Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

TT clubs in Beijing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT clubs in Beijing?
    Posted: 03/19/2013 at 8:53pm
Does anyone know of some good places to play in Beijing for an American intermediate level player? 

Also, are there classes, coaches available? I read somewhere that you could even take classes at a school like Beijing Shichahai Sports School. Is this true?  That would be amazing.  
Any tips, suggestions, recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.  

Edited by capablanca8 - 03/19/2013 at 9:01pm
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 12:28am
The air pollution is very bad.  I would look for some place where the air is better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 2:26am
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

The air pollution is very bad.  I would look for some place where the air is better.

Well, I will be there anyway, so I figure I should play TT. : )  And that would be indoors at least.
buddytj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddytj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 3:19am
sugest you stop at shishahai first , you may find more tips there 
lot of local clubs  you could play too, but shishahai more foreign  player take a lesson there
hope this help
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 6:55am
Originally posted by capablanca8 capablanca8 wrote:

Well, I will be there anyway, so I figure I should play TT. : )  And that would be indoors at least.

Make sure you stock up enough N95 face masks, and good luck...Tongue

Shanghai isn't anywhere better though, we are undergoing a major swine attackCry

YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 9:57am
I can give you a contact for info / to meet and play... But not at shishahai.

He plays with friends (inc one american guy) in various clubs in BJ.

Check your MP
jdzhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdzhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 10:06am
To add to this, anyone know the best store in Beijing that has best selection of products?
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2013 at 11:08am
Originally posted by jdzhao jdzhao wrote:

To add to this, anyone know the best store in Beijing that has best selection of products?

There are 2 places that have very good deal...
- Ti Yu Guan Lu (体育馆路), they have many shops along the street. Easily located.
- If you are adventurous enough, try Sha Zi Ko (沙子口). This is the place where most distributors are located, thus you can get very good price. You may need to get a local to bring you there.
I Love SWORD
PP Dui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PP Dui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2013 at 11:34pm
Where you r staying?  In zhongguancun, near tsinghua university, you can go to a place near zhonguancun hospital inside science academy sinica, a nice place cost $5/hr to play, $20/hour for coaching.

For pingpang store go to across street of national library, 1000 feet west of subway station on north side of the street.

Edited by PP Dui - 03/21/2013 at 11:38pm
funplay, enjoy the game
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 12:10am
Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

Make sure you stock up enough N95 face masks, and good luck...Tongue

Shanghai isn't anywhere better though, we are undergoing a major swine attackCry

I own a company that does business in China.  Yes, we sell to China. Someone has to. The people we send to China now have 3M masks that cover the nose and mouth.
http://www.toolup.com/3m_6291_half-facepiece-respirator-assembly-medium-with-p100-filters.aspx?utm_source=scNextag&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=sc&scpid=9&scid=scsho1067416
 and filter out particles and organic compounds.  The filters that filter out VOCs are not pink.  This mask may look a little different from the other people wearing the N95.  The medical N95 masks do not work.  Actually, I think our representative is going to the Shanghai area this time this Sunday.

Our representative is Chinese and looks for clubs to play at while in China.  He has said there in no problem finding clubs where ever he goes but then he can read Chinese.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 7:19am
I am going to have my wife look up again the name of the TT club in Beijing that I played at several times.  Judy Long, former Canadian olympian, coaches there.  Give me a day or two to find the name of it.  This place had some pretty high level players -- several around 2500-- much more so than other places I found in Beijing.  Having said that, there are places to play all over the place in Beijing.  You will players at a a lot of levels with every kind of strange style you can think of.

As for place to shop, it depends on where you are staying.  If you are going to be in the very center of Beijing, close to major tourist areas, there is a very large sports store on Wangfujing Road.  It is directly across the street from the Wangfujing Cathedral (which is the largest Christian church in China and a tourist attraction of sorts, and most importantly, very easy to spot since it is the last thing you would expect to find in China).  This is a large pedestrian street, mostly shut off to traffic.   There is interesting street food there, some very high end hotels, tons of other shops, and it is generally considered one of the must-see areas of Beijing.  Everybody knows where it is, it is in the geographic center of the city.  It is close (walking distance) to the  Forbidden City, not far from Tianenman Square, and the Temple of Heaven, very easy to find, and close to other things you simply have to see if you go to Beijing.   As a side note, the pollution is terrible in Beijing  and the place is crowded with bad traffic, but it is also an incredibly interesting place with lots to see.  I personally find it infinitely more interesting than Shanghai, having been to both cities quite a few times.  Shanghai has cleaner air because its on the coast, but that's about its only advantage as far as I can see.  Anyway, almost the entire basement of this massive Beijing sporting goods store is devoted to TT and the selection is huge.

Last time I was at the Wangfujing store, they had everything you could imagine from every maker, and not fakes.  This is important.   Their prices are not cheap, but lower than you would pay outside of China at least for Chinese stuff -- DHS etc.  Same price as everyplace else for Butterfly.   If you are looking for better prices, see the places Antiq mentions above.  I went to one of those shops.  Much harder to find, stores are smaller and generally only carried one or two brands. 

The people who work at the big Wangfujing store are very knowledgeable, and they can help you find a place to play also.  One very good looking woman there at the time (l there I tried not to notice too closely) could speak English.  Oddly enough, you need to go upstairs (fourth or fifth floor?) to find TT clothing -- shoes, shirts, shorts, warmups.  Last time I was there was 2008 but I doubt the general arrangement will have changed much, and this is one of the largest sports stores in Beijing.  By the way, I found two TT clubs just walking along Wangfujing Rd.  One is in the basement of a hotel (8 tables or so) and one is just in a building tucked off the street.  I should say my wife found them.  Being Chinese, she could read the street sign where it says "ping pong club".  Most of the players at those particular clubs were in the 1800-2100 level.  So, the main advantage of the place I am mentioning is it is easy to find, and convenient to other things worth doing in Beijing.  

Here is a link with a map to this street.

http://www.beijingimpression.cn/beijing-shopping/wangfujing-street.shtml

There are many TT shops in Beijing (I went to one of the ones mentioned by Antiq above, it was quite a search to find the place), but I have noticed that some smaller shops in China in general sell obviously fake Buttefly and Stiga stuff, so be careful in that regard.  General sports stores also sell a lot of table tennis stuff (for example shoes) but I didn't spend all that much time looking after I had been to the Wangfujing store, since I spent a ton of money there -- I remember buying a Photino there, this not too long after that blade was first introduced.

One other thing about how things work there.  They take US credit cards.  Once you find what you want to buy, the clerk will give you a little piece of paper.  You then take that paper to a check out station (only one per floor) give them your credit card (or cash) and the piece of paper.  They then stamp that piece of paper in about three places with official looking red ink stamps, you take that paper back to the clerk who helped you, and then they give you your merchandise in a bag and you can go.

Smaller shops, cash only.  In general, get used to paying cash in China.  Also, only a few of the ATM machines will accept foreign cards.

Edited by Baal - 03/22/2013 at 7:40am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 7:27am
delete double post.

Edited by Baal - 03/22/2013 at 7:27am
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

If you are going to be in the very center of Beijing, close to major tourist areas, there is a very large sports store on Wangfujing Road.  It is directly across the street from the Wangfujing Cathedral (which is the largest Christian church in China and a tourist attraction of sorts, and most importantly, very easy to spot since it is the last thing you would expect to find in China).  This is a large pedestrian street, mostly shut off to traffic.  

Last time I was at the Wangfujing store, they had everything you could imagine from every maker, and not fakes.  This is important.   Their prices are not cheap, but lower than you would pay outside of China at least for Chinese stuff -- DHS etc.  Same price as everyplace else for Butterfly.   If you are looking for better prices, see the places Antiq mentions above.  I went to one of those shops.  Much harder to find, stores are smaller and generally only carried one or two brands. 

Yes, the store at wangfujing is call "lisheng" 利生 and this is the chinese name and address:

Name: 北京利生体育商厦

Address: 北京市东城区王府井大街201号北京利生体育商厦

The building has plenty of sports equipments and attires... as the location is in the uptown shopping street, thus the price is higher. THis is easily accessible and a safer choice if you are not familiar with moving around and the  language.

I Love SWORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by PP Dui PP Dui wrote:

Where you r staying?  In zhongguancun, near tsinghua university, you can go to a place near zhonguancun hospital inside science academy sinica, a nice place cost $5/hr to play, $20/hour for coaching.

For pingpang store go to across street of national library, 1000 feet west of subway station on north side of the street.

Thank you, PP Dui.  I've not selected a hotel yet, as I want to figure out where I could play first.  Then I will choose my hotel! : )  Is Zhongguancun a nice area to stay in?  Do you know if I can contact someone at the club before my trip?  Also (last question), are those rates US dollars, which perhaps seem a little high for China? 

Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 11:39am

I am going to have my wife look up again the name of the TT club in Beijing that I played at several times.  Judy Long, former Canadian olympian, coaches there.  Give me a day or two to find the name of it.  This place had some pretty high level players -- several around 2500-- much more so than other places I found in Beijing.  Having said that, there are places to play all over the place in Beijing.  You will players at a a lot of levels with every kind of strange style you can think of.

Thank you, Baal!  If you could find out the name of the TT club where Judy Long coaches, that would be terrific.  And if I could email or call them ahead of time, that would be even better.  I'm holding off on making lodging arrangements until after I figure this part out! : ) 

Thanks again. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 4:40pm

Thank you, Baal!  If you could find out the name of the TT club where Judy Long coaches, that would be terrific.  And if I could email or call them ahead of time, that would be even better.  I'm holding off on making lodging arrangements until after I figure this part out! : ) 

Thanks again. 

What else are you planning to do?  What do you want to see?  Just table tennis?  How much can you spend?  Is this mainly business or pleasure?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 8:34pm

Thanks again. 

What else are you planning to do?  What do you want to see?  Just table tennis?  How much can you spend?  Is this mainly business or pleasure?
I'm traveling to a couple of cities in China for "business," but my stay in Beijing will mostly be for leisure.  I'll be doing some sightseeing and visiting some friends, but I'm hoping to fit in a couple of hours each day for table tennis!  I'll be there for over a week, so I hope to get some good playing in.  
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2013 at 11:27pm
There are a bunch of good hotels close to Wangfujing Road and this is in the heart of many of the key sights to see in Beijing.
PP Dui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PP Dui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2013 at 11:00pm

Originally posted by PP Dui PP Dui wrote:

Thank you, PP Dui.  I've not selected a hotel yet, as I want to figure out where I could play first.  Then I will choose my hotel! : )  Is Zhongguancun a nice area to stay in?  Do you know if I can contact someone at the club before my trip?  Also (last question), are those rates US dollars, which perhaps seem a little high for China? 

Thanks again!
In Beijing, clubs mostly cost about $5/hr, and $15-25/hour for coaching.  But in other cities( 2nd tier cities,) it cost $30/month to play.

If you PM me, I will be happy to give you a phone number of some former pro player, now coaching people. I don't like to post phone number here.

Zhongguancun is an area of high tech and culture center in the northwest corner of Beijing, a few best universities are near by.  But it 15-20 kilometers from the Tiananmen Square. Plenty of hotels in that area, and lots of restaurants.

Subway is the most convenient and fastest way of getting round (buy a transit card at the subway station).

Taxi can be very slow when there is traffic jam which happens every day in peak hours.

Just wish you a good trip.

Edited by PP Dui - 03/23/2013 at 11:04pm
funplay, enjoy the game
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2013 at 12:12am
Zhongguancun area is relatively close to Olympic venues where 2012 games were held.  As noted, this is where some of the most elite universities in China are located, and this is something of a high-tech corridor.  Bear in mind that 'close' in this case is a relative term, because  Beijing is a very large and sprawling city.  When I have traveled to Beijing, my business has been in this area.  Hotels there will be less expensive (slightly) than in the center of Beijing where most of the main tourist attractions are located. (My personal favorite attractiions in central Beijing are the Temple of Heaven and nearby Beihai lake area, as well as an adjacent neighborhood of Hutongs, traditional Beijing courtyard houses).   Zhongguancun is also closer to the Summer Palace, one of the really nice tourist attractions that is not in the center of the city.  Hotels all over Beijing are very good in general.  As noted by Mr. Dui, it is 20 kilometers from the central parts of the city. You can take subways if you are bit adventurous.  They are often crowded -- insanely so at rush hour -- but then again everything is crowded in Beijing.  You may be tempted to take a cab, and that would be good for getting to the Summer Palace.  Sometimes cabs work fine, they also allow you to see things because they are on the surface. But you always run the risk of getting caught in a traffic jam that almost never ends (can happen at any time of day) and it gets expensive if you do a lot of it in Beijing, which along with Shanghai are much more expensive than rest of China.  It sounds like costs of playing table tennis have increased since last time I was there!!  As I said somewhere before, Beijing is an interesting city, and it is worth getting out to see as much of it as you can.  Make sure to have some duck while there!

Edited by Baal - 03/24/2013 at 12:20am
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2013 at 12:44am
I am from Beijing originally.  I like to play at TianQiao Table Tennis club.  Really good quality of play especially in the evening.  Tournament every weekend.  Plenty of 2000+ players and some are 2400+.  
If you want to buy TT equipment, I recommend Tiyuguan Lu or Shazikuo Tiyu Shangcheng.  You will probably need to ask around to find the shops.  They are not on the main streets.

Jason Z

DHS N656 Dipper Handle Cpen
FH DHS H3Neo Blue Sponge Prov
BH Xiom Sigma II Pro
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2013 at 10:45am
Jason, where is the Tian Qiao club located?  Can you provide the Chinese symbols for this?  Thanks?
danggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 6:25pm
Make u easier

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31627&title=tt-beyond-frontier

Find go Beijing
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2013 at 12:42am
Baal,
天桥 is popular location in Beijing, it was known for years as the place for acrobatics.  The club is located on building 2nd floor right across the street from Tian Qiao Theater off of Beiwei Road.  It is on the West side of the Temple of Heaven.  
Hopefully this is enough information for you to locate.  
Good luck,
Jason
Jason Z

DHS N656 Dipper Handle Cpen
FH DHS H3Neo Blue Sponge Prov
BH Xiom Sigma II Pro
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2013 at 7:13am
Thanks Jason.  Sadly, neither my wife or I can remember the name of the place I played last time in Beijing, south and a little further west of Tian Qiao.  Also had a bunch of 2400 players.  Was in a basement.
ttennisplayer View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttennisplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2017 at 7:58am
Hi, Can anyone given an updated 2017 answer to the question of where are there good table tennis clubs in Beijing for a tourist who is about 1900 level--to play and/or to take lessons?
JeffP View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2017 at 12:47am
I found the Tianqiao club this morning. Location is a little tricky. First, find the big TianQiao Theater on Beiwei Rd. Across Beiwei St. there's a cross street with a green sign saying TIANQIAOSHICHANG XIEJIE. Walk up that street and look to your left. One of the first buildings you'll see on the left has a faded white-and-blue sign saying ICBC. Just left of and below the sign is a nondescript doorway. Go in there and up stairs to the 2nd floor.

It's a nice big room with maybe 20 tables. Cost is 30 RMB per hour if you just walk in. I'm sure the regulars pay a lot less.

Today was a rainy weekday morning, there were maybe 10 players, all seemed to be retirees. Level of play was in the 1300-1600 USATT range, though a couple of the guys could've been a lot better but were holding back because of playing with friends. Evenings could be much tougher. Everyone was very friendly and I was quickly invited to play. Zero English spoken though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic