Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Vega Japan Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 5:08am
Both VJ and VE are perfect match for OSP Martin Carbon.
Sponsored Links

stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 3:05pm
What is your feeling about VJ after those long hours of training with this rubber?
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
smarta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 7:43am
great feeling, perfect for my bh
blade: yinhe galaxy t-11+

fh: sigmaIIeurope 2.0 mm

bh: donic coppa silver x3 2mm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 10:58am
I am having difficulty soft-looping (with XVJ 2.0) any slow balls on my far forehand side. They just slide of the rubber. Hitting and distance looping is great, though.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Dancer in the dark View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancer in the dark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 5:49am
I am used to Stiga Calibra Sound's soft sponge and soft feel but I wouldn't mind a little harder feel. Can someone compare hardness and performance of VJ to Calibra Sound?

Can someone compare hardness, performance and durability of VJ to Bluefire JP 03?

Thanks!
Postmodern defender
JSH - JP03 - P1R
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Dancer in the dark Dancer in the dark wrote:

I am used to Stiga Calibra Sound's soft sponge and soft feel but I wouldn't mind a little harder feel. Can someone compare hardness and performance of VJ to Calibra Sound?

Can someone compare hardness, performance and durability of VJ to Bluefire JP 03?

Thanks!

VJ is harder than both.  Much harder than Calibra Sound.

VJ is less bouncy than Calibra Sound, has more topsheet grip, throws higher, more reactive to spin.

VJ is a bit faster than JP-03, but they are quite similar in a lot of ways.  I would say VJ was a lightly tuned version of JP-01.

Too early to say about durability, but my JP-03 and VJ have lasted several months with little change so far.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancer in the dark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 7:00am
Thanks Andy.

Isn't the Bluefire JP03 much softer than VJ? I would guess it must be somewhere between Calibra Sound and VJ?
Postmodern defender
JSH - JP03 - P1R
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 8:12am
I'd say calibra was very soft, jp-03 soft-medium, vj medium-hard.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dancer in the dark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 6:16am
I guess VJ will be too hard for me then.

Initially, I was thinking about Xiom Vega Europe. As I understand correctly, both topsheet and sponge from VJ are different from VE.

Apart from the different sponge hardness, I wonder what's the difference in performance, throw and feel between Bluefire JP 03 and Vega Europe... Any idea?

Postmodern defender
JSH - JP03 - P1R
smarta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 8:00am
Vj sponge is harder than VE, but topsheet is about the same.

blade: yinhe galaxy t-11+

fh: sigmaIIeurope 2.0 mm

bh: donic coppa silver x3 2mm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 1:56pm
I have had the feeling that XVJ is a very good rubber if you are a really highly athletic player, putting a lot of energy in your drives and loops. In that case this rubber performs well. 
I personally think it is not intended for finesse shots or to get you out of a troubled position somewhere close to the table. Therefore, on my second setup I am back to my old friend Rakza 7 Soft.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 5:16pm
Finally I have had a hit with it and it is good stuff.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Finally I have had a hit with it and it is good stuff.

Great, we waited for some additional input. Could you elaborate in what ways you like the XVJ the most?
nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 2:35am
just wondering for BH
2.0mm or 2.2 mm
which one better?
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 4:21am
so love that vega euro.. gum last so long even you don't clean very often. I might try that VJ sometime.
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 4:26am
Originally posted by nittakuball nittakuball wrote:

just wondering for BH
2.0mm or 2.2 mm
which one better?

I would suggest use the thickness where you are already comfortable. but if you'd really want to experiment, and have tried a max or 2.2 on your bh why not.

I'm not used to a max sponge on bh but my Vega Euro max felt comfy.. very friendly rubber, but not too sure with VJ as it has harder sponge, that requires more touch on your side but would be easy also to direct the ball placing on both long and short games.
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by regiz.rugenz regiz.rugenz wrote:

just wondering for BH
2.0mm or 2.2 mm
which one better?

I would suggest use the thickness where you are already comfortable. but if you'd really want to experiment, and have tried a max or 2.2 on your bh why not.

I'm not used to a max sponge on bh but my Vega Euro max felt comfy.. very friendly rubber, but not too sure with VJ as it has harder sponge, that requires more touch on your side but would be easy also to direct the ball placing on both long and short games.

It is hard to find two rubbers more different than XVE vs XVJ!... and VJ is a heavy rubber, so 2.2 is for a rather athletic player.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Dancer in the dark Dancer in the dark wrote:

Thanks!

Ive used Calibra LT sound and VE, since they are pretty close to Calibra sound and VJ respectively, I can pretty much tell the difference between the two rubbers, well somewhat I guess.

Calibra rubbers are soft and thin, a sound version sponge of calibra's are pretty light, soft and brittle, you would easily rip that sponge taking off from your blade. Pretty fast but I must say lacks a lot of spin.. durability sucks.

Vegas are medium hard rubbers, VE has medium hard sponge and VJ sponge is for sure a little harder than of the VE. Fast rubber and it's all gum, rubber and sponge are heavy but very forgiving with lots of control. Many says its similar to Rakza 7, and manufactured at the same factory. I love best is it's durability. You can play all day and even forget cleaning.. check the rubber a month later and it's still grippy. 

in short, the two rubbers are all but differences and totally none similarities.
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

just wondering for BH
2.0mm or 2.2 mm
which one better?

It is hard to find two rubbers more different than XVE vs XVJ!... and VJ is a heavy rubber, so 2.2 is for a rather athletic player.

that is so true if you are a heavy looper. but not necessarily if you're not a heavy looper more so if you have it on a fast blade, a simple stroke would punch the ball with so little effort. some minimalist players who likes saving energies would still benefit from this rubber.
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 1:39pm
totally agree! 
Amazing for punch kinda shots!
Its not too sensitvie to spin, and is pretty fast on flat kinda shots, though it does produce just enough spin to keep the ball on the table! 
But yeah, there are better rubbers for looping on the BH. VJ aint bad at looping on the BH by any means,its just a little short of THE best! On the FH, its pretty darn easy to loop with(but definitely not as spinny as t05 on reallly powerful loops)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2014 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

just wondering for BH
2.0mm or 2.2 mm
which one better?

that is so true if you are a heavy looper. but not necessarily if you're not a heavy looper more so if you have it on a fast blade, a simple stroke would punch the ball with so little effort. some minimalist players who likes saving energies would still benefit from this rubber.

This does sound like poor man's Tenergy80, doesn't it?
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2014 at 2:21am
havnt tried t80, but VJ feels faster and much easier for punch shots than t05!

and yeah!, unless you arnt a looper, i guess not going with max would be good especially if your using it on a somewhat fast blade!

Edited by nv42 - 02/17/2014 at 3:02am
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
bonovox76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonovox76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 5:36am
would someone suggest VJ 2,0 on a timo boll spirit as a fh rubber?
my skills Excel in spinny controlled and precise looping from half distance, good spinny serves and sidespin tricks when necessary
on Bh i usually play with pushes, controlled spinny loops on backspin to prepare the Fh (i'm lefty) and controlled blocks

if VJ may suit on FH what do u guy suggest on BH side? maybe Vega Europe in 2,0 thickness?
or viceversa?
pls help

Edited by bonovox76 - 08/27/2014 at 5:39am
my feedback
Yinhe T7
Tibhar evo MXP MAX both sides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2014 at 2:58pm
I've just learned from a coach who is also a Xiom dealer in his own club that Vega Japan is so advance compared to their other series of rubbers. It is anticipated as the future line of Sigma series. A much Grippier and faster Sigma.

I've used Vega Japan for 2.5 months now and so impressed. Just bought yesterday a new sheet and have to admit I am adjusting to the newly opened package.. probably requires some breaking in. But for now I can really feel it grips like no other rubbers I've used.  The old rubber I am currently using about a year old now and still rip the ball both in opening loops and counter looping. A pure beast on these department.

Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2014 at 3:20pm
I am not surprised an Xiom dealer recommends it. IMO this rubber is not going to be nearly as popular as Vega Europe, for sure. VJ... Yeah, it is a lumber jack's ripping rubber... on slow spinny loops it is terrible. Plus it seemed very heavy for me. 
Are you boosting this or treating it in some special way? Anyways, if you like it- good for you. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2014 at 5:34pm
On my old rubber that I bought used, YES.. just enough to restore the sponge to speed, and soften the topsheet a little bit. I can see even a number of junior coaches in my club has been covertly sneaking on me when I am exchanging counter loop with highly rated players.

On the new rubber sheet NO.. way too fast and way too grippy.. if your stroke is right on path the ball catapults from it's grip rather than from the sponge.. think of it as if you have a trigger hummer that pulls soon as you hit the ball and just punch like a pistol. Sounds great too on both my Hurricane King and Rosewood blades. Now I know how Batman or Superman feels like.. Big smile

On the other hand, I let a couple of friends use my paddle and they can't seem to play as I do. Dunno, perhaps I just improved that much or whatever. Right now I could only care less, hahah!

Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2014 at 7:02pm
Is it so much better than vega pro that it justifies being 50 bucks? I was gonna buy a back-up racket, and while Originally just planned on putting the same things on it was curious about vega japan. From a defensive pov anyway- I would absolutely not get 2.2 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 7:26am
Vega Japan is more lively, more glue feel, and certainly very spinny for my strokes.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 5:22pm
Vega Japan is my backhand rubber now. It's the perfect compromise for me. It is quite fast, clearly faster than VE, VA or VP but slower than Sigma rubbers and much more controlable. It is not as spinny as VP but spinnier and more powerful than VE or VA. I find it easier to play with than VP which is too hard and not lively enough for my game.

On my forehand I prefer a little harder and faster rubbers like Sigma I euro or Bluefire M2.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2014 at 3:46am
If I understand correctly, the Vega Japan has a firm sponge and a soft topsheet. Is it fair to say it is like Adidas P7 in terms of speed and spin?

I like the P7 but I want to try a Xiom rubber for a change. (also looking at the new OVE)

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic