Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Vega Japan Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 7:59am
Wait until you are over 50 y.o. and have joint issues.  And yes, I can tell the difference past a certain weight.  It's like an inflection point for me.  Anything lighter is fine and I probably can't feel the difference in small weight changes - anything heavier is not fine, and after that point, I probably can't tell the difference in small weight changes.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
Sponsored Links

128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Regarding Vega Japan; I'm still trying to get an idea for its hardness. I've never used Vega Pro. I have used Rakza 7 soft, Bluefire M2, and am currently using M3 on the backhand. If you have used one of these rubbers, how does the hardness feel during play in comparison?

M3 is softer than Rakza 7 soft.  Vega Japan's sponge hardness is slightly harder than M2 imo, but feels softer overall due to the topsheet (at least it does in 2.0mm, since I have played neither in MAX)

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by 128YinYang 128YinYang wrote:

Updated first post. The review is done!! Any questions, I will answer as best I can Smile

Thanks, good review. How does the vega japan behave for spinny serves?

Serves are top-notch, very effective and easy to produce. Much easier to get heavy spin serves with control out of it than most tensors, imo...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Vector Operator Vector Operator wrote:

I have Bluefire M3 on my Zetro Quad and Vega Japan on my Xiom Strato.
Vega Japan is soft-medium hardness good speed 7/10 and good control. 
Bluefire M3 is harder, faster and has more spin. I like them both.

I have to disagree completely, I'm afraid. M3 is one of the softest tensors I've ever used. Vega Japan's sponge is almost 10 degrees harder, I'd say. However, it still feels softer than most due to its incredibly elastic topsheet. This creates a softer overall feel between the synthesis of sponge and topsheet, but the sponge hardness by itself somewhere between M2 and M1, imo.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:09pm
Ok let me see if I understand this correctly. The sponge hardness itself is between M2 and M1 but with the soft topsheet it feels like it's between M2 and M3.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

why are people so obsessed with light rubbers. as if anyone could really tell the 5 gram difference from a 170g and a 175g racket...

Serve 1000 balls in a day with heavy spin and you'll soon see the difference, 5 grams can be a big deal in wrist damage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:20pm

Ok let me see if I understand this correctly. The sponge hardness itself is between M2 and M1 but with the soft topsheet it feels like it's between M2 and M3.

You're on the right track. But the big difference is that while the feel overall might be around M2 or softer, the behavior and speed is much different than any of them. M3 feels soft and plays as such, but Vega Japan has an overall medium feel (somwhere near Baracuda/M2, imo), but plays with the intensity of a hard-sponged tensor like M1 or Vega Pro, while creating more spin than and higher throw than Vega Pro (spin similar to M1/T05, etc.), but much easier to generate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:25pm
Imagine the spin and feel of Baracuda, with the speed and linearity of M1, with a medium throw angle (little higher than Vega Pro), with the ease to generate power of a T05, and you're almost there! Wink

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:25pm
Wow, sounds really great. Now I just need to know how the durability lasts. I've heard bluefire has poor durability so I'm on the hunt for a new backhand rubber that can last me a while.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:28pm

Wow, sounds really great. Now I just need to know how the durability lasts. I've heard bluefire has poor durability so I'm on the hunt for a new backhand rubber that can last me a while.

Too early to say, but Xiom's rubbers definitely have a decent reputation for durability, so I expect it to be the same (perhaps even better, since it's newer).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:30pm
I think Bluefire's durability is great, it's just that the rubber kinda loses a lot of its sting after the tuner wears out after 2-3 months...That's the downside.

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 12:44pm

why are people so obsessed with light rubbers. as if anyone could really tell the 5 gram difference from a 170g and a 175g racket...

Exactly.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 1:41pm
Do we have any idea whether or not Vega Japan is factory tuned? I'm wondering if there is a tuning effect that is going to wear off after a few weeks. 
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
a1exander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1exander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 2:53pm
hard sponge and soft and elastic sheet. is it like tenergy 64?
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Exactly.
Five grams is a real difference for many people, believe it or not...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 12:38am
yeah sure. reminds me of "the princess and the pea" LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 12:41am
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

Do we have any idea whether or not Vega Japan is factory tuned? I'm wondering if there is a tuning effect that is going to wear off after a few weeks. 

Yea, I'm quite sure it's tuned since it has that "smell" Wink

Not much you can do about that, since pretty much EVERY new ESN rubber has it....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 12:44am
Originally posted by a1exander a1exander wrote:

hard sponge and soft and elastic sheet. is it like tenergy 64?

More linear than T64 imo. I suppose if I had to compare it to a Tenergy, T64 would be the closest match, but still quite different since Vega Japan's sponge is definitely harder than all of the Tenergies...

alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2013 at 12:43pm
The Xiom guy I spoke to last Saturday got back to me today regarding Vega Japan. The sponge is 45 degrees. Same as Europe. 
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

The Xiom guy I spoke to last Saturday got back to me today regarding Vega Japan. The sponge is 45 degrees. Same as Europe. 
... which of the Europes? I presume not the Vega...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
mrflick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrflick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 9:31am
 I used couple of Vega Europes and I know it's 42.5,it must be Omega I guess.btw I'm new to forum so hi to everyone.
Timo Boll Spirit ST
Vega Pro
F3 BigSlam
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 3:04pm
What ever the sponge hardness is for the Vega Japan.....it's starting to sound like the new Adidas "Top Secret/Tenzone Ultra"  rubber?    

Anyone try both yet?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

What ever the sponge hardness is for the Vega Japan.....it's starting to sound like the new Adidas "Top Secret/Tenzone Ultra"  rubber?    

Anyone try both yet?  

Yes, I have both. And they are like apples to....gorillas. They are absolutely nothing alike. As far as I know, most of the testers for the the TenZone Ultra agree that it is a step down from newer ESN rubbers in terms of everything (speed, spin, bounciness, grip, spin sensitivity, etc.). However, its main feature is that of its control and insensitivity to incoming spin. Basically, a few of us compared it to a lightly speed-glued Mark V. It has the control and sweet feel of an unglued classic rubber (Sriver, Mark V, Coppa, etc.) with more speed and spin. Basically, if you took a Mark V and ramped up all of its characteristics by 15% and still kept the control and feeling the same, you'd have Tenzone Ultra (IMO). This is why i am keeping it on my BH.

Put simply, Vega Japan is a very high-end rubber designed to rival the "latest and greatest" tensors/ESN rubbers (Bluefire, Evo, etc.) and it certainly delivers a top-notch performance. For the price of it on tabletennis11, it can't be beat (except by buying 2 Bluefires from Tibi, though I prefer Vega Japan).

As for reviews on Vega Japan, I have only heard little from other members who have posted a few brief comments in this thread, so there is not a lot of feedback running around on Vega Jap right now. However, you can read my updated first post for the full review.....

Any more questions, lemme know Smile

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 5:05pm

Because the weight of a rubber is centered more towards the tip of the blade. 5 grams at the base of the handle vs 5 grams near the tip is a huge difference.

You wouldn't think you could feel 5 grams, but you can (although it's not super noticeable). When it gets into the 20-30 grams is where the difference becomes huge.

With 2-8 grams my stroke timing is not affected.
With 30-40 gram lighter blade, I can barely hit the ball anymore. Timing is too early for everything.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
Scorpnox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 6:06pm

Is it better than EVO EL-P or Tenzone SF?
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 7:04pm

I can easily feel a 5gm difference in several setups I have.  Sometimes that is enough to move the balance of the blade enough to go from fairly well balanced to having some degree of head heavy balance point. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Scorpnox Scorpnox wrote:

Is it better than EVO EL-P or Tenzone SF?

I have not played EVO, and I have played only the regular TenZone, not SF version. It is considerably different from TenZone, as topsheet is softer and more elastic, and so is the sponge.

crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2013 at 7:59am

I can easily feel a 5gm difference in several setups I have.  Sometimes that is enough to move the balance of the blade enough to go from fairly well balanced to having some degree of head heavy balance point. 

placebo effect. Sure you convince yourself you can tell the difference but without a scale you could never tell that 2-3% difference

Sorry that's as much a fairy tale as the princess on the pea Embarrassed
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2013 at 10:42am
crackfst
People tried to explain to you that some of us will feel the difference. You keep repeated the princess/pea slogan... You may want to remember that people differ in their sensitivity levels. Take this info and do with it what you want... 
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2013 at 11:35am

placebo effect. Sure you convince yourself you can tell the difference but without a scale you could never tell that 2-3% difference

Sorry that's as much a fairy tale as the princess on the pea Embarrassed

No....it's your lack of feel and sensitivity.  I can tell the difference and have demonstrated it to many at my club and 2 of the MyTT members here from my area. 

Take off your blinders or put your crack pipe down dude.   Wink    Don't make me correct your various incorrect statements here on the forum again....LOL  

Now lets get this train back on the tracks......Vega Japan anyone?  

Edited by Rich215 - 04/06/2013 at 11:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic