Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Vega Japan Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XIOM Vega Japan Review
    Posted: 03/02/2013 at 12:25pm
OK, here it is finally! The Xiom Vega Japan review!!

Vega Rubbers: I have played (and still own) Vega Pro (Max) and Vega China (Max), so I will try to make comparison with the Vega Pro as I can.

I played Vega Japan in 2.0 on my BH.

Hardness: Sponge seems to be about the same as Vega Pro (around 47), but the topsheet is definitely softer and more elastic.

Weight: Uncut, around 70g, according to my memory (which is questionable LOL)

Sound & Feel: The rubber feels softer than Vega Pro due to the softer topsheet, and the rubber has one of the nicest clicking sounds I've ever heard. Also, the rubber is super-tight, tensioned like crazy, more than Tenergy and Bluefire in my opinion. This provides a very lively bounce and incredible friction for brushing-shots. However, it doesn't feel that uncontrollable even with this tension, because the topsheet really grabs the ball and directs it with confidence.

Throw Angle: 
Higher than Vega Pro, though not stupidly high like Baracuda or Tenergy. I think it's a proper throw angle, giving versatility to different strokes. Meaning, it's low enough to handle passive blocking and short game, but gives ripping loops.

Speed: 
Fast! The outright speed is about as quick as Vega Pro, but the topspinning/looping speed is higher, imo. This is not a rubber for beginners, even in 2.0mm.

Topspin: I thoroughly enjoyed this. I think the gift of Vega Japan is its increased control, as you can rip loops comparable to the greatest tensors (Bluefire, EVO, Tenergy, etc.) but still maintain high control. I think the Vega Japan's specialty is looping for sure. I was very confident during my FH looping drills and did not have to struggle to adapt to the rubber, and it gave a very consistent arc. Also, I found it to be more forgiving doing loops that were not hit correctly than with Bluefire/Tenergy.....Also, since I used 2.0, this will give me more control naturally, so others might find it much different in Max. I bet it's a BEAST in Max!!

Blocking & Short Game:
Ok, so the new ESN rubbers seem to be moving towards a better short game and touch than the previous generations, as exemplified with Bluefire and the new "Top Secret rubber I'm testing for Adidas (I havne't played Tibhar EVO, but I imagine they're trying to do it too LOL). Vega Japan is no exception in this. However, I did not find it as unreactive to spin as Bluefire in the short game, but the control is still there. I just used the extra sensitivity to do some super-fast and low, spinny pushes. However, I am confident that if I used this rubber regularly, I could capture all of it's short-game abilities in little time. Basically, if I wrote this review a month from now, I'd tell you that the spin-sensitivity is not an issue because it can be mastered. Also, it is the "nature of the beast" that grippy rubbers have some reactivity to spin, though still less than the Chinese Wink.

FH: I played mostly BH with it because I use Chinese rubbers on my FH (currently Juic 999 Turbo in Max). I did some twiddling during my games too, to try the Vega Japan in a "match setting." I was able to make the rubber click harder on the FH and the control was still great, but the BH is where I like to keep my Euro rubbers Smile.

Overall: Vega Japan is definitely "The Ultimatum of the Vega Series," as Xiom put it. It is from the same family as the other Vegas, but it's definitely a different animal. Do not expect this to be like a Vega Pro enhanced, it is not the same. The topsheet is truly what sets it apart. This rubber will be for the extreme offensive-minded player (basically, odd-balled spinfreaks like me LOL). In 2.0mm, the high rated player will probably like this on their BH, and really enjoy the extra speed/spin from a Max thickness on their FH.  Finally: IF YOU LOVED THE VEGA SERIES, BUT THOUGHT IT WAS GETTING OUT-SHINED BY OTHER TENSORS, PERHAPS IT'S TIME TO TRY IT AGAIN WITH VEGA JAPAN Wink

Many thanks to the forum and to tabletennis11. All you guys rock! Play on!

Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2013 at 1:43pm
Brilliant, looking forward to your review.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2013 at 3:33pm
Me too!
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
Enter_Thrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enter_Thrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2013 at 12:16pm
Have you had enough time to test it? What does it play like? 

Edited by Enter_Thrice - 03/13/2013 at 12:17pm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 9:49pm
well....?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 9:55pm
From what I have found so far, it looks like Vega Japan is like Vega Europe up-tuned a bit. Is this so? If it is, I am very interested. What is it's sensitivity to incoming spin on serve receives? Any other info is very much welcome, please.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 12:51am
Sorry guys, I was able to put it on my blade for 2 hours before I had to take it off, because I had to play in the NCTTA Regionals, and then I had SPring Break. So I'm just now getting back to it this week, I will put it back on a blade and will write an in-depth review soon.

So far, here's what I can say. The rubber feels softer than the other Vega rubbers I've played with, which are Vega China and Vega Pro. However, I believe it is a softer, more elastic topsheet that makes it feel that way. THe actual sponge does not appear to be much softer than the Vega Pro, but the topsheet definitely is (the topsheet kinda reminded me of Baracuda with its high elasticity, though the rubber plays different than Baracuda). Keep in mind that I am only using 2.0mm, but even with that the rubber is very nice. It definitely produces one of the best "clicking" sounds I've heard from any tensor. I can also say that it would be a great companion on the backhand, as that is where I liked it best, since I use Chinese rubber on the FH currently.

MORE TO COME LATER.  I won't leave y'all hanging Wink

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 6:58pm
Anyone willing to compare Vega Japan with Vega Europe, please?
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 10:23pm

First, I think they should have called it Vega 2 or Delta or something besides Vega Japan. It is much better than the other Vega rubbers. I think it is hands down the best $47 rubber available in the US. 

It is firmer and plays short better than the Europe. The response is more predictable and linear. When you hit hard it is faster than Vega Europe. I am using it on the Aegis blade and it works great for chop, loop, block and smash. I have great control for chop, and block, but when the ball is up, I can put it away very easily. 

Really, I can't think of any area that Vega Japan is poor.   

Our top junior changed from the $80 rubber to this a couple months ago and his level has not dropped at all. 2 weeks ago he won the U2400 in Sacramento and last month he beat a 2600 player to win our monthly tournament. 

As I mentioned before, our kid's are sponsored by Xiom, so you might say I am biased. However, we did have offers from elsewhere. Xiom was the only product we evaluated that would enable our our kids to compete at the highest level. 

Their product really is very good. Especially the latest arrivals. 

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2013 at 3:49am
how is the weight compared to other Vega? E.g. Euro or eilte? Thanks :)
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2013 at 12:53pm
Alphapong- Thank you! Much appreciate it. So, the Europe works well for me, except of in the fast smashes area, where I have not yet learned to do it properly. Would Vega Japan be better in this, without losing the nice looping bite?
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2013 at 1:03pm
Hi 128YingYang,

I am new in this forum.

I saw your post about the Xiom Vega Japan, I am waiting for an order which includes this rubber and a Yasaka Rakza 7.

Have you got some more updates?

Thanks
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2013 at 3:24pm
I played with it again this week for about an hour, but mostly just training. I'll put it to a proper test tonight with games for 3 hours and probably finalize my review after that. As of right now, just to let everyone know, I am reviewing it as a BH rubber in 2.0mm (I have hit with it on the FH, but that's not where i would play it, since my FH seems to like Chinese rubbers more LOL ).

stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 1:14am
I was looking for this Vega japan version on the official XiomTT website but could not find it.

Grateful if anyone could share thoughts on that.

Cheers
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 3:07am
Originally posted by stanton65 stanton65 wrote:

I was looking for this Vega japan version on the official XiomTT website but could not find it.

Grateful if anyone could share thoughts on that.

Cheers

It's quite new, and has not been added to the site yet... and neither have a few of the other latest rubbers.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

how is the weight compared to other Vega? E.g. Euro or eilte? Thanks :)

I'm very interested in the weight also.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 10:25am
The weighed it before I cut it, and I seem to remember it was around 70g. Doesn't seem that much lighter/heavier than other ESN rubbers.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 11:07am
vega europe was a mushy rubber in the first place and its nothing like asia or pro-
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 11:23am
Updated first post. The review is done!! Any questions, I will answer as best I can Smile

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 11:39am
Great review, I bet you would like Xiom Tau on the forehand. I just glued mine on and will try it on Monday.

Regarding Vega Japan; I'm still trying to get an idea for its hardness. I've never used Vega Pro. I have used Rakza 7 soft, Bluefire M2, and am currently using M3 on the backhand. If you have used one of these rubbers, how does the hardness feel during play in comparison?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by 128YinYang 128YinYang wrote:

Updated first post. The review is done!! Any questions, I will answer as best I can Smile

Thanks, good review. How does the vega japan behave for spinny serves?
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 11:48am
Thanks for the complete review of this rubber which may be the first one to my  knowledge.

I cannot wait to put it on my Ross Leidy Sotto Voce(in the post actually) and paired with the Rakza 7 soft.

CheersSmile

Edited by stanton65 - 03/31/2013 at 11:50am
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
Enter_Thrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enter_Thrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 1:26pm
What´s the uncut (or cut) weight of a Vega Japan? I´d really like to try in case it isn´t heavier than than a Tenergy 05.

Edited by Enter_Thrice - 03/31/2013 at 1:26pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 5:28pm

The weighed it before I cut it, and I seem to remember it was around 70g. Doesn't seem that much lighter/heavier than other ESN rubbers.

70 grams uncut?  That's really heavy.  Bummer....Ouch
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

I tried out max version, don't have the weight scale but keep in mind rubber is not square shape as it is. I will have more feedback later on, but combo of vega japan + sriver el + reygundo cpen seems too heavy for me. 
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
Vector Operator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vector Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 11:04pm
I have Bluefire M3 on my Zetro Quad and Vega Japan on my Xiom Strato.
Vega Japan is soft-medium hardness good speed 7/10 and good control. 
Bluefire M3 is harder, faster and has more spin. I like them both.

Innershield ZLF - CP
BlueStorm Z1-Turbo FH
BlueStorm Z1-Turbo BH
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 11:19pm
Harder and faster? Are you sure? M3 is very soft and 128yinyang said that Vega Japan has a similar sponge hardness to Vega Pro with a softer topsheet. I've never used Vega Pro but I'm quite sure that it's harder than M3.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2013 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by everest81 everest81 wrote:

Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

I tried out max version, don't have the weight scale but keep in mind rubber is not square shape as it is. I will have more feedback later on, but combo of vega japan + sriver el + reygundo cpen seems too heavy for me. 

My Sigma I Europe 2.0 was 60.8g uncut in that "Winfit" shape, and that equated to a 44.9 cut weight for a 157x150 blade face with about a 3 to 4 mm space between the top of the handle and the bottom of the rubber.  A 70g Winfit shape for Vega Japan would equate to about a 52.5g weight for the same size.  Way too heavy for me...

Edited by Brainstorm69 - 03/31/2013 at 11:53pm
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 1:41am

Vega Japan Black Max  Uncut - 66g

I weighed 6 sheets and came up with 66.41 +- .5 g.

The heaviest was within .9 grams of the lightest. That is VERY good Q.C. 

I remember having to weigh every sheet of Mark V for one of my players before, because we were routinely seeing fluctuations of 10+ grams between the light sheets and the heavy ones. 

BTW, I met with the Xiom U.S. manager and someone from product development on Saturday.

He had about 6 prototype blades that we tested and we chatted about some stuff coming down the pipeline.  He said Omega V is coming and it is very good. He also said about Vega Japan, that it was part of their higher end, high performance product line but they decided to release it as part of the Vega series so they could sell it at a lower price point and target a different part of the market. 

This would be why it seems so different from the other Vegas.

I think if I was going to sum up Vega Japan in one line it would be this, "High performance that's easy to use." 

So there I was with my notepad, pen and someone straight from product development in Korea. - SCORE!

I finally gathered enough technical information to be able to make sense of the Xiom rubbers - NOT!

Sorry, it was a big fail. I don't know if he was being evasive to protect production secrets or if he simply could not give me the info I was after. I tried to get him to compare and contrast Vega, Omega, and Sigma but  his standard reply was "The composition is different" For example he said the topsheet structure of Vega Pro and Omega Pro was identical but the "composition was different". 

I was hoping for some insight into which topsheets, had more natural rubber and which one had more synthetic and what kind of pip structures etc. Didn't happen. 

The only concrete data I got was the following sponge hardnesses for most of there rubbers:

Elite - 40, Europe 42.5, Asia and Pro 47.5. * 

* edit 4/11/13 - Received an email today with a table of sponge harness. These hardness are for Vega and Omega IV.

He said he would email me some more info. 

At the end of our meeting, as a service to table tennis players everywhere (especially all the ones in our club wearing basketball shorts) , I asked him to please make some longer shorts.

I would agree with the hardness on the package from Xiom and call Vega Japan Medium. (Why the heck did I not ask for the numbers when I had the chance?! Angry)  

I have Omega IV Pro on my other identical blade and Omega IV is harder. But I would say Vega Japan is harder than Raksa 7 soft for sure. 

Edited by alphapong - 04/11/2013 at 3:11pm
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 4:51am
why are people so obsessed with light rubbers. as if anyone could really tell the 5 gram difference from a 170g and a 175g racket...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic