Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

U.S. Open Challenge Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 10:21am
I been watching most of the games and it certainly appears to me that the officials are calling a lot of the serves, I wished they would just let them play.   
Shifter
Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

About the match of Masato Shiono vs Timothy Wang.

Too much nitpicking from the umpire and the scorekeeper (the referee is never called in) - totally ruin the match.  Tim just couldn't concentrate to play - woryying more about the umpire & scorekeeper than his opponent, Masato.

unfair to the players as well as on-site audiences and internet viewers.

*** Normally the scorekeeper doesn't play much of a role in a match, but not in this case. ***
*** A very strange situation, indeed. ***
Hey, if an umpire can ruin the Women's final (gold medal match) in the Olympics, they certainly should be able to ruin an early round match in the US Open OuchDead

The referee was called in.  One of the commentators (Sean O'neill) pointed out that Tim was talking to the referee (who was out of camera shot) on the side.

Frankly, Tim kind of made the situation worse for himself by showing the ball to the assistant umpire before every serve.  Not only did it take away his concentration on playing the match, it made a loud statement to the umpires, "hey, I'm showing you up - dare to call my serve." 

You can bet they paid even more close attention to his serves after he started doing that.  His coach, Massi, should have told him to stop doing that.

Despite all that, Tim played a great match.
I felt awkward every time Tim served, and wished the match ended quickly. I didn't really care who would win then. I didn't know why the ref didn't call Tim and the coach over and say 'look this is how I want it done, deal with it or be done.' I never like ref calling on serve, but once it's called, player needs to deal with it. I can understand Tim is frustrated playing weird ball from a chopper, and here a ref calling on stupid minor stuff... But carried it on for the whole match is just too much. 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 11:10am
Can not find any info about this player,  LI Tianyu.
(When only 16 players left, he is still there.  In position 12.)

ITTF and Rating's Central do not have this player's info.

Is he in CNT B team?

Edited by skip3119 - 07/05/2013 at 11:11am
skip3119
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 11:24am
The ball was higher up on Tim's palm than one would expect but I couldn't see why it became the focus of the refereeing.  It was hard to see what if any advantage what was giving Tim and the goal is to prevent the toss from starting in the fingers..  I also couldn't distinguish between what Tim did when he was faulted and what he did when he was not.  In in any case, I doubt it would have changed the result, but I think the nitpicking by the refs made Tim's behavior inevitable.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

About the match of Masato Shiono vs Timothy Wang.

Too much nitpicking from the umpire and the scorekeeper (the referee is never called in) - totally ruin the match.  Tim just couldn't concentrate to play - woryying more about the umpire & scorekeeper than his opponent, Masato.

unfair to the players as well as on-site audiences and internet viewers.

*** Normally the scorekeeper doesn't play much of a role in a match, but not in this case. ***
*** A very strange situation, indeed. ***
Hey, if an umpire can ruin the Women's final (gold medal match) in the Olympics, they certainly should be able to ruin an early round match in the US Open OuchDead

The referee was called in.  One of the commentators (Sean O'neill) pointed out that Tim was talking to the referee (who was out of camera shot) on the side.

Frankly, Tim kind of made the situation worse for himself by showing the ball to the assistant umpire before every serve.  Not only did it take away his concentration on playing the match, it made a loud statement to the umpires, "hey, I'm showing you up - dare to call my serve." 

You can bet they paid even more close attention to his serves after he started doing that.  His coach, Massi, should have told him to stop doing that.

Despite all that, Tim played a great match.

If Tim could have distinguished between what he did when the calls were made and what he did when the calls were not made, it would have been easier for him not to show the ball.
Cybershape Carbon
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 11:30am
Round of 16 features Shiono vs. the very impressive Yuan Xiaojie, and Wang Zhen vs. Wang Qingliang...not betting on it, but we could see an upset or close battle in one of those. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

Round of 16 features Shiono vs. the very impressive Yuan Xiaojie, and Wang Zhen vs. Wang Qingliang...not betting on it, but we could see an upset or close battle in one of those. 

Don't bet on it - you would definitely lose your money in the latter as Wang Zhen destroys everyone in North America comfortably - I mean, Wang Qingliang lost to Wenzhang Tao who I do not consider on the same level as Wang Zhen.  The former might be interesting but only because both players do not know each other. 
Cybershape Carbon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 11:39am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Don't bet on it - you would definitely lose your money in the latter as Wang Zhen destroys everyone in North America comfortably - I mean, Wang Qingliang lost to Wenzhang Tao who I do not consider on the same level as Wang Zhen.  The former might be interesting but only because both players do not know each other. 

Tao Wenzhang beat WZ at Baltimore in 2011, and has recent wins over Fan Zhendong and Xu Chenhao. I do still think Zhen and Shiono will pull out the wins, but one or both could be surprisingly close, esp. Yuan vs Shiono Beer
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 12:11pm
Tao Wenzhang beat WZ at Baltimore in 2011.
================================

Yes indeed. 

At his age, Tao should have improved a lot - between 2011 and now.

Oops, Tao made negative progress, while WZ, the much older player, made huge positive progress.
skip3119
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by assasin8 assasin8 wrote:

This is my first US Open.  Wow.  A lot of kids, high level from here and abroad.  I would like to post two comments:

I had a conversation with a Canadian parent who lamented CTTA is so much unfair in continuing to recruit Chinese players and let them play for Canada in a short time.  If a Canadian wins or finish very high in an ITTF tournament, CTTA gets some $$$ from Canada sport - maybe like the equivalent of USOC.

I overheard two coaches lament the blatant understating of age of several Chinese hitting partners / coaches that are playing in the cadet event.  One coach said, it is already questionable if they played in the junior event, but to top this off - it is the cadet event that they are entered in!  Zhang Xiangjing, Qi Wei and Guo Hao were some of names mentioned as looking too old to play in the junior teams last tuesday.  Understating of age is not only unfair, it is bad for the sport.

I understand what you're saying. But most of the time it's just speculation. For example, if you speak face to face with Qi Wei or Guo Hao, you can believe they are under 21. I'm pretty sure Qi Wei is only 18, and I have no problem believing it. I think he's still in high school or just graduated. Just because they have muscular cores and legs, that's from table tennis training constantly. If a player hits puberty at any kind of normal time, he's going to be pretty built by his late teens because of the work he puts in. Especially if you are northern chinese. 

Yuan Xiaojie is the only one I didn't believe... I thought that guy was late 20's early 30's when I first saw him play. But having two knee straps might have added to the illusion. 

Edited by beeray1 - 07/05/2013 at 12:58pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

This is my first US Open.  Wow.  A lot of kids, high level from here and abroad.  I would like to post two comments:

I had a conversation with a Canadian parent who lamented CTTA is so much unfair in continuing to recruit Chinese players and let them play for Canada in a short time.  If a Canadian wins or finish very high in an ITTF tournament, CTTA gets some $$$ from Canada sport - maybe like the equivalent of USOC.

I overheard two coaches lament the blatant understating of age of several Chinese hitting partners / coaches that are playing in the cadet event.  One coach said, it is already questionable if they played in the junior event, but to top this off - it is the cadet event that they are entered in!  Zhang Xiangjing, Qi Wei and Guo Hao were some of names mentioned as looking too old to play in the junior teams last tuesday.  Understating of age is not only unfair, it is bad for the sport.

I understand what you're saying. But most of the time it's just speculation. For example, if you speak face to face with Qi Wei or Guo Hao, you can believe they are under 21. I'm pretty sure Qi Wei is only 18, and I have no problem believing it. I think he's still in high school or just graduated. Just because they have muscular cores and legs, that's from table tennis training constantly. If a player hits puberty at any kind of normal time, he's going to be pretty built by his late teens because of the work he puts in. Especially if you are northern chinese. 

Yuan Xiaojie is the only one I didn't believe... I thought that guy was late 20's early 30's when I first saw him play. But having two knee straps might have added to the illusion. 

I know for a fact that many of the players do indeed have understated ages. However, in many cases they are still eligible for some of the events, i.e they are entered in U21 and are actually 19 but say 17 etc. Many of the players are pretty open about it once you get to know them. But assassin made a really bad choice to name SPECIFIC people based purely on speculation. 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 1:17pm

Tao Wenzhang beat WZ at Baltimore in 2011.

Yes indeed. 

At his age, Tao should have improved a lot - between 2011 and now.

Oops, Tao made negative progress, while WZ, the much older player, made huge positive progress.
Exactly. Wang Zhen is improving.
Cybershape Carbon
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 1:28pm

In my best estimate Qi Wei is in his early 20s. Yuan Xiaojie looks like he is 30 years old. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him in U21 competition.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 1:39pm

I know for a fact that many of the players do indeed have understated ages. However, in many cases they are still eligible for some of the events, i.e they are entered in U21 and are actually 19 but say 17 etc. Many of the players are pretty open about it once you get to know them. But assassin made a really bad choice to name SPECIFIC people based purely on speculation. 

Why?  Is it based purely on speculation?
Cybershape Carbon
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 2:15pm
Yes it's speculation because you'd think they'd verify ages of the competitors.
So it's B.S talk by coaches or spectators vs official documents stating their age.

If they don't verify ages then the players who lie should be penalized and the organizers seriously need to get their act together.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 2:21pm
Again, it's a judgment better made if you've ever had a conversation with the guy. There's no way Qi Wei is in his 20's. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 2:29pm

Again, it's a judgment better made if you've ever had a conversation with the guy. There's no way Qi Wei is in his 20's. 
I have talked to him quite a few times.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 2:37pm

Can not find any info about this player,  LI Tianyu.
(When only 16 players left, he is still there.  In position 12.)

ITTF and Rating's Central do not have this player's info.

Is he in CNT B team?
=========================================

Li Tianyu just beat Chen Hongtao in U-21 event.

Still can not find any info about this player, Li Tianyu.

Does anyone know his Chinese name?
skip3119

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 2:53pm
Only table one stream is working.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

Only table one stream is working.
=======================================

Same here.  Table 2 is not working.
Missed Tao Wenzhang's match on table 2.
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 3:22pm
beeray1 said:
"Yuan Xiaojie is the only one I didn't believe... I thought that guy was late 20's early 30's when I first saw him play. But having two knee straps might have added to the illusion. "
=========================================================

According to RC, Yuan Xiaojie, played in "Chinese Clubs Championship" in 2006 - that's 7 years ago.

Unbelievable, he is in U-21 event.  I buy beeray1's arguement.  The guy is not that young now.

Btw Yuan Xiaojie played in 3 tourneys here in the US, he remains unbeaten.

skip3119
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:18pm

That's my point - these people are there in person and observing them - it's not like they are far away watching them on TV like myself.  If we can't reasonably discuss these things anymore, it sounds more to me like censorship.
Cybershape Carbon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:22pm

Why?  Is it based purely on speculation?

Based on the statement " Zhang Xiangjing, Qi Wei and Guo Hao were some of names mentioned as looking too old to play in the junior teams last tuesday." I assumed he's just speculating and has no concrete info.

Edited by cmetsbeltran15 - 07/05/2013 at 4:25pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:34pm

Tao Wenzhang beat WZ at Baltimore in 2011, and has recent wins over Fan Zhendong and Xu Chenhao. I do still think Zhen and Shiono will pull out the wins, but one or both could be surprisingly close, esp. Yuan vs Shiono Beer

WQL was in position to force a 6th but let the 8-3 lead slip Unhappy
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:48pm
Down goes Ryan Jenkins ...

Edited by bonggoy - 07/05/2013 at 5:08pm
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by bonggoy bonggoy wrote:

Down goes Jens Lundquist ...

To who? It says he won 4-1
who no know go know
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:53pm

Was that against Theriault? ITTF page is not loading for me. Big win for him if so.

Primorac is gonna lose to this Japanese guy I think, its looking good for the Wang Zhen guessers. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:55pm
Yang Ce is obviously a very experienced player from China with a lot of good wins from the past.....
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 4:59pm

WQL was in position to force a 6th but let the 8-3 lead slip Unhappy

Yeah, but WZ was in a position to get a 4-0 win but let the 7-3 lead slip.

The Winner of the TW and WZ match is going to take this.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

To who? It says he won 4-1

The site is killing me - not responding to any of my inquiries.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic