FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Xiom Omega V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 3:57am
There is no obvious tuning in the O5 range, unlike Sigma I and Vega Japan (and MX-P of course).  There could be an odorless oil, but the sheets don't smell.  I can't remember if O5Pro shrinks (not used it since last year) but I've had O5Asia and O5Euro for many months and they haven't shrunk at all.

The topsheets wear like any other ESN rubber - no better or worse.  I certainly don't notice a sudden drop-off in spin after a month, but I only play for 4-5 hours a week.

My experiences are very different to some of the recent ones here.
Sponsored Links

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 5:40am
Guess you are right slevin, maybe I need to try o5t or o5a, Since I do prefer harder sponge and yeah, guess I almost overlooked the fact that I was comparing soft sponge rubbers to harder sponge rubbers. Recently got a brand new o5p, for the first two weeks it felt pretty darn decent for serves, (one month old mxp still better for me), almost as good as my mxp for loops, openings and drives near the table, lacked a lil power behind the table. But after two weeks I kinda felt like the spin on almost all kinda shots except all out loop drives went down(ppl I play with told me the same). Used it on a vega pro blade. I can use an mxp without tuning for 3-4 months ( bascially till it's almost completely destroyed lol).

Guess I need to try out o5A or tour ( i would actually like it if these rubbers have a shorter trajectory compared to mxp. More or equal spin but less speed).
Also, I don't like really soft topsheets.. So was thinking of going for the o5t, but after reading some comments recently I feel like trying o5a more (don't mind a lower traject if it is really spinny like the mx-s)

1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 6:03am
Imo ova smelled like burned rubber, or new leather shoes. That annoying ass smell.

Sigma2p had no such smell. If I remember correctly my ovp had no such smell either.

And nv, yes oivp is faster than ovp. I have used two sheets of the first one. Both with much better durability compared to ovp.

Tour has been rated by a couple of players as too hard. Maybe it would have been better if I went for that since I just came out of tg3 neo recently.

You guys should look into s2p for those that havent. I know andy has used it in the past. ZaPenholder had reviewed it as a sub for his h3 boosted with speedglue. This thing might just be better than the whole omega series lol.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 8:11am
Originally posted by nv42 nv42 wrote:

Also, I don't like really soft topsheets.. So was thinking of going for the o5t, but after reading some comments recently I feel like trying o5a more (don't mind a lower traject if it is really spinny like the mx-s)

That's risky then - OVA's topsheet is quite soft.  Not as soft as Acuda Blue, but still pretty soft.  OVT is a safer bet.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 12:43pm
O5sia was really tempting! Thanks for the save Andy ! Guess I'll try o5Tour first! And asif, I would much prefer the s2 euro over o5p and o5e too, even though the sponge was not too hard, it was extremely powerful when you just let it rip lol , for hard loop drives and punch like shots. Only thing it lacked for me was easy spin on delicate shots, which was initially there, but slowly went down! S2p would be even better.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2015 at 1:29pm
I used my friends omega iv euro, which isbsipposed to be more powerful that oveuro.
Hated the soft feel . It is however lightweight.
Just not my cup of tea.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2015 at 5:26am
I bought a sheet of Omega V Euro for my fh on a Kanaph. The throw is too low. Would the Tour have a higher throw than Europe?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2015 at 7:52am
For me, Tour has higher throw (on topspin on block using plastic ball) than MX-P. So, yes, Tour is high throw.

Both Rasant Grip & OVE just aren't my cup of tea.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2015 at 8:36am
What is wrong with Rasant Grip?
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 2:19pm
I have had a brief hit with a one month old OV Pro and I liked it a lot. To me it felt like an MXP that is more stable (not as bouncy and the topsheet grabs the ball better). Maybe the spin was a bit less but there is more control on fast shots. I hope I will get round to testing it some more because my impression was that it was a leap towards T05 in terms of effectiveness. I might switch to it soon.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 3:28pm
Omega V Asia is the strongest there is.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Omega V Asia is the strongest there is.

It is a titan.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 7:03pm
Tried the OVT finally. It's throw and arc reminded me a bit of T05, though it's definitely lower. Another thing I noticed was that it just did not have that mx-p, t05 or even mx-s kinda top end spin on all out loops(just a tiny bit lower but noticeable). It's really easy to use tho, like all xiom rubbers. Now, I really wanna try the OVA for my FH, but worried if it's top end spin is not gonna powerful compared to mx-p and mx-s.

Edited by nv42 - 03/14/2016 at 5:22am
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 9:16pm
NextLevel, you seem to like the OVA a lot. Have you tried OVT?

I currently play both, OVT on fh and OVA on bh. I like OVT on fh better because:
1. I get a more pronounced arc resulting in more safety on my shots.
2. More potential power on tap.
3. Has higher maximum spin.
4. Easier to lift backspin.

Do we have the same observation? Nevertheless, OVA is still an excellent rubber.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2016 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

NextLevel, you seem to like the OVA a lot. Have you tried OVT?

I currently play both, OVT on fh and OVA on bh. I like OVT on fh better because:
1. I get a more pronounced arc resulting in more safety on my shots.
2. More potential power on tap.
3. Has higher maximum spin.
4. Easier to lift backspin.

Do we have the same observation? Nevertheless, OVA is still an excellent rubber.

I haven't used Tour extensively though I have tried it before. It felt very slightly soft compared to what I like to use ideally. What I like about Asia is that hard sponge feeling where I don't have to think about whether I am swinging too hard to get dip or not. It's not a performance thing as much as a feeling.   
Cybershape Carbon
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2016 at 5:29am
Compared to mx-s, how does the OVA perform in terms of spin in differnt strokes like serves, pushes, opening loops, counter-loop and all out loop drives!?. I pretty much like the hard feeling and linearity that mx-s gives as opposed to mx-p on my FH( mainly the hard feeling for the same reason nextlevel described)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2016 at 6:03pm
OVA is slower than MX-S. I think the main trade off is between loop arc vs. blocking.  There is a linearity but the loops are not blinding fast and OVA is not as deceptively linear as MX-S (I watched one of my MX-S matches recently and was horrified at how much margin my strokes had clearing the net).  I think the rubber I think of when I think of OVA is Baracuda.  OVT might be closer to Baracuda, but OVT has a harder topsheet.  You can use it like a Chinese or Euro rubber and it doesn't bottom out easily.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/14/2016 at 6:13pm
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2016 at 6:23pm
Let me put it another way - if you are okay with MX-S when you are late to the ball and may need arc, stick with it.  If you are okay with MX-S over the table, especially on flicks, stick with it.  IF the arc of MX-S in those situations disturbs you and you can adapt to something more spin reactive, give OVA a shot.
Cybershape Carbon
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 3:38am
@NextLevel
 You used  T05. Why now OVA ? Thanks.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 4:55am
Originally posted by viktorovich viktorovich wrote:

@NextLevel
 You used  T05. Why now OVA ? Thanks.

T05 is too bouncy for how I like to play.
Cybershape Carbon
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 6:15am
thanks nextlevel! just what I wanted to know, guess I'll be sticking with mx-s. Will wait till I get to try OVA on a club-mates paddle :)
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 4:03pm
I could use some input from experienced Xiom Omega V users:

I have been playing with the MX-P as a FH rubber for ~5 months. I like the sponge hardness and the speed, but would like a rubber with a better ability for 'easy' spin and a slightly higher throw angle. 

I have no experience with the XOV series. Reading reviews and forum posts, the closest contender would seem to be OVT - would you agree with that, or should I be looking at OVA or OVP?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 4:15pm
OVT is in no way close to what you are looking for in terms of speed and power.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 4:25pm
mx-p definitely gives me 'more' spin on a very short stroke compared to OVT. Both don't give t05 kinda easy spin. Mx-p definitely has a higher top end spin while counter looping from behind the table, even though OVT does feel powerful and easy to use, it's just not as spinny as mxp. Tried the OVT on a force pro(blk ed) and the mx-p on my vega pro.

Comparing OVT to OVp, I feel like OVP holds the ball a bit longer though the OVT has a little higher throw and is a lot easier to use from behind the table than OVP.

Only tried the OVT for half an hr, and used OVP for a week. Been using mxp since two years.
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

I could use some input from experienced Xiom Omega V users:

I have been playing with the MX-P as a FH rubber for ~5 months. I like the sponge hardness and the speed, but would like a rubber with a better ability for 'easy' spin and a slightly higher throw angle. 

I have no experience with the XOV series. Reading reviews and forum posts, the closest contender would seem to be OVT - would you agree with that, or should I be looking at OVA or OVP?

Not sure about your blade composition, as the answer does depend on it.

I've had red OVT and black MX-P on my MJ-SZLC (limba outers composite) blade at the same time for about 2 months. Other than that, I've used both rubbers extensively, just not at the same time.

Using that blade, OVT shines with the plastic ball. On loops, I get higher throw using OVT than MX-P and the ball seems to stay on the blade a bit longer. Both of these qualities make it feel more like T05 than MX-P. MX-P has slightly more spin (but that should not factor in your decision as both are high-spin, powerful 47 degree rubbers).

Ultimately, I decided to stay on with MX-P (even though OVT was slightly easier to play with) as for my stroke, MX-P is slightly more durable.

OVT vs OVA:
I like OVT more. OVA is more powerful and better in opening loops against backspin (perhaps the best tensor at this). Love it's topsheet. It is a bit more like Chinese rubber than OVT. It represents the new generation of rubbers. If you tried Acuda Blue P1, it is VERY much like that except heavier, spinnier, grippier, more powerful and more lethal. All good points.

However, I just don't get what ESN was trying to achieve with this gen rubbers (Blue P1, OVA) relative to the older types: they have good throw at the table (opening loops) but low throw from mid-distance. I need high throw from mid-distance as my blade is stiff - otherwise looping takes too much effort. Perhaps, these kinds of rubbers might be a great match for flexible blades.

I also did not spend the time in getting used to OVA for blocking: as the rubber is very powerful (more gears than MX-P), to me, blocking was a big adjustment (where-as it just works very well with MX-P).

Edited by slevin - 03/15/2016 at 4:55pm
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 5:19pm
Thank you for your input. It is very helpful...
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

However, I just don't get what ESN was trying to achieve with this gen rubbers (Blue P1, OVA) relative to the older types: they have good throw at the table (opening loops) but low throw from mid-distance. I need high throw from mid-distance as my blade is stiff - otherwise looping takes too much effort. Perhaps, these kinds of rubbers might be a great match for flexible blades.

I also did not spend the time in getting used to OVA for blocking: as the rubber is very powerful (more gears than MX-P), to me, blocking was a big adjustment (where-as it just works very well with MX-P).

Not sure about the blade selection thing, but OVA has a medium throw on drives which gets higher as you brush more.  So when going loop-loop from distance you have to remember to brush more rather than driving hard into the ball, which goes back to the chinese rubber way of playing I suppose.  My blade is stiff too but I love the arc and solidity from distance, and it just makes sense to me and the way I play.  It is tiring though, and OVA is optimal when closer in for sure.  It's a different experience to MX-P or OVT which are excellent, but more conventional euro rubbers.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 7:12pm
When I read Andy describing OVA, I see a kindred spirit. When I see Slevin do the same, I see an alien from another galaxy. The bottom line is that OVA is for brush loopers but it also supports Euro looping decently.

Edited by NextLevel - 03/15/2016 at 7:14pm
Cybershape Carbon
onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 8:00pm
"Going back to the Chinese rubber way of playing...."  now I'm really intrigued to try Omega V Asia  
 on my backhand.  Thanks Andy.

And with the blade selection thing, for me at least, once I like the feel of a blade, it feels good 
for whatever rubber I put on it.  If I don't like the blade, nothing I put on it can save it.  
Maybe it's just me, but it serves as a foundation, or fixed variable, when I make comparisons
with different rubber.    I guess it's the same approach for me with tennis; I have a racket I like, and 
I try different strings with it.  
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

"Going back to the Chinese rubber way of playing...."  now I'm really intrigued to try Omega V Asia  
 on my backhand.  Thanks Andy.

And with the blade selection thing, for me at least, once I like the feel of a blade, it feels good 
for whatever rubber I put on it.  If I don't like the blade, nothing I put on it can save it.  
Maybe it's just me, but it serves as a foundation, or fixed variable, when I make comparisons
with different rubber.    I guess it's the same approach for me with tennis; I have a racket I like, and 
I try different strings with it.  

+1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic