Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short pimples for forehand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Thornta View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thornta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short pimples for forehand
    Posted: 03/27/2006 at 8:25am

Which short pimples do you think is the best for topspin and smashes with forehand?

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 2.1
BH: Butterfly Feint Long II 1.1
Sponsored Links

Ikaros21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ikaros21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 8:43am
none of them
I'm going up 1986 NooB
Blade: Galaxy T4
FH: Globe 999
BH: Butterfly Cermet I'm not re-gluing anymore
tony7190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony7190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 8:59am
topspin? uhh... go with inverted... if ur smashing, THEN use pips. Topspin with pips is like next to impossible... ick..
DHS 4007 Penhold Blade
FH: 802-40
BH: G888
Indonesia5000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indonesia5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 8:59am
best for creating topspin? Pips out cant really make great topspin because it has less surface area than inverted. As for smashing take your pick.
blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra, Gatien Carbon cpen
FH: Globe999 on dhs #20 BH: SST Cross
tomji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Thornta Thornta wrote:

Which short pimples do you think is the best for topspin and smashes with forehand?

Juic Offense
mardim View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mardim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 9:11am
yes you can loop with short pips but it is not as easy as with inverted. You have to let the ball sink in the sponge so you can get good topspin. The best ones i tried is stiga clippa and tsp spinpips(banned)
Thornta View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thornta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 9:21am
Of course I understand that I can't produce as good topspin as with inverted. I wonder if there are any short pimples which allows you to make looping strokes. Sorry if I was indistinct.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indonesia5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 9:41am
o. ok. i know that with Dr. Neubauer pistol you can do the looping stroke with it, but you would want to glue it up (pretty slow) and i doubt that you want to spend money on a slow looping rubber anyway.
silence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 10:33am
Butterfly Raystorm is good and Stiga Radical.Stiga clipper is a bit less spinny in my opinion.As is Butterfly Speedy Pips Out(otherwise known as Speedy P.O.).I haven't tried any of the TSP rubbers or any of Joola's short pips.I would not recommend Friendship's 802, it is virtually spinless.Raystorm does take time to get used to .Remember the more spin you can do, the more spin you take from the incoming ball.

For the other comments.
1: yes you can topspin with pips.
2:Topspin is easy enough, looping is hard.
3:He is not looking for great topspin, just good topspin.

The conclusion I must come to is that short pips are not very well understood.

With Raystorm and Radical I have been able to topspin and sidespin quite well.On low balls you may have to go more forward to get enough spin to get the ball over the net.In cramped spaces you may just have to play a lift.

chops View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 10:35am
Raystorm has also high tension, for improving speed and spin.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Indonesia5000 Indonesia5000 wrote:

best for creating topspin? Pips out cant really make great topspin because it has less surface area than inverted. As for smashing take your pick.

I disagree. Pips *can* create nearly as much backspin or topspin as normal rubbers if they are used by an expert player. I have played quite a few people who had an incredible spinny topspin opening with short pips.
thebuffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebuffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 11:31am

I play with short pips on the forehand and must say that Stigga Clippa is the way to go.  There is a great article on this topic where a gentleman compares differing short pip rubbers.  Check it out.  http://www.masatenisi.org/english/test2.htm It helped me out a lot.  I wish I had listened at first before I bought my Friendship 802.  I later got Clippa and have been happy ever since.  You can do a lot more with Clippa.

sardius
fh stiga clippa (1.8)
bh stiga magna (2.0)
Gaute View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 12:26pm
Dont be offensive with long pimples!
Blade: Avalox
Rubbers:Donic desto F3 Big slam (both sides)

I have stopped gluening now, I play as good without. Donic desto F3 Big slam gives klick anyways...
Thornta View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thornta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 2:30pm
Thanks a lot for all answers!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2006 at 9:35pm
actually, radical is spinnier and faster than raystorm, though raystorm has better control and more suited for looping and radical for hitting
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2006 at 4:22am
one of the pips chinese are using is hammond FA, spinpips md (cao zhen), speedy po bty
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2006 at 5:10am
you can give also much backspin with short pips, when youre chopping
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2006 at 11:47am
I've got Juic Masterspin om my backhand right now. It is great for flicking underspin, blocks, retrun of serve and countering topspin, but it lacks the ability to loop as well as I would like it to.

I also just ordered a sheet of 889sv 2.5 for my forehand. I plan on using it speedglued. I think this is a combination you might feel worth trying.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Patmandidily View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patmandidily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2006 at 1:52pm

Originally posted by YATTP YATTP wrote:

Originally posted by Indonesia5000 Indonesia5000 wrote:

I disagree. Pips *can* create nearly as much backspin or topspin as normal rubbers if they are used by an expert player. I have played quite a few people who had an incredible spinny topspin opening with short pips.

I completely agree. I think what people are thinking about is looping in a rally and what the person who made this post is thinking about is looping off of underspinl; on the forehand, looping underspin is essentially the same with inverted as it is with short pips. I actually find it easier to loop underspin with short pips, but I feel I lose power too.

Blade - Bastian Steger Flared (Butterfly)
Rubber - Sriver 2.1 FH
              802-40 2.2 BH
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thornta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2006 at 3:24pm

Originally posted by sluskas sluskas wrote:

you can give also much backspin with short pips, when youre chopping

What about spin reversal and control compared to inverted when chopping with fh?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indonesia5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2006 at 9:02pm
Sorry i didnt make that clear. I was talking about looping
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2006 at 4:47am
i dont know huhey
goldberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2006 at 4:25pm
which one to choose between clippa or raystorm
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2006 at 5:10pm
No doubt that SP can be used for looping, still I wonder, if you are a looper, why even bother with the SP? As for flat hitting and oppening against backspin they are unbeateble, but most of the inverted rubbers are much better for looping. I play with Ritc 802-1 and its possible to loop with it but thats not what I use it for...
The holy grail
joey5867 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey5867 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2006 at 7:44pm
Stiga Clippa and BTY Challenger Attack.
BLD: NITTAKU Sanalion S
FH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
BH: DONIC Sonex JP 2.0
caozhen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caozhen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2006 at 1:51pm
How do u know Cao Zhen use spinpips md ? I think she uses Challenger of Butterfly, coz ater the match with Gao Jun, Gao Jun said that she uses the same short pimples rubber like her, and Gao Jun uses Challenger
rotex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2006 at 1:56pm
raystorm number 1, exellent solution, then 729 802-40 soft pro version
emstudios View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emstudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2006 at 4:32pm

so check it. my friend uses Butterfly Speddy PO bothsides but for me and this is good for now. i use dawei 833b whick is a cheap short pips rubber. 1.8 or 2.0 nothing thicker.

good looks! go piss your bed!
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2006 at 6:02am

Raystorm is perhaps the easiest choice for spinny short pips that can be used for spinning the ball, spinny serves etc.

My experience with Radical is that it was not as fast as the other short pips I tried and was not easy to control, and the ability to spin wears out when the thin film wears out. Raystorm has much better control.

There is another excellent spinny short pips, but is not available in the US. It is Nittaku Moristo SP, and can be ordered from iruiru of Japan. Moristo SP comes with real thick sponge if u get the max, and u really can spin the ball with it almost like inverted as some inverted users have said when they tried. It also has great control. That's why I said Raystorm is the easiest choice.

I've also used Spectol 21 and Hammond FA and although I like them and spinning is possible to a degree, they are not spin oriented rubbers.

I've used Spin Pips in the past and liked it, but the sheets were not consistent from one to another, even the size of the pips were different sometimes. When I got the good sheet,  the Spin Pips was really good at spinning, but was not really that fast. But, this is the spin pips of the past - the banned kind. I don't know about the new spin pips. I've seen something called super spin pips on iruiru's website, but never tried it, cause Moristo SP fits the bill just fine, and going back to the MoSP after trying the Raystorm even at extra cost.

I've heard of new spin oriented short pips rubber from Yasaka called Extend PO, and heard nice things about it, but it's not available even in iruiru. So..no way to find out..

goldberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2006 at 1:23pm
how about raystorm put on speedglue?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic