FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing against short pips hitter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing against short pips hitter
    Posted: 04/23/2013 at 1:18pm
What are the suggested tactics against a backhand short pips hitter. He appears to be able to hit topspins or backspins without much problem. Plays very close to the table.

I am thinking deep shots to his body. But typically what are the shots that work against short pips - as mentioned above - he seems to have no trouble with my spins.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 1:22pm
I agree with deep and if topspin don't work, try to change your focus from spin to height and try to keep the ball as low as possible. If the ball bounce is lower then the net, he will have a hard time hitting. Still possible to loop, but this should give you a good chance to attack.
The holy grail
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 1:23pm
move him around so he can't use his BH. vary your ball placement/spins.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 2:13pm
A few key areas spring to mind given my fair share of short pips nightmare.  The first priority is to avoid use of float/no spin at all cost.  Light top-/backspin won't cut it.  Always send every shot back with fairly heavy spin at a minimum to keep them at bay.  Doing so will also get yourself some leeway in case some shots are not as tight and/or deep as desirable.  Place most serves away from the short pips and mix in a few kick serves to the crossover to keep them honest.  In my case, I find the reverse pendulum and hook serves give them a harder time than the vanilla pendulum serve.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 2:24pm
Zeio is correct about the spin needing to be heavy. If you push a ball back to their SPs it won't have much spin and they can attack it very easily. You've got to really chop the ball or loop it with some serious spin. SPs aren't really great at looping/lifting heavy underspin, so chop the ball with a lot of spin.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

A few key areas spring to mind given my fair share of short pips nightmare.  The first priority is to avoid use of float/no spin at all cost.  Light top-/backspin won't cut it.  Always send every shot back with fairly heavy spin at a minimum to keep them at bay.  Doing so will also get yourself some leeway in case some shots are not as tight and/or deep as desirable.  Place most serves away from the short pips and mix in a few kick serves to the crossover to keep them honest.  In my case, I find the reverse pendulum and hook serves give them a harder time than the vanilla pendulum serve.

I disagree with this.

First and foremost, serve no-spin/float long to the forehand or the backhand (whichever is weaker) with strategic placement.  This is the hardest ball for the pips hitter to attack.  Strategic placement means that the hitter must need to get into position to hit the ball.  If the hitter doesn't have to move or reach to hit the ball, the placement is not strategic.  The elbow area is fine.

Take the ball relatively late and with either heavy spin/power. Sidespin is pretty helpful.  But always keep the balls deep and if possible low. Anything too short and high will give them too many angles.

IF he can hit underspin, find out whether you can serve underspin that is too heavy for him to hit.  If it is, then he has to push it or roll it back.  But that is when if you serve it deep and he has to roll it back, you can crush the return.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/23/2013 at 3:08pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 3:19pm

Edited by roundrobin - 10/27/2015 at 12:46pm
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

This is, in general, a bad advice, since nmost players are stronger on their fh, so trying to aim for that might not be the best idea, unless you have terrible trouble to play against the SP.

Also, I agree with RR and Next Level, flots are good to play against SP hitters, either that or topspin. My experience is that backspin is suicide against them, the more the merrier for them and especially if the ball is short.
The holy grail
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

This is, in general, a bad advice, since nmost players are stronger on their fh, so trying to aim for that might not be the best idea, unless you have terrible trouble to play against the SP.

Also, I agree with RR and Next Level, flots are good to play against SP hitters, either that or topspin. My experience is that backspin is suicide against them, the more the merrier for them and especially if the ball is short.

From the OP: What are the suggested tactics against a backhand short pips hitter. He appears to be able to hit topspins or backspins without much problem. Plays very close to the table.

with the info given, that's what I'd do.  Of course it depends on the OP's playing level.  it also depends if the opponent is a SH or PH.

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

What are the suggested tactics against a backhand short pips hitter. He appears to be able to hit topspins or backspins without much problem. Plays very close to the table.
I am thinking deep shots to his body. But typically what are the shots that work against short pips - as mentioned above - he seems to have no trouble with my spins.

Speaking as an sp hitter, I find the commonest tactical mistake is to apply tactics that work against inverted topspinners e.g.: playing short to stop me getting in. This just helps me to open with a flick.
If you are serving short, make sure its high quality heavy backspin which cant be flicked. Otherwise serve long, or half long with varied placement.
As far as attacking is concerned if your topspin breaks down against the blocking and punching, then try and rally with less topspin and deeper. If you are patient you will improve your timing and opportunities for winners will come.
Finally work on your placement. Its no use sending over rockets if you allow the blocker to command the angles and beat you with your own power
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 5:33pm
I find it is the close to the table style that SP players play is more of a problem than the SPs themselves.  It is a different game when the SP player WILL NOT back up an inch no matter what so the ball comes back quickly and at angles.   Sometimes one must simply be able to play faster and beat them at their own game.   This should be possible if hitting with inverted because the inverted player can hit with more top spin to keep the ball on the table.  The problem is in the execution and being able to loop off the bounce or simply being able to drive the ball fast and low over the net more consistently than the SP player.

I agree with keeping the ball low and deep and also hitting at the corners and elbow but this is almost always good advice no matter what one is playing against.  Varying spin and speed is good too.  Back spin, top spin, side spin, it will all work if done right.  

I play with SP on my BH and I am a hitter blocker that likes the He Zhi Wen style of hitting the ball fast and low at angles.  A hitter blocker that is faster and more accurate than I am or a  looper that is fast enough to get into position close to the table is a pain in the .....
My coach will get back and wait for me to make a mistake first.  He spins the ball so it bounces to the side.  He isn't lobbing just hitting side spin loops.  I have had problems with lobbers that spin the ball.  It is not my normal game.  I try to get the angles but unless I try to hit the ball low off the bounce the ball will bounce high for the lobber again.  Good choppers are a problem too.  I think the key theme is that they don't let me play my game.

I don't see where no spin balls are a problem for the SP player.

There is NO magic.  It is the execution that is important.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 5:36pm
I am intermediate level player. My opponent is shake hands player. Smooth on the forehand Short pips on the backhand. 
I usually play modern defence style with Smooth (FH) and long pips on the (BH). So BH hits are usually coming to my BH (long pips). I am able to loop on the bh with smooth (but with this player I usually don't have time to twiddle). I can also play smooth & smooth and loop from both sides. 

I am thinking since I have ability play smooth and smooth - would it better to play with smooth & smooth. Because my control and placement with pips are not very accurate. 

From the responses it seems - keeping the ball low is very important. So deep no spin serves, followed by deep loops should keep him from attacking. Once he starts his attack - I am not strong enough to counter it - basically I am chasing the ball at that point. 

I just want to have a basic strategy that I can try - right now I am kind clue less - everything is getting attacked.
Butterfly MPS
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I am intermediate level player. My opponent is shake hands player. Smooth on the forehand Short pips on the backhand. 
I usually play modern defence style with Smooth (FH) and long pips on the (BH). So BH hits are usually coming to my BH (long pips). I am able to loop on the bh with smooth (but with this player I usually don't have time to twiddle). I can also play smooth & smooth and loop from both sides. 

I am thinking since I have ability play smooth and smooth - would it better to play with smooth & smooth. Because my control and placement with pips are not very accurate. 

From the responses it seems - keeping the ball low is very important. So deep no spin serves, followed by deep loops should keep him from attacking. Once he starts his attack - I am not strong enough to counter it - basically I am chasing the ball at that point. 

I just want to have a basic strategy that I can try - right now I am kind clue less - everything is getting attacked.

Do you have LP OX on your BH?, it sounds like you twiddle. You should probably practice more with your LP on ball placement before you twiddle. You may be getting confused.

dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 5:41pm
+1 to NextLevel and roundrobin

A general rule against pip players is to hit low no spin to them since they cannot generate their own spin easily.  You also want to give them bad angles since they cannot effectively spin the ball so deep balls can be effective.  

Making the pip player lift your dead balls will help magnify your ability to fool them with underspin even if you cannot outspin them as NextLevel suggests.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

slowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 6:05pm
It really depends on how the short pip guy plays. From my experiences, they usually play close to the table and block very well. So, if that's the case, I usually win with smash not spin. They can block spin, but it's difficult with smash. I usually setup my smash with *control* loop. I would open my loop either bh or fh with just enough to make him play in passive mode(blocking). This is where I learn my opponent. I usually vary my loop placement so that he is out of position and his block would not be effective. (Ex. He returns a bit high ...) Then I follow with a control loop again or finish with a smash. Again, really depends on the level of both players.

Feedback
Viscaria
FH: H3 NEO
BH: T05
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2013 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

+1 to NextLevel and roundrobin
A general rule against pip players is to hit low no spin to them since they cannot generate their own spin easily.  You also want to give them bad angles since they cannot effectively spin the ball so deep balls can be effective.  
Making the pip player lift your dead balls will help magnify your ability to fool them with underspin even if you cannot outspin them as NextLevel suggests.  

I want to play you for money!
1:-
Most of us sp players like low no spin balls because they are easy to hit
2:-
The sp player is not trying to spin the ball, they are looking to hit the ball early!!
3:-
play the ball deep, you got that one right
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 2:18am
I see a lot of ideas here about how specifically to deal with SP, but it seems to me the pips are less of an issue than the fact that he's a hitter who stays close to the table.  

My thoughts:

1. No spin serves are useful against *long* pips but I've never seen a SP player have problems with them.  SP have some grip, just not as much as smooth.

I personally would serve mostly short with a mix of spins.  It is easier to flip a short serve with pips compared to smooth, but most good players can flip anyway.  The important thing about short serves (more important than the amount of spin) is to keep the low.  If the serve goes high, the SP player with quick hit or smash.  If the serve is low, the flip will be no different than a flip from smooth rubber.

I would mix in the occasional long serve, but they must be fast, low, and no spin.  If this serve goes high, the SP player will kill it.  However, if it stays low, then the SP player needs to spin that ball up.  Since it's harder to generate spin with SP, then is a challenge for them.  Of course, you want to place the ball well, such as far FH corner or the elbow.

2. I would be careful on using the wide angles until your opponent is clearly out of position.  Your SP close to the table player has no trouble blocker or guiding the ball to even wider angles, giving you a difficult return.  I would plan on using a series of controlled loops carefully places to push your opponent into one side of the table, and then go very wide the other way.  

The ultimate opponent for this kind of challenge is a Seemiller-style blocker.  You play a very wide angle on them, thinking you've got them.  However, they don't bother with strokes -- they just block and angle the ball even wider back at you. With these kinds of players, wide angles are definitely a double-edged sword.

3. I would emphasize more spin on your loops instead of speed, unless you've got the perfect put away shot.  Even with pips, spiny loops are harder to block.  Also, close-to-the-table hitters like a quick tempo and have a harder time adjusting to a slower pace. They're likely to over-hit or under-block.

4. I would keep my loops deep until you see the SP player step back.  If the loops are deep then the SP player is forced to hit them quick off the bounce.  In that case, they are more likely to block than to hit, giving you more time to react.  If the SP player drops back from the table, then you can mix in some shorter loops as well as smashes.

Overall, I would recommend that you don't want to let the SP player control the wide angles, or to get their desired rhythm (usually fast pace). You need to be patient to look for your winning shot.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 6:03am
for me I absolutely hate playing against short pips hitters, I like to play off the bounce too but with more spin and less speed in general, so I tend to get jammed against them. Sometimes the match turns quite ugly with both players just serving long and wide and followed by mad countering which I often lose. Slowing down the pace sometimes doesnt really help as they would then block me off the table, utilising wide angles that make me run (same strategy that I often use) :(

Sometimes I think the only way forward is to increase my speed, spin and power in the close table countering and beat them through superior rallying capability.

The person serving short seems to be at a disadvantage because we both have good flicks and wide angle pushes that puts the server at an disadvantage, and good blocking which tends to punish the one who is the 1st to attack.

I find that typical shakehand pips players are weak at defending curvy elbow shots, and penhold players weaker at their wide FH defense.

Those who can generate huge amounts of spin and have high quality long pushes and 3rd balls and good mid distance game tend to fare a bit better against pips players. But I'm just not that comfortable playing that kinda style :(
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 6:18am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

I disagree with this.

First and foremost, serve no-spin/float long to the forehand or the backhand (whichever is weaker) with strategic placement.  This is the hardest ball for the pips hitter to attack.  Strategic placement means that the hitter must need to get into position to hit the ball.  If the hitter doesn't have to move or reach to hit the ball, the placement is not strategic.  The elbow area is fine.

Take the ball relatively late and with either heavy spin/power. Sidespin is pretty helpful.  But always keep the balls deep and if possible low. Anything too short and high will give them too many angles.

IF he can hit underspin, find out whether you can serve underspin that is too heavy for him to hit.  If it is, then he has to push it or roll it back.  But that is when if you serve it deep and he has to roll it back, you can crush the return.
No problem.  Just note that this is coming from a guy who plays against short pips on a weekly basis.  I've come a long way dealing with them and learned it the hard way doing exactly what you suggested above.  Long no-spin do not work well against pips even at the intermediate level.  Decent players will flick through them preying for weak returns and good players will just step around and loopkill them.  You then catch yourself spending more time picking up balls than at the table before you know it.

The folks at pingskills are telling the same thing - 1, 2, 3.  You bet they know what they're talking about.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 6:22am
If you're a long pips player just chop push or serve extremely deep underspin while varying the placement, if he tries to attack with hard hits he would make a lot of mistakes(provided the ball is heavy underspin, low and deep), and you should be able to block back a few for winners. Most probably it would be a safe but weaker roll that is placed well. Attack this weak roll strongly to his weak spot or u can chop it deep, it could degenerate into a roll chop rallying as he doesnt want to go to your FH as u can attack strongly from there. Or you can even chop everything back if he struggles against heavy underspin.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 11:25am
I play with LP OX on the backhand but as I mentioned I am also able to play smooth-smooth as I can loop from both sides. I am also able to twiddle - but with this particular case - he plays very close to the table - I find I don't have enough time to twiddle.

Thanks everyone for some great ideas - I am going to have to review the thread and come with a game plan - I can execute - but these ideas everyone has given me is a great help.

Another thing with this type of player as someone mentioned above is the "tempo" of the game is very quick - I find I am playing to his speed - points are all very quick - I guess I am just in a react mode as opposed trying to control the points with my strategy. Mind you since I didn't really have strategy - perhaps that is to be expected.
Butterfly MPS
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 12:09pm
I think there are very good tactics mentioned here... here is my what bothers me as a ph sp hitter (i have played as SH sp bh for a year or so before)....
my sp won't generate heavy any spin so 

1. if you can get me to push long, a good opponent can normally loop kill me... 
2. any shot that i cannot hit because it is low, will normally result in a weak topspin(flick or loop) back which then again a good opponent will loop kill me... Waldner did this to LGL all the time
3. in terms of serves, short serves don't work well because pips is easy to flick or have great placement on pushes 
4.  back up a step.... pip hits slows down much more then loop does over distance 
5. i find with combination players the cross over point becomes a big weak spot
6. I don't know if heavy topspin works well because good short-pippers manipulates spin well you don't want to give them too much to play with... they can block all kind of different kind of spin back....
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2013 at 4:29pm

Not every SP player is the same.

I know a shakehand player with SP on backhand.  He can hit through topspin and mediocre underspin with ease.  For heavy underspin, he uses SP to topspin and there is enough topspin coming back.  The general consensus among my friends is to avoid his backhand.  When we serve, we serve long to his body or short.

I know a penhold SP that likes hitting through no spin or underspin, backhand or forehand.  When I do push, it has very heavy underspin.  Topspin is a better strategyWhen he is able to block the topspin, one has to be careful in looping the ball back.  There is the danger of looping the ball to the net.

Against SP blockers, it is a timing issue to loop the ball back.

I have beaten SP players and I have lost to SP players.  The ones who beat me are just better players.

Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 12:22am
For some time (about a year) I used to play with 802-40 (FH) and Spectol (BH). This was an interesting experiment. The hitting was great, but I am permanently back to inverted because I disliked my inability to control all kinds of really light, close to the net, little spin balls. 
Now, from the professional arena: not too long ago, during the Korean Open http://www.ittf.com/ittv/  there was a match between Jun Mizutani and Zhan Jian. Pretty good stuff. Zhan Jian uses short pips (it used to be 802-40) on the forehand. 
Also, zeio (above) included three very good links, recommended.

Edited by JacekGM - 04/26/2013 at 9:45pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 6:53am
the other thing is to come in a bit when they attack (as opposed to going to far back to return their shot) as it won't carry as much (more dip and fall)

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 11:06am
Good point - my first instinct is to back up, especially trying to chop the ball. Maybe staying up trying to block is a better way to go.

I looked at Dimitri Oftacharov (sp?) play Zhan Jian - these pro guys just loop everything - Dimitri O was looping everything if JacekGM didn't mention Jian was using short pips - I wouldn't have known. I guess watching TT is far more complicated it appears.
Butterfly MPS
bayttplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayttplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 4:57pm
Smile
well...if he able to hit every thing from you, it real means you are in different level. I only play with one player like that who has BH SP and smoth on FH, his rating about 1800-1900.
Is not too difficult play with him.

serve long no spin, counter back.
serve short on his FH, bush back long BH.
when loop, loop in to his body, or slow but very spin.

SP can loop and hit, I think you just need to play with him more, get used to the spin and timing.

Edited by bayttplayer - 04/25/2013 at 5:21pm
Innerforce-ZLC FL + H3 + T80

koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2013 at 8:00pm
My practice partner for years was a close to the table pips hitter (medium pips mostly), so I am probably at my best against this style.

He is an overall better player than I am, so unless I found his exact weakness, I was toast.  The only thing that really worked was playing deep into his pips and his elbow with spin variation.

He could get used to just about anything if I did it to much, so variation was key.  
Playing short against him did not work well either, since being very close to the table allowed him to play angles very uncomfortable for me.

I mostly used to take half a step away from the table and spin the ball deep with variation until I got something I could put away.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 12:36am
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

My practice partner for years was a close to the table pips hitter (medium pips mostly), so I am probably at my best against this style.

He is an overall better player than I am, so unless I found his exact weakness, I was toast.  The only thing that really worked was playing deep into his pips and his elbow with spin variation.

He could get used to just about anything if I did it to much, so variation was key.  
Playing short against him did not work well either, since being very close to the table allowed him to play angles very uncomfortable for me.

I mostly used to take half a step away from the table and spin the ball deep with variation until I got something I could put away.

ILya
As SP hitter-blocker this is good advice.  Above all don't let the SP player hit at angles He Zhi Wen style.

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2013 at 1:17am
To me sp on bh means that's their weaker side and they are compensating for something.  It could be mobility, arm speed, spin recognition, etc.

So you would play to those weakness.  If it is mobility, force them to move.  If it is arm speed force to go between fh and bh, or increase your paddle speed to something they can't match.  If it is spin recognition, then you're a lp player, mix it up for them.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic