Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

XIOM Vega Japan Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 8:25am
just saw your pm bolteri, and yes if you apply too much pressure while sticking VJ or if you do lot let the rubber air for sometime it will shrink a bit (1-2mm). It has shrinked for me once (mx-p shrinks too). And yeah I haven't tried mx-s (nextlevel seems to have been playing with it a while from what I've seen). From what iv read mx-s ain't as easy to use rubber as mx-p, VJ, o5pro etc though it is more rewarding. And yeah, what exactly is your playing level? If this your first custom bat I'd say don't go for  mx-p, it's a lot more powerful and 'hard'   than the other rubbers youv listed .. And yeah, unless you loop a lot you can go with VJ 2.0, it's more than powerful enough for almost everything 
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Sponsored Links

Bolterixus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 8:26am
I read it through like 3 times. I play around 1 meter away from the table and I rarely go to like 2 meters. So I am guessing the VJ would be a better choice for me.
Blade: Primorac OFF-
FH: Bryce Speed FX
BH: Sriver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 8:35am
It would not be my first custom bat. My first was one was Bryce, and mark V. Then I had Bryce speed FX with sriver and primorac. Now I am using Primorac with Vega europe, and Sriver L. Not sure about my playing level. I am in UK and it is a bit difference compared to USATT. This is my 4th year playing table tennis. I wouldn't call my self a beginner or a Pro. I play twice a week, wanting to play 3 times soon.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 9:56am
Most esn rubbers shrink. Ovp pro shrinks as well . Oivp shrinked less. Sigma 2 pro also shrinked less.

Vega japan gives bullet pushes if you can use your wrist when returning serves. A 2400 rated player back to back had difficulty returning my serve returns. It has a weird effect on the ball. Almost like a float but its faster than a float with huge amount of backspin.
A 1750 whom I exchange games with because of his annoying short pips, is forced to serve super right to my fh bc vega japan flicks are deadly. Im still transotioning between fh rubbers hence I dont have the confidence to hook from under the table during a game lol. Or snake as they call it. Nctta is next month and Im not trying to ruin my paddle right now.
About the serve return; this might just be very technique dependent. I was using ovp on my bh before this.
But if you can, get s2p on your bh. Nothing beats it imo for a bh rubber. It is hard however by most peoples standards. Especially as a bh rubber.
Both were tested with xsf poly ball. Cracked a few double fish poly balls.

Fh flicks with ovp are automatic. I had to fix my technique with tg3 neo after taking a break from tt . Then went to ovp .

Both vega japan and ovp can chop heavy topspin right back. My technique for chopping is prwtty crappy but I do it for fun before the game to get it out of my system.

All in all you cant go wrong with em. At least I didnt. Rest is up to you , how well you transition from your prev rubbers to xioms.

Remember that no rubber is a magic rubber. No matter how much we want it to be.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 10:14am
I will probably put Vega Europe on my BH as my backhand is not the strongest so I want some control also. I am moving closer to Vega Japan. How long have you been using VJ for now? Also would you recommend buying like a really expensive blade or is there no much difference between a blade which costs like £40 like stratus power wood and a £130 like timo boll zlc?
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 12:19pm
Yu get pretty much similar blades to butterfly composites at much lower rates from other brands, Google!. Also, since Yu haven't been playing for long, and also because Yu play only 2 days a week ( 3in the future) and not 5-6 days like ppl who play at a a competitive level, I would suggest sticking to an all wood blade too and stratus powerwood is a really good 5 ply and is definitely fast enough. If You want something a bit more stiff and powerful you can opt for a 7 ply like the Samsonov force pro, though a 5 ply is easier to loop with and create spin. IF You really want a composite you can check out for good deals on xiom Vega Pro or euro and even andro treiber series (which I haven't tried but have seen many players use recently). Both have zylon in the them ( I guess there's an alc treiber too) and are cheaper compared to bty equivalents.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 1:59pm
My following set-up will probably be:
Vega Japan 2.0 FH
Vega Europe 1.8 BH
Tibhar stratus power wood FL

would you say that the thicknesses are fine

Are there any other blades which you could recommend under £60 which are OFF- preferably

Edited by Bolterixus - 10/11/2015 at 2:12pm
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Bolterixus Bolterixus wrote:

My following set-up will probably be:
Vega Japan 2.0 FH
Vega Europe 1.8 BH
Tibhar stratus power wood FL

would you say that the thicknesses are fine

Are there any other blades which you could recommend under £60 which are OFF- preferably

XVJ and XVE are two very different rubbers... I don't know about Vega Europe in 1.8 mm. This is a very soft rubber, if you are a looper it makes sense to use it in max, if you are not a looper, there are many better rubbers for driving/blocking....
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 2:43pm
I used Vega Europe on FH and I know I like it so I tried it on the backhand as well and I quite like it as it is quite soft, my coach recommended it in 1.8mm to give me more control while blocking, VJ is faster that is why I would like it on the FH, but I think in MAX it would be too fast and it might loose a bit of its spin.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 4:31pm
Bolterixus, I'd advise changing the rubbers first before changing the blade. You may not need to take two steps at a time, the VJ is already one step up from VE, and so is VE from Sriver. Changing blades takes a little more to adapt than rubbers.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 6:22pm
I second Brans advice.

I dont know of the durability regarding vj tbh. Mine has seen about 6 hours of play time, then took it off for my tg3 neo fh.

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/2015 at 6:38pm
VJ has decent durability gunz, at least it felt better than O5pro (I mean the glue effect). Xiom topsheets are immortal when Yu only consider cracking at the edges lol. And yeah Vega Europe in 2.0 ain't exactly a speed demon either, 1.8 mightbe a bit too thin considering VE is a soft rubber and Yu have been playing for 4years so I doubt yua BH is that weak. Also since you don't back off from the table much a stratus is a pretty good blade. Tbh I can't think of something a whole lot better whiteout increasing the budget a whole lot(even then, I doubt) . So go with what Yuv decided for now :)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 1:26am
I will keep my old set up as a reserve bat. I want a change like I said before so I want to try a new blade like the stratus. Thanks guys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 11:20am
Would it loose a huge amount of speed if I would choose 1.8 for VE. Also what is the thickness for MAX for VJ?
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 1:42pm
As interesting as the setup selection might be... we are supposed to provide our input on Vega Japan rubber in this thread.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 2:03pm

Would it loose a huge amount of speed if I would choose 1.8 for VE. Also what is the thickness for MAX for VJ?

I havnt used VE in 1.8 but I'd say stick with 2.0 since it ain't that tough to control. Also VJ in 2.0 should do too imo. And yeah, since you already have a VE, I guess you should take a thicker sponge if you are starting to loop more and need more spin. I guess max is 2.1 for xiom, I'm definitely not sure though and guess you should wait for someone else to reply. And sorry for the thread derailment jack lol but still whatever we spoke should be a compare for ppl interested in VJ.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2015 at 2:14pm
I am sry Jacek, but on the other side it is also on VJ
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 12:20am
Anybody had a chance to compare Omega V Asia to Vega Japan? I'm feeling the itch to try something new, but I have enjoyed VJ for a couple years now with no complaints.

Also, is it true that max sponge Vega Japan is only 2.1mm? I've played with 2.0mm this whole time, but I'd consider trying max next time if it is only a hair thicker than 2.0mm.
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 1:22am
Originally posted by ckhirnigs113 ckhirnigs113 wrote:

Also, is it true that max sponge Vega Japan is only 2.1mm? I've played with 2.0mm this whole time, but I'd consider trying max next time if it is only a hair thicker than 2.0mm.

I doubt that...it's usually at least 0.2mm thicker. I don't think they would bother making a max if it was only 0.1mm thicker.... the tolerance of the machines is likely no better than 0.1mm.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolterixus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 4:15am
The max is 2.2 as I asked. I also use VJ in 2.0.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 4:34am

I used Vega Europe on FH and I know I like it so I tried it on the backhand as well and I quite like it as it is quite soft, my coach recommended it in 1.8mm to give me more control while blocking, VJ is faster that is why I would like it on the FH, but I think in MAX it would be too fast and it might loose a bit of its spin.

You won't lose spin by going for MAX... in fact you'll gain spin at the top end. VJ is quite a bit faster, as others have mentioned already.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 5:33am
I found vj to be softer at 2.0 compared to ovp. Never used ova .
More controled. To me it plays like a classic rubber but with morern apeed and spin. Is that possible haha?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 5:42am
OVA has a harder sponge and softer topsheet than VJ, and OVA's topsheet is newer-generation (softer, matte, grippier).  VJ has similarities with Bluefire M2, but is a bit slower and more linear (it uses the same booster and has a very similar topsheet).

With OVA being faster at the top end than VJ and having a softer topsheet, I find that it's much better for me with the plastic ball.  With cell it's a bit of a beast and I'd probably prefer VJ.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 8:23am
Thanks for the info everyone. I may have to give OVA a try since I will be playing a tournament in January that will use the XSF seamless ball. I have already started practicing with it in preparation. With the XSF ball I feel like I need a little more speed with my Koji blade and VJ 2.0mm combo on the forehand. I assume I would probably get this from OVA but I may also get this from going to 2.2mm(max) sponge on a new sheet of Vega Japan. Decisions, decisions... 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:03am

Thanks for the info everyone. I may have to give OVA a try since I will be playing a tournament in January that will use the XSF seamless ball. I have already started practicing with it in preparation. With the XSF ball I feel like I need a little more speed with my Koji blade and VJ 2.0mm combo on the forehand. I assume I would probably get this from OVA but I may also get this from going to 2.2mm(max) sponge on a new sheet of Vega Japan. Decisions, decisions... 

If the only thing you need is a little more speed, moving to max VJ is the more sensible option for sure.  Personally, I haven't liked the slippy feel of the plastic balls so I've found moving to a softer topsheet has helped a lot in this area, but that's a personal thing.  A move to OVA is a bigger change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:17am
I'd really like to hear from someone that played with Vega Japan in 2.0mm and MAX. I play modern defense, so I chop quite a bit on my forehand. I really like 2.0mm for this, but I do feel like I need more speed for the new plastic ball. Any experience comparing 2.0 vs MAX?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:52am
AndySmith,
Are you playing with OVA or VJ currently? I think OVA has a softer topsheet than VJ but a harder sponge. On paper it should work really well with the plastic ball.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 10:54am
Well, it's the usual differences between max and 2.0 mm. It feels a little fuller, a little faster, it doesn't bottom out as easy when you go for full power (you're less likely to feel you've compressed the rubber to the point of hitting the wood).

It's not a big jump, you'll get used to it in no time. There'll be a bigger difference from the fact VJ is heavily boosted and a new sheet will feel much bouncier than an old one.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:12am

AndySmith,
Are you playing with OVA or VJ currently? I think OVA has a softer topsheet than VJ but a harder sponge. On paper it should work really well with the plastic ball.

OVA for me, on both my main and backup blades (I'm just searching for my best BH option now).

And you are right - softer topsheet and harder sponge than VJ.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2015 at 11:18am
I've used VJ for more than 2.5 years now, so I'm very familiar with the boost. I actually much prefer VJ after it has settled down a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic