Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Omega V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Not sure about the blade selection thing, but OVA has a medium throw on drives which gets higher as you brush more.  So when going loop-loop from distance you have to remember to brush more rather than driving hard into the ball
Agreed.

But, to me, intuitively, control means that if I introduce an error in my stroke (like driving harder, for example), how much does the output (like throw angle, for example) change from ideal.

So, I find rubbers in which throw angles varies more (as compared to in other rubbers) while driving vs brushing to be, in some sense, more difficult to control. MX-P and T05 have a fairly constant throw angle - there is more synergy in usage of topsheet as well as sponge in generating spin.

Don't get me wrong, everything works perfectly with OVA for me during drills. But, in a game against a fast player, when one is put under time pressure, T05 & MX-P hold up better for me on that parameter (I have one less thing to worry about).

That being said, I still feel OVA would be amazing using a flexible blade as the flex ameliorates the mid-distance issue to some extent.

And to reiterate, both OVA and OVT are fantastic with plastic balls (in the sense that the quality of spin has minimal drop-off when you change from celluloid to plastic).

So when going loop-loop from distance you have to remember to brush more rather than driving hard into the ballwhich goes back to the chinese rubber way of playing I suppose.  

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The bottom line is that OVA is for brush loopers but it also supports Euro looping decently.

Both of the above quotes seem to imply that the Chinese brush almost always.

Watch this with the sound on & hear the ball contact. They brush on opening loops and on no-spin balls at table but it seems to be more about driving using sponge from mid-distance.

Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

So when going loop-loop from distance you have to remember to brush more rather than driving hard into the ballwhich goes back to the chinese rubber way of playing I suppose.  

The bottom line is that OVA is for brush loopers but it also supports Euro looping decently.

Both of the above quotes seem to imply that the Chinese brush almost always.

Watch this with the sound on & hear the ball contact. They brush on opening loops and on no-spin balls at table but it seems to be more about driving using sponge from mid-distance.

I know what you're getting at, but I'm not trying to compare with what the best players on the planet are doing with their boosted rubber, or discuss what they do.  I'm talking about what amateur players do with unboosted, tacky rubber in the real world.  

From distance you have to brush more to generate sling and arc from the topsheet, or hit harder with more body effort.  It isn't textbook or optimal at all, and you're totally correct in that it makes it more complicated (i.e. more error prone and more tiring).  I think OVA suffers far less from this in comparison with actual tacky rubber though and just needs that bit more effort in comparison with something MX-P, whereas using an unboosted sheet of PF4 from distance is pretty much Guantanamo-levels of torture IMO. 

I only really mention this to make it clear that although I love OVA, it won't suit everyone, and you've nailed the reason why already.  Players who habitually brush loop a lot from anywhere will get the most out of it, and I mostly see amateur tacky rubber users do that, hence my comment about "chinese rubber way of playing".  I certainly don't want to get into pro-level chinese v euro stroke mechanics because nonsense and reasons.

You have made me curious about what it's like on a more flexible blade though and I'll stick it on a Virtuoso once my season is over at the end of next week.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 1:50pm
AndySmith, you are such a diplomat.

Slevin, you seriously think Zhang Jike or Ma Long will have problems using OVA from distance? In the end, the bottom line is how you want to play. I usually play within a metre of the table. If I go beyond that, I am already in too much trouble to discuss the point.

If you want to confuse yourself with Zhang Jike or Ma Long, go ahead. We had a similar discussion wrt to MX-S.  And just because someone is making thick contact does not mean he is not brushing.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/16/2016 at 2:16pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 2:38pm

You have made me curious about what it's like on a more flexible blade though and I'll stick it on a Virtuoso once my season is over at the end of next week.

Andy: my first exposure to OVA was against a young guy who had the rubber on a 5-ply flexible wood blade. He was throwing powerful grenades from the back. Try it with your V- and let us know how it is.

Slevin, you seriously think Zhang Jike or Ma Long will have problems using OVA from distance
What makes you think that I think that they would have problems with any normal rubber from mid-distance? Please don't assume what others think.

The video was for a different topic: whether Chinese players mostly brush or not.

If you want to confuse yourself with Zhang Jike or Ma Long, go ahead. We had a similar discussion wrt to MX-S.

What? My stating an opinion that OVA has lower throw from mid-distance => I think I'm ML or ZJK??? Where the f does that even come from? 

OVA does suit a close to the table brush looping player like yourself, BTW. And it is great on passive serve receives.

Q: Is the performance drop-off in humid conditions minimal?

To fellow 'Murican residents: PM me if you want to buy brand new black, max OVA from me.

Edited by slevin - 03/16/2016 at 2:44pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Andy: my first exposure to OVA was against a young guy who had the rubber on a 5-ply flexible wood blade. He was throwing powerful grenades from the back. Try it with your V- and let us know how it is.

Slevin, you seriously think Zhang Jike or Ma Long will have problems using OVA from distance
What makes you think that I think that they would have problems with any normal rubber from mid-distance? Please don't assume what others think.

The video was for a different topic: whether Chinese players mostly brush or not.

If you want to confuse yourself with Zhang Jike or Ma Long, go ahead. We had a similar discussion wrt to MX-S.

What? My stating an opinion that OVA has lower throw from mid-distance => I think I'm ML or ZJK??? Where the f does that even come from? 

OVA does suit a close to the table brush looping player like yourself, BTW. And it is great on passive serve receives.

Q: Is the performance drop-off in humid conditions minimal?

To fellow 'Murican residents: PM me if you want to buy brand new black, max OVA from me.

OVA Is a very normal rubber - I posted the video to show this,
Cybershape Carbon
sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 9:21pm
To someone who has used both rubbers, how would you compare the catapult/bounciness of O5Asia to O4Asia?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by sspark80 sspark80 wrote:

To someone who has used both rubbers, how would you compare the catapult/bounciness of O5Asia to O4Asia?

OVA has lower catapult and less bounciness than OIVA.
sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2016 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by sspark80 sspark80 wrote:

OVA has lower catapult and less bounciness than OIVA.

Thanks, Andy.  That's helpful to know.
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2016 at 6:55am
Hey everyone,

We at Tabletennis11.com also have reviewed the XIOM Omega V series rubbers recently. Please have a look: www.blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-v-pro-euro-asia-tour-reviews
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2016 at 8:42am
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Hey everyone,

We at Tabletennis11.com also have reviewed the XIOM Omega V series rubbers recently. Please have a look: www.blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-v-pro-euro-asia-tour-reviews

That link keeps popping me back to the main store page
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2016 at 9:11am
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2016 at 5:04pm
How omega v tour compared to mx-p, tenergy 05, fastarc g1?
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2016 at 4:33am
Omega V ASIA is the best rubber I ever used so far. 
Slightly slower than Europe, but with higher arc, more spin, more control.
I play with it on Nittaku Latika.

Edited by YBFlash - 08/09/2016 at 4:34am
Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
andrei2412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrei2412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2016 at 1:31pm
Omega  v europe is good rubber for back hand. I am using on mizutani zlc blade.
I personally didn't like omega tour v on forehand, but not tried on backhand yet as i stuck brand new dhs blue sponge for a time been.Just to summarise i put 05 on backhand and immediately want to take off and put omega europe back on. I find easier to block and punch with omega v europe than tenergy or evolution elp or mxp version. Donic rubbers are next to be tested, tried few on someone else batts and hated straight away. 

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2017 at 5:37pm
after reading all 10 pages still don't get which one from Omega V rubbers has lower throw :(
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2017 at 6:12pm
OVA
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2017 at 8:21am
Well none of them has actually low throw. Personally I feel OVP has the lowest.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 8:33pm
I think people should take a look at the Dynamic Friction upgrade versions of OVA and OVT.  I am still testing OVA and will report back in a month but the DF version was an upgrade on the original that I didn't know about but which I think makes it significantly grippier which was exactly what one reviewer was requesting...

http://blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-v-pro-euro-asia-tour-reviews
Cybershape Carbon
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2018 at 2:08am

I think people should take a look at the Dynamic Friction upgrade versions of OVA and OVT.  I am still testing OVA and will report back in a month but the DF version was an upgrade on the original that I didn't know about but which I think makes it significantly grippier which was exactly what one reviewer was requesting...

http://blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-v-pro-euro-asia-tour-reviews

OVP is the only one that doesn't have dynamic friction. All of the OVII rubbers have it though.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic