Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Vega Japan Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:21am
Andy,
I'm going back and forth between getting OVA 2.0mm or VJ in Max. Have you you found OVA faster overall than VJ? Also, what sponge thickness are you using in OVA?

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:34am
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

Andy,
I'm going back and forth between getting OVA 2.0mm or VJ in Max. Have you you found OVA faster overall than VJ? Also, what sponge thickness are you using in OVA?

I'm using OVA in 2.0mm, which is more than enough for me (the sponge is quite hard, so I doubt that MAX would help much apart from on massive swings).  It's less bouncy than VJ in the low gears but faster at the top end.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:50am
Thanks, Andy! Great info. Now if I could only hear from someone that forehand chops! VJ in 2.0mm is surprisingly good at this.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:55am

Thanks, Andy! Great info. Now if I could only hear from someone that forehand chops! VJ in 2.0mm is surprisingly good at this.

Ah, yes.  I cannot help with that, beyond that OVA has a generally lower arc.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 8:57pm
Andy, is it lower than sigma 2 pro ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2015 at 2:57am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Andy,

I'm using OVA in 2.0mm, which is more than enough for me (the sponge is quite hard, so I doubt that MAX would help much apart from on massive swings).  It's less bouncy than VJ in the low gears but faster at the top end.

OVA has really a lot of gears. Unfortunately too hard for me but when I will switch to plastic balls this might change.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2015 at 5:51am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Andy, is it lower than sigma 2 pro ?

I haven't used S2P for ages, and never with the plastic ball so it's really hard to say for sure.

I'll say no, not lower than S2P.  The only thing worth mentioning about the throw is that OVA gets slightly lower on hard hits if you don't maintain a good brushing ball contact, which I think is a pretty standard hard sponge/soft topsheet kind of feature.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 9:20pm
So who all is still using Vega Japan after moving to the plastic ball? I think it works really well with the XSF ball I've been playing with for the past month or so. I hate that I am constantly thinking about trying other rubbers when I like VJ so much, but part of me always thinks there's something better out there.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 9:20am
Simple... You may want to try and see what is better for your game.
I was never able to play delicate shots well with the XVJ, as a lumber jack's rubber it is very good. It is too heavy for me, too.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 10:15am
Vega japan lets you chop like sigma2pro .
I sold my sheet due to sigma being perfect for my bh. Sigma is noticably harder as well as a harder topsheet.
Sigma is faster.
I have used em both with plastic ball.
Vega japan is much better than rest of vegas. In terms of quality. Some t05 users found it as a replacement and so on.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 11:18am
I have been using Vega Japan now for a few months.  It is the only rubber I felt comfortable with moving away from my beloved Rakza 7 soft and reg. 

Vega Japan is not the same as the other variants of Vega, it is actually a newer design and formulation from the original Vega series. 

I find V Japan to be the best modern all around ESN choice.  Its like a current era Mark V on steroids so to speak.  At first I was not that impressed with it why testing a a couple blades.  Then after trying OV P and OV E,  I found I liked the V Japan much better.  On key thing I liked was the lower medium throw angle compared to other rubbers like the OV series. The throw angle is lower than the Rakza soft and slightly higher than Rakza regular.  It should be as the sponge I believe is 45 degrees? 

I can get more spin from the VJ than from Rakza on most shots in comparison.  I will say it is blade dependent on feel though.  Some of my more flexible (or not too stiff) carbon type blades made for a spinny monster to control.....mainly the Adidas Avenger Carbon.  Put it on my Nexy Spartacus and fell in love with a good lighter balance (80gm blade) and perfect touch and control.  The Japan did not feel as controllable on my Juic SB Alpha blade (88gm), but with that extra weight it did not feel as well balanced of a setup to me.  My service receive and other short or softer shots closer to the net and mid table were so much better using a lighter less stiff blade. 

I felt the OV E was too soft or mushy feeling on loops in comparison.  I also did not like the higher throw angle of the OV E.   Some might feel the OV E or P throw angle to be perfect pending on what other rubbers they are coming from.....say T05 or the sorts. 

Vega Japan is probably the best bang for your buck now a days I feel.  Hope they keep making it...I'm stocking up. 
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 11:22am
Also,  yes some of the Xiom rubbers should be played with many times before they break in and even out.  (airing out the tuner.....or just general softening of the sponge after use). 

So your opinion of a rubber may also depend on when you use it....new or broken in can make a big difference in what you feel and how it plays after using it and breaking it it some. 
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 11:29am
Rich, how does VJ play like after it is broken in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 11:47am
I feel like VJ gets more consistent and controlled as it breaks in. It's probably the booster wearing off, but I much prefer VJ broken in compared to freshly glued. I've been using VJ for over 2 years now and every sheet has lasted me close to 6 months playing a couple days a week. It really is like a modern version of a classic rubber in that all types of shots are possible depending on the blade you use. On my defensive Victas Matsushita blade, I can chop with great control as well as loop and attack effectively.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2015 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Machine Head.......just as ckhirngs stated.   As the sponge relaxes and settles from use/re-gluings, the control and spin get much better.   At first the new sheets play and feel slightly stiff and dull.  As soon as the rubber goes through that initial use it becomes much more playable. 

Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Machine Head.......just as ckhirngs stated.   As the sponge relaxes and settles from use/re-gluings, the control and spin get much better.   At first the new sheets play and feel slightly stiff and dull.  As soon as the rubber goes through that initial use it becomes much more playable. 

I got a black sheet of VJ  max about 2 weeks ago. I loved it the moment I had it glued to my blades. It worked well both with Vega Pro (blade) and Nexy Oscar. Control is awesome! The Oscar being a powerful blade, with VJ I got this I-can't-miss kind of feel. I was able to land my shots even when I am out of position.

One thing though, coming from Omege V Pro and Sigma 2 Pro, I find that spin a tiny bit less than those 2 rubbers. And there are times when my brush is too thin, the ball seemed to slip which doesn't happen with the other two.

Do you also experience the same thing?
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 3:01am
Yes, the Omega V series had the best spin and throws higher, from the two I tried (Tour and Europe).

With plastic, you can still experience slippage in very thin contacts with the VJ, but not with the Omega.

The VJ doesn't need breaking in our regluing, it's simply the booster wearing off after some time. I guess Rich prefers when it's a little slower. The spin stays but the speed decreases as well as the bounciness.

To make a Tenergy analogy, the VJ is in the T64 family, medium throw, bouncy, fast and medium hardness. The Omega I tried were more T05: harder, higher spin, high throw, less bouncy but more powerful.

For my own preference, this makes VJ better for BH and Omega for FH.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/2015 at 5:38am
Last night my ova slipped with the xsf poly ball. Two or three times over the course of an hour. Sigma 2 pro slipped once.
The humidity due to the heated swimming pool really affects the non tacky rubbers. These two are no exception.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2015 at 4:55pm
Has anybody given VJ 1.8mm a try? I wonder if the sponge is firm enough to prevent bottoming out in this thickness. I chop a lot on the forehand, and I currently use 2.0mm. I'm just wondering if I'd be giving up too much offensive capability. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 12:55am
Resurrecting an old thread.... I’m interested to know if people have stuck with Vega Japan. I still use it but went from 2.0mm to max. I play a modern defensive style game, so I wanted the added offensive ability of the thicker sponge. I haven’t noticed any control issues in my forehand chop using the max sponge.

Has anyone switched from Vega Japan and found something they felt to be better in every way? I know VJ is considered an old generation rubber at this point. I have used it for many years now. To be honest, I’m so used to it that there’s probably no benefit in changing. I’m still curious what former VJ users have “upgraded” to.

Edited by ckhirnigs113 - 12/02/2017 at 12:55am
Danny1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2017 at 4:11am
I changed my Vega Japan rubbers after 3 years. Since one year i play with Donic Acuda blue P2 2.0 and 1.8, just like i did with VJ. I really liked the Xiom rubbers because they are so complete. Good in every aspect. Last year i got some issues in the summer with the polyballs. I couldn't play with the same amounth of topspin. after reading positve reviewa about my new adonic choice, i'm more happy with these rubbers. A bit softer feeling, but the control is better. Also play topspin is more effective. Overall a good step forwards for me.
Xiom Azx icecream
FH Xiom Omega 7 pro max
BH Xiom Omega 7 pro max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 11:12pm
I hit one of the Acuda Blue series. I couldn’t believe how soft it felt. I did notice the increase in grip though. I think that’s the main thing these new rubbers marketed for the new poly balls have going for them. My main test is forehand chopping ability on a new rubber. Not many rubbers can effectively chop and loop. VJ has been able to balance those two needs of mine. I suppose I’ll keep using it unless Xiom tempts me with something like Omega Japan.
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 1:08pm
Mm, I could get onboard for an Omega Japan
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 5:44pm
I have Vega Japan on the BH on one of my blades and on another as a FH. It is really fast with a good control, medium to high throw, great smash, reasonable block, easy topspins, very light, very grippy rubber.....these are the qualities I like.
I managed to ruin it's sponge once, so beware it is fragile. It isn't a spin monster, but I haven't seen spin monsters since the new ball.
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I have Vega Japan on the BH on one of my blades and on another as a FH. It is really fast with a good control, medium to high throw, great smash, reasonable block, easy topspins, very light, very grippy rubber.....these are the qualities I like.
I managed to ruin it's sponge once, so beware it is fragile. It isn't a spin monster, but I haven't seen spin monsters since the new ball.

Wow, Vega Japan is not a light rubber! 
At least ~ two years ago it was a heavy one, maybe something happened to it Wink... (I had a couple red ones, 2.0 and max) Also, the sponge was definitely not fragile, and the topsheet was medium grippy (depending on air temperature), not very grippy. 
Clearly, nowadays they changed the composition.

EDIT: Make it ~ 4 years ago. Oh, boy...

Edited by JacekGM - 12/05/2017 at 8:40pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 7:10am
I am a long time T64 user and didnt have difficulty switching to VJ. It doesn't have the spin of the 64 but it's close. The rest is similar.....and yes when I tried to clean the sponge I realised I shouldn't have done it. Completely ruined a brand new rubber. Comparing this one to the recent offerings I find the rubber light. Maybe a tad lighter than my T64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2017 at 8:48pm
Kolev, may I ask why you switched from T64 to VJ? I have always had a nagging desire to try T64 for my modern defensive game. I’ve used VJ for 4 years now, and the price difference alone has kept me from auditioning T64.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 7:53pm
I haven't given up the t64.Since it is so expensive I am using it as a fh on my competition blade. The rest of the time I play with the vj, or boosted tg3 neo, or rakza x. All on the 4 identical blades I use.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2017 at 8:00pm
Btw, for a modern defender T64 is not to miss

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2017 at 5:13pm
Kolev, are you a modern defender? If so, what blade are you using? I’m interested in a comparison between T64 and VJ when it comes to forehand chopping.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic