Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The power of criss-cross blocking.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 11:56am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I seriously don't understand why so many inverted players like to take the ball so late,
I seem to take a step back from the table when I play other blockers.  I am a blocker-hitter but I will try to spin the ball off the blockers paddle with loops of different spins and speeds.

they seem to like taking the ball when it is at the dropping phase, then spin the ball up high, waiting for an off the bounce reply from their opponent to a difficult angle which will make them run....Dead.
That is because they don't hit the ball deep.  It isn't a matter of when they hit the ball.  I find that I must move fast when trying to loop a couple balls in row at the table.  Moving back provides a little more time.

Perhaps if they spent a few months playing some hardbat off the bounce countering, hitting and blocking, they would improve tremendously.
I agree that hard bat play is good because you must rely on placement and simply keeping the ball low.  It gets back to one of the earlier posts about doing the simple things very well.  The punch blocker's opponents where not able to execute any of the strategies well like the lobbing strategy.

This type of criss-cross blocking will always happen, when one player consistently hits the ball later/shorter than his opponent, which has nothing to do with the equipment that one uses.  This would open up angles for the other player to easily exploit. 
Yes, returning the ball short is the problem.   Blockers love that unless you can keep the ball very low.

I would have exploited his opponents using criss-cross blocking easily (i'm an inverted player), considering how slow the pace that his opponents played at and the general lack of power of their strokes and poor footwork.
Agreed but perhaps they weren't comfortable playing against the anti or LP and this caused them to slow down and hit conservatively which gave the punch blocker his opportunities.   I know that doesn't excuse the lack of footwork.   The punch blocker was very aggressive with his anti and kept his opponents responding to him.

The punch blocker was using the red side most of the time.  Igorponger,  do you know which side had the anti?

There was a comment about the anti/LP combination.  It appears this combination works for the punch blocker because he can punch block with either side.

Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 1:05pm
BY tt4me
The punch blocker was using the red side most of the time.  Igorponger,  do you know which side had the anti ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My best guess, the red is anti and the black is LP. His usual tactics is to flip to black for slow lob/loops and some serves.

So he is trying to take away the slow lob/loop advantage by reversing the spin, smart. The anti blocks are mostly light TS. So, combined with the good angles/locations, it can be very hard to play against ! 
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 2:53pm
LUCKYLOOP said: "My best guess, the red is anti and the black is LP. His usual tactics is to flip to black for slow lob/loops and some serves. "
==================================

You may very well be right.

Using red side to play all the time.
Only during serves, he used black side to serve a few times only. Most serves are still from red side.

My guess is that he is about usatt's 2000 level player.
skip3119
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 7:46pm
I played an 1800 player (though a little rusty) who had long pips on 1 side and anti on the other with a very unusual grip.  He wasn't as aggressive as the guy in this video though.  He really took advantage of the angles and of course messed with the spin quite a bit.  I managed to beat him with deep loop drives to the corners and when given the chance didn't give away the location of the loop until the last second.  I barely served short because when I did his angles were too good.  I either served long and heavy or fast long topspin to the corners.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

BY tt4me
The punch blocker was using the red side most of the time.  Igorponger,  do you know which side had the anti ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My best guess, the red is anti and the black is LP. His usual tactics is to flip to black for slow lob/loops and some serves.

So he is trying to take away the slow lob/loop advantage by reversing the spin, smart. The anti blocks are mostly light TS. So, combined with the good angles/locations, it can be very hard to play against ! 

Based on the accompanying text fragments in the clip, the punch blocker may have used a medium pip or even a short pip.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 10:52pm
Hookumsnivy, are you rated about 1800?  I don't know.  It sounds like you are good enough to execute a the loops deep into the corners.   Did your anti/LP opponent serve long like the punch blocker did?  If so did you attack his serves?  There really isn't a point in serving short.  It isn't like the anti/LP player is going to loop kill a long serve.

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Hookumsnivy, are you rated about 1800?  I don't know.  It sounds like you are good enough to execute a the loops deep into the corners.   Did your anti/LP opponent serve long like the punch blocker did?  If so did you attack his serves?  There really isn't a point in serving short.  It isn't like the anti/LP player is going to loop kill a long serve.

I am not.  I'm just under 1650 - like I said he was a little rusty and I played really well and that day I was actually moving pretty well.  
He mixed in all kinds of serves which actually makes more sense if you think about it.  When you get a short serve most people's first instinct (assuming they're capable) is to return short unless they can attack it.  If you give a short return, you get angled to death.  I typically attacked his long serves, though not always successfully.  
I was exhausted after our match because I had to move more than usual.  If he was in control, he'd move you away from the table and then drop it short.  I wish I remembered his name so I could figure out what he's rated now.  It was a very awkward style.  Fortunately I play against an unusual long pips player pretty frequently so the funky rubbers didn't mess with me too much.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 3:16am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

BY tt4me

Based on the accompanying text fragments in the clip, the punch blocker may have used a medium pip or even a short pip.
That is possible since he gets decent speed on the red blocks.

So, he is either blocking light TS with the red or blocking BS (TS reversal) with the black. Those changing spins with his locations/angles is good strategy. He also keeps the ball low. He serves either dead, light TS or light BS.

A person, who has never played him, would not know his strategy and probably could not beat him unless they were at a much higher skill level.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 07/11/2013 at 3:20am
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2013 at 6:51am
Originally posted by bonggoy bonggoy wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

It doesn't have to be super short. It's a big plus if there's no topspin to allow him to lift the ball, and no pace to use.

No topspin and no pace? The ball must not be moving then :D.

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

A low, flat knuckle buster with no spin and minimal pace could be considered a drop shot of sorts.

Again, how do you execute this against Igor? He rarely blocks or pushes passively. He is very good at using angles to his advantage. He constantly moves the ball. I would argue that a short balls, even not so short ball like you mentioned will get be to Igor's advantage. He seems to like it even. He is able to jab/push when ball is short especially in the middle.

The only weakness I see that I can take advantage of is in his forehand side. He is relatively weak there. I noticed a few missed blocks and a few missed serve return.

I would play him like how I play Seemiler type blockers. Spin deep to wide angle. Wide FH then to wide BH or wide BH then wide to forehand. I will rarely place any ball in the middle as he likes to work the angles from here.

Use a very low and slow push. That way he'd have to push it back with an open racket. You do that on a long ball by catching it early. Sorry, I'm used to TPB that's why it's hard to visualize.
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 5:46am
What do guys/gals think about the simple tactic of pushing long to him all over the table until you get a loose ball to hit or loop ?
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 6:37am
If you just arbitrarily hit back and wait for a loose ball, you will start becoming passive and that's when the blocker will start moving you around. It should be you controlling the tempo, not him

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 7:03am
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

If you just arbitrarily hit back and wait for a loose ball, you will start becoming passive and that's when the blocker will start moving you around. It should be you controlling the tempo, not him

By pushing, you can control the tempo better than letting him quick block you all over the table with little reaction time to his changing spins. You also make his return of spin predictable for your aggressive shot selection.
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 7:09am

By pushing, you can control the tempo better than letting him quick block you all over the table with little reaction time to his changing spins. You also make his return of spin predictable for your aggressive shot selection.

Yeah but you said pushing it long, which i imagine would be easily blockable too..

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 7:17am

Yeah but you said pushing it long, which i imagine would be easily blockable too..

Well, you would just have to try and see if he has any major weaknesses either by location or rubber side use. I don't think he can block pushes faster than he can your loops or TS so you should have more reaction time with predictable spin coming back.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 07/12/2013 at 7:36am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 8:44am

What do guys/gals think about the simple tactic of pushing long to him all over the table until you get a loose ball to hit or loop ?

Nothing wrong with trying it.  I like the suggestion.  Too many people hate to think outside the box to beat a player.  It seems like they want to loop drive loop drive loop drive all the time when just pushing to the opponent can sometimes make him fall apart, especially a player like this who is playing off your spin and pace.

The only thing is that pushing against Anti and long Pips repeatedly requires good control.  The ball comes back dead or with light topspin so you have to adjust the push for that factor.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 12:11pm

Well, you would just have to try and see if he has any major weaknesses either by location or rubber side use. I don't think he can block pushes faster than he can your loops or TS so you should have more reaction time with predictable spin coming back.

Just remember not to loop it back to exactly where his block is otherwise your recovery time goes down  a lot

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 12:44pm
Just remember not to loop it back to exactly where his block is otherwise your recovery time goes down  a lot.
======================================

One problem:

No matter where your loop (or TS) lands, as long as it is a loop he is going to block (right off the bounce).
--------------------------------------

Comment about just using Push to play against a PBer.
It also has one problem:  "Push" is PBer's strong suit.  They do it all the time, day in and day out, push right off the bounce.
-------------------------------------

My view:  You just have to be a much higher level player to beat a PBer.
skip3119
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Well..with all due respect..if that's your view, then that would imply that at every bracket, PBer's would always win in every tournament if played against opponents around their level..which clearly isn't the case..

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Just remember not to loop it back to exactly where his block is otherwise your recovery time goes down  a lot.
======================================

One problem:

No matter where your loop (or TS) lands, as long as it is a loop he is going to block (right off the bounce).
--------------------------------------

Comment about just using Push to play against a PBer.
It also has one problem:  "Push" is PBer's strong suit.  They do it all the time, day in and day out, push right off the bounce.
-------------------------------------

I actually used the long pushing tactic VS an anti Push Blocker, who was rated as high as 2000. He had played that style over 30 years. That particular guy would hit if the ball got up too high. He had great control of pushing short and all over the table. You had to be fundamentally sound on both sides for pushes. He had a weak side that I would continuously exploit to set up a loop or hit.  I usually would pick hit with control to a location to prevent his blocks from further extending the point. If you heavy looped into his anti you were just playing into his strength, sure he would miss some but you would have to be super consistent to outlast him. Too much work for one point.

I even used a hard bat to beat him since he didn't have a real topspin game. My hard bat hits were unblockable a very high percentage of the time.

So, another tactic if you had to play this guy a lot, set-up a special paddle with hard bat rubber on one side and your choice on the other side.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 07/12/2013 at 3:49pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 7:55pm
How to play against a pushblocker. 

Just push until you get a loose ball, then loop-kill it. But the inverted penholder was seriously good and solid in his FH loop and his BH push. 

Btw, this is one of the highest level amateur competition held in China. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 9:29pm
OX LP players do not give me many problems. You know what the OX is going to do. You control what you give the OX player. It is a matter of avoiding giving the OX LPer what they want - a medium or heavy underspin half depth to their BH OX LP side that they can punch, or a loose popup misreading the return push. OX LPers always give me what I want on serve, many ways to accomplish that. The tougher OX LPers have great serves AND a FH kill shot. You cannot give away an easy ball or you are punished severely. You have to control the kind of ball you give the LPer and you can pick and choose how to setup your opportunities. if I give them a light underspin deep near endline, I know they will bump or punch the ball back LONG. There is a limit to how fast they can punch that ball if I kept it deep and low. I will have enough time to prepare my counter attack. Point is over. You can also simply give them underspins that are a LOT heavier than they look. LP do not magically send the ball back safe, one must still read the spin and adjust bat angles.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2013 at 10:09pm

Just push until you get a loose ball, then loop-kill it. But the inverted penholder was seriously good and solid in his FH loop and his BH push. 

===========================================

Huang J J, the old player teaches how to play with LP in China.  But he has not been a very strong LP player.  Someone here posted a video of him playing against a US LP player, Li Zhi-Ming.  Li Zhi-Ming beat Huang J J pretty bad.

I know that video was posted here (mytabletennis.net) long time ago, but it takes a lot of knowledge, which I don't have, to find it.  Forgot whether when we were discussing about Li Zhi-Ming or about Peter Chen at the time.  The video is in Chinese and Li Zhi-Ming's name is in Chinese too - that's the reason it is very difficult to find it now.

Edited by skip3119 - 07/12/2013 at 10:24pm
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 12:07am

===================================================================
You showed a player who beat Huang Jian Jiang (黄建疆) and said "Just push until you get a loose ball, then loop-kill it..........).

Well Huang Jian Jiang was not a very good LP Pushblocker, even though he was teaching on how to play LP in China.  Video below is the proof.
======================================================================

The following very old post was posted by:  ZingyDNA

Of course they're no where close to pro level. Anyway, skip wanted me to post the vid of Huang Jian Jiang (the older guy in his vid) vs. Li Zhi Ming, so here's the link:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjQ0ODg4NTA0.html

I thought the vid was undated but it's actually dated in 2011, when Li's rating dropped below 2300 most of the time. So I'd say Huang would be in the 2200s, tops.
===================================================================

Edited by skip3119 - 07/13/2013 at 12:08am
skip3119
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 8:53pm
When I talk to players below USATT 1800, I emphasize taking the ball early on pushes to use quickness to rush opponent and create angles. When discussing blocking, I like to show them the effectiveness of good blocking with a 1-2-3 blocking system.

Here is how it works.

You do a push, medium fast to the playing elbow, just fast enough and low enough to make the opponent want to step around and use a FH topspin, that is #1. Opponent usually did not make a strong loop, maybe a spinny one, but usually NOT a fast loop from that position unless timing and anticipation were there. Ball usually comes to middle depth, often to crossover or FH. So, block #2 goes extreme wide crosscourt wide FH. usually point is over with block #2 as opponent was usually off balance for the attack and did not recover. In the event he DID recover, he is scrambling like mad to get to the wide ball and does not make a very strong return, so block #3 goes to the vacant BH corner, often for a winner.

Even if the opponent knows where I will block, 9 times out of 10, point is over before or on the 3rd ball. The opponent is simply off balance and out of position to make a strong attack. This is the concept I drive home with the under 1800 crowd, because at that level, the OFF loopers frequently do not have the balance and recovery to cope. You are making them take high risk shots that are weak and out of position and balance. You are only making safe blocks from easy balls with little risk.

That is the power of a good blocking game at lower levels and I stress that with effective pushing. Most points are not won with a long rally finished by a winner at the U1800 level, errors are much more a part of the deal. Why take risky shots if you are able to control the opponent (if he is a brain dead, attack-happy stubborn joker who will not change)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 9:47pm
I wonder... just for a second coming back to the first few posts in this thread... 
So, the guy Lyokha, assumed by many to be igorponger, is not really a Push Blocker, IMO. 
Rather, as many had also indicated, he is another PB: a Punch Blocker... and that is a huge difference! He is the more aggressive variety... Even in the video clip he emphasized in the script that this style allows being active and, let's say "non-defensive", in spite of the extra years and pounds... I suggest that his supposition has been a really successful one as the question "how do you play a guy like that" has met with lots of in-depth, sometimes hotly discussed, suggestions. Looks like I am not the only one who walked away disappointed after a match against a PB... Good thread!
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

When I talk to players below USATT 1800, I emphasize taking the ball early on pushes to use quickness to rush opponent and create angles. When discussing blocking, I like to show them the effectiveness of good blocking with a 1-2-3 blocking system.

Here is how it works.

You do a push, medium fast to the playing elbow, just fast enough and low enough to make the opponent want to step around and use a FH topspin, that is #1. Opponent usually did not make a strong loop, maybe a spinny one, but usually NOT a fast loop from that position unless timing and anticipation were there. Ball usually comes to middle depth, often to crossover or FH. So, block #2 goes extreme wide crosscourt wide FH. usually point is over with block #2 as opponent was usually off balance for the attack and did not recover. In the event he DID recover, he is scrambling like mad to get to the wide ball and does not make a very strong return, so block #3 goes to the vacant BH corner, often for a winner.

Even if the opponent knows where I will block, 9 times out of 10, point is over before or on the 3rd ball. The opponent is simply off balance and out of position to make a strong attack. This is the concept I drive home with the under 1800 crowd, because at that level, the OFF loopers frequently do not have the balance and recovery to cope. You are making them take high risk shots that are weak and out of position and balance. You are only making safe blocks from easy balls with little risk.

That is the power of a good blocking game at lower levels and I stress that with effective pushing. Most points are not won with a long rally finished by a winner at the U1800 level, errors are much more a part of the deal. Why take risky shots if you are able to control the opponent (if he is a brain dead, attack-happy stubborn joker who will not change)
Indeed!
I think in the lower levels, control, placement and body positioning is a lot more important than aggressive attacking. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 2:58am
The one thing that all PB's have in common. They play a specific basic simple strategy tailored to their limited skills and do not vary from it much, very methodical.

Most of the opponents they play do not adapt a rigid strategy against the PB and usually take some losses against them before they beat them.

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 2:11pm
MATERIALS THE GUY IS USING.

Question is now asked from me "what actual setup is seen on the video".
I was told from the guy's clubmate he is curently using
RED SIDE: some brand of Anti
BLACK SIDE: some Mid Pimples, 1.2mm sponge.

He is really "something". Is he not?
Most bizarre style I ever seen. Yet greatly effectual.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 2:52pm

The one thing that all PB's have in common. They play a specific basic simple strategy tailored to their limited skills and do not vary from it much, very methodical.

You are implying that all punch blockers have limited skills and are stuck at a particular level.
People, even old dogs, can learn new tricks.
I am sure the punch blocker in the video will evolve and get better IF he is forced to by playing better opponents than those in the video.  He is doing well for playing only 3 years.

Most of the opponents they play do not adapt a rigid strategy against the PB and usually take some losses against them before they beat them.

So if other players can adapt and get better then why can't a punch blocker adapt and get better?

The punch blocker should replace the medium pips with LP.   If he wants to stick with medium pips he should look at Giant Dragon 612 Turbo.  Technically 612T are short pips but 612T will drive people nuts because it plays like LP.

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

MATERIALS THE GUY IS USING.

Question is now asked from me "what actual setup is seen on the video".
I was told from the guy's clubmate he is curently using
RED SIDE: some brand of Anti
BLACK SIDE: some Mid Pimples, 1.2mm sponge.

He is really "something". Is he not?
Most bizarre style I ever seen. Yet greatly effectual.
I like how he plays except for his run up serve, you just can't do that lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic