Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Omega V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

OVA has a sponge that's a little harder than MX-P. I'm not sure of the numbers exactly though.

Wow harder than MX-P, didn't see that one coming.

So would someone who likes soft to medium hard sponge not enjoy OVA? That being said would MX-P or EL-P be better for me than OVA?

OVA has a soft topsheet so it doesn't feel as hard as you might think it does. I'd bet you like it.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Sponsored Links

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2015 at 4:20am

Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

OVA has a sponge that's a little harder than MX-P. I'm not sure of the numbers exactly though.

Wow harder than MX-P, didn't see that one coming.

So would someone who likes soft to medium hard sponge not enjoy OVA? That being said would MX-P or EL-P be better for me than OVA?

OVA has a soft topsheet so it doesn't feel as hard as you might think it does. I'd bet you like it.

Right, will give it a try soon then :P

Thanks
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 9:09am
How does Omega V Asia play relative to the Omega V Tour? Are they very similar?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 9:56am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

How does Omega V Asia play relative to the Omega V Tour? Are they very similar?

They're close, but noticeably different.

OVA has a softer topsheet and harder sponge, overall hardness is very close but you feel it in different scenarios at the table.  Asia has easier ball grab in soft shots, slightly more spin sensitive, less catapult and a slower top end speed.  I find it easier to get high spin out of Asia (esp. with brushy shots), but Tour fits a fast, drive-and-hit based game more.

Both great rubbers.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 10:01am
Thanks, as always!
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 10:42am
i just got mine last night. Superb price, at sigma2P and OVA for a total of 61 shipped.

I put sigma on last night, cut it right now. I will use my old OVP on my fh for another couple of months. It has a fade spot from being on bh under playing in humid conditions and my finger reaching there due to serve grip hehe.

But heres one thing I am really curious about, is OVA tacky at all ? I'm not planning to use it just yet. Sigma2P actually has a slight tackiness, and HaggisV chart has the sponge hardness at 54 even though xiom marks it 47.5 is it ?

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 10:58am
Personally I think the OVA is harder than the OVT. Looping against underspin is really easy, almost like you can't miss it. I agree with Andysmith about less catapult but I don't agree with the top end Speed. When you loop the Ball really hard OVA has more power and speed than OVT. You can feel it even more with the P-ball. Actually both rubbers are good with celulloid balls but they are amazing with P-ball. I couldn't find any better rubbers for P-ball at the moment.

Edited by ttping85 - 11/17/2015 at 10:58am
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

Personally I think the OVA is harder than the OVT. Looping against underspin is really easy, almost like you can't miss it. I agree with Andysmith about less catapult but I don't agree with the top end Speed. When you loop the Ball really hard OVA has more power and speed than OVT. You can feel it even more with the P-ball. Actually both rubbers are good with celulloid balls but they are amazing with P-ball. I couldn't find any better rubbers for P-ball at the moment.

Wow - that's a powerful endorsement... was I dumb not to test this rubber instead of using Evolution MX-S?  

ttping85,

How would you compare MX-S and OVA?   I already know Andy things OVA is easier to play with.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 11:49am
i liked OVT a lot as a T64 sub. i haven't tried OVA or any of the MX. however, when i bought OVT myself (originally borrowed a 2500's racket), it didn't play the same.

i know she boosts xiom, so i think if you boost OVT, it will be awesome. 

i'm currently seeing the same thing testing fastarc C-1 and S-1. it's nice as it is but one of those rubbers that have a substantially increased benefit when boosted. for example, S-1 boosted = speed glued bryce. very, very similar feeling and performance. my only concern is that like bryce, it's quite light. when i change back to tenergy, it feels heavy. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 12:08pm

I probably don't hit hard enough on the FH to get enough out of it then.  I just get the impression that on hard, flat hits the rubber isn't giving me anything "extra" in terms of catapult, whereas OVT was slinging the ball out.  It really isn't a problem for me because I like the extra security the linearity brings.

And yes, OVA is certainly the best I've tried with plastic so far.  I'm really enjoying OV Europe on the backhand too.  Top stuff.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 1:39pm

Actually both rubbers are good with celulloid balls but they are amazing with P-ball. I couldn't find any better rubbers for P-ball at the moment.

Re: OVT, I wholeheartedly agree. Tried 2.0 sponge with Xuxaofa and was amazed at how good it was. Ordered the OVA, thanks.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 2:05pm
I just put OVA 2mm. red on my Viscaria for the back hand, I hope I like it.
Shifter
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2015 at 2:17pm
good luck with it Roger...I may have to give it a try sometime
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
FreeAgent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 12:43pm
Earlier this year I switched from a TB Spirit to a Stratus Power Wood blade. I had Tenery 80FX on the forehand and I went from having a pretty strong forehand to not being able to loop consistently or block. I was happy with my backhand and serves so I wanted to stay with the Stratus as the Spirit was just too fast.

A couple weeks ago after seeing glowing reviews about the Omega V Tour, I decided to get a sheet for my forehand (max). Wow! My first match I beat the top guy at our club who I had only beat once before. Instantly I had powerful loops that I could keep up consistently in rallies but I also had great control on my blocks. It's definitely brought my game up a level. I could not recommend more.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2015 at 2:02pm
@nextlevel Sorry I didn't test MX-S yet

@Andysmith yes OVA is only faster when you loop the Ball, not on flat hitting

Yes OVT and OVA are great with booster but I only think they need booster with celulloid balls, with plastic balls it's just perfect. You almost don't lose any spin compared to celluloid balls with OV rubbers.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 6:31pm
Guy i went 1-1 sets with last week. Today With my s2p bh and ova fh i went 6-0 in games. Then he came back for more. I was a little exhausted from looping for about 1.5 hours straight. He took me 2-0 in games. I took the last 3, resulting in 3-2 in games. Game 3 was 5-9 me trailing.

I realized immediately ova soft topsheet has crazy weird control on fh flicks. I feel most comfortable with tg3 neo for fh flicks but with ova I can halfway float my shots deep.
Penholders below 2100 dislike it. I would approximate my opponent to be about 1950+ his illegal serve that he actually force hides with his palm. But I dont mind it because steel sharpens steel. Can only make my quick thinking better.
Mind you ,this is my first day of using it and Im feeling superb.

All I gotta say is Alhamdulilah .

Edited by asifgunz - 11/20/2015 at 6:31pm

Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2015 at 7:01pm
Yeah,is good for a month till tuning evaporates then it will be less funny more like plastic feeling topsheet & hard sponge, the ELp that I have on the same paddle is still juicier...so better call dandoy and ask for he's juice to give the OVa a boost....u"ll see.,     At least that's what it feels on my very soft 7ply furious.,

Edited by Tuly007 - 11/20/2015 at 7:03pm
still testing

ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 1:39am
If I wanted to upgrade from Vega Japan, which Omega rubber would be the logical choice as far as the most similar sponge and topsheet? I'm looking at Omega V Asia and Europe. I chop really well with Vega Japan, so it would be great to find the best Xiom rubber for offense and defense.
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 4:10am
I find the Omega V series has higher throw and is less bouncy than the Vega Japan. Slightly more spin as well. I don't know the Asia, but the Euro and Tour fit that description, and of the two, I think the Tour might actually be closer, as it's bouncier, but it's also harder.

If you were to compare with the Tenergy series, it's like variations of the T05, versus T64 for the VJ.

Based on this, I'm not sure if the V series a better rubbers for chopping.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Tuly007 Tuly007 wrote:

Yeah,is good for a month till tuning evaporates then it will be less funny more like plastic feeling topsheet & hard sponge, the ELp that I have on the same paddle is still juicier...so better call dandoy and ask for he's juice to give the OVa a boost....u"ll see.,     At least that's what it feels on my very soft 7ply furious.,

Lol I have it on my zxi. I never had such experience with any of xiom rubbers. Been using em for 4/5 years now.

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Tuly007 Tuly007 wrote:

This is what I felt abt the xiom rubbers iv tried(O5E,O5P,S2E) except vega Pro /euro. After the tunings off, the top sheet just doesn't give very good spin for some reason, not as easy to create heavy spin like the mxp (definitely still a lot better than many rubbers, but not as good as mxp, rakza . Been playing with plastic balls full time since a few months
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 6:25am
Asif - my zxi gives me the impression that my rubber still has tonnes of spin while looping even after its tuning is off, lol maybe cuz of it sharp feel. But in reality my practice partners can clearly make out the decrease in spin compared to when it was new or compared to when I use mxp. ( it lacks spin for me mainly for serves, pushes and opening loops). But on a different blade like tbs, I can actually make out the decrease in spin easily. Imo even most all wood blades can help me discern this, goes to show that zxi has really good vibrations when Yu loop /spin ( which I actually like).
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 8:32am
I have used a sheet of sigma 2 pro for 1.8 years. Thats about 300+ hours if not more..
I dont know how you say ovp looses its spin ability after the mentioned one month.

I played with it just last week against lps and they arent your basic lp player.
Either there is a huge difference in our technique or we are using different rubbers. Lol

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 12:24pm
I can easily play any kinda player using s2pro, or any of the xiom rubbers I mentioned above. But what I'm trying to say is, I can create a whole lot more 'spin' with rubbers like mxp, rakza. Not saying that I suddenly turn into a bad player using xiom rubbers lol. And I kinda admit that the control xiom rubbers give during blocking and service return can actually help my game a lot! But I like to spin spin spin!
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 7:31pm
I should use medium to medium soft rubbers on these soft & flexible Furious blades, they do work better.
Yogibear was right when he reviewed them, at least they are cheap   

Edited by Tuly007 - 11/21/2015 at 8:02pm
still testing

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 8:03pm
Nevermind (post deleted as Tuly007 edited his out)...

Edited by slevin - 11/21/2015 at 8:06pm
Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 8:35pm
Asif, now that u have both, could u check the leftovers/ cuts/pips.... , I " ve used S2P in the past, don' t remember well but I think the Asia V is close to the sigma Pro2, .... Tnx
One thing is sure, IMO, should be used on a blade that is harder to be able to sink the ball into the sponge.....peaceful 007

Edited by Tuly007 - 11/21/2015 at 8:44pm
still testing

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2015 at 10:44pm
I bought my s2p nd ova for 61 shipped from tt11 . They take care of their old customers. Thanks tt11. I think 30.50 shipped is cheap since even MxPs cost a little more than that.
The thing about blocking, yep xiom rubbers have this block factor across all their 47ish deg rubbers. Plus that black carbosponge does catch a few eyes.

About the leftovers, I will look into it Monday. Sat and Sunday I am in and out of class.

Nv, what are the typical estimated ratings of your opponents using xiom rubbers? Especially omega and sigma range. And only vega japan from the vega series.
The rest are great in their own purpose, just one grade behind .

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 12:16am
We don't have a rating system as such here! But quite a few them are seeded in many tourneys and should be Atleast top 20 in the state. If I Juat got some more practice time.
Also, I really like the Omega 4 series a bit more than omega 5! Feel more spinny n powerful though iv only tried the o4pro for a lil bit. I honestly only have a complaint with the 05 and sigma2 series. I love the vega series ( vega Japan does a bit bad after the tuning wears off but still easily manageable). And I'm using the plastic ball to compare. Maybe I should try the O5T and asia.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 1:23am
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

This is what I felt abt the xiom rubbers iv tried(O5E,O5P,S2E) except vega Pro /euro. After the tunings off, the top sheet just doesn't give very good spin for some reason, not as easy to create heavy spin like the mxp (definitely still a lot better than many rubbers, but not as good as mxp, rakza .  

nv42, you tried the wrong rubbers. On paper, O5P seems like O5T but they are quite different. O5T is much better.

You just can't compare the softer S2E (and especially O5E) with R7 or MX-P (which are both 47.5 deg).

I tried O5A for 2 min (friend's paddle) and was very impressed. It is all that MX-S should have been.

Re: losing tuning, that is not a problem (IMHO, non-sponsored players should keep a bottle of Falco Temp Long handy to extend the useful life of rubbers).

BTW: I've been using MX-P for a long time and still use it on my BH.

Edited by slevin - 11/22/2015 at 1:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic