Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Equipment doesn't matter like you think it does
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Equipment doesn't matter like you think it does

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Equipment doesn't matter like you think it does
    Posted: 07/25/2013 at 10:08pm
Something I had to get off my chest, and hopefully a worthwhile read for online equipment discussion.

We see a lot of threads here about the "best" equipment and endless reviews with the underlying assumption that a good choice is key to the game, but let's take a step back and analyze a bit just how much difference rubbers or blades make.

It's somewhat known that reasonably well rounded players can use a clipboard (A4/letter) to play and only drop maybe 200 rating points with some familiarity, or even less if they're afforded a less comically sized one (A5/half-letter) and more practice. Now let's assume such a great player uses Tenergy + Viscaria as usual bat and consider the effect of a swap to "lesser" stuff like Sriver + ALL blade. Would anyone argue that the latter functions halfway between "pro equip" and a clipboard? OR even if we exaggerate with Pan-Asia prefab bat? If not, then by basic math it's clear that a supposedly massive diff in equipment matters way less than 100 rating points.

Furthermore, let's compare in more detail the difference between pro and "lesser" setups above. The fundamental point of the game is to put the ball on the opposite side of the table one more time than the opponent. So one basic way of looking at it is that better players simply place (ie. control) the ball better at least once more than weaker ones. Stepping back a bit, detractors to this philosophy might cry that the modern game has changed to favor the attacker who kills the ball (they'd be wrong, but it's at least arguable), but at the amateur level the majority of point outcomes still ride on unforced errors. It's hard to control a small fast spinning ball and people just miss for no other reason than they messed up. Give them another chance at the same shot their less than ideal practice regime failed them and they'll probably make it (eg never serve the same twice). Now of the two setups, which one is more conducive to messing up?

Finally, as to why IMO equipment does matter: it's fun! We're all recreation/amateur players who do this as a hobby, and it's not our job to compete/win. There's always going to be plenty people we win and lose to, so there's nothing to playing per se the except the joy of the journey. A part of that ride is improving, sure, but part of it is also trying/discovering new things. That could mean new styles/techniques, new strategies, and even new toys. Of all the difference hobbies someone can choose, this one gives plenty of toys to pick AND an engaging sport to use them in. So enjoy it for what it is, not some magical elixir we all wish it it be.
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 12:32am
All I can say at this moment, is you're lucky you didn't catch the thread about Ma Long losing to 2200 players if he simply switched to off the shelf H3 NEO and a 'regular' blade.

You might have died of either laughter, or of an overwhelming IQ drop/stupidity overload. 

I'd like to contribute more to the discussion when I'm not at work :) 
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 1:01am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

All I can say at this moment, is you're lucky you didn't catch the thread about Ma Long losing to 2200 players if he simply switched to off the shelf H3 NEO and a 'regular' blade.

You might have died of either laughter, or of an overwhelming IQ drop/stupidity overload. 

that is f**king hilarious :D.

Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 1:30am

===================================================

It was only a "poll".  94.83% respondents believe Ma Long will win.
(As for me, I think Ma Long can beat a US 2200 player easily with a Walmart paddle.)

skip3119
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 2:10am
(As for me, I think Ma Long can beat a US 2200 player easily with a Walmart paddle.)

Given a couple of weeks to practice, Ma Long can beat a 2200 player with a shovel instead of a bat.
DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 3:43am
Agreed,
sometimes I wish that this forum is more about coaching and technique than equipment
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 4:08am
For technically good players, equipment is less important, because they will produce good shots with any equipment, using body.
Technically bad players often cannot send ball on the other side of table without speed glue or t64 on off/off+ blade. Then their style becomes staying 2 meters from table and just holding bat in front of ball.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 5:25am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

Technically bad players often cannot send ball on the other side of table without speed glue or t64 on off/off+ blade. 
Could you explain this a little more please. 

Are you saying that before speed-glue, Tenergy and fast blades; technically bad players struggled to get the ball over the net? 

Edited by DDreamer - 07/26/2013 at 5:45am
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
PatrickL2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatrickL2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 5:52am
Originally posted by DHSHurricane DHSHurricane wrote:

Agreed,
sometimes I wish that this forum is more about coaching and technique than equipment

Haha, this situation seems to be the case for many of us. As a member of MyTT forum and several other table tennis forums, I can't remember when was the last time that I visit the "coaching" or "technique" section. Tongue
CoachT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 5:57am

Agreed,

Agree.

There is some youtube videos of players using Cellphone to rally with students.
I recall this is former HK player Ko Lai Chak blocking his students top spin loop with a cell phone.

Once player gets the X level with correct technique, then equipment is really not important any more when playing lower rated players (loosing 50% less spin, speed, but still same control and just letting your opponent make the mistake).

For example, One of my friends, ex Chinese provincial junior, who hardly practice is about 2400, puts up a medium pimple rubbers (563) on her BH (was always inverted) for fun/challenge, 2 weeks before a tournament and still wins the tournament. The highest opponent was only about 2200~2300.
President and Founder of Tony's Table Tennis
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 6:45am

Probably because of that, not still... Wink

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 7:24am
Against any contemporary, equipment matters a lot.
Except for us special players, EJs.
We have played serious matches with so many types of rubbers/blades that we can adjust to anything immediately without any serious change in playing standard.Big smile

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 8:17am
Equipment only matters if you are good enough to make it matter Smile.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 3:04pm
A player in our club (usatt, 1400) always chases the expensive rubber & blade.  His current setup: a blade costs $250, and 2 sheets of Tenergy.  He has remained at 1400 level for years.

One of our top players, the total cost of his setup (blade plus 2 sheets of rubber) is about $100.  One sheet of his rubbers is a LP that costs about $7 online (he said he bought it for $2 in Shanghai long time ago).  His rating remains at 2300 level.

Skill is most important, not equipment.

*** I agree with the OP, AgentHEX's opinion.

Edited by skip3119 - 07/26/2013 at 3:56pm
skip3119
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 4:16pm
I like the gist of this tread but you can't realy say a person looses 200 rating points using a clipboard and therefor if they use sriver they loose 100 rating points, thats all just make believe
 I have seen good or even average players using clipboards to play and it's fun to see but to quantify a high level player what new ratings a person would be is pie in the sky
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 4:39pm
I've made this point before, but I'll make it again: buying and trying new equipment is a part of what is fun about table tennis to a lot of people. But the ones that actually believe that all these somewhat slight differences in equipment is going to have any significant impact on their level of play... well, they're just a bit looney.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

I've made this point before, but I'll make it again: buying and trying new equipment is a part of what is fun about table tennis to a lot of people. But the ones that actually believe that all these somewhat slight differences in equipment is going to have any significant impact on their level of play... well, they're just a bit looney.

EJ is a way of life. Tongue  My way of life... Clap

Edited by jt99sf - 07/26/2013 at 4:53pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I like the gist of this tread but you can't realy say a person looses 200 rating points using a clipboard and therefor if they use sriver they loose 100 rating points, thats all just make believe
 I have seen good or even average players using clipboards to play and it's fun to see but to quantify a high level player what new ratings a person would be is pie in the sky

People have actually played serious clipboard matches w/ ranked players, so we know how much of quantitative detriment they are. The point is a somewhat different inverted is WAY LESS DIFF (ie. well under 100 points) than halfway to clipboard. The closest think prolly to halfway is hardbat, where you don't even have a sponge nevermind trick topsheet, and guess what 100points is about average drop w/ hardbat disadvantage long term.

Morale of the story: choice of general inverted equipment matters so little to actual level that it's even worth mentioning "better" play. The only way to kind of screw yourself over (esp. in the short run) is oddball combos that make you loose confident in many strokes, and the only way to achieve this is the experimental builds EJs do.

I avoid it myself by always having a stable setup for real play, and play w/ whatever else on the side. Sometimes I learn something new, but "new" doesn't necessarily mean better. Wink
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 5:39pm

Agreed,

I wish for all the EJ'ing there was some actually interesting exploration. For example, I'm almost a style junky, ie SJ. I've played it all, single side PH pips, inverted, SH inverted, RPB two wing, back to SH, modern defense in that order over years. But there's very little info out there for people who switch, even in terms of equipment. I had the hardest time finding what I should be looking out for in turns of rubber speeds for chopping relative to looping and had to learn much the hard way. So for all the equipment threads, the amount of space they move within is very limited. If all the EJ's got actual different setups and learned some new skills, it'd prolly be worth it over which model (or lol, weight) of viscaria BS.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Agreed,

I wish for all the EJ'ing there was some actually interesting exploration. For example, I'm almost a style junky, ie SJ. I've played it all, single side PH pips, inverted, SH inverted, RPB two wing, back to SH, modern defense in that order over years.
Me too.  I have different paddles for different styles.  After 4 years of EJing and SJing I now have a pretty good idea of what works with what and why.

I don't think I play any better with my TBS with T05 on it than I do with a Samsonov Alpha with H3 Neo on both sides.  I am still the limiting factor.  Other have told me that they can't tell the difference in my play when I play with H3 Neo or T05.  I can't get too excited about comparing two inverted rubbers.

What I don't understand are people that want fast blades and rubbers they can't control effectively in the short game where most of us do most of our playing.

Ditto that inner comment about having more threads about coaching and technique.  I like the videos but the ones where people just estimate ratings don't interest me unless there is an analysis of why they think a person is rated this or that way.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 6:16pm
coaching one-on-one is much more constructive than online.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 6:27pm

Agreed,

I wish for all the EJ'ing there was some actually interesting exploration. For example, I'm almost a style junky, ie SJ. I've played it all, single side PH pips, inverted, SH inverted, RPB two wing, back to SH, modern defense in that order over years. But there's very little info out there for people who switch, even in terms of equipment. I had the hardest time finding what I should be looking out for in turns of rubber speeds for chopping relative to looping and had to learn much the hard way. So for all the equipment threads, the amount of space they move within is very limited. If all the EJ's got actual different setups and learned some new skills, it'd prolly be worth it over which model (or lol, weight) of viscaria BS.
You are a fully paid up member of the EJ club. You are even worse than most as you also experiment with styles. Go on admit it you love to EJ don't you.

Seriously, most EJs have experimented with  most styles over the years. I've tried up to table block with inverted/anti and even good old Neubauer original. I've done the modern defence thing, 2-wing looper, 2-wing smasher with SP even RPB.
Tonight I started allround defensive with Reflectoid/999 on Bty Power def. Later I switched to 2-wing looper with T05/T05 on Nittaku. Time ran out before I could end it with my 1956 Barna.
It was a fun night.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 6:33pm

People have actually played serious clipboard matches w/ ranked players, so we know how much of quantitative detriment they are. The point is a somewhat different inverted is WAY LESS DIFF (ie. well under 100 points) than halfway to clipboard. The closest think prolly to halfway is hardbat, where you don't even have a sponge nevermind trick topsheet, and guess what 100points is about average drop w/ hardbat disadvantage long term.

Morale of the story: choice of general inverted equipment matters so little to actual level that it's even worth mentioning "better" play. The only way to kind of screw yourself over (esp. in the short run) is oddball combos that make you loose confident in many strokes, and the only way to achieve this is the experimental builds EJs do.

I avoid it myself by always having a stable setup for real play, and play w/ whatever else on the side. Sometimes I learn something new, but "new" doesn't necessarily mean better. Wink
yes yes but you are just making amounts up (there is no 200 rating drop) if a 2500 level player uses a clipboard there is only a probable drop but no particular 200 drop
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 7:20pm
The clipboard comment is silly, but the gist of the comment is not.  This is especially true given that most of what is reviewed here is designed more or less for the same type of player -- offensive and spin minded players.  ESN alone must manufacture about 5 gazillion different products all pretty much designed for the that person, and who know how many blades are now available in OFF-, OFF, and OFF+ speed categories?  They all may feel a little different, at least at first, and in the end once you are accustomed to them, you will play the same way +/- fractions of a percentage.  It doesn't mean, though, that you won't have a preference (I do).  Major changes in class of equipment matter, but most changes people contemplate making don't qualify as making big changes.  These days the only that determines my level is whether some part of my body injured from table tennis is hurting or not. 
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 9:17pm
I recent changed setups.  From BTY 7 ply to a DHS 7 ply.  The BTY 7 ply had DHS H2 NEo and Donic Bluefire.  The DHS has DHS H3 Neo and 728-5.

I don't know how much different these rubbers and blades are suppose to be.  But to be quite honest beside the rubber and blade being newer, I don't really notice significant difference to my shots 95% of time.

The only difference is on really hard fast shots where my BTY power 7 has a crack in the blade I can feel.  The other is the 728-5 is really tacky and can put more side spin on flicks.

I'm starting the suspect that with all the brands out there that the like Baal mention the variation is not as drastic as the back of the box description would lead us to believe.  
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2013 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

===================================================

Make it US 2500...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2013 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

You are a fully paid up member of the EJ club. You are even worse than most as you also experiment with styles. Go on admit it you love to EJ don't you.

Seriously, most EJs have experimented with  most styles over the years. I've tried up to table block with inverted/anti and even good old Neubauer original. I've done the modern defence thing, 2-wing looper, 2-wing smasher with SP even RPB.
Tonight I started allround defensive with Reflectoid/999 on Bty Power def. Later I switched to 2-wing looper with T05/T05 on Nittaku. Time ran out before I could end it with my 1956 Barna.
It was a fun night.

Guilty as charged, but from what I've seen "EJs" who experiment with many styles are the minority. And to be fair, equipment does kind of matter more when you're trying to chop down modern loop drives, because something even moderately too fast will not work at all unless superhuman. Most EJs are hoping that $200 ZJKALC or ZLKAC will make them loop like the real deal.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2013 at 4:48am

yes yes but you are just making amounts up (there is no 200 rating drop) if a 2500 level player uses a clipboard there is only a probable drop but no particular 200 drop

No, nothing is being made up here. These clipboard jokers would challenge people ~200 points lower than them and win, and it's embarrassing as hell to the point were people would try to avoid them. So if anything I exaggerate the drop. It's kind of well known story, as there was even a clipboard league set up.

Make it US 2500...

Joo for sure can beat 2500 players w/ a clipboard, and prolly any CNT member w/ few weeks days hours practice. I mean, they're like 3000 rating, so it's like playing someone 500 below you, just dick (no look, behind the back, under the legs) around and still win.

Edited by AgentHEX - 07/27/2013 at 5:57am
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2013 at 9:03am
"EQUIPMENT DOES NOT MATTER AS MUCH..."
A WORD OF WISDOM, CERTAINLY.

Some famous facts to sustain:
--Vlady Samsonov is known to be stuck to his old Mazunov blade, as long as for 20 years.   He changed to a new one just quite recently, after being faulted by an umpire.

--The top Chinese are known to be able to accelerate the ball upto a cosmic velocity with the HURRICANE dumb hard sponge.

TOP MORAL The first-rate table tennis Masters do need no "advanced" materials to better perform the game.
To do so, they're all possessing a great variety of technical skills and physical fitness in plenty.

Again, it was once proved by a German professor-engeneer Tiefenbacher Konrad that:
--Contrary to common player's believe there is no dramatic difference in playing characteristics between the most used rubbers and blades present now on market. The actual difference is just minor and it can be always compensated by applying more muscular exertion.

That is to say Tenergy rubber is not a "magic stick" at all. You can well make a great upswing in the rating even if with Mark-V non glued, through having some particular boxing trainings with the sand bag.    
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2013 at 8:59am
I am curious, why would an umpire fault Vlady for using an old blade?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic