FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Peterpan review thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Peterpan review thread
    Posted: 04/10/2013 at 6:53pm
All Nexy Peterpan testers, please write your review in this thread.
I will then link your review in the second post.
This first post is for official information about Peterpan.

Description and pictures are copied from the official product page:
Originally posted by nexy.com web site nexy.com web site wrote:

The Peterpan
5 ply wood, burning in the middle.

1. Structure
   This blade is using natural Limba wood for the surface.
   I did not take thermo- process for the surface wood.
   But I burned the other two sencond layers and the center wood.

Burnt two inside layers make the blade faster than other normal blades, not making is heavier.
   And they can make the feeling more vivid.
   But the blade does not vibrate much.

Raw Limba used for the surface gives feeling to embrace the ball as a face, not as a point.
   It makes the touch of the ball deepter together with the second layer's touch,
   which is ayous, and that makes the feeling as a point, supported by the depth.

2. Depth
   Nexy has been always focusing on this item.
   I don't design a blade without checking the depth of the touch.
   This blade has a feeling of the touch deeper than most other blades.
   But I did not make it very deep as I did with Lissom.
   If I say the touch of the Lissom stays in 30% of the total thickness, then I would say that Peterpan has 20% depth.
   This a little big loosened concept of depth makes the blade more generally acceptable.
   Not very different from other blades.
   But still unique and intentionally reorganized in the concept of depth.

3. Variable resilience
   I think this is opt expression for the Nexy's second wave.
   I always tried to maxmise the variability of resilience for the second wave blades,
   such as Lissom, Spear, Amazon, Spartacus, Calix, CalixII and Qabod.
   Now this feature remains with the third wave blades.
   But with third wave, I don't try to maxmise it.
   Rather I want to make it harmonised with all other characters.
   So, this blade does not bounce of the ball when you use it for blocking.
   But it has good power when you try to attack with power.

4. Speed and spin
   Burnt center wood gives bigger power.
   And the burnt second layer gives good spin.
   Nexy tested this spin generation function with the "AYOUS" second layer with the second wave blades enough, and the result was dedicated for this blade, too.
   But the spin and speed were modulated in the hamonised mixture,
   so, the staying moment designed by the blade structure resunlts in good speed and spin together.
   This blade does not show the oposite character of speed and spin.
   Normally, when a blade has good speed, it does not make good spin, and the the opposite way is also true.
   But with this blade, you can see both functions are eqaully updated, compared with other 5-ply blades.

In the conclusion, this is well balanced, and upgraded 5-ply wooden blades.
And I think this will show what other brands thought there could be no more, no better.
I wish you could be satisfied with this blade.

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Sponsored Links

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2013 at 6:54pm
Links to reviews:

Edited by arg0 - 08/03/2013 at 6:24pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
dashmista View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashmista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2013 at 8:03pm
Will do. I think mine shipped yesterday. Any idea on the ETA for "parcel" shipping for Nexy?
Table Tennis Equipment Review FB EJ4LYFE at powerpingpong.com for
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2013 at 8:11pm
Very fast from my exp
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2013 at 8:52pm
I am 1st cousin of Peter Pan and I have no one in my hand Cry
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2013 at 11:44pm
I ordered a towel with my test blade, it shows International Priority for shipping with a tracking #.  
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2013 at 4:37am
Originally posted by dashmista dashmista wrote:

Will do. I think mine shipped yesterday. Any idea on the ETA for "parcel" shipping for Nexy?

In my case, about 1 week, also depending on how long the parcel stays at the customs.

If you chose shipping with EMS, here's how you can track the parcel.

Log on nexy.com, click on "order status" and select your order. In the popup window, check the tracking number, it should be something like "EG 123 456 789 KR".
Then go to http://ems.epost.go.kr:8080/ and select "Cancel" on all pop-up dialog windows.
On the centre-right side, there's a frame labeled EMS. Click on English, and a pop-up window should appear. Again, click "Cancel" on all pop-up dialog windows.
Then write the item number in the box and select the shipping type

Write the code there, without any space, for example "EG123456789KR", click on "Search" (not on "e-mail EMS inquiry"), and again click cancel on all pop-up dialogs.
Detailed tracking information finally appears.

It's actually less complicated than it seems, you just need to select cancel on all pop-up dialogs which, as far as I understood, prompt you to install a software called EasyKeytec on your local machine.

Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 7:06am
NEXY Peterpan Review

Weight : 85g
Handle : FL

First Impressions:

Well-built 5-ply all wood.  High quality construction, no defects anywhere at all.  Very smooth finishing all over, with nice sanded wings.  The handle design is painted, so it feels a bit slippery in the hand.  I thought this would be a distraction, but when playing I didn't notice it at all.

Speed / Overall Feel:

This is on the thick side for a 5-ply, so you would expecting it to be faster than the "standard".  This is definitely the case - faster than something like a Primorac, for example.  It's probably up there with a Korbel for outright pace.  It also comes with a feeling of stability that most 5-ply woods lack.  I would place it in a zone somewhere between a 5-ply and 7-ply for a feeling of solidity when hitting or driving.  It has some flex, but not massively so, and the medium feel leads to a slightly lower than average throw

One nice feature here is the power delivery - you get a real feeling of stability when loading spin on the ball, despite the lower than average weight.  It feels as solid when looping hard as a 10g heavier Korbel, but retains a lighter touch.

It also has very low vibration for a 5-ply wood.  They are there, but they're short and not disruptive at all.  The blade feels incredibly uniform when hitting across the face - big sweet spot.  I generally prefer carbon blades myself, but this is the first 5 ply I've used where I don't miss carbon at all.

Short Game:

Touch shots are good.  Excellent predictable wood feel.  It is more bouncy than I'd expected - again, somewhere in between 5-ply and 7-ply behavior.  Nothing that you can't adjust for when pushing.  The extra bit of bounce here makes short flips and rolls really easy.  This is a real highlight for me - so easy to lift those awkward short backspin serves, and feels very natural when doing so.

Service return is good.  The extra pace was sending returns a bit longer than I would usually like, but you can get a lot of dig on the ball, and it stays very low and skiddy.  Easy to jam an opponent up in the BH corner with sharp, spinny, low pushes.  Needed to close the blade angle down a bit for really short returns to adjust for the bounce though.

Looping:

This isn't a really flexy blade, but the looping feel is brilliant.  It has such a natural feel to the power delivery - it works well from just off the table, and brilliantly from mid distance.  At far distance you need to put the effort in to avoid the return falling short.

The extra stability over a pure looping 5 ply makes loop rallies controlled and predictable.  However, stepping in for a closer counterloop was harder.  It's less forgiving when close in with a fast incoming ball.

Smashing / Punching:

This is a real strength.  The stiff feel makes this a lot easier than most 5 ply blades.  BH punching down the line was effortless and precise.  Excellent.

Blocking:

In general, it performed well.  Very easy to guide "vanilla" loops back with good accuracy.  The extra bounce caught me out a few times though - returns were a bit on the high side, inviting a follow-up attack.

The only problem I had was when blocking really fast loop drives.  Then the bounce tended to be too much, and the ball went long.  I'm usually good with sharp, active blocks, but these needed a softer hand than mine.

Chopping:

I'm not a chopper.  I tend to throw a few BH chops in when out of position.  It wasn't bad - plenty of spin, but a bit too high and easy to smash.

Conclusion:

A pumped-up 5 ply blade, retaining great looping ability while being more stable than most in the market to give excellent smashes.  Notably you get this additional ability at no extra weight penalty.  Mine is 85g, but it feels as stable as a much heavier blade.  Exists in a rare region between 5 and 7 ply behavior, but has the best mix of the two categories I've ever seen.

The only negative is a slightly bouncy over-the-table response.

If you've ever wanted a more solid Primorac, or a more rounded/forgiving Clipper, then this is one to try.

Edited by AndySmith - 04/22/2013 at 6:47pm
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Customs have nabbed mine. Waiting for the vultures to descend now.

Andy that is so funny!! best of luck man.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Customs have nabbed mine. Waiting for the vultures to descend now.
Andy that is so funny!! best of luck man.

Yeah. Right now, there is a customs officer dressed like Captain Hook, wondering what to do with a Peter Pan blade. I don't fancy my chances.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2013 at 1:02pm
Aigooo.....mine entered the US in NY....and is in Cali......not sure why it went to the other side of the US.  Im in Michigan.  So if there is a tester in the Goleta area of Cali....and they get a 80g ST with a nexy towel....that was mine.  haaaa  

I will see if tracking changes tomorrow morning as the USPS has been known to do things that are not .....logical at times.  Or possibly Nexy just sent the wrong tracking # conformation.   

Edited by Rich215 - 04/15/2013 at 1:12pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 9:11am
OK, UK Customs must be reading this thread.  Blade arrived today.  Bit of bad timing - my regular training night is Monday, so I've just missed it.

Early impressions are good!  Well made, as usual.  Bouncing a ball gives a very neutral feel, medium hardness.  Tone is very even across the whole blade, so it should have a very stable feel.  Looking forward to getting it on a table asap.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Aigooo.....mine entered the US in NY....and is in Cali......not sure why it went to the other side of the US.  Im in Michigan.  So if there is a tester in the Goleta area of Cali....and they get a 80g ST with a nexy towel....that was mine.  haaaa  

I will see if tracking changes tomorrow morning as the USPS has been known to do things that are not .....logical at times.  Or possibly Nexy just sent the wrong tracking # conformation.   

Goleta is 30 minutes from me...maybe I got lucky after all. Clap
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 9:00am
Just speezed in 1 hour on the robot.

The ball feel reminds me of the BTY Primorac when over the table and in slower shots.  It's a bit faster than the Prim, blocks and hits better, but has less flex.  Speed-wise it seems to be in between the Prim and the Korbel, which is a useful place to be.

As metalone has mentioned in the Clan thread, the sweet spot is large for an all-wood, and in conjunction with the stiffness leds to a very linear power delivery.  Will have to see how it plays away from the table at my next practice night.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Goleta is 30 minutes from me...maybe I got lucky after all. Clap

Sorry Toprank....the luck gods have let you down......LOL    The Nexy package has now finished its 4 day air tour of NY to CA and back to MI now.   I should have the blade soon and will glue up some Rakza soft max on both sides to test tonight at my club. 

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 3:15pm
What a great day, received the Nexy Peterpan blade and also the package from arg0 with the Nexy shoes, (thanks much for that Nexy contest!)   Thumbs Up 

I will comment further on the shoes after I break them in around the house then go play with them next week. Initial impressions on the Nexy shoes......very comfortable compared to my Mizuno wave drive 4's and as light....slightly wider. 

Let me just say that Andy gives a very complete breakdown of information and I can not really add to his excellent technical review format and date he did as it echos pretty much what I feel about the Peterpan as well.   I will give you my general feeling and opinions as I use different rubbers on the blade.

Initial impressions of the Peterpan ST 79g, 157mm x 151mm. 

First thing I noticed was how well the finish is on this blade.  I do not think there is any better. The sealing was perfect...not to thin and uneven like many manufactures sluff off if they bother to seal a blade.  The wings have a slight bevel on them like a well finished Cpen would have, but not near as deep or extreme. This was a nice surprise for me because the first thing I do when I get a new blade is to lightly sand or round off the wings for comfort. 

Handle though thinner than other Nexy ST handles seem to me, was finished off well with no rough edges at all.  The graphics on the handle area actually painted on the surface, something I have not yet seen done by any manufacture.  This does not bother me at all as I use a grip wrap and never care what a handle looks like anyway.  The important aspect of the handle to me is fit and feel.  I like this handle even though it is thinner than I would like.  It has nice flat surfaces on the facing sides which I like a lot.  I wish it was slightly wider and thicker and it would be perfect for my hand size and preference... and not far off from a better handle than the Color ST handle, (which I hold as one of the best ST handles from Nexy I have tried). 

After gluing up my used sheets of Rakza soft max on both sides, bounce testing with a ball out of my hand gave me the sense this is not going to be a ALL+/OFF- blade at all possibly.  Hitting the ball up and down a few feet off the blade seemed even faster than what the rubbers did with the Spartacus.  But this will be no indication of actual play obviously.  It's just that I was sort of surprised at the speed sense I got this way from all the past blades and rubbers I set up with the softer Rakza.  Hitting the ball off my kitchen wall for a minute is also something I do real quick after the bounce test, and this gave me an impression of high control and much faster than I expected.  

I was basically surprised with the initial sense of the blade just messing around like this after gluing it up.  Though I requested a 80g ST, a few days later I wondered if that was going to be way too light for a 5ply all wood blade.  It does not seem slow at all though even with the softer rubbers on it, but I will be playing with it tonight and see if my initial impressions ring true or not.  Im pretty excited to see how this setup plays. 

AFTER 1st PLAY:

I only got to use the Peterpan for 1 match last because of match ups I had.

After the first game I used it for, I quickly realized that this blade would work better with stiffer sponge that my semi worn out Rakza soft max.  But initial impressions were very close, faster than other 5ply wood blades, very solid feeling for a 79g blade, and little vibrations.   This design is very unique in what you feel when hitting compared to all the other 5 ply wood blades I have or have used.  I also think the arc/throw angle is lower than other 5 ply wood blades.  It is only slightly stiff feeling to me as the soft max Rakza may have dampened this sense for me.  I think the regular Rakza will be much better and offer more spin and even a tighter arc to get the ball back down while looping. 

Others who have commented are pretty much spot on, though we all need more time and also see how different rubbers effect the outcome of this blade.   It seems like it will be quite versatile as far as what will work with this blade because of how firm/stiff it is.  I wonder if someone will be testing LP's on it?  Seems like it would work well there too.

AFTER 2nd PLAY:

I just tested the blade again for 1 match at my club.  I was playing a guy I usually am pretty close to but have to work hard to stay up with his service, then counter harder loops and drives.  He is a good player for me to use for testing but others I played were not because of lower ability levels and their style of play.

This time since I did not like the results of the max Rakza soft on both sides, I used Adidas Top Secret/Ultra rubber on the BH red max, and then Palio Macro Era 2.1 black on FH stiffer version.  I wanted to add some weight and punch to see how the blade responded with looping/driving and then also to see if the short game suffered because of it. I wanted to use a very different setup of rubbers to see if the blade changed drastically in overall feel and performance like some blades and rubber combos can .....it did not really change the feel of the balde to me, though my play with it suffered in some aspects.  The Peterpan still felt like a very high quality all wood 5ply that is more than fast enough and has a big sweet spot and great control.  If I would of given this setup of rubbers a month or so, I might be able to adapt to it and play decently, it just did not appear to be a good setup for my style of play as compared to my normal setup.

My words taken from the Adidas Top Secret/Ultra thread.

I used the Adidas TS rubber prior to this on my Spartacus for a few matches.   I still find this top secret test rubber to be very slow and dead feeling.  There is no normal tensor feel with it to me.  It sort of feels like a non tensor soft but dense sponge to me.  I love the top sheet though, its very soft and I can get tons of spin on pushes that left opponents dumping them in the net quite often.  With this rubber it is easy to leave very short pushes because it is not bouncy or fast and tends to absorb speed and energy of incoming shots making it pretty forgiving.

But on the other hand, I had a hard time driving and looping with it.  Throw is lower so I overcompensated with more speed and power with shots.....that usually left the ball long or way to high.  I had problems with getting backhand loops to arc back down quick enough. 

The Palio macro era was totally opposite...very bouncy and fast.  I have not used this sheet in a long time and find it to be much more bouncy than Rakza and harder to control.  So by using these 2 very different rubbers left me scrambling to control my shots during game play.  The Adidas rubber did play somewhat slower on the Peterpan than it did on the Spartacus for sure....but still I didn't like this rubber.  It just does not feel like a tensor at all to me.   I would like to try this top sheet on Rakza reg. sponge though. 

Thoughts after still fairly limited time with the Nexy Peterpan blade and 2nd set of test rubbers:

Using these two very different rubbers now changed my play ability, but did not change the overall feel of the blade and I think it is still one of the better 5 pyl all wood blades I have used, in my top 3 I would say with my Galaxy E2 and OSP Virtuoso OFF- I used to have.  The Peterpan has excellent feel/touch but also is fast and packs good punch when needed, even at the light weight of 79g ST I have for testing.  I do wonder how a heavier version might feel....like 86-87g.  

I am hesitant still about taking off my fav rubbers Rakza 2.0 reg from my Spartacus because I do not have any back up new rubbers.  I like the Spartacus so much and do not want to disturb my #1 setup.  If I get some new Rakza, I will then try the used ones (but still in good shape) on the Peterpan and can give it a good comparison with the Spartacus for my ability and play type.  I have some other rubbers that I could test with on the Peterpan, but they are not tensors.  Mark V 2.0 and some Mark V AD max (soft sponge mark v).  I might try those next.

So at this point, I am searching for a rubber that will compliment my play the best for this blade.  I feel that there is something better than what I have tried so far.....maybe the Rakza reg sponge 2.0 or max.

May 15th,  THIRD FULL PLAY AFTER ONLY USING THE PETERPAN FOR FULL CLUB NIGHT. 

Ok, after briefly trying the blade last week with some softer rubbers.....it was not good so I bailed on using it for a small tournament at another club and went back to my Spartacus with Rakza 7 reg 2.0 on both sides as usual. 

Tonight I put the Rakza 7 regular sponge 2.0 rubbers I have been now using for some time on the Peterpan, and finally used this setup for all games the entire night.  I played many matches and 4 were matches that allowed me to test with players that were aggressive and some above my ability and some close to my ability. So in effect, this was the first time I played only with the Peterpan all night and had a more clear idea of this blade.

I agree that this blade is faster than the Spartacus.....and feels kind of like a 7 ply blade in some regards.  It was a handful at first with short play close to the net and pushing with the reg Rakza 7 rubbers.  I lost the feel, touch and spin ability in the short game as well as service.  So I had to relax and adapt with that as the night progressed.  My blocking, looping, punching, and off the table play was much easier and effective!  You can play well off the table with this blade for sure.  I only had to get used to closing the blade more and using less wrist action to compensate from playing the Spartacus.  I could feel the blade being much stiffer and faster now in comparison to the Spartacus with the same Rakza 7 rubbers.  With the softer Rakza 7 and Adidas test/ultra rubber, it was hard to tell if the Peterpan was much faster at all than the Spartacus.   I can say that you will give up spin and short play touch with the Peterpan, but loose speed and power with the Spartacus.   So with those 2 blades in mind.......pick which way you want to go with that as a general assessment.

I had so much more confidence with hitting heavy backhand loops off the table with so much more power from the Peterpan.  I had to change the blade angle more on the FH side looping though.  I am normally a more aggressive BH looper than FH, but as long as I slowed down and used the stiffness of the blade I could adapt slowly to generating more power on both wings.  I still need much more time to access my accuracy with loops and blocking using the Peterpan.  I will now continue to use the Peterpan to play with for awhile and see what becomes of it with my overall play ability with club members I normally play all the time.  But mostly I can say that the Peterpan with the Rakza 7 regular sponge rewards more aggressive play than the Spartacus as it is stiffer and the pace it generates with less power and movement is more deadly it seems. 

The biggest hurdle for me to overcome now is the loss of feeling, overall balance, and flex I still like with the same rubbers and the Spartacus. Even though my Peterpan and Spartacus are almost the
same weight (79/80g)....they do not have the same balance and feel with Rakza 7 2.0.  But like most of us probably find out at times.....what feels good is not always the most rewarding in scoring points in real matches.   That is why we EJ so much I think....haaaa    Wink

For now, I can say I only need to own and use these two blades, even though I still have many.  The only other setup I will carry in my bag is a really fast setup for 4-table play (search google for "4er Tisch"   way fun I must say if you get a chance to to this).  

More later as I get more play time on the Peterpan and really give it a decent chance now. 

Edited by Rich215 - 05/15/2013 at 11:43pm
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 3:41pm
Was I supposed to be one of the testers of this blade? And if so, how do I go about getting it?
dashmista View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashmista Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 4:33pm
Mine just arrived!

Edited by dashmista - 04/17/2013 at 4:33pm
Table Tennis Equipment Review FB EJ4LYFE at powerpingpong.com for
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Was I supposed to be one of the testers of this blade? And if so, how do I go about getting it?

PM sent bro!   Ying Yang

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2013 at 8:10pm
The 86 gram straight handle version of the Peterpan sent to me for testing; arrived on Tuesday lunchtime and my inital impressions were :

1) The straight handle of the Peterpan shares the same dimensions, as the straight handle of the Calix.

2) I'm pleased to see the shoulders on the Peterpan have been rounded off and that also contributes to the handle feeling comfortable in the hand.

Unlike the Lissom straight handle, which I found uncomfortable to play with initially because the shoulders felt sharp; I won't need to use sandpaper to make any adjustments to the Peterpan handle.

3) When doing the bounce test; the tone was different to an equivalent weight blade, with an Ayous core, Ayous medial plies and Limba outer plies.

As a result; I looked closer at the core wood and noticed the grain of the wood resembled Kiri.

Although I haven't asked Nexy what the core wood is; a Kiri core hardened by Burn technology, would make sense and when coupled with Ayous medial plies hardened by Burn technology too; it would help explain why the Peterpan has a stable feel to it and also explain why the blade has a feeling of inherent power within the core, when you bounce the ball harder.

4) It's about 6.1mm thick and a well balanced blade too.

I'll be putting some rubbers on it to start testing it over the weekend.

Edited by Peter C - 04/19/2013 at 5:47am
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 7:17am
My initial impressions on 78 g Cpen:

- Very well built blade with attractive design. Rounded edges on shoulders is a nice touch and allow playing with it without sanding.

- After gluing H3 Provincial and Rakza7 Soft 2.0mm it feels balanced just right in my hand - not head heavy and not too much weight in the handle.

- Bouncing the ball gives impression of really large sweet spot, which is normal for a composite blade, but very unusual for 5-ply all-wood blade. When go to the table and start hitting real balls, this impression grows into 100% sureness - it is really nice to see and feel pretty homogeneous and predictable balls no matter the point where the ball hits the paddle.

- No unpleasant vibrations. Feedback is very clear.

- Short game is simply marvelous - everything is under control, I know exactly the place I am going to land the ball, nice and low. I want a flick - no problem, the blade adds some extra kick that still lands the ball on the table, but with more speed. I want to push really heavy  - no problem, I feel how the ball loads with spin and goes to the other side, very low and very spinny.

- I consider that extra kick one the best things about Peterpan - it is very much like a kick-down function of an automatic gearbox, it adds quite a bit of power when you really need it and I don't feel loosing control at the same time. Very nice. Also, the feeling of the kick is much better than on carbon blades because it is more natural. The only thing I should adjust to probably because of that kick is making loops with more closed paddle - it is similar to 1-ply WRC blades in this respect.

OK, these were my initial impressions I got from using it a bit at my office with robot and a training partner. There is no much room there to test behaviour on various distances from the table - this will be tested at the club tonight. I'm eagerly waiting for it - so far, it looks like a very very promising blade. Thank you Nexy for giving a chance to test such a gem!

Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 1:23pm

Nexy Peterpan Review:

First and foremost, I would like to thank Nexy for selecting me to test the Peterpan Blade.  I requested one at 82grams in Cpen=), also ordered another blade & got a FREE pair of Nexy Sox!  Took only less than 7 business days to get to USA from Korea.  Excellent Service, and communication.  I will definitely order again.

I will be comparing this blade with DHS656, DHS HK, 729 Z1, Yasaka MEO jtta, and Nexy Peterpan,   

First Impressions: The craftsmanship of this blade is Excellent!  High quality wood grains, no splinters or rough edges.  Shoulders smoothly sanded.  The Handle design is painted on as mentioned by another forum member, whereas it’s smudging after +2 weeks of play.  I thought the top ply was Ash Wood looking at pics posted online, but it’s actually Limba… My favorite Outer Ply for Blades=).  Standard Cpen Face at ~161x150mm.  I measured thickness between 6.1-6.2mm (Caliper is not so accurate).  The Limba gives good dwell, and added thickness produces power.  I’ve been searching for blade with these characteristics for quite some time…Similar blades to Tibhar’s Powerwood, Xiom Aria, Stiga’s Offensive Wood NCT, and 729 Z-1 (too much vibration at the handle, but great blade if you find a heavier one, and make sure to seal them!!!).  I have played with Yinhe’s U1-VB (it has burnt plies, similar to Ludeack) just briefly, and notice the stiffness of that blade comparing to Clipper CR.  I assume E-3 VB is similar blade to Peterpan.

I paired this blade with Grip-S (Not training version, without tuning layer), and Adidas Top Secret (Tenzone Ultra).  Total setup weight about 179grs which is within my normal range.  I changed forehand rubber to my main FH rubber Moon Pro Tacky since this will be my official backup blade. 

In-Action Sessions:  Warming up FH-FH hitting produces excellent feel, and I can feel the stiffness of the blade which is surprising for a 5ply.  Shots are fairly linear.  When transition to looping, the blade & rubber combination give excellent dwell just like my main blade.  Something that was unspoken for about Moon Pro Tacky is that it has excellent feel.  I used 39° which is similar to H3’s 39-40°.  This blade is also bouncier than any other 5plys that I have tried or played with.  Very similar bounce to Yasaka’s MEO.  They both produce a high pitch when knocking on my skull.  Loops are super spinny, and drives are very accurate and fast.  I do notice the slightly lowered Arc on my loops. 

Game Characteristics: I have been playing with this setup exclusively since I changed to my FAV FH rubber.  Been playing games & drilling.  Tenzone Ultra on my backhand is unstable because it requires active stroke, and I’m not that advance yet.  The bounciness of the blade & rubber is a hard combination for me right now.  However, when I do get in position (or the ball comes to that position=P), the shots are pretty decent from BH side.  I don’t have a permanent BH rubber yet, so I will just grind it out for now.  As for other aspects, short pushes are manageable, but make sure to pay attention to the throw.  Also noticed the drastic improvement in smashing with this blade.  Short flick smashes have crept in my game because of the confidence I get from this combo.  Away from table play is unstable to me, but I am trying to reform my game to closer to table play.  But it’s something to consider if you are a lobber or like to play away from table.  Serves are fairly easy either short or long.  Blocking is pretty easy on my FH, other than the bounciness on my BH.  This blade didn’t really help me beat better players, and I didn’t lose to players that I’m supposedly better than.  I believe with more training and playing, this blade with grow along with my game=)

Summary: This blade is a beefed up version of Primorac (probably like Primorac 2000: 5ply ~6.4mm).  It’s suitable for beginners to advance level players, it’s very easy to play with.  Most importantly this is a blade that exuberate endless amounts of potential.  Nexy Peterpan is for your 5ply lovers that offers marvelous feel, excellent dwell, powerful as 7plys. 

I’m glad I was chosen to be a tester, Thanks again Nexy.  You’ve made a blade that I can play best with…

Arg0, Sign me up!  I want to be in the Clan! =D

Overall: I would rate Peterpan against other 5plys I have used or played with.  All blades are paired with Chinese Tacky Rubbers on FH, and Non Tacky on BH.  These are IMO, so don’t take it personally=S

Speed(1st & Max Gear): Peterpan > 729 Z1 = MEO jtta ≥ OSP Expert > Ebenholz V ≥ DHS 656 = DHS HK

Spin Generation: 729 Z1 = Peterpan ≥ DHS HK = OSP Expert > MEO jtta> Ebenholz V > DHS 656

Medium Speed Gear:  DHS 656 > Peterpan > 729 Z1 = MEO jtta = OSP Expert > Ebenholz V  > DHS HK

Feel:  729 Z1 = DHS HK > Peterpan = MEO jtta = Ebenholz V  = OSP Expert > DHS 656

Control(Placement, defense): 729 Z1 > DHS HK ≥ Peterpan = MEO jtta = Ebenholz V > OSP Expert > DHS 656

That’s all folks…Video posted below

Video Here

I have played with TB ZLF, and find that Peterpan is definitely more of a looping blade than ZLF.  They have similar stiffness, but Peterpan has much more dwell...From what I remembered, ZLF has an even more flatter arc than Peterpan.  Again, just my humble opinion from experience.

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 05/04/2013 at 2:30am
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2013 at 2:12pm
Comments moved to my post above....

Edited by Rich215 - 04/25/2013 at 2:01pm
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 6:10am
Sunday, I put my Peterpan into the real life test and played our Sunday tournament, even though my friend and training partner suggested to play with my primary setup because he felt that I still need time to get used to Peterpan. I just decided to replace H3Prov with TG2 Neo which is a bit slower but spinnier. The result I posted was the best in my TT life - in the first RR, I defeated many times winner of the tourney and took the 1st place in the group and played in the top-8 (out of 40+) final round robin. Before that, I was once playing in 9-16 final RR about 2 weeks ago.

So, my initial impressions about the blade were confirmed - it is a high performance offensive blade for playing at the close- and mid- distance from the table. Its specialty is top-spin attack (high spin/vary spin/high range of speeds), short game and blocking (great control and precision). Feeling is fantastic!  Smashing high balls with TG2N on FH is still a problem if no spin imparted with the hit, but adding even a little of spin immediately helps. No problem smashing with R7S (I ripped several winners smashing with RPB), I guess I have to get used to twiddle/change grip yet.

So far so good. I am going to play with the current setup for a couple of weeks to get finally used to it and complete the review and then try the blade with various pips - I feel it can be great for pips players too because of its rigidity and very good control.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2013 at 8:31am
Originally posted by stefashka stefashka wrote:

...The result I posted was the best in my TT life...

Awesome - congratulations. Smile
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 3:42am
Updated my first post with a review.  Still working on some aspects of it though.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 2:24pm
updated my review info post by condensing my separate postings in the one big post above.  
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 5:55pm

It's time to start my own review of Peterpan. Unfortunately, I have little time for table tennis, lately, so this is taking longer than expected.

I'll briefly describe the blade first, and then post my impressions gathered during some initial trainings. I happen to have two sets of identical rubbers, so it's easy to compare blades.

What I did in the first two trainings is a three way comparison between Peterpan, OSP Virtuoso, and Nittaku Latika. The reason for choosing these blades are that I'm looking for an upgrade to my Lissom. I'm still perfectly happy with it, but at times I wish it were a bit faster, so I've started EJing again.

Appearance: much has been written in other reviews about the anatomy of Peterpan in other reviews, so there's little gain in repeating it. My Peterpan weighs 85g and the ST handle cross section measures 28 x 20.5 mm. That's a bit smaller than Lissom's ST, which measures 28.2 x 22 mm. Peterpan's ST handle reminds me of Calix: it is very smooth and has perfectly flat upper and lower surfaces, that terminate with a sharpish edge. As I said when reviewing Calix, the feel in hand is like a precision instrument: due to the flat surfaces, you get perfect feedback about the angle you're holding the blade. Nevertheless, personally, I like smooth transitions better.

In comparison, OSP Virtuoso SQST and Nittaku Latika ST have squarer and rounder cross sections, respectively, meaning that there is less difference between handle width and height. Between the three, I liked Peterpan's handle most.

Anatomy and ball bounce test: Peterpan is made of Limba, Ayous, maybe Kiri, Ayous, Limba. All inner plies are "burned". The ball bounce test immediately hinted at Peterpan having medium stiffness. Stiffness is in any case higher than in most 5-ply all-wood blades.
The pitch of the ball (fundamental frequency is approx 1360 Hz), which is indicative of stiffness, is similar though slightly higher than for my old Acoustic, OSP Virtuoso+ and Darker Legato PC (1330-1340 Hz). It is clearly higher than for other 5-ply all-wood blades with limba outer (Latika = 1280 Hz, Virtuoso = 1250 Hz, Energy Wood = 1200 Hz). As I usually tend to prefer blades with lower pitch (1200-1250 Hz), I approached Peterpan with some caution.

... this will take some time to write, but if you're only interested in the relative ranking, these are my impressions ...

Balance: Latika (head heavy), Virtuoso and Peterpan (centre-balanced)
Throw: Virtuoso > Peterpan ~= Latika
Feel (hard is higher, soft is lower): Latika ~= Peterpan > Virtuoso
Stiffness: Peterpan > Latika > Virtuoso
Speed (max): Peterpan > Latika > Virtuoso
Block: Latika ~= Peterpan > Virtuoso
Chop/push: Peterpan > Virtuoso > Latika
Short game: Peterpan ~= Virtuoso > Latika

I was planning to compare Peterpan to Lissom next, but AndySmith lent me his Spartacus (thanks Andy!), so I'm comparing Peterpan to Spartacus next. I also got my Amazon back, so I may compare it to Amazon as well.

---

Update 27 June 2013.
So, here I am again. Over the last weeks I have played and trained alternatively with Peterpan and Lissom. I have also trained a bit with Amazon and Spartacus, but as it soon turned out, my current rubbers, which I really like btw, don't go along well with carbon blades. Since I did not want to factor in differences due to rubbers, I only shortly played with them and I prefer to leave those blades out of the comparison.

Balance: Latika (head heavy); Virtuoso, Peterpan, and Lissom (centre-balanced)
ST handle size: Latika > Lissom > Virtuoso SQST ~= Peterpan
Throw: Virtuoso > Lissom > Peterpan ~= Latika
Feel (hard is higher, soft is lower): Latika ~= Peterpan > Virtuoso > Lissom
Stiffness: Peterpan > Latika > Lissom > Virtuoso
Speed (max): Peterpan > Latika > Virtuoso ~= Lissom
Block: Latika ~= Peterpan > Lissom > Virtuoso
Flick (combination of balance and stiffness): Peterpan > Lissom ~= Virtuoso > Latika
Chop/push: Lissom > Peterpan > Virtuoso > Latika
Short game: Lissom > Virtuoso ~= Peterpan > Latika

I was really tempted to adopt Peterpan as my main blade from now on. Eventually, I decided to stay with Lissom. Firstly, because I'm so much used to it, so I know exactly how it reacts, second, because for my allround-style game I prefer Lissom's mix of features: Lissom is more forgiving close to the table and my returns are more spinny overall with Lissom. On the other hand, Peterpan is stiffer and has lower throw: close to the table, flicks and blocks are sharper with Peterpan; it is also more suited to an aggressive looper that combines spin and speed from mid distance.

Edited by arg0 - 06/27/2013 at 1:48am
Join the Nexy Clan!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 7:22pm
I received the Peterpan; I have a tourney this weekend (the 1st since July 28th) and will focus on the Peterpan next week.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 8:03pm
so Nexy was giving away this blade for free?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic