Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adidas Tenzone Ultra Review & Forum Testing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 6:52am
updated with review for the Tenzone Ultra Rubber on first page
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 7:19am
Great reviews, thank you for sharing your impressions!

Now waiting for the TenzoNe Plus Ultra Wink
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 7:36am
Plamen hahaha thanks, I hope they would give a different name. I have the new Hypertouch bladenow. i need to review it thsi week and will post pics tomorrow
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Skynums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skynums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2013 at 8:11am
Hoping to buy a used ones to save some bucks! Anyone selling?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 5:54am
i asked jonathan groth today and he says that the tenzone ultra has better control and seems like more catapult than the original tenzone. i still find the tenzone faster though. also, i forgot to state that the ultra is also good in spinny pushes and very spinny in serves also. i never had a problem with drop shots or flicks

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 5:59am
It's a shame they kept the Tenzone name for the new rubber.  They don't have much in common really.  And adding Ultra to the end of the name makes it sound wilder than the original, which is the opposite of what it actually is.

Nice review yogi, as always.  It's a great rubber, but a bit expensive.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:17am
the ultra was really good combined with thehypertouch blade. no wonder jonathan groth really likes it. about the name i guess i agree, the ultra is a different rubber from the 2 original tenzone rubbers

128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:31am
I found the rubber to be like an enhanced version of a classic rubber, like a modern ESN of Mark V. Very nice on my BH. I switched to using this rubber on my BH instead of Vega Japan, because it is much more controllable, and at my level I am not yet ready to handle the explosive power of Vega Japan just yet.

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:58am
there is a contest in http://www.tabletennis-sport.com that gives a participant a chance to win 20 rubbers (tenzone ultra). thecatch isyou have to return the 20 rubbers after 1 year of using them or be charged with the rubbers. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 9:59am
128yinyang, i also like it more in the backhand than in the forehand

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

there is a contest in http://www.tabletennis-sport.com that gives a participant a chance to win 20 rubbers (tenzone ultra). thecatch isyou have to return the 20 rubbers after 1 year of using them or be charged with the rubbers. 

Surely you mean "to win one of 20 rubbers" ...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 10:57am
this is what the form says 

"Would you like to play one season with the new adidas TenZone Ultra for free?

Then register here and win one of twenty TenZone Ultra flatrates.*

You can register here until 30th of June and we will inform the twenty lucky winners via email afterwards.

* Every TenZone Ultra flatrate consists of 20 TenZone Ultra rubber total in a one year period.

All used rubbers have to be sent back to us. Otherwise we will have to invoice the rubbers which were not sent back."

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 11:14am
Bonkers.  I wonder why you have to send them back?  Recycling?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 11:17am
probably to discourage people from selling them and also protection for distributors, its 20x20 so its a lot of rubbers

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 11:31am
Ah ha, I see.  Some evil people might put them onto eBay I suppose.  Me?  If I win I'll cover myself in rubbers in the bath.  Not sure they'd want them back then.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2013 at 8:39pm
you can sleep on them when they are all laid out on the floor  LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 12:29am

128yinyang, i also like it more in the backhand than in the forehand

Yea, I keep my FH reserved for Chinese rubbers LOL.

But I have to say that the TenZone Ultra is great for the BH, giving a mild touch of the ESN tensor power, while having great control and insensitivity to spin. Me gusta!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Ah ha, I see.  Some evil people might put them onto eBay I suppose.  Me?  If I win I'll cover myself in rubbers in the bath.  Not sure they'd want them back then.

They would make for a sweet doormat!  Or very flashy place-mats for the dinner table Tongue

lachieminers98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lachieminers98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2013 at 6:34am
Adidas Top Secret review (Adidas Tenzone ultra before release)

I love it! It is faster than joola tango which I previously had on my bat. However it is not as spiny. It is also hopeless for chopping and has a medium amount of control. It also has a great range of speeds but especially good for high speed shots and looping. It is also a great rubber for blocking back from the table. Overall, it is a great rubber and very fast
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2013 at 11:12am
Thanks to AndySmith I have had a chance to use this rubber (red max) on my Spartacus.  Rakza soft max and Rakza regular 2.0mm as comparison to what I use now on the Spartacus.

After counter hitting FH to FH for about 2 minutes.....my impression was....wow this is so dead feeling.  I was expecting more pop or bounce from the sponge because it is so heavy.  The cut rubber size is 155x153, had a light layer of glue on it, 50g weight. 

I can not really add much in detial from what Andy has already written so in such detail, but this rubber just felt very dead to me.  I would say it is maybe the most linear ESN out there, it seems.  I had to have a much more active swing and closed off angle to keep the ball down when hitting/looping close to the table.  When moving off the table several feet this was not as bad and it was easier to keep the flight/arc of the ball hitting the table where I directed it. 

For service return and touch shots, I felt that I could not get as much spin on the ball to leave the opponent a more deadly short back spin return.  I have more grip and feel with my Rakza rubbers and am able to get tons of backspin on returns.  But a big plus was the spin sensitivity of the Adidas Top Secret/Ultra rubber.  It is very spin insensitive for sure. 

Because of its weight and lack of punch/bounce, it is not a rubber I would like to use with my touch or style.  It felt sort of like a stiffer sponged Mark V with little grip to me.  I think that is the best way I can sum it up. 

I will be giving the rubber to 2 other forum members that are in my local area. They are both much higher rated players than I, so it will be interesting to see what they think after testing it. 

Brycest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brycest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2013 at 6:37am
Hello everyone i'm kinda new in this board, I've been reading reviews ,you guys' opinion and suggestion for a few years but I never had a chance to post or registered. But today may I share my opinion on this review Adidas tenzone ultra

I just have a chace test the testing version of this Tenzone Ultra(TZU) recently. I'll review it compare to others well-known rubber that make every a lot easier to understand the performance.

Sponge Hardness >> first that everyone hit the ball with some new rubber I think this is the first thing you'll notice let's say TZU is a medium kinda soft sponge (Softer than Tenzone and tenzone sf) I compare it to a TG 05-fx. This TZU is a little bit softer than 05-fx that's make you gain a little bit more control and less spin on the ball. I can say it's very similar sponge hardness to acuda s1 (but a little softer)

Rubber's Tacky >> this TZU not tacky let's say it's a little bit less tacky than TG 05-fx , most likely acuda S1

Spring of sponge >> this is I think is the best of this tenzone series the sponge is super spring, I use it compare to TG 05-fx it's almost the same spring (but a little bit less I guess, cuz I even hardly noticed that)

Conclusion >> TZU is best for someone looking for balanced blocking topspin or play far from the table (Cuz the super spring sponge). I suggest it for backhand cuz it's good control make things a lot easier when you have to block even when you attack its power is great, or forehand who need very spring sponge very powerful smash.

disadvantage >> only disadvantage of this rubber is it can't make that kind of spin (I mean compare to some harder rubber like TG 05, Tenzone, Tenzone sf)

Ps. On of my best reason on Addidas rubber is the price compare to the quality, It's so worth it. I think you can't review base just on quality, it's like you compare sport car to a sedan and say sport car is better. for this tenzone it's like you pay half of the price and gets 80percent of the quality (if you get me) LOL
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2013 at 7:44am
another tenzone ultra video

igsstern View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igsstern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 5:10am
The sponge hardness of TenZone Ultra is about 47.0 degree. It is apparently harder than the sponge of Tenergy 05 FX or Acuda S1.
But, nevertheless we feel that TenZone Ultra is quite soft. That is because its "damping coefficient" is lower.

It can be compared to the suspension system of vehicle. The suspension system includes "spring" and "damper". Spring makes resistant force against deflection, and damper makes resistant force against speed.

In fact, the effect of "speed glue" isn't making the spring coefficient of rubber higher but making the damping coefficient lower. By lowering the damping coefficient of rubber, less energy is dispersed during the period of impact between ball and rubber. That is the effect of speed glue, but TT makers don't right or tell it. That is because that explanation is somewhat difficult for ordinary people who don't have scientific background. Just mentioning "increased tension" is common way of explanation, and works well in market.

Before 2009, when we applied speed gule to sponge, the construction of sponge is slightly "melted". It can be expressed as "half-melted" state. (I selected easy word.) That greatly reduces the damping coefficient of sponge (and top sheet also), and as a result the efficiency of energy is greatly increased. But, what player feels is just that the rubber becomes softer.

The softness of TenZone Ultra shows that it contains "more perfect" integrated glue effect. The softness isn't due to lower spring coefficient but due to lower damping coefficient. So called "sponge hardness" means only spring coefficient of sponge, and it can't explain the actual feeling that is concerned with relative "speed" between ball and rubber. During the period of impact between ball and rubber, what tells the story isn't hardness (= spring coefficient) but damping coefficient. That is the reason why we feel TenZone Ultra softer.

TenZone Ultra is different from any rubber that has been in the market. That is because TenZone Ultra is the first model of "new generation" Tensor rubber.

As Yogi updated the posting, the final one with full packaging is much better than the first distributed samples. It makes great spin at any situation, and draws dramatic arc. I think that some players will prefer "wilder" TenZone or "unique" P7. At weak impact, TenZone provides stronger bounce, the "firm feeling + reduce bounce" of P7 makes it the ideal one for all-round play. However, it isn't exaggeration that TenZone Ultra has both of the power of TenZone and the spin of P7. At weak impact, the bounce of TenZone Ultra is lower than that of TenZone, and that is the key factor of the ease of use. Differently from TenZone, TenZone Ultra is really easy to use at any situation. At weak impact it is slower than TenZone. But, instead, TenZone Ultra gives better spin and better control. At strong impact, the speed of TenZone Ultra is the same or higher than that of TenZone.
igsstern View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igsstern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 5:16am
But, the most important factor of TenZone Ultra is the "stability". That "stability" includes the characteristic that TenZone Ultra seldom sends ball to the net. In many cases, that kind of characteristics is much more important than the speed or the spin. And, that is the reason why many top players have selected Tenergy 05. Tenergy 05 isn't speedy or powerful rubber. The most important advantage of Tenergy 05 is that it seldom sends ball to the net. So far many German rubbers of "Tenergy 05 type" haven't been perfect in that issue. But, the story will be different from 2013.

Edited by igsstern - 04/14/2013 at 5:18am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 7:51am

this is what the form says 

"Would you like to play one season with the new adidas TenZone Ultra for free?

Then register here and win one of twenty TenZone Ultra flatrates.*

You can register here until 30th of June and we will inform the twenty lucky winners via email afterwards.

* Every TenZone Ultra flatrate consists of 20 TenZone Ultra rubber total in a one year period.

All used rubbers have to be sent back to us. Otherwise we will have to invoice the rubbers which were not sent back."

I think this must be somehow standard.  A guy I know who is sponsored by Butterfly and gets all his rubber for free is supposed to send back his used sheets.  They don't really care how much he uses, just so he sends it back when used.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 7:58am
How come so many new members come to post here about the "amazingness" of this rubber? Marketing? 

Personally I tried it and I found the topsheet way too firm but that's because I like soft or elastic topsheets. I prefer the topsheet from the previous Tenzones. The good thing about the Tenzone Ultar was the great dwell-time and control compared to the other two Tenzones. Less speed but somehow more power and more spin. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
igsstern View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igsstern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 8:20am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

How come so many new members come to post here about the "amazingness" of this rubber? Marketing? 

Personally I tried it and I found the topsheet way too firm but that's because I like soft or elastic topsheets. I prefer the topsheet from the previous Tenzones. The good thing about the Tenzone Ultar was the great dwell-time and control compared to the other two Tenzones. Less speed but somehow more power and more spin. 

Even though you are saying that you prefer previous TenZone, you are exactly explaining the improvement of TenZone Ultra. (1) The feeling of longer dwell time = better ball keeping. (2) Better control. (3) More power and more spin. Those three are what have been demanded for German Tensor rubbers so far. That is very exact summarization!!!

The adjustment was done for the range of low~middle impact strength. In that range, strong rebound and high speed isn't needed. Instead, the ability of making strong spin and good "arc" trajectory is more important. That was the weak point of TenZone, and for top players, the modified characteristics of TenZone Ultra will be considered as improvement.

However, that doesn't mean that TenZone Ultra will be better than TenZone for all players. Somebody will prefer older TenZone to new TenZone Ultra. If everybody will prefer TenZone Ultra, how come does older TenZone need to exist?

From the viewpoint of "technology", TenZone Ultra is apparently better and newer than TenZone. However, new technology isn't for satisfying everybody. The adjustment that has been applied for TenZone Ultra is that for the players who want it.
PXiao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2013 at 4:18pm
Im currently playing with Tenzone and can't wait to try the Ultra!
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 10:09am
Better late than never, right?
Here's my review of the Adidas "Top Secret" / Adidas TenZone Ultra Rubber

Initial Stuff

Rubber Weight / Uncut: 71.2g

Rubber Weight / Cut: 45.6g (157mm x 150mm)

Testing Blade: Butterfly Viscaria (ST)

Things to keep in mind: I have not played with any Adidas brand rubbers before, so I can’t make comparisons to these. I do have familiarity with several ESN Tensor rubbers, however, so I do have that as a base of reference. Also, I normally play with soft rubbers (Butterfly Tenergy 05-FX – 2.1mm) on both forehand and backhand.

Topsheet (Red)

Has the matte opaque red color, which seems to be the norm with other recent ESN Tensor rubbers as well (ie Donic Bluefire and Andro Rasant). By comparison, the pimple size and distribution is incredibly similar to that of Andro Rasant. The topsheet seems to be “medium” in terms of elasticity, and have a fair amount of surface grip, similar to that of Donic Bluefire, for example.

Sponge

Cream colored with what appears to be an identical cell structure of Donic Bluefire and Andro Rasant sponges. It’s a medium firm/hard sponge – comparable to Donic Bluefire M1 and Butterfly Tenergy 05.

Speed

The speed of this rubber is good. In terms of comparisons, I would put somewhere along the line of Butterfly Tenergy 05, perhaps even a touch faster.

Spin

Decent spin, but seems perhaps a bit on the underside of Donic Bluefire and Andro Rasant, in my opinion - certainly less spinny than Butterfly Tenergy 05.

Throw

It has a fairly low throw. Maybe not “Chinese rubber low”, but it certainly produces a substantially lower arch than the likes of Donic Bluefire and Butterfly Tenergy.

Conclusion

It’s certainly not my “cup of tea” as far as rubbers go, but that was perhaps inevitable, as I prefer softer rubbers. But beyond that, there just doesn’t seem to be much liveliness or feedback happening with this rubber. It’s not a horrible rubber by any means, but just very ‘so-so’ overall. Others have commented about it having a feeling of more of a classic rubber (ie Mark V), which I agree with, and I don’t mean that as a compliment. For a latest generation Tensor, I would certainly have anticipated more “reaction”, more “punch” from this rubber.

I really appreciate Yogi/Adidas for including me as a tester of this rubber, and I would be honored to participate in any future testing programs. Smile

Edited by Pondus - 04/25/2013 at 10:25am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 1:52pm
Interesting notes there Pondus.   I just played at the club last night, 1 match with the Peterpan blade with Palio Maco Era 2.1 black  (firmer sponge version not soft one)  on FH.... and then the Adidas TOP SECRET rubber max red on the BH side.  

I used the Adidas TS rubber prior to this on my Spartacus for a few matches.   I still find this top secret test rubber to be very slow and dead feeling.  There is no normal tensor feel with it to me.  It sort of feels like a non tensor soft but dense sponge to me.  I love the top sheet though, its very soft and I can get tons of spin on pushes that left opponents dumping them in the net quite often.  With this rubber it is easy to leave very short pushes because it is not bouncy or fast and tends to absorb speed and energy of incoming shots making it pretty forgiving.

But on the other hand, I had a hard time driving and looping with it.  Throw is lower so I overcompensated with more speed and power with shots.....that usually left the ball long or way to high.  I had problems with getting backhand loops to arc back down quick enough. 

The Palio macro era was totally opposite...very bouncy and fast.  I have not used this sheet in a long time and find it to be much more bouncy than Rakza and harder to control.  So by using these 2 very different rubbers left me scrambling to control my shots during game play.  The Adidas rubber did play somewhat slower on the Peterpan than it did on the Spartacus for sure....but still I didn't like this rubber.  It just does not feel like a tensor at all to me.   I would like to try this top sheet on Rakza reg. sponge though. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic