Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Omega V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:04pm
Well, best to discount those first impressions. I have high hopes though!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

Zetro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 4:01am
hi andy,
i got my OVP yesterday and i mounted it on an innerforce ALC --> OVP (FH) and T80FX (BH)
what is your style of play?

i had a short practice, and i found it a little bit mushy...probably needs some break-in time... i was getting frustrated on the performance... then, i managed to win against a long time opponent who beats me all the time.

coming from tenzone ultra, i find it hard to place the ball where i like. probably my stroke, but definitely it has loads of spin on it...will give it more time...

Primorac carbon /DHSIII Provincial /DHS 3-50 Even though i'm fast...i'm still slow.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 4:36am
I'm a fh looper, BH hitter.

I didn't like my first ovp session either. Felt a little wild. Needed a bit of time to get used to it, or perhaps the rubber does need to break in. My second session was the one. Love at second sight.

Tenzone Ultra is a super precise and accurate rubber. OVP has a softer topsheet, and a lot more grab at low speeds. Your accuracy will probably suffer initially. OVP is more like T05, but with a better short game.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 5:31am
Had a full session with OVE last night.

My first session was on a blade with OVP on the other side. I used the OVE on the BH side. I tried this for another 30 mins last night, but it just doesn't suit me on the BH wing. It's fast, and it doesn't seem to work well for me when I'm topspinning over the table.

So I moved to my other setup, which is T80-FX on the BH and OVE on the FH. This worked much better for me. OVE doesn't have the immediate grab of OVP, but it's very precise and sharp. OVE is much easier in blocking, countering, service return. It is a little bit fast at times, and it feels like the ball shoots off the rubber before I can finish my stroke. Probably timing issues - I'm used to OVP now, which has a big feeling of dwell.

I won't be using OVE on the BH side. I think it's going to be T80-fx for the rest of the summer season. I'm unsure about the FH side though. I'm surprised by how different OVE and OVP are. I can definitely get higher quality topspin out of OVP, but it's more demanding to use. OVE makes everything easier, but it's a bit fast, bouncy, and less dangerous when looping.
Zetro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 2:39am
i had an hour session ysterday with OVP. i like the speed and spin i'm getting out of it. i find it forgiving on my very awkward strokes but the rubber seems to be sensitive to incoming spin.

one more thing...i noticed no OVP in the official XIOM site...i wonder why....
Primorac carbon /DHSIII Provincial /DHS 3-50 Even though i'm fast...i'm still slow.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 3:16am
A comparison of OVT with m1 or mxp or t05? Thanks
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 9:59am
That exact same review has been done before (see my comparison in here):
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=59888&PN=3&title=xiom-omega-v

Edited by slevin - 07/11/2014 at 10:01am
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 10:11am
tt11 should soon have Omega V Asia in stock

PLASTIC BALL READY - FOR TOP PROFESSIONALS DYNAMIC FRICTION AGAINST SLIPPERINESS UNPRECEDENTED CONTROL AND EXTREME ANGLE SHOTS Dynamic Friction Technology is developed for the Plastic ball. Plastic ball will replace the Celluloid ball from 2014 in official games. Performance parameters of the Plastic vary from the Celluloid, which mostly impacts on the professional players. Dynamic Friction Technology originally adopted from the Snow Tire physics makes the unprecedented level of friction on OMEGA V. Dynamic Friction of the table tennis is different from the normal friction because the rubber in the fast movement should make the proper friction against the also fast moving balls, without the decline of repulsive power. Dynamic Friction rubber grabs the slippery Plastic balls far more firm and solid at the contact. Control of your ball with Dynamic Friction is simply beyond your expectation. And as a consequence, it increases the spin rotation dramatically - at the same speed. Thanks to the higher friction you can also catch the ball at the extreme angle, which is truly a professional advantage. Get ready and Win with us !

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 10:47am
The description is the same for all the Omega V rubbers.

Asia will be interesting. In the past, Asia has been hard sponge, soft topsheet, which describes Omega V Pro pretty well. So will Asia be a 50deg sponge with the Pro topsheet? Or maybe Pro is being dropped completely (hence the lack of Pro on the Xiom website) and Asia is the replacement?

Xiom have their own way of introducing chaos with their product names.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 10:51am
Actually, the above description is shared by OVE and OVA only. OVT and OVP are marketed as

Phased dynamics in the energy transfer between a ball and a rubber determines the rubber performance. Traditionally phased physical dynamics has been developed to produce the maximized spin and speed easily at lower swing speed. But the table tennis professionals can deliver solid contacs to the ball at higher swing speed. Their energy can be transferred more efficiently and precisely with the new dynamics, specially phased for the professional play. OMEGA V focused on new dynamic mechanism for top professionals. Solid clicking, energy-charged repulse, and precise energy transfer allows the advantageous edge in small and big shots of the professional game. Experience the new dynamics and Win with us.

So someone in Xiom's marketing should lose their job as the above imples that OVT and OVP are not plastic ball ready unlike OVE and OVA  ... 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 11:19am
I see, or rather I don't. I must be getting blind to the marketing guff these days.
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 12:54pm
I had a chance to hit for 10-15 minutes with Omega V Pro version on Xiom OFF+, stiff racket (I forgot the name, can check it). 
My impressions comparing to many reviews here and comparing to my own expectations.
1 - The sponge did not feel too hard, let's say comparing to my Tenergy05. (I anticipated it will be much harder)
2 - Spin is less than Tenergy05 on any stroke.
3 - Overall OFF- rubber with decent control. Nothing spectacular. I would probably choose Donic M2 over it coz M2 has overall same speed/control characteristics but higher throw and more spin. That is just me though... hitting and blocking with it was very pleasant. 

P.S. I did not have "these" side by side yesterday so take this comment with cation -  My impression was that despite lower throw Sigma II Pro has more spin than Omega V Pro.

Edited by iakovka - 11/05/2014 at 12:58pm

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 2:00pm
I spoke recently to a junior player and he said had tried the Omega V line extensively and they are simply far from being as good as Tenergy. The guy plays about 20 hours a week every week, sometimes more.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 2:09pm
@hans i found the same. there was one i tried that was close to T64 but when i bought my own, i realized that had been heavily boosted. so you could say O5 can only match tenergy when boosted. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2014 at 6:33pm
I was also quite disapointed by Omega V's rubbers. Omega IV is just better and to be honest Vega Japan just plays better than any Omega 4/5 i've tried.  
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 4:56am
It might be useful to mention WHICH Omega V versions you are all talking about here. OV Euro and OV Tour are quite different to OV Pro in my experience.
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 6:07am
The guy I mentioned has tried all of the Omega V versions.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

The guy I mentioned has tried all of the Omega V versions.

Hmmm, sounds thorough.

I have to disagree with his findings, but it could very well be related to playing level. At my incredibly average standard, OVPro is the closest to T05's performance I've ever used, and I'd choose it instead of T05 any day of the week.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:05am
My team mate is a top player in Belgium and he plays very well with Xiom Rubbers whether it is with Omega IV Asia or Omega V tour.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:51am
OV Asia is now available (TT11, tt-japan, presports, etc). Anyone going to take it on?
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 11:57am
I liked Omega 4 Asia , so I am interested in this version.
Shifter
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 4:22pm
In my opinion honestly, good old Vega Pro for almost half the price is every bit as good and better than OVP. I hear vega japan is even better, which leaves me wondering about why OVP is so expensive. It could be blade dependent. When I played OVP, it was on an Xiom Solo, which is a really good looping blade. I struggled to get the spin I wanted, although I'm sure that could improve after giving it more time. I definitely liked it more after it broke in, but still like regular vega pro more. 
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

In my opinion honestly, good old Vega Pro for almost half the price is every bit as good and better than OVP.

Man, I don't know if I've been getting juiced up rubbers by TT11, but the 3 OVT & 1 OVP I have used (on Ludeack, JRE and TB-ALC) have monster power (by power here, I mean that more energy is transferred from your swing to the ball using this rubber). Distinctly more power than VP. The rubber on TB-ALC was too much for me to handle.
ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 12:15am
After trying OVT I decided to stick with Vega Japan. I like it better for my game and it's cheaper. Can't ask for more than that.
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2014 at 4:29am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

In my opinion honestly, good old Vega Pro for almost half the price is every bit as good and better than OVP.

Man, I don't know if I've been getting juiced up rubbers by TT11, but the 3 OVT & 1 OVP I have used (on Ludeack, JRE and TB-ALC) have monster power (by power here, I mean that more energy is transferred from your swing to the ball using this rubber). Distinctly more power than VP. The rubber on TB-ALC was too much for me to handle.

+1 - this is the difference. Vega Pro is a great rubber (esp for the money), and I play better with it to be honest, but it doesn't have the massive ball grab or power than OVP has.

I also moved on from OVP because it was very demanding to use. If I was slightly off my game for any reason, it would punish me. It's on the list as an option for the poly ball though.
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 2:24pm
The opinions here are alien for me. Vega Pro is a bouncy rubber with too low control in passive and spinless strokes for me on my Viscaria Light. Omega V Tour is a completely different rubber, think of a Hurricane III which is a tad faster, but still dead in comparision to Rasant/Bluefire/Evolution. Omega V Tour is too slow for me. Rasant/Bluefire/Evolution are too fast for me.

Edited by Klaus123 - 11/20/2014 at 2:25pm
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 3:00pm
i also like O5T switching off H3NP. i think overall it's great, but it would help if it was a bit softer for close range rips. i also find those other tensors too fast. if i can't find an H3 replacement which i no longer have a consistent supply for, i'll head back to tenergy
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

i also like O5T switching off H3NP. i think overall it's great, but it would help if it was a bit softer for close range rips. i also find those other tensors too fast. if i can't find an H3 replacement which i no longer have a consistent supply for, i'll head back to tenergy

Is commercial H3 not good enough? I assume you don't boost then.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

Is commercial H3 not good enough? I assume you don't boost then.

it's not. boosted commercial is still not as good

Edited by kurokami - 11/21/2014 at 3:03am
Viscaria
H3N/T05
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 3:09am
Really OVT is slower than m1? I dont' want to try it then...

Speed-wise: vega pro < vega japan < mxp = jp01 < m1 < m1 turbo

Lately I tried Vega Japan and I can say it's exactly between m2 and m1 in hardness. It can be useful if your blade is too stiff or too hard for m1. The throw of vega japan is a bit lower than m1 (like jp01). Speed is less than m1 and probably less than m2, but not much. Probably like jp01. It does not lift backspin as good as m1, but again it is a good rubber for stiff and hard blades. Durability is great (my friend has been using it for a year, it still plays as new).

I also tried hurricane 3 neo, 41 deg, with one layer of speed glue, and it's still way too slow! I am going to need more layers to use it...

Edited by seguso - 11/21/2014 at 3:14am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic