FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Amazing comebacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing comebacks
    Posted: 05/22/2013 at 2:53pm
I decided to gather some of the greatest comeback videos here. Please do not hesitate to add

1) First one, imho, goes to Ma Lin vs Wang Jian Jun match - final of Chinese National Championships  (likely the toughest tournament in the world) of 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6PIWq_ZG4E

If you go to marker 17.10 you will see that WJJ was leading 3-1 and 10-3 (!!! he was playing really good and Ma Lin was seemingly crumbling under pressure; so WJJ has seven set/match/Championship points!). And then... well watch it and you will see what happened that day. What can I say - that certainly has changed WJJ career as well as his life, I bet.

2) Semifinal of ECL 2007. Vladimir Samsonov plays Timo Boll - now go to 4.10 and you will see that Timo leads 2-1 and 10-3 which means he has 7 matchballs. Well, go on, watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM6_yJUFjuQ

3) WTTC 2010 Moscow - in their team tie on May 27, 2010 girls from Slovakia play their former countrymates from Czech Republic (quite some pressure there, I imagine). Score is tied at 2-2 and in the last match Viera Marcekova (SVK) plays Katerina Penkavova (CZE) for the win..  they split the first four sets 2-2... and the Czech girl proceeds to whup her opponent in the final 5th game until the score is 10-2 (if I am not mistaken)... so she has eight(!) match/tie points. Slovakian girls on the bench do not even clap their hands to support their teammate anymore... And then something happens.

=== sorry cannot find that video right now; if you know the link please post it, and I will continue searching for it ===
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 2:57pm
I think you have to have Maze-Hao Shuai from the '05 Worlds!

Edited by zzzuppp - 05/22/2013 at 3:01pm
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 3:15pm
I think we should also throw Freitas against Pak from this recent WTTC in there. Not quite Maze Vs Hao Shuai, but still a nice comeback from being down 0-3.

Edited by Pondus - 05/23/2013 at 8:29am
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 3:18pm
Bojan Tokic - Timo Boll (2-9 to 11-9) (German Cup 2012)

Zhag Jike - Patrick Baum (5-10 to 12-10) (WTTC 2013)

Bastian Steger - Ryu Seung Min (2-10 to 13-11) (Pro tour grand finals 2010)

Wang Liqin - Xu Xin (1-8 to 13-11) (China trials for WTTC 2013)

Zhang Jike - Jun Mizutani (0-3 to 4-3 in games) (WC 2010) 

Ma Lin - Petr Korbel (3-7 to 11-9) (WTTC 2005)

Edited by Vihito - 05/22/2013 at 3:28pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2013 at 8:27pm
Nice! Thank you guys!

How could I forget Michael Maze vs Hao Shuai comeback?? I am really getting senile...

Still cannot find that video of women's match Slovakia vs Czech Rep. Will keep on looking but perhaps someone could help... maybe someone from Czech Rep./Slovakia can search for it on local forums?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 12:40am
I think we should make the following rules for the comebacks as people are citing too many OK comebacks which are not really "amazing":

1) The loser must have had at least three match points, likely more, and the winner must have been down at least 1 game at that point if it wasn't the deciding set.

2) If it was the deciding set, the winner must have been down at least 6 match points.

3) If the comeback was from 10-0, it doesn't matter what the score was at that point or who won the whole match if the person down 0-10 came back to win that set.

I know there was a doubles match where a team came down from 0-10 to win a game during the WTTC 2013.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 1:32am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I think we should make the following rules for the comebacks as people are citing too many OK comebacks which are not really "amazing":

1) The loser must have had at least three match points, likely more, and the winner must have been down at least 1 game at that point if it wasn't the deciding set.

2) If it was the deciding set, the winner must have been down at least 6 match points.

3) If the comeback was from 10-0, it doesn't matter what the score was at that point or who won the whole match if the person down 0-10 came back to win that set.

I know there was a doubles match where a team came down from 0-10 to win a game during the WTTC 2013.

Not sure if there's really a need to make specific rules, but I'd agree that a comeback from 7-3 shouldn't have been listed here Ouch I'm with you on the not so amazing part. 

Edited by cmetsbeltran15 - 05/23/2013 at 1:32am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 1:26pm

I'd say that to qualify for "amazing" the match should satisfy the following two conditions:

1) high pressure/major competition
2) at least five (5) match points are converted to win the match OR
    at least eight (8) match points are converted and set won (but match is later lost nevertheless) OR
  at least eight points difference in score (8-0, 9-1) is eliminated and the set and match are won

By these rules WLQ's comeback vs Ma Lin in 2007 WTTC MS final (from being down 1-3 in sets and 1-7 down in the fifth) is, alas, not "amazing" - although it is awesome.

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I'd say that to qualify for "amazing" the match should satisfy the following two conditions:1) high pressure/major competition2) at least five (5) match points are converted to win the match OR    at least eight (8) match points are converted and set won (but match is later lost nevertheless) OR  at least eight points difference in score (8-0, 9-1) is eliminated and the set and match are wonBy these rules WLQ's comeback vs Ma Lin in 2007 WTTC MS final (from being down 1-3 in sets and 1-7 down in the fifth) is, alas, not "amazing" - although it is awesome.

I think you can call those turnarounds instead, or less amazing comebacks.

I think there was Guo Yue who beat Li Xiaoxia, in 2007? Don't remember how much Guo Yue was down.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

I'd say that to qualify for "amazing" the match should satisfy the following two conditions:1) high pressure/major competition2) at least five (5) match points are converted to win the match OR    at least eight (8) match points are converted and set won (but match is later lost nevertheless) OR  at least eight points difference in score (8-0, 9-1) is eliminated and the set and match are wonBy these rules WLQ's comeback vs Ma Lin in 2007 WTTC MS final (from being down 1-3 in sets and 1-7 down in the fifth) is, alas, not "amazing" - although it is awesome.

I think you can call those turnarounds instead, or less amazing comebacks.

I think there was Guo Yue who beat Li Xiaoxia, in 2007? Don't remember how much Guo Yue was down.

I know that some turnarounds/comebacks are great, but those that involve the pressure of saving  multiple matchpoints in a row are just a different animal altogether and that is where I think Jim T was going.  To have all these one-set comebacks posted was getting a bit sad - I am not saying my rules have to be followed, but I just wanted to stop that trend.

Now, back to the topic - doesn anyone have the match that we are all dying to see - Yan An - Zhang Jike where Zhang Jike was 10-4 in the seventh and proceeded to lose? Big smile
Cybershape Carbon
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 3:41pm
Kasumi in the 2011 WTTC is probably one of the best comebacks i've ever seen.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

Kasumi in the 2011 WTTC is probably one of the best comebacks i've ever seen.
=================================
Does anyone have this video?
skip3119
yuter View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2013 at 5:55pm
Samsonov - Ma Long in semifinal of World Cup 2009 ( comeback from 5-10 to 14-12 in 5th set)
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 3:55am
ma lin korbel is worthy because of the circumstance. sure only 3-7, but LGL gets ejected and tournaments were more intense back then. The energy was a lot higher. And it's the 7th game. I think any 7th game comeback is worthy because you really have to dig. 
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 7:41am
On another slant, have you guys ever been totally out of a game and given up say at 2:8 down?
You then relax and start hitting the ball to get it over and done with. But the shots keep on landing and suddenly you find yourself at 6-8 or 7-9 and back in the game.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 9:51am

Now, back to the topic - doesn anyone have the match that we are all dying to see - Yan An - Zhang Jike where Zhang Jike was 10-4 in the seventh and proceeded to lose? Big smile

Where/when was this one played?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 10:57am

Where/when was this one played?

I think the Korean open.  There was no ITTF camera on that table.

Edited by NextLevel - 05/24/2013 at 10:58am
Cybershape Carbon
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 11:04am
The best one is Gatien or Legout ( I don't remember exactly) against Adrian Crisan many years ago. 20:4 for Crisan...20:15 ....(Adrian's coach laughing in front of the cameras)....20:22 .....
LOL
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 6:58pm
Watch at 5:20 and enjoy!!!

My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 4:47pm
Any more "amazing comebacks", guys? Still cannot find that Slovakia - Czech Rep. women's match... perhaps one of our forummers from those countries knows what I am talking about and could find it for us...? TiBiKe? anyone?

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 5:15pm
This does not satisfy the conditions but I find it the most memorable comeback given the importance of the competition:

Schlager-Wang Liqin  Paris 2003 WTTC

The indisputable #1 in the world, reigning World Champion at peak of his form (after the 2001 edition he would win 2005 and 2007 wttc) is leading 3-2 in games and has 4 match points in this wttc 1/4 finals; he let the game slip between his fingers and fell apart in the deciding game.

The Austrian man's achievement is even more incredible when confirmed by another win in the 1/2 v. the grand slam winner KLH and the final win v. JSH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GX_k7f3xGkU&t=434

All those hundred hours of serve practice paid off that day; and the guts under pressure; and that forearm snap at 7-10 answering wlq's fast fh along the line returning a fast serve from his bh corner...it was all magical.

stepheN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepheN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 8:43pm
Wang Xi vs. Shibaev, Champions League 2010, Fulda vs. Ekaterinburg

Shibaev led 2:0 in sets (best of 5 sets, teammatch), 10:3. Then the party started:

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by stepheN stepheN wrote:

Shibaev led 2:0 in sets (best of 5 sets, teammatch), 10:3. Then the party started:

Oh yes, I forgot that one... Thanks!

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by stepheN stepheN wrote:

that was fun to watch.
In that video comments, there is a reference to a magnificent comeback from Ma Lin:

Quote "The greatest comeback of all time was Ma Lin vs Wang Jianjun in 2003. Ma Lin was 0-3 down 3-10 down in the 4th set. But he managed to pull a magnificent comeback and win the match by 4-3!"

the comment might be wrong in score and date but I was happy that it leaded me to watch this. Per the video title it happens in 2006 and  it's the China National Table Tennis Championship Men's Single Final.
Ma Lin is down 3-10 and 1-3 in games; he's got to save 7 match points in the 5th game to stay alive in the match; in stepheN's words, may the party begin. Big smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k6PIWq_ZG4E&t=1028

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 9:49pm
I AM SO DUMB; it's referenced in the OP...Confused (that I watched a long time ago). sorry.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Schlager-Wang Liqin  Paris 2003 WTTC

This is my all-time favorite for all the reasons fatt mentions.  WLQ was at that time or less unbeatable, and Werner Schlager at that time just another guy (with a really good serve).

But its a great collection. 

I wish I could do it.  My habit is to catch people from far behind and then still manage to lose the deuce game.  Cry
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

My habit is to catch people from far behind and then still manage to lose the deuce game.  Cry
I am trying to get better at this: what I find important is NOT being happy for coming back at 10-10 (If I am facing 4 game points I focus on winning 6 in a row). If I still have my time out I take it then and tell myself: "2 points match bud; you can do it".

I notice Schlager in the match above celebrates big time when he cancels the 4th match point out to level at 10-10; I think it is a mistake to do so at my level; obviously not at his.

snerdly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2013 at 11:50pm
A guy who won against me regularly told me that he worried most when I was behind nearing the end of a game.  If I was leading at the end of a game he felt comfortable.
His point was that I would fight hard when behind and relax when ahead. 

Learn your own psychology.

Edited by snerdly - 08/29/2013 at 6:22am
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 12:15am
You can't forget Kreanga!

Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by snerdly snerdly wrote:

A guy who won against me regularly told me that he worried most when I was behind nearing the end of a game.  If I was leading at the end of a game he felt comfortable.
His point was that I would fight hard when behind and relax when ahead. 

Learn your own psychology.

Psychology is very important there. I have a clubmate who plays with vicious LPs on his BH (he plays Japanese penhold... no kidding!) but he is not using them often. However, when he falls far behind... like 1-5 or 3-8 etc, he will start use them more and more, sometimes all the time, twiddling the racket etc. Noticing that, I started doing the following - when I lead him 2-3 points I start playing a bit less carefully, going for crazy shots etc, allowing him to always be within 1-2 points from me. This way he plays with inverted practically all the time which makes it much easier for me to pull out a win. I wonder if he ever realized that...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic