Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Who can make me a custom blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dstamat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstamat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who can make me a custom blade?
    Posted: 05/25/2013 at 3:49pm

Hello there,

I would like to replace my current blade, Butterfly Cresail, with one which will have better control, be a bit lighter (95-100gr compared to the 120gr of the Cresail) but which will maintain the excellent speed and acceleration ("explosiveness") of the Cresail. I would also like the new blade to be "head-heavy" i.e. most of the weight on the head and not the handle.

So far I have not been able to find a ready made blade which would satisfy all these criteria. Do you know of any person/company who can build a blade to spec?

Thank you in advance

Dimitris

Sponsored Links

weestenosis View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 3:58pm
Rossleidy.com
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 4:02pm
OSP Blades
Blades by Charlie

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 4:22pm
Valor FB-515, or if you prefer a carbon blade I make two: X-1 and X-3. Check them out. I make and keep plenty in stock.

valortabletennis.com

Edited by gnopgnipster - 05/25/2013 at 4:23pm
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

jetrider76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetrider76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 5:00pm
I have no experince yet from either OSP or rosslaidy im thouh waiting for ross to contact m for a custom blade hope thats gonna be soon =) And im also waint to test out the carbon OSP blade also but the speccs ur looking for then i would reccomend stiga hybrid wood nct thats an awsome vlade with alor ot power and also alot of control and ebough dwell to be pretty easy to play with.
Dont llok at the speccs so mych if u read about the blade but i suits me perfect and i love the power it brings to my game in blocking,looping and so on. Its a hard bat and head heavy also if u like that in a blade... I have it myself now in cpen though but ive owned it also in a shakehand and its awsome, dont understand why more dosent play with ut its a gem=)
Style of weapons....

Cpen Stiga Hybrid wood NCT
Calibra LT sound 2,0 FH
802-40 super soft short pip BH

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 9:00pm
OSP blades are very good they have really good feel and ballance. ive bought a blade from ross before and it was well put together but didnt suit me anyway.. but his craftsmanship is not to be looked down on he will do his best to make a blade to your specification
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 9:48pm
Is it not possible to order custom blades from Butterfly? Since it was originally manufactured by them - they might be able to still make it with a custom order.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
bandadacota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bandadacota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 11:08pm
you can try Yinhe, price is not as expensive, and the quality is a match for any other custom blade maker.  
Just need to tell them the wood type and the thickness and the ideal weigth, i'm sure they will give you the answer.

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2013 at 6:04am
Originally posted by bandadacota bandadacota wrote:

you can try Yinhe, price is not as expensive, and the quality is a match for any other custom blade maker.  
Just need to tell them the wood type and the thickness and the ideal weigth, i'm sure they will give you the answer.

Sorry I have to disagree. I had a Yinhe custom, an OSP and now my third Ross Leidy blade and Yinhe is not in the same league as the other two.
They make pretty good quality commercial blades and customs of the same quality, but not like Ross or OSP.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2013 at 12:17pm
Butterfly does not make a custom blade in a sense that they have to make the blade according to our specifications. In a different meaning, Butterfly can make a C-pen or J-pen from a type that is already available in the shake hand version, and vice versa. Or if you like a measurement or shape of a blade but you want it in different composition, Butterfly can make it, but you have to take everything from what has been manufactured by Butterfly. Other than that, they will not do it.
Further, ordering a custom blade has a risk that you will not like the blade when you received it. The way a blade perform cannot be described in words accurately, because when we say one thing, other people could have different opinion. So when ordering a custom blade you must be prepared that you might be disappointed. I do hope that you will find the blade that you are seeking for. Good luck !
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2013 at 10:32am
Dont think there would be any problem if you were to contact butterfly to request for a custom cresail of your desired weight since it was manufactured by butterfly to begin with.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2013 at 8:17pm
rossleidy
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Durangogun View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durangogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2013 at 11:42pm
I have not had a great deal of experience with custom blades--but I did go through a period when I tried a great many name brand blades. When I finally had a pretty good idea what I wanted in a blade, I asked Ross Leidy to build me one.

I ended up choosing one of his a standard models (Sotto Voce) with a mahogany outer ply, ash edging to protect the somewhat fragile balsa core, a beautiful piece of Yucatan rosewood for the flared handle and the handle milled to adjust the balance so the blade would be slightly head heavy.

The weight came in at 83.9g.

The cost was very reasonable considering the amount of work involved, the quality of the woods used, the attention to detail and the voluminous email correspondence that passed between us. I might easily have spent more for a high-end name-brand model and it would not have had anywhere near the quality of construction or the custom touches suited to my own personal desires.

Once I found a rubber that brought out the qualities I desired in the blade (it took two tries), nothing I have ever played with has suited my game as well.

I don't want to embarrass Ross with this post, but you can ask anyone who has ever worked with him and they will tell you the same thing--he is a gracious person, he is a profoundly skilled craftsman whose work is unparalleled, he is an honorable man who works hard to give you a blade you will be pleased with, he is an artist who understands that the aesthetic qualities of the blade add immeasurably to the great pleasure we find in this elegant game.

He builds a blade that doesn't just play very well--it is beautiful.

I own only one Ross Leidy blade--and I still have many others. 
My Sotto Voce is the only blade I seem to want to play with anymore.

I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but my experience with Ross was so pleasant, and my satisfaction with my blade is so high, I can't help it.

This is my Sotto Voce:

I'd suggest that anyone who is looking for a custom blade should email Ross.

If he can build the blade you want, he'll tell you.
If he can't, I'm sure he would tell you that, as well.

A previous poster answered the original question far more simply:

"rossleidy"

Stiga Carbo 7.6 WRB
Calibra LT Plus

Ross Leidy Sotto Voce (Mahogany outer)
Stiga Boost TX

Rick Smith Tricky 1 (Purpleheart/Carbon/Balsa)
Stiga Boost TX
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durangogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 7:16pm
I know this thread has been finished for a while--
but I just received a custom blade from Rick Smith and it is simply gorgeous.

Like Ross's Sotto Voce, it's a fast balsa core blade (Rick's is a carbon/balsa blade with a purpleheart outer ply) and I expect it to have all of the attributes I like about balsa core blades . . .

I've had a minor back injury and won't be able to play with it until next week.

I'll post more about the blade after I've played with it, but as far as appearance and craftsmanship go the blade is stunning.

I'll get some photos up on Photobucket and post links as well, but Rick is definitely another blade maker to consider if anyone is looking for a custom blade.

Like Ross, Rick has another job and he doesn't make blades full time. I don't know how many he makes or how many models (this one that is a standard model is the type of blade I prefer). I thought his name should definitely be mentioned here along with Ross's. Both are consummate craftsmen. Both are thoughtful and gracious and a pleasure to work with and get to know.

Rick Smith

Edited by Durangogun - 06/26/2013 at 7:54pm
Stiga Carbo 7.6 WRB
Calibra LT Plus

Stiga Boost TX

Stiga Boost TX
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durangogun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 7:30pm
Here are links to photos of my Rick Smith blade:

Edited by Durangogun - 06/26/2013 at 7:50pm
Stiga Carbo 7.6 WRB
Calibra LT Plus

Stiga Boost TX

Stiga Boost TX
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 1:35am
Blades By Charlie
Ross
Borko
Robert Palatinus osp
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
cherng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 1:03am
Any of the custom blade maker can produce ZLC blade?
Yoshimura Maharu Limited Edition

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Tenergy 64
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 5:38am
For ZLC blade you can try Soulspin.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 9:32am
Blade maker Casa, also goes by Singodly,  is really good with ZLC! Look on ebay and old posts here. Was living in New York city.
Very high quality and will make exactly what you want.
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by JoeB JoeB wrote:

Blade maker Casa, also goes by Singodly,  is really good with ZLC! Look on ebay and old posts here. Was living in New York city.
Very high quality and will make exactly what you want.

But also not cheap.
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 10:35pm
Anymore info on CASA/singodly

Can't find him online
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2018 at 11:02pm
I would consider a Butterfly Mazunov at this point. The Cresail seems to be comparable according to more than one review I have read.

https://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=b-mazunov

You can contact the seller and request a blade with a weight of your choice, as long as that weight is within the range of that blade design.

FdT
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2018 at 2:43am
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

Anymore info on CASA/singodly

Can't find him online

You can find him on WeChat from his posts in For Sale section.
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic