FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS PG-12 and PG-13

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2014 at 10:09pm
Xiom ZQ is a little more stiffer than DHS PG12.
On pushes & soft drop shots, you can feel the ball better with PG12.
Blocking feels better with PG12.

FH Loop drives are great with both.

ZQ is a touch faster  - but each one of us makes the speed

I want to remove the Calibra Tour M on my backhand due to the lack of grip spin, but it gives so superb blocks 
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
Sponsored Links

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2014 at 11:46pm
Thank you.. Dwell time between ZQ and PG-12?

Thanks
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 1:48am
Dwell time is definitely a little more on PG12, not by much. Very noticeable on FH drives & loops. The feeling of the hinoki on ZQ is addicting though.

Take note,  the skinnier handle of PG12 may not be for everyone. 
Andro Treiber Z - fl
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2014 at 3:08am
Thanks, I can't stand skinny handles.
Even both of my ZQ I had a pro insert thin wood inserts to make them 1 mm thicker.

aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2015 at 1:25am
Anyone else tried H Hao 3 vs PG 13? TTNPP has Hao3 on sale at $93. It is good price compare to $155. But is it any different tha PG13 @ $30? Even there is some how better but not much, I might try to get Hao3. Just scare they are the same DeadDead .

I play with PG13 and kind of like it. A tad slower than I wish but good feeling.
roypnoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roypnoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2015 at 12:34pm
I'm in the US.  Any trust worthy online store that sells the DHS PG13?
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2015 at 2:57am
Try Eacheng.net .
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2015 at 9:52am
is PG12 play similar to King 3?
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

is PG12 play similar to King 3?

Yes but not the same selection of woods and quality control. 

Same for PG7 compared to TG506 for example. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2015 at 9:12am
thanks
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2015 at 12:05am
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Anyone else tried H Hao 3 vs PG 13?

I liked PG13 more. HH3 was a layer selection overkill. HH2 is still the best, at least for me.
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 7:12am
Hi all, I finally managed to test pg13.

First of all, I should say that I am currently a very satisfied pg2 user. I find pg2 an exceptional blade. Very fast and high throw at the same time. Hard, but with medium and soft rubbers it is not a problem. The speed comes from the hardness and thicknes of the koto layer, and from the spring of spruce. And the high arc comes from the very high flex.

The rubbers I am using are tibhar evolution el-p on forehand and fx-p on backhand.

Now to pg13. What about it? I am sorry to say that this blade is really bad. The problem is that the carbon in the middle alters the properties so much, and in a bad way (with respect to PG2,PG3,PG12). Let me explain. The single carbon-arylate layer in the middle makes the blade very stiff at low and medium power, and then at max power it suddenly (and nonlinearly) bends. The result is you get low throw at low and medium power, and then suddenly high throw. No middle ground.

the high stiffness at low and medium power makes some shots very difficult. Example: they forehand flick to your backhand. Being a forehand flick, it is a drive, little spin and mostly speed. Now you need to loop it off-the-bounce with your backhand using only your wrist. Good luck doing that with PG13: it is nearly impossible. Very easy with PG2.

Counterloop is powerful but unpredictable: sometimes it does not bend and throws low. A bit more power, it flexes and it shoots high and off the table.

As an extra downside, it is not fast as I was expecting. In fact, my pg2, while looping at low and medium power, is surely faster. (Though at high power, it is not.) This could be due either to the absence of the spruce layer, or to the position of the carbon layer, which being in the middle might absorb power and dissipate it. (for comparison: Clipper CC is much faster than PG13 in all gears, from low to high.)

The touch is also bad, see below.

The same day I also tried Hurricane King III (which by the way is supposedly like PG12) and it is totally different from pg13. HKIII flexes from the very beginning, even at low power, as you can also predict before playing, by bending it with your hands. As a result, H.King III is consistently high throw --- and very powerful and spinny. The perfect blade for loopers, I'd say. Faster than PG13, but with better control and better touch at the same time, and much more arc.

This "bad" behavior I found in pg13 (that it is stiff and suddenly bends at max power, shooting too high) is also present in other blades with carbon near the core, notably Waldner Ultra Carbon. (I also found this behavior in Infinity VPS V, though it does not have carbon.)

PG13 also has a bad touch, with bad vibrations, and a sensation of lack of springiness. This cannot be due to the carbon layer, because KingIII does not have this problem. So it probably comes either from the absence of the spruce layer, or from the position of the carbon layer.

The only upside I can find in PG13 is that passive block is very good.

Bottom line: stay away from this blade. PG2, PG3, and HKingIII (and therefore supposedly PG12) are much better blades.

Edited by seguso - 03/15/2016 at 11:38am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

So we now know that the name and pic of Wang Hao and WLQ cost $100 each on top of the actual blade. Nice one DHS. 

ZJK name on BTTY costs $100-$300usd, TB and MJ a little less. How about that?

The DHS PG13's official price is 245 yuan in China compare to 1500 yuan of H-Hao 3. Online price is more like 150 yuan vs 800 to 1000+ yuan. That is 6 folds no less. Don't think Butterfly is actually doing the same. All their ALC blades are similarly priced with or without player's name except the new ZJK, which cost about 30% more, not 600% like DH$. Confused

BTW my DHS PG7's quality is every inch as good as any of my H-Hao and King for under 100 yuan.

Innerforce alc outer ply is made of 2 pieces.a ripp off in a 200$+ blade
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2016 at 11:36pm
Not sure what the heck your PG13 is way different than mines. What is you regular blade?
My reg blade is ZJ ZLC and IF ZLC with H3 and T05FX . 
My experience with PG13. 
PG13 is medium throw at med to high speed. Fresh switch to it, I played 150 points lower guy. He came off state. His style BH push blocker and FH attack. I thought I would be in trouble. As I was not familiar with blade yet and opponent was a push blocker who would force me to make errors. I would be hard to determine the kill angle or proper spin and depth of placement. Strange, I dominated and even felt really bad as his points each game only 3-5 points . The blade was such a good looper blade. It had good control and spinny.  Later session I played with my friend at same level. He beat me but the games were close and fun. 
Con: The blade is not powerful. If you don't have core strength in you, it will be hard to finish the points with good blockers.
It is a good blade. And with price at around $30, it is the Hell of the deal. Big smile

PS. I could not resist  it. I bought 2 more. 

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2016 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

I want to remove the Calibra Tour M on my backhand due to the lack of grip spin, but it gives so superb blocks 

Is your zq solid feeling?
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2016 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Is your zq solid feeling?

Yes it is.  @90g
I had used Calibra LT 2.0 on fh and OmegaIV Europe 2.0 on bh. It feels a bit head heavy still.

Next week, I'm changing both rubbers to get it a bit lighter, but still maintain speed & spin

Andro Treiber Z - fl
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2016 at 3:03am
I finally tried pg12 yesterday and it does play like Hurricane King III. the touch is a bit different, cheaper, as if the wood is lower quality (as it probably is). But it does play the same!

Most importantly, pg12 does not have the problems of pg13. the pg12 flexes even at low power, so the throw is consistently high. the pg13 is a lot stiffer. (and as I said, flexes nonlinearly.)

My pg12 is noticeably thinner than pg13, and of pg3. It is probably even thinner than pg2.

the pg12 is a great blade with a lot of power. Much faster than pg2, and still the transition from pg2 is not difficult. You do need to adjust a bit because the throw is a bit lower in all situations, but not much. It is not a different world like pg13. (And if you are used to Pg3, probably the transition to PG12 will be almost immediate.)

pg12 reminds me of Timo Boll Spirit, but the Spirit is probably stiffer and a bit faster. the touch of spirit is more metallic, less woody. with pg12 you feel the ball a lot.

The thickness of the outer koto layer in pg2 is a bit uneven. it seems thicker in the handle than in the face. In the handle, it is as thick as the second layer, but in the face it is thinner. this leads me to believe the pg12 is a HKIII which failed the quality control. Which also explains why PG12 and PG13 exist.

Edited by seguso - 04/01/2016 at 3:17am
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2016 at 3:14am
Update: I want to add that PG12 is now my main blade. I tested it extensively in competition and it is incredible. The amount of power and control is impressive. This thing is faster (in loops) than Timo Boll Spirit and Timo Boll Alc , and at the same time much more flexible. so it has a lot more control in openings. Also blocks better than TBALC. The drawback? It is harder than both blades. Very, very hard. As a consequence, keeping service short is very difficult. And I mean very. It will require a change of technique. For comparison, the same service with Timo Boll ALC will bounce like 30 cm shorter.

But the advantage of using PG12 in the open game is just huge. I now want to try more blades like this (very thin, with carbon near the outer layers) assuming there are any.

Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

I finally tried pg12 yesterday and it does play like Hurricane King III. the touch is a bit different, cheaper, as if the wood is lower quality (as it probably is). But it does play the same!

Most importantly, pg12 does not have the problems of pg13. the pg12 flexes even at low power, so the throw is consistently high. the pg13 is a lot stiffer. (and as I said, flexes nonlinearly.)

My pg12 is noticeably thinner than pg13, and of pg3. It is probably even thinner than pg2.

the pg12 is a great blade with a lot of power. Much faster than pg2, and still the transition from pg2 is not difficult. You do need to adjust a bit because the throw is a bit lower in all situations, but not much. It is not a different world like pg13. (And if you are used to Pg3, probably the transition to PG12 will be almost immediate.)

pg12 reminds me of Timo Boll Spirit, but the Spirit is probably stiffer and a bit faster. the touch of spirit is more metallic, less woody. with pg12 you feel the ball a lot.

The thickness of the outer koto layer in pg2 is a bit uneven. it seems thicker in the handle than in the face. In the handle, it is as thick as the second layer, but in the face it is thinner. this leads me to believe the pg12 is a HKIII which failed the quality control. Which also explains why PG12 and PG13 exist.

Edited by seguso - 04/18/2016 at 3:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic