Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russian TT Championships 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russian TT Championships 2013
    Posted: 02/28/2013 at 11:44am
Some videos from the first stage of Russian Table Tennis Champs 2013 (team stage)

MT Final (Moscow - Orenburg)

Alexey Smirnov - Kirill Skachkov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lgfGa8P6Wk

Alexey Liventsov - Denis Gavrilov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YZG1uRJGQ
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 1:49pm
Skachkov, Smirnov or Shibaev?

Is Shibaev still injured?  Hope he can get past the injury bug but doubtful...
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Skachkov, Smirnov or Shibaev?

Is Shibaev still injured?  Hope he can get past the injury bug but doubtful...

Shibaev is already playing! He played for his regional team and won 5 out of six matches - he only lost 2-3 to Skachkov. However, he decided not to play singles, only doubles. Presumably he is not 100% yet - after all his knee surgery was done in Oct-Nov and he had just finished his recovery (perhaps not fully).

I am not sure if he would be selected for WTTC in Paris despite all this... I am sure he will be at his best by May, but coaches will decide, I guess.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 3:53pm
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Skachkov the player that beat one of the top chinese players last year?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Skachkov the player that beat one of the top chinese players last year?

Yes, he was.  I think Shibaev has the higher ceiling though.
Cybershape Carbon
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 9:19pm
Two more matches from the final

Vassily Lakeev - Evgeny Regentov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bof30wL2swc

Alexey Liventsov - Kirill Skachkov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4wl5jSTkzA

From one of the team semifinals

A.Stetsenko (St.Petersburg) - A.Smirnov (Moscow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUUBA97dA5A

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 9:20pm

Alexey Liventsov (who played on Moscow team) also beat Ma Lin - in front of the home crowd at China Open.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 9:30am

Unfortunately, it seems that Shibaev will not be able to qualify or play at WTTC. After his knee surgery and recovery his knee seems to be fine but when he got back to the serious training he somehow injured his groin muscles and the problem doesn't go away. Even when he could play through the pain, it persists for several hours after every match. His doctors were not able to make a good working diagnosis yet.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems that Shibaev will not be able to qualify or play at WTTC. After his knee surgery and recovery his knee seems to be fine but when he got back to the serious training he somehow injured his groin muscles and the problem doesn't go away. Even when he could play through the pain, it persists for several hours after every match. His doctors were not able to make a good working diagnosis yet.

Like I said, he has the injury bug... the injury bug is not a specific injury, but a predilection of an individual for injuries...
Cybershape Carbon
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 10:59am
the Russian I saw that beat the top Chinese player was attacking just about everything with his BH. He was making some incredible shots with his BH. Sometimes he would loop his BH down the line and sometimes he would go cross court. He was attacking his opponent's serves with incredible BH flips down the line and crosscourt. It was really amazing, and I think it was Skachkov.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 3:28pm

the Russian I saw that beat the top Chinese player was attacking just about everything with his BH. He was making some incredible shots with his BH. Sometimes he would loop his BH down the line and sometimes he would go cross court. He was attacking his opponent's serves with incredible BH flips down the line and crosscourt. It was really amazing, and I think it was Skachkov.

Could have been this match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqthirMqO44

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 3:48pm

Like I said, he has the injury bug... the injury bug is not a specific injury, but a predilection of an individual for injuries...

It turns out that Shibaev has also defaulted from the mixed doubles - at the beginning he knew he wasn't going to play singles but hoped to play the doubles. However, he stated that the pain is so bad (after the team matches), he cannot play doubles as well.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 4:30pm
that was the match Jim. What an incredible BH inside loop down the line. His serves were causing problems for Ma Lin and when he received a weak return he unloaded with that vicious BH. He pretty much won that match winning most of the points with his BH.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2013 at 11:40am
Men Singles final

Vyacheslav (Slava) Burov - Denis Gavrilov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnNES9sEB38

These two guys are way less known internationally than Skachkov, Shibaev, Smirnov, Liventsov and some others. They are both at the level of #150-200 WR, and Burov has already won Russian Champs in 2011. Denis Gavrilov is well known in Russian Superleague and has won some very tough matches against top European players. He beat Liventsov, and Skachkov in the semifinal, while Burov defeated Alexey Smirnov in QF and Grigory Vlasov in semis.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2013 at 12:32pm
good match. Really like the lefty. These guys look like they can play better than #150 - 200. BTW...what does the winner receive for 1st place? Curious how much money you can win for the Russian championships.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2013 at 3:40pm

good match. Really like the lefty. These guys look like they can play better than #150 - 200. BTW...what does the winner receive for 1st place? Curious how much money you can win for the Russian championships.

Exactly 0 dollars (or rubles). That's how much you get for winning National Championship in Russia. Kinda puts it into perspective for the guys who boycotted Nationals in 2009 Wink

P.S. Lefty is Denis Gavrilov (the guy who took the second place; the tall lanky fellow is Burov). For some reason Denis NEVER (I might be wrong here but not by much) went to ANY international tournaments outside Russia. Burov went to several but never could get past Qual.round or 1st round of a ProTour event. He was always almost there - like losing to a much more internationally known player 9-11 in the 7th (happened a few times) - but always not quite. I am not sure why - he is quite tough mentally and has played a lot of good European and Chinese players in Russian Superleague. It happens...

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2013 at 4:27pm
Thanks Jim, and thanks for posting. We have about 5 Russian players at my club. The best of them is about 2200 and is a graduate student from Moscow. He is also a lefty.

Watching these guys play I would say either of them, especially Burov could beat Thomas Keinath or Kamal, both of whom were ranked in the TOP 50 at one time or another. Overall though I would have to say Burov looks to be the better of the two. It's hard to believe there isn't any money. Do they get any perks from winning?
Pingvinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingvinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2013 at 4:45pm

Exactly 0 dollars (or rubles). That's how much you get for winning National Championship in Russia. Kinda puts it into perspective for the guys who boycotted Nationals in 2009 Wink

Isn't this is the common standard for most "not super rich" sports like TT? You get your wage from some sort of league play and/or world tour system, and personal ads if you have a marketable name, but these kinds of closed national championships are normally contested for honour and fame of carrying the title, and maybe a symbolic sum. No?

In some cases the national championship is the league play where you got most of your wages. But in TT, a national championship will take up one week of your TT calendar, and you use the other 51 weeks to earn your living.

Edited by Pingvinis - 03/04/2013 at 5:04pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2013 at 9:46pm

Thanks Jim, and thanks for posting. We have about 5 Russian players at my club. The best of them is about 2200 and is a graduate student from Moscow. He is also a lefty.

Watching these guys play I would say either of them, especially Burov could beat Thomas Keinath or Kamal, both of whom were ranked in the TOP 50 at one time or another. Overall though I would have to say Burov looks to be the better of the two. It's hard to believe there isn't any money. Do they get any perks from winning?

I am not sure Burov would be able to beat Keinath or Achanta - but certainly he would have a good chance with them.

The only perks you get from winning National Championship is to get on the National team and go to Paris. However, the coaches' decision might override even that formal rule - they will take you to WTTC but you will not get to play singles, only doubles. That is exactly what happened to Burov in 2011 (in Rotterdam) after he won his first National title.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2013 at 11:05am
Full HD videos of singles finals

MS
Vyacheslav Burov (St.Petersburg) - Denis Gavrilov (Orenburg)
LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FL8cQ7btMo

WS
Polina Mikhailova (St.Petersburg) - Antonina Savelieva (Kazan)
LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibTb_o0vOIA

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2013 at 11:47am
Also a very good semifinal between Burov and Grigory Vlasov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5nX9RW8R0

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2013 at 10:48am
Men Doubles final

Kirill Skachkov + Alexey Smirnov vs Fedor Kuzmin + Denis Gavrilov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=wCs5bQl2Dbw

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2013 at 8:32pm
By the way - here is the final of Russian Club Championship

UMMC vs Fakel Gazproma (Orenburg) - same teams as in the final of ECL 2013.

Smirnov vs Tan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXabR1FeTQ

Ovtcharov vs Hou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzBiIty6BI

Samsonov vs Shibaev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk3iDepoeBs

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2013 at 2:23pm
And two more

Smirnov vs Shibaev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zOM1_1Wj1E

Smirnov/Samsonov vs Shibaev/Tan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uOruONSiQ

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 2:13am
I've been watching various videos from the Russian Championships (focused on Samsonov, one of my absolute favorite players).  I just wanted to say that these are probably the best videos I have ever seen of any professional event.

The cameras are close enough and low enough that you get a real sense of the play as if you are there.  There are multiple cameras and the switching between them is seamless and really gives the viewer good perspectives from different angles.  The HD quality is excellent. 

Truly, I wish every tournament could be this good, especially the world championships.  I think the Russians are the world champions of quality table tennis video.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 6:57am
I don't think it is as munching about video quality as it is about whether sponsors are happy with your choice of camera angles given where they have advertised. Ky impression is that the matches are taped by someone unaffiliated with the official league, or at least, someone not subject to the desires of advertisers.
Cybershape Carbon
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 4:02pm
I've never thought of it in terms of displaying the sponsor's ads.  But I don't see how the usual videos help the sponsors. Most of the time the videos are too high and too far away, making the play look small.  On most such videos, I don't see the play well and there is no great benefit to the sponsor in terms of visibility. Besides, if you're a sponsor, wouldn't you want a good video so that people will flock to see it?

I think the ETTU did some really nice videos last year, but most of the time, you just don't get a real sense of the action. 

If the Russian videos are produced independently, I must congratulate them.  There are at least three angle cameras and the editing to the final video is nicely done.  I'm almost tempted to say that watching these is better than being there.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 6:10pm

I don't think it is as munching about video quality as it is about whether sponsors are happy with your choice of camera angles given where they have advertised. Ky impression is that the matches are taped by someone unaffiliated with the official league, or at least, someone not subject to the desires of advertisers.

That is absolutely correct. That YouTube account belongs to a local (Moscow) table tennis amateur Alexey Patrogin who is in no way officially affiliated with Russian TT federation nor with other formal commercial or sport authorities. He simply obtained a media pass which allowed him to videotape the matches, installed his cameras (he got more than one this time!) and proceeded to make some great videos.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

If the Russian videos are produced independently, I must congratulate them.  There are at least three angle cameras and the editing to the final video is nicely done.  I'm almost tempted to say that watching these is better than being there.

I can relay your kind words to Alexey - I am sure he will be thrilled to learn that his videos are appreciated.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2013 at 9:02pm
More than that -- I think that ITTF should hire him to do their videos!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic