FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Elpis Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Elpis Rubber
    Posted: 07/21/2013 at 9:16am
Got this test rubber from Nexy

Nexy Elpis
weight: approx. 62 grams
speed: all+ 
type: chinese rubber
sponge hardness: 37 degrees
thickness: 2.1mm
test blade: Tibhar Inca

Nexy will be releasing this rubber soon. They said this will be an affordable Chinese rubber that will be introduced to the market. The rubber is covered with a film cover. It was a little tacky at first after you remove the plastic but after you clean the rubber with a damp sponge the rubber is more of a grippy rubber than a tacky one. It is a medium soft chinese rubber. Its harder than ritc focus 3 or focus 3 snipe. The sponge is a light yellow medium soft sponge.

At first look, the rubber is a quality made rubber. If I compare it to a dawei 2008xp, the quality and fine grains of the topsheet and sponge seems a few notches higher. The grainy topsheet is looking good and you could mistake it for an expensive chinese rubber.

I glued the Elpis on the Tibhar Inca which is a carbon blade. When doing fh to fh drives and bh to bh drives i find it kinda slow for my taste. Despite using the Inca on the Elpis I find it lacking in speed. What it lacks in speed seems to be compensated in terms of spin. The medium soft sponge and the slightly tacky/grippy topsheet grabs the ball well and makes you spin much on slow loops. You can loop and spin near the table but on middle distance and away from the table this rubber needs a more stronger stroke and application of power. Blocking passively is very good and so with active blocking. This rubber is a controlled spinner's rubber. The spin is in the level of dawei 2008xp, focus 3 but not hurricane 2 or 3 level of spin. It is spinny enough for me and not sensitive to incoming spin.

I would say this is suited well for beginners and intermediate players. With the amount of control, new players will fins this rubber very good in developing their strokes and spin generation. For more advanced players, this rubber is better suited for blockers or all around types of players who rely on different types of shots to score points. You can even chop with this rubber at 2.1mm thickness if you like. 

Edited by yogi_bear - 07/23/2013 at 9:32pm
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2013 at 10:20am
It is looking like low cost chinese non-tacky rubber, is it true or not ?
I am waiting your review, thanks in advance!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2013 at 1:57am
yes, this is a low cost chinese rubber from nexy but the quality seems better than dawei
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2013 at 5:51am
Looks like it's made by Dawei..
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2013 at 11:42pm
updated with  initial review

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2013 at 4:43pm
Thanks yogi, good and useful review!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2013 at 9:33pm
i think if they made the sponge a lil thicker like 2.15mm and maybe make the sponge harder maybe 38-39 degrees then maybe a lil speed will be added

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2013 at 7:12am
i gave the elpis another try on my adidas challenge speed and it was slightly better now. i think it needs about 2 days to break in. it has a bit louder sound than the first few days and it plays better now. it's still an all+ speed rubber though. 

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2013 at 2:09pm
is it ITTF approved?
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2013 at 8:37pm
yup it is! if you see the pics you can see the ittf rubber number on it. its also in the ittf's LARC

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 6:55pm

Review by Tommy Zai

Elpis by Nexy is a grippy (not tacky) Chinese/Japanese hybrid type rubber on a pliable sponge that had excellent control, feel, and OFF- speed. The rubber is best fitted for all-around players, who like to attack when they can. The name, “Elpis” means hope, and after demoing this rubber I am very hopeful that Nexy has created a winner. There are not many high quality grippy rubbers that sell for less than $30. Elpis sells for $25. 

THOUGHTS

· 
·      Active and passive blocks well
·      Drives well with small top
·      Pushes well
·      Grabs ball well on brush-loops
·      Counters well (my loop tester was able to do amazing hook loops and he’s righty!)
·      Positioning: close to mid-distance, but capable of longer trajectories on faster blades
·      Serves are surprisingly good for a grippy rubber, but not as much spin as tacky rubbers.
·      At least two distinct gears — power when needed
·      Nice click sound.
·      Perfect for beginners and intermediate level players as well as advanced punch blockers.

·       

MORE THOUGHTS

• Good weight — not a brick! I think I would like the softer version even more. Durability? Not sure yet. My looper friend now has it on his blade — he is really hard on his gear and practices 5 hours per day in a dusty garage. We’ll see!

CONCLUSION

Elpis by Nexy is a wonderful racket covering for $25. It’s high quality for the price. It will not replace Tenergy for most players; however, it may very well replace many of the less expensive, less impressive rubbers and some of the old standards, like Sriver, Mark V, and Mendo. I completely agree with Yogi_Bear, "I would say this is suited well for beginners and intermediate players. With the amount of control, new players will fins this rubber very good in developing their strokes and spin generation. For more advanced players, this rubber is better suited for blockers or all around types of players who rely on different types of shots to score points." This rubber has just the right mix of speed, spin, and control for all-around attackers, who play from close to mid-distance. It has just enough spin without being overly susceptible to incoming spin. If you give it a go, be sure to use it long enough for it to break in. After a few hours, the sponge softens a little and the initial tack wears off and the rubber actually becomes faster with more control. All in all this is an excellent rubber and tremendous value. For anyone looking to step up from the $15 cheapies, but not ready to pay $70, I highly recommend you give this rubber a try. Tommy Zai gives Elpis two thumbs up. Thank you Nexy, for creating a great rubber at a great price.

·      Weight: approx. 60g
·      Speed: off-
·      Throw:  Average
·      Type:  Chinese/Japanese hybrid rubber
·      Sponge Hardness: 39 degrees/medium soft for Chinese type
·      Thickness: 2.15mm

*Test Blades: Nexy Tamar V+VII, Ross Leidy Custom, Avalox P700, and Timo Boll ZLC.

*Available in 2.0 and Max in both 37º and 39º. 

http://www.nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=1597&b_code=B20091201071349&c_code=C20091202012232

Edited by tommyzai - 03/27/2014 at 6:59pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2014 at 9:07pm

For players on a budget it sounds like a nice playing rubber. Thanks Tommy and yogi, you rock!

It's nice to see reviews on more affordable equipment from time to time.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic