about 98% orange.

Science says that white is the most obvious to see. But with fluorescent lighting or harsh lighting, I seem to see the orange better....but YELLOW should be the ball color, fluorescent yellow at that. Yellow is the easiest color (meaning non-white) for the eye to pick up.

Probably why TENNIS uses the yellow balls.

I bet if someone went to Sharara and told him that YELLOW balls are the easiest to see on TV, we'd get Yellow approved balls!

Edited by j-bo - 02/18/2013 at 11:05am
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 11:24am
Just last evening my hitting partner and myself consciously compared, switching between new white balls and new orange.  We both agreed that the yellow seemed easier to follow, but the white with greater contrast between printed logo and white ball was easier to accurately determine spin.
[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

BH Vega Europe/ Fastarc S1
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 11:25am
[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 11:26am
Sorry about double postings here...  I mis-typed.  We used orange vs white;  there was no yellow.
[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 12:05pm
Personally, I prefer the way white plays in almost any brand, but I can see orange better most places.  I tell people if you CAN use white, you should.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 12:20pm

Not sure if this true or not. But if I had to guess - I would think there might be an extra process involved in adding the colour, so it may affect the durability of the ball. But this is again just a guess on my part.

I find White to be more visible at our club - the lighting is kind of low, also the floor is wood - find if the ball leaves the table and is on top of the wood - white has better contrast than orange over the wood floor.
Butterfly MPS
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 3:27pm

Edited by Rich215 - 02/18/2013 at 3:30pm
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 2:12am

From my experience, I found the DHS 3 star white balls last longer than the DHS 3 star orange balls
This ain't no rumour LOL

Edited by Snakefish - 02/19/2013 at 2:13am
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 2:15am
Somebody once showed me a printout of a (Japanese?) study showing that average reaction times were fractionally quicker (by about 2 ms if memory serves) when an orange or yellow ball was used compared to a white ball.
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 5:52am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

I hate orange... You can't "see" as much detail in the orange ball as you can with the white. Makes playing pips players more difficult.

+1
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 4:21pm
The EJ in me wants to try the yellow ball
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 6:00pm
come to think of it..i've never played with a yellow one

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 6:46pm
Typical orange floor color found at many U.S. tournament venues.  If you use orange ball you can't see it well once it's away from the table.  For a chopper like me it's just horrendous.  (Try to find the ball these two players are hitting...Wink)  If you use white ball the glare on the floor will make it disappear as well.  Hot pink or neon green balls will be much better for venues like this.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2013 at 11:54pm
 I would love to see a vivid pink or ravishing red. Agree orange balls get lost when the venue has yellowish floors. Why just limit the current balls to just two colors...food for thought.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 9:32am
Fluorescent PINK would be interesting to try out.

Here's a pink TT ball:

Edited by j-bo - 02/20/2013 at 9:38am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 12:39pm
Pink Ballz......that's so............Censored     jk.  

Actually I would like to dye a few white balls with a dayglo green sort of like a regular tennis ball color. 

roundrobin........in that picture above you posted.....no way should they of used that orange ball with the floor and especially the wood bleachers on one end.  Should of used a white ball for sure there.  I played in a school gym with wood floor and dark wood bleachers at one end like that....could barely see the orange ball.  But the problem was the opposite wall was a larger volleyball curtain an it was off white.  
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Rich, 
Can you replace the table top with the floor from Roundrobin photo? I just want to see how the yellow will look over the floor (I believe you are a photoshop expert right if not another photoshop expert could do that would be great!)

Butterfly MPS
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 1:30pm
jsr......the yellow ball is not photo-shopped.  I took a highlighter pen to it  haaa.   The color faded to a dull gold color after a day or two.  But I would imagine the yellow ball would still have the same problem with wood floors as the orange balls.   It all depends on what shade the wood is. 

Actually part of the reason I posted that pic was also a sarcastic rhetorical taunt at those who call orange ....yellow.  I for some reason find it odd when people whom are not color blind call something that is orange--- yellow.            SLIGHT DERAIL AND RANT OFF................> 

I do think a sort of chartreuse green tennis ball color would work well in many venues though. 

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 3:14pm
Good job with the highlighter - I thought there was version that was yellow! Actually, I think remember seeing sportcraft with various colour balls - but the package of 6 was something like $8 - didn't feel like spending money on balls - I would never use.
Butterfly MPS
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2013 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Pink Ballz......that's so............Censored     jk.  

Actually I would like to dye a few white balls with a dayglo green sort of like a regular tennis ball color. 

roundrobin........in that picture above you posted.....no way should they of used that orange ball with the floor and especially the wood bleachers on one end.  Should of used a white ball for sure there.  I played in a school gym with wood floor and dark wood bleachers at one end like that....could barely see the orange ball.  But the problem was the opposite wall was a larger volleyball curtain an it was off white.  

I can't even see the ball.. haha

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic