Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Short pips Friendship 802-40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jetrider76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short pips Friendship 802-40
    Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:44am
Hi there im thinking of swithcing and try to play short pips on my BH and i play with a pretty fast blade stiga hybrid wood cpen. I use my BH for attacking and smashinh and also i like to cut the ball alot with my BH and also i use it alot for service returns.
Its my first short pip rubber so i would like to get some info on short pips in regular and also can i play traditional play like an inverted rubber with this pip rubber?
I have read some info thruu the net and what i want out from it a good fast rubber good for blocking,service returns so i dont want it to be to much affected to spinny services and also use it to smash which i often do with my BH.

Thanx
Style of weapons....

Cpen Stiga Hybrid wood NCT
Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH
802-40 super soft short pip BH

Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:57am
Ps forgot to writ that its a 802-40 super soft pro 1,8 mm... i just realized that and i cant find much info about the rubber so if anyone has used it i would appreciate to get some info on it...
Style of weapons....

Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 8:04am
I have a sheet of 802-40 2.0. You can counter loop and chop off the table. I haven't used it much.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Pingvinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingvinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 9:58am
Ring eller mejla japsko.se så får du bra råd.

Edited by Pingvinis - 05/11/2013 at 9:58am
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 4:06pm
Okay, I speak neither of the two predominant Swedish language varieties, but... 
I played short pips on both sides (FH+BH) for a year and half. I went through a number of different pips (about eight?). 802-40 are very versatile pips, you can use them almost like an inverted rubber. For hitting the 2.0 mm is better. The problem I had with these pips was that the benefit of pips (little reaction to incoming spin) was not quite there, as well as the control on very week, close to the net yet spinny balls was a big problem for me. 
I personally would very strongly recommend the 802 pip for you, in 2.0 mm. These are very easy to play, easy to hit through loops and underspin, fast enough to be dangerous. I keep a sheet for myself in case I wanted to return. Also, there is a little of the in/famous wobble effect these pips generate, which is almost from the dark side of the TT arena (one of the reasons I finally decided to give it up). Another pip that is interesting is the TSP Spectol, but that one I found a little more difficult to master. 
Of course, there is always an alternative of using inverted that is not reactive to incoming spin, and other people will have great suggestions for you in that area.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 4:16pm
youll have to get used to short pips first for sure. dont expect much ability to slow spinny loop or lift backspin. always hit backspin balls on the very top of the bounce. the throw(as with any short pip)is ungodly low compared to any inverted. its real power is in hitting/driving to spinny balls with little to no racket angle adjustment

E: just realisted you want to use it on penhold backhand. i would advise against that. you cant really flat hit/smash on the RPB. the naturally closed racket angle doesent really allow for that.

Unless your grip is very very weird short pips is not suitable for RPB

Edited by crackfst - 05/11/2013 at 4:20pm
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

youll have to get used to short pips first for sure. dont expect much ability to slow spinny loop or lift backspin. always hit backspin balls on the very top of the bounce. the throw(as with any short pip)is ungodly low compared to any inverted. its real power is in hitting/driving to spinny balls with little to no racket angle adjustment

E: just realisted you want to use it on penhold backhand. i would advise against that. you cant really flat hit/smash on the RPB. the naturally closed racket angle doesent really allow for that.

Well crackfst i hold my cpen kinda weird so i dont have any big problems with my BH on cpen.
I just wanted to try it beacuse im having problems finding a rubber for my BH which isnt so sensitiv to spinn especially on services. i mostly push,block and smash with my BH and i have hell of lot of power on my flicking motion smashes with Bh and there isnt hardly anyone that can touch them, so my problem is that i líke the inverted rubbers and also the speed in them but then i also loose alot of control so i dunno what to try next. im not looking for a quick fix but im struggling and playing badly at the moment beacuse of my change in rubbers on both FH and BH. played 1,9 05 tenergy on FH and 2.0 stiga carbo sound on BH before and that worked out quite fine. But the speed is nothing compared to playing with Lt sound now on BH. Well i guess there isnt anything else to do but to try it out and see if it works or not. just conserd just beacuse i know its gonna take some time to get used to and also we have noon playing short pips at my club so i really dont have anyone to ask for advice on strokes and so on so i guess i have to find it out the hard way =)
And u said that the 802-40 was sensitive to incoming spin? ive heard that the control is wery good on that particular rubber....
Style of weapons....

Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Pingvinis Pingvinis wrote:

Ring eller mejla japsko.se så får du bra råd.

Wink already did that thnx anyways =)
Style of weapons....

Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by jetrider76 jetrider76 wrote:

i dont want it to be to much affected to spinny services
802-40 will only be a little better than inverted for service return.   802-40 is pretty spinny for a SP.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 6:21pm
So if i had to choose a good short pip rubber that dosent take forever to get used to what should i use?
Im also looking at tsp spectol,good reviews on it and i must add that im just trying out some stuff but if i like short pips im gonna stick with it. and i think it might be a good advantage on mybehalf beacuse everyone i meet thinks my BH is weak and its not. im not the faststest guy around but im tall and i reach wery long. i would like to use the short pip for close to table like flicks,chop,smash, and then i like to get away from the table and just rallie away with my FH. The advantage i think i might get is that not many play short pips so my oponents might think that is disturbing them like when i meet a long pip player i hate them =)
Style of weapons....

Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH

gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 6:23pm
A good choice of rubber to start with when switching to short pips because it plays almost like inverted then once you get used to it then thats the time to move on to more specific sp that you like to play with...then you can move on to flarestorm,raystorm to name a few but my favorite sp of all time is the spectol...but you need to get the timing right you can't be late in this rubber always on the rise is the timing.IMHO.
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

Well crackfst i hold my cpen kinda weird so i dont have any big problems with my BH on cpen.
I just wanted to try it beacuse im having problems finding a rubber for my BH which isnt so sensitiv to spinn especially on services. i mostly push,block and smash with my BH and i have hell of lot of power on my flicking motion smashes with Bh and there isnt hardly anyone that can touch them, so my problem is that i líke the inverted rubbers and also the speed in them but then i also loose alot of control so i dunno what to try next. im not looking for a quick fix but im struggling and playing badly at the moment beacuse of my change in rubbers on both FH and BH. played 1,9 05 tenergy on FH and 2.0 stiga carbo sound on BH before and that worked out quite fine. But the speed is nothing compared to playing with Lt sound now on BH. Well i guess there isnt anything else to do but to try it out and see if it works or not. just conserd just beacuse i know its gonna take some time to get used to and also we have noon playing short pips at my club so i really dont have anyone to ask for advice on strokes and so on so i guess i have to find it out the hard way =)
And u said that the 802-40 was sensitive to incoming spin? ive heard that the control is wery good on that particular rubber....

no where did you read that out from? its clearly insensitive to incoming spin compared to inverted(but more than 729-802 and 802-1). i just pointed out one weakness that you cant really produce topspins that have a sharp arc and dip onto the table well. hence why you should not hit balls on the decline because your margin for error will be very small

if you have an unconvential penhold style it might work just fine for you.
i was just pointing out that with more common penhold grip styles RPB is only really suitable for loop and counterloop(if you look at Ma Lin Xu Xin Liu Guoliang, their RPB is used exclusively for that. whereas wang hao might push/block with it too)

if you want very spin insensitive short pips regular 802(look up he zhi wen, one sided penholder pips hitter, he uses it) or 802-01 would be a better choice. And dont worry, youll get used to it just fine, wont take ages or anything

But the best idea imo would be to get a proper penhold grip Cry

Edited by crackfst - 05/11/2013 at 7:31pm
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:29pm
My recommendation is not to switch to short pips on RPB. If you have a weak backhand now, you will still have a weak backhand with short pips.

Basically you need to improve your RPB strokes whether inverted or SP.

Though you may think you have gained advantage of some players not used to SP, you lost the advantages of inverted. If you currently don't execute well with RPB with inverted, your problem is still there with SP.

I have used 802-40 and TSP Spectol on Shakehand backhand. I like Spectol more as I could attack better with Spectol against underspin.

I have developed a good blocking game and attacking game with Shakehand SP. When I discovered RPB inverted for me, I have more gears with RPB inverted.

Someone has already said that RPB has a closed angle and is not suited for SP. I agree. The proper stroke of RPB creates a very good angle for topspin.   You might have more problem of hitting the ball thru with SP.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:30pm
Ops crackfst my bad i read something wrong and i asumed u said that its sensitive to incoming spin.
I know its gonna be a big change to start to play with short pips but now i must try so i can feel for my self if this is for me or not.
I might love it or hate it, so im gonna glue on a sheet of 802-40 super soft 1,8 mm on tuesday and try it out. And if i like it i might try out spectol beacuse that seems to be the best overall short pips out there?!
Thanks for all the input guys/girls!? and happy balling to you all.
Now this crazy cpen playing swede is going to bed. Tongue

Style of weapons....

Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:34pm
[QUOTE=JacekGM] Okay, I speak neither of the two predominant Swedish language varieties, but... 
I played short pips on both sides (FH+BH) for a year and half. I went through a number of different pips (about eight?). 802-40 are very versatile pips, you can use them almost like an inverted rubber. For hitting the 2.0 mm is better. The problem I had with these pips was that the benefit of pips (little reaction to incoming spin) was not quite there, as well as the control on very week, close to the net yet spinny balls was a big problem for me. 
I personally would very strongly recommend the 802 pip for you, in 2.0 mm. These are very easy to play, easy to hit through loops and underspin, fast enough to be dangerous. I keep a sheet for myself in case I wanted to return. Also, there is a little of the in/famous wobble effect these pips generate, which is almost from the dark side of the TT arena (one of the reasons I finally decided to give it up). Another pip that is interesting is the TSP Spectol, but that one I found a little more difficult to master. 
Of course, there is always an alternative of using inverted that is not reactive to incoming spin, and other people will have great suggestions for you in that area.
[/QUOTE

I have sheet of this also, I agree that 802 2.0 is easier to play with more control. Again I haven't played with either much. Both do counter loop with a little adjustment to your stroke.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 7:44pm
you could always just try it.. its not like its going to set you back that much
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I have sheet of this also, I agree that 802 2.0 is easier to play with more control. Again I haven't played with either much. Both do counter loop with a little adjustment to your stroke.
I have played a lot with 802-40 and 802.   I prefer 802 2mm just because it does behave like a true SP whereas 802-40 is something in between.    802 1.5mm is too thin for aggressive  play.   1.5mm will work but it is hard to loop with it because the pips don't grab the ball that well but this is also that feature that makes 802 a little better for serve return if you return passively.   Also blocking is more difficult because there isn't much sponge to absorb the energy from a fast ball.   I view 802 1.5m as more of a defensive rubber. 

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2018 at 9:18pm
What difference between this and one on Mystery III sponge?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2018 at 10:51am

Ps forgot to writ that its a 802-40 super soft pro 1,8 mm... i just realized that and i cant find much info about the rubber so if anyone has used it i would appreciate to get some info on it...

802. 40 with 40+ its useless better play with 102 that is used by several pros   the only player i know with 802 40 is ahn shu former swedish league player
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic