Advertising on MyTableTennis.NET
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Hand switching during rallies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand switching during rallies
    Posted: 04/28/2013 at 9:28am
Andrzej Grubba was doing it, Timo sometimes does it, even at our club there is a hitter guy about 1700 level who routinely switches hands a lot and hits very well from both sides (pips on the backhand)... can hand-switching be done really effectively? Can this be a substitute for a weak backhand? Any thoughts? Could we have more of that technique at higher levels of play?
(1) Gambler Mega Weave 82g, with Hurricane 3 Neo (2.1) red FH, Skyline TG 3 Neo BH black (2.1); (2) Juic SB Alpha 85g, Fl, with T 80 1.9 mm red and Hammond Pro B 1.9 mm black.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 1:50pm
Even a weak backhand is usually stronger than the alternate hand's FH. Players usually switch hands in emergency situations. Example they are on the wide FH side and the ball is played to their wide BH.
The other time they switch is basically to show-off.
Avalox P700 + G999/FX-P
Darker 7P-2A + G999(40°)/ G999(38⁰)
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Even a weak backhand is usually stronger than the alternate hand's FH. Players usually switch hands in emergency situations. Example they are on the wide FH side and the ball is played to their wide BH.
The other time they switch is basically to show-off.
...okay, that would be the common knowledge (sorry), with the exception of the 1700 guy I mentioned who really does it better switching hands rather than using his BH. That made me wonder if some1 could perhaps excel at this tactic. That could be quite interesting...
(1) Gambler Mega Weave 82g, with Hurricane 3 Neo (2.1) red FH, Skyline TG 3 Neo BH black (2.1); (2) Juic SB Alpha 85g, Fl, with T 80 1.9 mm red and Hammond Pro B 1.9 mm black.
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 2:56pm
Actually if a player has equal ability with both hands he can do it but I would take two times more training and adapting really fast
Waiting for money to get a new setup... :/
Danhs1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danhs1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 8:21pm
+1    It seems like the time spent practicing opposite hand shots could be better spent on footwork drills.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Danhs1 Danhs1 wrote:

+1    It seems like the time spent practicing opposite hand shots could be better spent on footwork drills.
I don't know... footwork drills may be hard to beat, true, but this is a different cup of tea we are talking about here
barq9033 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barq9033 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2013 at 1:50am
In one of the videos of the CNT one of the coaches said that they already tried it but changing the blade from one hand to the other was slow compared to the regular two winged looper. They have people that are always trying to come up with new techniques to improve their game but this one did not work...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2013 at 5:00am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by Danhs1 Danhs1 wrote:

I don't know... footwork drills may be hard to beat, true, but this is a different cup of tea we are talking about here
Just try it. I'm sure it'll work very well if you put in the time. It's just as other, say, it's probably better to spend time practising more conventional stuff. But who wants to be conventional?
Go ahead and practise for a few months. Even if it doesn't become a part of your regular game, it'll be a good surprise shot to have. 
Avalox P700 + G999/FX-P
Darker 7P-2A + G999(40°)/ G999(38⁰)
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2013 at 8:08am

Andrzej Grubba was doing it, Timo sometimes does it, even at our club there is a hitter guy about 1700 level who routinely switches hands a lot and hits very well from both sides (pips on the backhand)... can hand-switching be done really effectively? Can this be a substitute for a weak backhand? Any thoughts? Could we have more of that technique at higher levels of play?

I do it as a last resort when the ball is wide to my BH and already past me off the table a few feet so I couldn't do any other shot, works well sometimes saves a point since I lob with sidespin at their BH. I don't really practice this just my natural shot. I can play offhand and beat beginners up to low level intermediate or 1200-1400 USATT rating, without practicing.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 04/29/2013 at 10:12am
Hunter Flame / 4H Ten 05 Max / BH Donic X1 Turbo 2.0
729 Wood / Ha Shark 2 Max Both sides
729 Wood / 4H Juic Varites 2.0 / BH Palio LP 1.0
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I do it as a last resort when the ball is wide to my BH and already past me off the table a few feet so I couldn't do any other shot, works well sometimes saves a point since I lob with sidespin at their BH. I don't really practice this just my natural shot. I can play offhand and beat beginners up to low level intermediate or 1200-1400 USATT rating, without practicing.
Cool, I mean it is great that you can do it. 
It is also of interest if professional players could benefit from a technique like that. From what various people shared here so far, I still do not know. Maybe it takes a special talent for doing this trick very well? It might be quite effective if a guy could loop real hard from both right and left wing...

Edited by JacekGM - 04/30/2013 at 7:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic