megaspin.net
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Allergy season and how to cope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allergy season and how to cope?
    Posted: 04/27/2013 at 7:30pm
Pollen allergies are making me miserable and these are the days Stern Smile that I suffer the most, until mid-May or so. What do you fellow allergy sufferers do to keep this condition at bay and not succumb to Zyrtec slowing you down? Can anything be done?
(1) Gambler Mega Weave 82g, with Hurricane 3 Neo (2.1) red FH, Skyline TG 3 Neo BH black (2.1); (2) Juic SB Alpha 85g, Fl, with T 80FX 1.9 mm red and Hammond Pro B 1.9 mm black.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 7:55pm
I use Allegra and it doesnt make me as drowsy as Zyrtec
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 8:42pm
Start eating small amounts of local raw honey - supposed to build up resistance to local pollen
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Start eating small amounts of local raw honey - supposed to build up resistance to local pollen

Honey has worked for me. I don't use local raw though. Peoples allergies are different so what works for one may not work for someone else.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 04/27/2013 at 8:59pm
Hunter Flame / 4H Ten 05 Max / BH Donic X1 Turbo 2.0
729 Wood / Ha Shark 2 Max Both sides
729 Wood / 4H Juic Varites 2.0 / BH Palio LP 1.0
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2013 at 9:27pm
Yeah local honey works well
It has to be raw though
Its great with milk or tea
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 5:37am
There are other anti histamines that don't cross the blood brain barrier as much as Zyrtec, on the other hand long term use of Zyrtec will cure you of allergies... eventually.... You do need to take it everyday for that to happen, I'd start before the season that bothers you. Zyrtec tends to cost you a couple hundred rating points in speed so stop taking it two days before a tournament

Edited by bluebucket - 04/28/2013 at 5:39am
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 9:16am
Guys, many thanks really. Some of this is not new, but hey, it is very good to hear it form others.
blubucket - well, all the local important for me USATT rated tournaments happen to be right during the allergy season... let me tell you, this is fun... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger Wink
(1) Gambler Mega Weave 82g, with Hurricane 3 Neo (2.1) red FH, Skyline TG 3 Neo BH black (2.1); (2) Juic SB Alpha 85g, Fl, with T 80FX 1.9 mm red and Hammond Pro B 1.9 mm black.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 11:26am
I started taking local honey and local bee pollen for 2 months now.  Now, my seasonal allergy is noticeable better, with much milder symptoms.  If you haven't tried bee pollen, be a bit cautious at the beginning.  There have been known but rare cases of anaphylaxis that can be life threatening. For me, my eyes were just a little itchy first two times I took the pollen.  Honey from the local bee farm is so much fresher and tastier.  Once you've tried it, you will never go back to the honey from the grocery shelf.  Don't put the honey in boiling water though.  That may inactivate some of the good stuffs.  Smile 
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 1:54pm
Don't play pingpong outdoors.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 2:29pm

Worked wonders for my entire family.  Smile  We go to Whole Foods and buy 5 different kinds of local raw honey all the time:  California Coastal Wild Flowers, Buckwheat, Avocado, Sage, and Orange Tree Blossoms.  Just scoop a little bit of each into a cup and add hot water (contrary to some beliefs the heat doesn't diminish its effectiveness for us at all).  Taste like flowery tea!  Yummy.  Smile  What the raw honey does is to make your body accept local pollens as food instead of fighting them!  No more Claritin or other craps like that... Those addicting Big Pharma drugs will kill you sooner than your due date.  Wink

Edited by roundrobin - 04/28/2013 at 2:38pm
Current USATT Rating: 2193. Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986
Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association; RR Tournament Director, 2008-present
My Setup: Defplay Senso / Juic 999T / GDT 1.2
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Worked wonders for my entire family.  Smile  We go to Whole Foods and buy 5 different kinds of local raw honey all the time:  California Coastal Wild Flowers, Buckwheat, Avocado, Sage, and Orange Tree Blossoms.  Just scoop a little bit of each into a cup and add hot water (contrary to some beliefs the heat doesn't diminish its effectiveness for us at all).  Taste like flowery tea!  Yummy.  Smile  What the raw honey does is to make your body accept local pollens as food instead of fighting them!  No more Claritin or other craps like that... Those addicting Big Pharma drugs will kill you sooner than your due date.  Wink

Thank you, I much appreciate it. Should be not too difficult to at least try. Muchas gracias.

Edited by JacekGM - 04/28/2013 at 3:15pm
weestenosis View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 4:40pm
Where can i buy raw honey?? Im in nj
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by weestenosis weestenosis wrote:

Where can i buy raw honey?? Im in nj
I googled it for you: http://www.tassotapiaries.com/ Good luck!
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2013 at 1:46am
Honey for allergy? I've never heard of it. 
I'll try it, thanks.
Primorac Carbon * Tenergy 64
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2013 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Honey for allergy? I've never heard of it. 
I'll try it, thanks.

Try LOCAL honey.  Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic