Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Long Pips on both side, questions for LP gurus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Pips on both side, questions for LP gurus
    Posted: 08/23/2013 at 3:38pm
I have sort of a weird set of equipment, Stiga classic offensive blade with Long Pips on both side, yes both side. One side with no sponge, and the other with 1mm sponge.

I know the majority of ppl would find this setup sort of not right, but let's assume it's the only available option I have. A few questions, and your thoughts would be appreciated:

1- For serves, would you use the side with sponge, or the one without? and why?

1- what side you would have as a forehand ( sponge or no sponge )?

3- What side would possibly make more spin if any ? ( more spin reverse )

4- I know it's hard to smash with LP, but if the ball is high enough, how would you smash an underpin and a topspin? in other word how are they differ in term of racket angel and the bat direction ( vertically, horizontally or 45 degree ... )   

5- How would you warm up with this setting? ( is it good idea to have inverted rubbers on another blade to warm up with, and is that legal ) ?

Thank you,
Alqa
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:10pm
1. both. for variation
2. use the no sponge on your most defensive side. The sponge may be more use on your more aggressive wing.
3. spin from spin reversal comes from opponents shot.probably the no sponge side
4. start with near vertical racket face for both and go from there (learn as you go)

5.might be legal to warm up with a different racket

6. Please come to my club, I want to play you for money! I used to practice with someone with with this setup. He was a good player with his normal combo setup. With double LP everybody in the club just hit him off with ease once they new to not bother with spin
good luck all the same
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:12pm
Bad idea all around,  LP is not meant to be offensive.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:13pm
Maybe you should change LP on FH to MP or SP
Bare in mind that SP and MP can be used for both defensive and offensive, but require higher skills compared to LP and inverted

Edited by ZApenholder - 08/23/2013 at 4:14pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Bare in mind that SP and MP can be used for both defensive and offensive, but require higher skills compared to LP and inverted

A clubmate uses 1.8 med pips (FH) and OX LP (BH), gives everybody fits. LOL

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Does your clubmate twiddle too??ConfusedConfusedConfused
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:41pm

Does your clubmate twiddle too??ConfusedConfusedConfused

Yes, and he's a PH!!

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:42pm
It's such an unusual setup it would be hard to actually KNOW, and the best thing you could do is just see what works best for what you are trying to accomplish in TT.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

It's such an unusual setup it would be hard to actually KNOW, and the best thing you could do is just see what works best for what you are trying to accomplish in TT.

You have to love to chop, on both sides!!

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 9:08pm

Bad idea all around,  LP is not meant to be offensive.
====================================================

Agree with you on "LP is not meant to be offensive", because the attacks are very difficult to land on the table.  If it should land on the table, then the opponent will have a harder time to return the ball relative to an attack from inverted.  (This was mentioned earlier in another thread. That's my own experience which may not be correct.)

Question:

If you have attacked with LP many times before and you also have attacked with inverted many times before, which one gives your opponents more trouble?

(Just try to find out if my view on this subject is correct or not.  I have this "view" for quite some time that LP attacks give my opponents a harder time.  Does anyone else have the same experience?)
skip3119
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Alqa Alqa wrote:

I have sort of a weird set of equipment, Stiga classic offensive blade with Long Pips on both side, yes both side. One side with no sponge, and the other with 1mm sponge.

I know the majority of ppl would find this setup sort of not right, but let's assume it's the only available option I have. A few questions, and your thoughts would be appreciated:

1- For serves, would you use the side with sponge, or the one without? and why?

1- what side you would have as a forehand ( sponge or no sponge )?

3- What side would possibly make more spin if any ? ( more spin reverse )

4- I know it's hard to smash with LP, but if the ball is high enough, how would you smash an underpin and a topspin? in other word how are they differ in term of racket angel and the bat direction ( vertically, horizontally or 45 degree ... )   

5- How would you warm up with this setting? ( is it good idea to have inverted rubbers on another blade to warm up with, and is that legal ) ?

Thank you,
Alqa

A weirdo setup like this is entirely dependent on your level. Pretty much anything can work before you get to a point where the topspin players are so consistent & strong that the advantages of "weirdness" disappears.

OTOH there are LP virtuosos like: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19025, who wins large amateur tournaments in china despite very advanced age using xtreme trickery.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 9:36pm
The main problem is that all of your serves and pushes would have no spin and so you would be extremely vulnerable. You would be better to have SP on one side. 
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 10:06pm
[/QUOTE] AgentHEX

A weirdo setup like this is entirely dependent on your level. Pretty much anything can work before you get to a point where the topspin players are so consistent & strong that the advantages of "weirdness" disappears.

OTOH there are LP virtuosos like: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19025, who wins large amateur tournaments in china despite very advanced age using xtreme trickery.
[/QUOTE]
==============================================

The following very old post was posted by:  ZingyDNA

Of course they're no where close to pro level. Anyway, skip wanted me to post the vid of Huang Jian Jiang (the older guy in his vid) vs. Li Zhi Ming, so here's the link:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjQ0ODg4NTA0.html

Huang Jian Jiang (LP teacher & master in China) has problems playing another LP player, Li Zhi-Ming (a USA LP player, usatt rating is 2266 as of 7-28-2013).

Edited by skip3119 - 08/23/2013 at 10:23pm
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

The main problem is that all of your serves and pushes would have no spin and so you would be extremely vulnerable. You would be better to have SP on one side. 
=======================

As previous video indicates that Li Zhi-Ming plays only one side (penhold) that has LP, and has a USATT rating of 2266 (7-28-2013).  His highest rating was 2352 as of 12/6/1997.

(I don't know how old is Li Zhi-Mig, but he can not be very young. Not sure anyone knows his age.)

Edited by skip3119 - 08/23/2013 at 10:20pm
skip3119
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 10:26pm
Sure, it's not pro, but quite high level amateur. I can assure you he's nowhere near 2200, despite being old (60's).

In the vid, it's pretty obvious he was overly aggressive (and messing around w/ "no look" 360 shots) against a good LP def player. A lot of unforced errors to put on a show. Just look at end of 3rd set, getting points on command when playing safe.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 10:35pm
There is a guy at the club that I play at that uses LP on his forhand and has the Seemiller grip,he attacks with this crap and instead of a top spin it acts like a back spin. I find it very difficult to counter, I have to open the blade to return it. Any one else experience this junk play ?   
Shifter
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

=======================

As previous video indicates that Li Zhi-Ming plays only one side (penhold) that has LP, and has a USATT rating of 2266 (7-28-2013).  His highest rating was 2352 as of 12/6/1997.
If you are good enough you can play at a reasonable level with anything however, this doesn't change the fact that LP on both sides leaves you vulnerable on serves and pushing. If you have a good flick you can overcome the pushing issue by flicking all short balls (often easier with penhold). Serving will still be a problem though - everything you serve will be no spin and subject to attack. Also you will be unable to get an advantage from serve as many players do.

Edited by DDreamer - 08/23/2013 at 10:50pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

There is a guy at the club that I play at that uses LP on his forhand and has the Seemiller grip,he attacks with this crap and instead of a top spin it acts like a back spin. I find it very difficult to counter, I have to open the blade to return it. Any one else experience this junk play ?   

LPs needs your spin to work. If you can return with no spin ball in the right place, you can start to setup for a better shot.  

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2013 at 11:26pm
Deng Yaping attacked with 755 and 1mm sponge.  It isn't impossible although I found it difficult.  I have a red and black 755 1mm that I have put on both sides of my Samonsov Alpha for kicks.  It didn't work too well for me but I could barely manage 755 1mm on my BH.   The two 755 1mm would go better on my Defplay.   The point is that the blade makes a big difference.  That is something I didn't know back when I put the 755 on the Samsonov Alpha.

I think playing with LP on both sides is wrong for the same reason I like to play with LP on one side instead of playing with inverted on both sides.   I have options with LP 0X on my BH and T25 on my FH. I have extreme options.

Today I played with my Firewall Plus with T25 on the FH and Crop Circles 0X on the BH.  I like the contrast between the two sides and I twiddle.  No weak BH here.   I loop and attack balls with my T25 on the BH when I get a chance.  This is necessary,  at lower levels I find that the opponents will simply try to bounce the ball back without spin.  These no spin balls are hard to handle with LP 0X.  However, they are easy to attack with T25.   Also, LP 0X doesn't absorb much energy when the opponent is hitting a hard shot.  I have found that it is easier to twiddle and block fast loops with the T25 than to block with the LP.  The ball goes rocketing back and often the attacker is caught off guard admiring his last shot as the ball goes by.  That happened at least twice today.

Playing with LP on both sides limits your options but it could work.  I don't see why you can't attack high balls and chop or block chop low balls but it takes time to learn how to do this consistently.  I know when I first started playing with LPs I lost as many or more from being inexperience with LP as I won from my opponents inexperience playing against LP.

In short.  Put a very spinny and aggressive inverted rubber on your FH and learn to twiddle.  Think in terms of contrasting rubbers with complementary capabilities.
THe blade makes a difference.
I like the Firewall Plus with a straight handle.  I always buy straight handled blades now because I think it is easier to twiddle with straight handled blades.

There is a video of a LP player that is hitting top spins
I don't call this looping but one can hit the ball with some amount of top spin when playing with LPs with some grip like 755.

Another option is that one can punch block a lot like the Russian cross court anti player.

Edited by tt4me - 08/23/2013 at 11:27pm
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 3:28pm
It's amazing how TT have such enthusiastic fans, and yes as has been said before it's sort of a strange combination and today at my club everyone was giving me the "That's wrong" thing but hey I'm not gonna compete with Ma Long one day! For me it's a sport and not aiming to be athlete anyways. And I agree it might be better to have inverted on FH or at least a SP on FB, I might switch to this setup later.

To my surprise I could actually sort of loop ( Probably should be called semi-loop or even counter hit ) and I could actually sort of smash the ball, I played a game with my coach who is a Chinese provincial top 10, and he had very hard time winning! even I only play TT for only less than 6 months! Yesterday I told him about my setup and he was saying I should not not play using it, today he said don't ever change this setup lol .. In fact when we were playing other ppl gather around the table to watch.

I've a tournament in 3 days, I'm gonna play with this setup, keep in mind that I currently live in Guangzhou, China so all my opponents would be Chinese, but I"M POSITIVE I WILL WIN at least a game ( I never won any game at that club as the highest level of players in the city always take a part at this weekly tournament )

My only problem now is how to warm up before the matches, I tried today at my club and I could counter hit forehand and lefthand but my opponent will usually have the ball into the net after the 2nd or 3rh ball. I might need to warm uo with other racket or do some blocking/chopping etc. I will add some feedback here after the tournament here.

Edited by Alqa - 08/24/2013 at 3:43pm
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2013 at 3:34pm

Edited by Alqa - 08/24/2013 at 3:43pm
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 7:10am

I played a game with my coach who is a Chinese provincial top 10, and he had very hard time winning! even I only play TT for only less than 6 months!  
That's great that you are enjoying playing with your set-up but I find it very hard to believe that your coach was trying. Next time you play your coach ask him to try 100% and see how you go. A top 10 player in Guangzhou would be scary good and it's hard to imagine him being troubled by someone with LP both sides who has been playing for only 6 months - Im sorry. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 11:48am
Alqa,

Good luck.  In the days of frictionless pips, your setup was more common, but without amazing touch with the pips, it's hard to consistently block loops close to the table with just long pips or to avoid a no-spin rally with your opponent dictating when he wants to attack.

"Looping" heavy backspin is possible with any surface, but the ball you send across rarely has the properties of a true loop and is mostly dead.

As for the warm up, it is your opponent's responsibility to arrive at the table ready to play and to practice the shots he is likely to use in the game - the two minute warm up is insufficient for any serious player.  I know someone who warms up his backhand side using his long pips and says that he wants to practice the shots he will use in the game - I don't see a problem with that.  One reason why some players don't warm up with their pips is that they don't want their opponent to see and get used to it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 11:54am

I played a game with my coach who is a Chinese provincial top 10, and he had very hard time winning! even I only play TT for only less than 6 months!  

That's great that you are enjoying playing with your set-up but I find it very hard to believe that your coach was trying.<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253; line-height: 1.4;"> </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Next time you play your coach ask him to try 100% and see how you go. </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">A top 10 player in </span><span style="line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253;">Guangzhou would be scary good and it's hard to imagine him being troubled by someone with LP both sides who has been playing for only 6 months - Im sorry. </span>

+1... He's a good actor.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2013 at 8:22pm

I read this a couple of times and no matter how I read it, is seems that you don't appear to be making this statement as some sort of strange joke.  If it's not a joke it's pretty likely that you will not make very rapid progress in this sport.  But it could be I am just missing your subtle humor.  Confused
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 2:27am
Pretty interesting how people who whine about insults act when the shoe's on the other foot. The guy's obvious a beginner and doesn't understand the sport well, so, why?

Edited by AgentHEX - 08/26/2013 at 2:28am
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 4:49pm

Haha, guys come down I smell the sarcasm before I even turn on the computer lol I probably should have elaborated, when I said he had hard time winning I was comparing his effort to win before I switched to LP to his effort after changing my setup. He's 24 years old, and started playing when he was 6 years old!! so DEFIANTLY he is gonna win!!! I've been training with him for about 4 months, and at the end of each session we will play a match and we would bet on a sport drink or juice from the club cafe if he won and kept me below 5!! I literally had played with him over 30 matches and got him over 30 sport drink or water etc!

But it was not the case 2 days ago, he got me a sport drink, he won all 3 games but did not keep below 5! that was a big deal for me hahaha .. in fact I'm just back from the club, and he could not keep me below 5 and I got another drink, other 2 coaches came to watch at the club and tried my bat as well.. :D Half of my points were from him looping into the net, and the other half mostly hitting if his return is a bit high.

For me, I like to play sport competitive and I still do! that is the main reason I switched to TT when I move to China as it's the best sport prob here. I was not bragging about my little success story I was delivering the message that some change in your setup might change your play level. I work 10 hours a day and flying at least twice a month, so I'm not trying to win Zhang Jike, I'm into the sport for the fitness/fun part of it. After all I'm playing in China, the whole world could not win them in TT, will I :D

But if you guys happen to be in Guangzhou, let me know even that I'm only 6 moths in the sport, if you win I'm getting you a drink and an hour of practicing with my coach ... you got my Alqa's word.. :D

I'm playing a tournament tomorrow , that should show me how TERRIBLE my setup is .. :)
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 5:38pm
Alqa has a valid point.
===============

I am an "on and off" LP player.  Thus I am not a proficient LP user.
Using LP to play against players rated 200-300 points above me, I could get more points than using inverted.

Factors that why I got more points:

(1)  The accuracy of my opponents' shots (attacks) took a nose-dive. (Went into the net, or flew off the table.)

(2)  When I use LP to attack (% to land on the table is very low), if it lands, my opponents' successful return rates took a nose-dive - even when my LP attack is not a strong attack.

LP rubber is a strange animal.

Edited by skip3119 - 08/26/2013 at 5:40pm
skip3119
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Alqa has a valid point.
===============

I am an "on and off" LP player.  Thus I am not a proficient LP user.
Using LP to play against players rated 200-300 points above me, I could get more points than using inverted.

Factors that why I got more points:

(1)  The accuracy of my opponents' shots (attacks) took a nose-dive. (Went into the net, or flew off the table.)

(2)  When I use LP to attack (% to land on the table is very low), if it lands, my opponents' successful return rates took a nose-dive - even when my LP attack is not a strong attack.

LP rubber is a strange animal.

Interesting...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 6:12pm
My personal 0pinion of LP is it's a gimmick (junk) rubber, my opinion of short pips with sponge is for people who want to hit or slap the ball, and have no strokes, at least back in the old days of Hard Bat you had to learn strokes. Just my personal opinion and I'm entitle to have.
Shifter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic