Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Long Pips on both side, questions for LP gurus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Alqa has a valid point.
===============

I am an "on and off" LP player.  Thus I am not a proficient LP user.

Using LP to play against players rated 200-300 points above me, I could get more points than using inverted.

Factors that why I got more points:

(1)  The accuracy of my opponents' shots (attacks) took a nose-dive. (Went into the net, or flew off the table.)

(2)  When I use LP to attack (% to land on the table is very low), if it lands, my opponents' successful return rates took a nose-dive - even when my LP attack is not a strong attack.

LP rubber is a strange animal.

I'm no expert by any mean in LP, nor even TT! BUT I think that's true, and was trying to say the same. For instance, when I played with my coach, it was not my TT skills that got me 6/7 points, it was him misreading the spin on the ball that lead to a ball into the net, out ,or a sort of poor return that allowed me to hit it with LP.

And Yes, when I attack or even push the ball with vertical angle he will have harder time should it was by inverted rubber. Counterhit is easy when both are inverted players, but once there is a LP involved, the rhyme changes. The way I see it is that he plays everyday mostly with inverted, with specific racket angel when hitting/ smashing etc; The LP dynamic spin reversal makes things harder ( NOT HARD ) for him.

So, that fact that there are no many LP players, lead to less practice with LP and therefore lower level should the opponent were another inverted player.

With that being said, if I was playing TT professionally, I would probably choose to play with inverted. For now, I enjoy LP, and have no plans to change any time soon. It's funny my current LP setup cost a fraction of my inverted setup cost :D
Sponsored Links

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

My personal 0pinion of LP is it's a gimmick (junk) rubber, my opinion of short pips with sponge is for people who want to hit or slap the ball, and have no strokes, at least back in the old days of Hard Bat you had to learn strokes. Just my personal opinion and I'm entitle to have.

It's somewhat true at lower levels because low level player can't read spin. It's also the easiest way physically to make an opponent work for the point, which lower level players don't.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 7:58pm
Well, I've always said that weird is sometimes good and it is a mistake to coach people out of some unorthodoxy if the strange stuff works.  Eric Boggan, is the classc case in point.  Odds are, this will limit your progress and the ceiling is pretty low, probably lower than it needs to be.  The reason LP is usually paired with inverted is that it gives the opponent at least one side where they really have to fear the offense (this is tactically  true at 1200 and in the world's top ten) and also it gives the largest possible contrast to the LP side.  That is just more likely to get free points from your opponent due to timing and spin errors.  But if you can generate some real offense with one side at least -- and Deng Yaping certainly did with LP -- well maybe this is one of those strange things people will look at and say, 'I don't know how he does it but it works'.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Well, I've always said that weird is sometimes good and it is a mistake to coach people out of some unorthodoxy if the strange stuff works.  Eric Boggan, is the classc case in point.  Odds are, this will limit your progress and the ceiling is pretty low, probably lower than it needs to be.  The reason LP is usually paired with inverted is that it gives the opponent at least one side where they really have to fear the offense (this is tactically  true at 1200 and in the world's top ten) and also it gives the largest possible contrast to the LP side.  That is just more likely to get free points from your opponent due to timing and spin errors.  But if you can generate some real offense with one side at least -- and Deng Yaping certainly did with LP -- well maybe this is one of those strange things people will look at and say, 'I don't know how he does it but it works'.

Another exception, years ago, I played a chopper who had LP on both sides. He was playing 1900-2000 USATT rating. He would chop until you pushed then he would kill with sidespin and it was not returnable.
I would just slow loop, to limit his attack, until I got a loose ball to hit. He almost never blocked. He  said he played that style for exercise. He was in his early 50's and would visit from England 2-3 times a year.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 6:35am
Removed...

Edited by CraneStyle - 08/27/2013 at 3:01pm
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Alqa Alqa wrote:

For instance, when I played with my coach, it was not my TT skills that got me 6/7 points, it was him misreading the spin on the ball that lead to a ball into the net, out ,or a sort of poor return that allowed me to hit it with LP.

And Yes, when I attack or even push the ball with vertical angle he will have harder time should it was by inverted rubber. Counterhit is easy when both are inverted players, but once there is a LP involved, the rhyme changes. The way I see it is that he plays everyday mostly with inverted, with specific racket angel when hitting/ smashing etc; The LP dynamic spin reversal makes things harder ( NOT HARD ) for him.
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but if your coach is top 10 player in Guangzhou there is no way you would get 6/7 points against him if he was trying. Also, he wouldn't misread the spin as LP is very predictable. I don't misread the spin from LP and I'm guessing I would struggle to get 5 points against a  top 10 player in Guangzhou. It is very common that top players are slack when playing weaker players in practice.  Despite this, it is good that you are enjoying playing with your set-up.  
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 11:32am
this thread reminds me of Zach Wei
maybe the mods can check the ip addresses
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

1. both. for variation
2. use the no sponge on your most defensive side. The sponge may be more use on your more aggressive wing.
3. spin from spin reversal comes from opponents shot.probably the no sponge side
4. start with near vertical racket face for both and go from there (learn as you go)

5.might be legal to warm up with a different racket

6. Please come to my club, I want to play you for money! I used to practice with someone with with this setup. He was a good player with his normal combo setup. With double LP everybody in the club just hit him off with ease once they new to not bother with spin
good luck all the same
PPP... Heck Yeah!!!

Unless you are a former national team member... please do visit my club with a fat wallet ready for dinner bets and drink bets. You lose a lunch bet vs me and Ur wallet will be just a might lighter, but you will have awesome pics on Facebook to remember it all. Think of it as a fee for the good looking pics and memories.

I LOVE and crave playing vs OX LP players. Unless they are two levels better than me, I will not be threatened. There are TONS of OX LP players here in Korea who are powerhouse OX LP punchblockers / FH power hitters. I play them every day and play with an OX scout bat every now and then to remember their techniques. Please do visit my club and give us some free chicken and beer for the fun memories.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 1:19pm
There is a 70 yr old preacher who shows up at Uijeungbu Sky TTC for the monthly tourney who gives many an inverted attacking wannabe players fits to no end. He uses sponge LP on one side on OX LP on the other with a C-Pen grip!

To further exasperate the attacking player's dilemma, this guy gets rated as div 5 and gets a 3 poiny handicap vs the Div 3 crowd and a 2 point handicap vs the Div 4 crowd, which is the average hotshot median Korean club attacking player average.

He just gets the ball back, whether high or low, he doesn't care. he just focuses on getting it back and the opponent is ALWAYS too eager to try to BLAST the ball back to China... and usually pays for that with a miss. Reading spin and anticipating the ball are not easily taught skills that normally get developed by experience. This preacher preys off of players' inexperience and always advances to the round of 4 and wins *** tourney balls, always. (Thee tourneys cost under $10 to get into, so why the heck not???)

When I play him, he puts on a happy face, but knows he is getting a one-way ticket to sit down and watch he rest of the tourney if I meet him in the knockout stages. Even with a 4 point handicap, I can serve and make him net it, or bump it long for a power finish, even if he brings it back, it is high and ripe for another smash. If he serves, I just bump it back or heavy loop it depending on whether I want to finish the point now or later. This guy doesn't make a lot of errors, unless you speed drive or heavy loop it. He will embarrass the average OFF player who does not understand spin and is too arrogant to stop blindly power-attacking everything long.

Unless the player is several levels higher for obvious reasons of generally being way better, no one should have such problems vs such a setup. it is an invitation to an easy win and free lunch or after match chicken meals for the entire club if you decide to wager.

By the Way, such wagers in a Korean club are very common and result in a match that is more fiercely contested than an actual city or regional tourney!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 2:45pm
I have seen some pretty deadly bit innocuous looking LP penholders in China too.  I was utterly annihilated by one at a tournament there, OX LP one side, some sort of very thin sponge  MP on the other that he could hit with -- and serve well too.  This guy was not old, maybe 35.  The key was that he could attack when you messed up.   
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 3:56pm
High level LP players are whole different sort than amateur club level blockers. LP is generally more difficult to master than inverted so you know those guys have put in the hours.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

1. both. for variation
2. use the no sponge on your most defensive side. The sponge may be more use on your more aggressive wing.
3. spin from spin reversal comes from opponents shot.probably the no sponge side
4. start with near vertical racket face for both and go from there (learn as you go)

6. Please come to my club, I want to play you for money! I used to practice with someone with with this setup. He was a good player with his normal combo setup. With double LP everybody in the club just hit him off with ease once they new to not bother with spin
good luck all the same

PPP... Heck Yeah!!!

Unless you are a former national team member... please do visit my club with a fat wallet ready for dinner bets and drink bets. You lose a lunch bet vs me and Ur wallet will be just a might lighter, but you will have awesome pics on Facebook to remember it all. Think of it as a fee for the good looking pics and memories.

I LOVE and crave playing vs OX LP players. Unless they are two levels better than me, I will not be threatened. There are TONS of OX LP players here in Korea who are powerhouse OX LP punchblockers / FH power hitters. I play them every day and play with an OX scout bat every now and then to remember their techniques. Please do visit my club and give us some free chicken and beer for the fun memories.

I was offering to play against double LP not use it, but if Alqua is not the noobie he seemed to be, all bets are off
your club in Korea sounds like fun

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 08/27/2013 at 5:10pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 7:11pm
I don't recall mentioning he was a top 10 Guangzhou player, but according to him he was top 10 in his hometown province, some of those northern provinces that I don't remember. Nonetheless, he's def HIGHLY SKILLED, otherwise he would not be hired by the club owner who as I heard was in the national team, and playing with him for an hour will cost 500RMB ( $85 ) whereas the average cost for an hour of practice with any caoch would be $15 to $20 an hour. Couple weeks ago a guy from the French national time as I was told was training with him.

But thanks I really enjoy playing this setup regardless.
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 7:14pm
Dear Witty Detective,

I use something called VPN software ( Enable you to use an IP address from any country I want ) that I could browse Youtube, FB etc as they blocked in China.

:)
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 7:37pm
There is a weekly tournament that always attract top players ( Local mid-level players will avoid playing in this tournament as it's considered to be highest weekly tournament in the city, which is every Tuesday in Tianhe Sport Center in case you wanna give it a try, defiantly worth the try for TT fans, especially those who look to improve their level ). I played their more than 20 times and never won a SINGLE MATCH, that was changed yesterday, I won a match, and lost 2-1 for other 2.

I was satisfied with my performance lol .. quick take outs of last night:

- I will changed my forehand setup to inverted or SP.
- The game was a bit slow, I did not like this part as I'm into more actions for fitness reasons/ football winger here.
- It's sort of game mind, some players looped to the net and started to lose their control and started using more power to hit the ball and sometime will end up sometime out of the table.
- Hardest opponent was using one push and one loop, he kept me moving around.
- I played with another lP penholder player, game was TOO SLOW and I started to hit a lot, I lost 2-1
- If Backhand HIT landed on Table, a VERY few times were returnable..
- opponents will check my setup and give me that look, " Really" :D
- I twiddle and a few times before my opponents serve :D, and the expressions in their faces were priceless
- I have a lot to improve regarding LP.

After all, winning in that a club even for a single match was major milestone in my TT journey lol ... I had an awesome time and that what matters the most. :)

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 8:38pm

I don't recall mentioning he was a top 10 Guangzhou player, but according to him he was top 10 in his hometown province, some of those northern provinces that I don't remember. Nonetheless, he's def HIGHLY SKILLED, otherwise he would not be hired by the club owner who as I heard was in the national team, and playing with him for an hour will cost 500RMB ( $85 ) whereas the average cost for an hour of practice with any caoch would be $15 to $20 an hour. Couple weeks ago a guy from the French national time as I was told was training with him. 
I'm sorry but it really doesn't matter which province he is from. If he is top 10 in any Chinese province and as good as you say you would not be able to get 6/7 points if he was trying. Also he would not misread the spin of the LP. 

Edited by DDreamer - 08/27/2013 at 8:38pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 8:41pm

- I twiddle and a few times before my opponents serve :D, and the expressions in their faces were priceless
I thought you are using LP both sides - how would twiddling affect matters? I don't understand. Also, I presume you are using one black side and one red side anyway (?).
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I'm sorry but it really doesn't matter which province he is from. If he is top 10 in any Chinese province and as good as you say you would not be able to get 6/7 points if he was trying. Also he would not misread the spin of the LP. 

In generally I don't think anyone of that skill level would ever be "trying" against a relative beginner. I'm more surprise Alqa can get that many higher level games, but I guess it's not high price to pay if the cold drinks are good.
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 1:29pm
Well, it's possible he was putting on some act, I don't know for sure! I played a match with him today and got 5/6 points, that's something I never was able to achieve with my old setup .. Also my other matches with my club mates got much much better .. What matters more for me is that my game is getting better/ more fun ..

Twiddling the racket was a part of psychological game, on top of that hitting with the sponge side was much better..
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 5:39pm
He doesn't have to be putting on an act, rather he is just not trying 100%. I rarely try more than 60/70% against much weaker players.

I still don't understand the psychological effect of your twiddling. Whether you hit with LP OX or LP with sponge will make virtually no difference to your opponent. Unless your opponents are beginners they would know this. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 6:25pm

What matters more for me is that my game is .....more fun ..

Fun is the main thing.  You should just experiment and see what works with this style you are developing.  But if you are going to make progress, at least one side of your setup is going to have to allow you some measure of offense.

Edited by Baal - 08/29/2013 at 6:29pm
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 7:49pm

He doesn't have to be putting on an act, rather he is just not trying 100%. I rarely try more than 60/70% against much weaker players.

I still don't understand the psychological effect of your twiddling. Whether you hit with LP OX or LP with sponge will make virtually no difference to your opponent. Unless your opponents are beginners they would know this. 

If you familiar with LP, you will see that hitting is easier with sponge. Also, chopping with OX is harder/less accurate when i'm away from the table that I twiddle when I'm a bit far from the table. When close to the table, OX works better for me when blocking, that why I use it on my backhand when I'm near the table. On top of that, ox block seems to be more difficult to return, so I always try to have it on the hand where my opponent is likely serve to ..

I also have the habit of twiddle when when waiting for the opponent to serve or bring the ball etc even when I play with Tenergy on both side before.. sort of keeping the wrist active lol

And good for you man trying 60% against less experienced players ..
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 7:52pm
Defiantly, thanks .. I might be using SP on forehand now due my wrist injury, my DR suggested that I use the lightest set of equipment possible to reduce the wight on the wrist .. I might have a light inverted rubber .. will see ..
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2013 at 8:44pm

If you familiar with LP, you will see that hitting is easier with sponge. Also, chopping with OX is harder/less accurate when i'm away from the table that I twiddle when I'm a bit far from the table. When close to the table, OX works better for me when blocking, that why I use it on my backhand when I'm near the table. On top of that, ox block seems to be more difficult to return, so I always try to have it on the hand where my opponent is likely serve to ..

I also have the habit of twiddle when when waiting for the opponent to serve or bring the ball etc even when I play with Tenergy on both side before.. sort of keeping the wrist active lol

And good for you man trying 60% against less experienced players ..

I understand the difference of OX vs sponge LP and how twiddling could make a difference to you. However I don't understand how your twiddling could have any psychological impact on your opponent and why your twiddling "a few times before my opponents serve :D, and the expressions in their faces were priceless" - twiddling with LP on both sides should not bother an opponent at all.

I suggested that your coach may not be trying 100% so that you wouldn't get an incorrect reading of the effectiveness of your set-up. Most beginners try 100% in practice games and they assume everyone else is trying 100% as well but this is frequently not the case. A stronger player will often not go flat out against a much weaker player. This is not because of arrogance but rather so that the weaker player will have a decent hit. If I were to try 100% against a beginner there would be no rallies - very few serves would come back and usually the first return I got I would loop a winner. Your coach would be a much much better player than myself and there would be no way someone with your experience using LP on both sides could get 5 or more points against him. This is not being mean, it's just being realistic.

Anyway, I think your suggestion to use SP or inverted on one side is a good one. In the long term I think it will give you more fun when you play.  

Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 9:24am
Retuning a fast top spin serve with sponge would return the ball out of the table more than an OX would, Amount of spin reversals are different between FH and BH, and therefore opponent would not be used for the same spin reversal rhythm and so on. My coach himself told me twiddle even with this setup is confusing because they are thought to notice where the "funny" rubber is before serving etc.. even in the tournament, they would double check the bat in the middle of the game.. and they would look at my bat every time before serving, not always though ... For me, it's more like a habit even when I use inverted on both side, but reasoning came up along the way while using LP.

And yep I think I would be using Ultra Light Stiga rubber on forehand to keep my bat light due my wrist injury ..
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 9:37am

Retuning a fast top spin serve with sponge would return the ball out of the table more than an OX would

If you are having that problem with LP, whether or not you have sponge, you need to spend time working on your touch.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:34am

Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

1. both. for variation

good luck all the same

PPP... Heck Yeah!!!

I was offering to play against double LP not use it, but if Alqua is not the noobie he seemed to be, all bets are off
your club in Korea sounds like fun

I wasn't challenging Paddy to come here to Korea and get some... I was applauding his comment about a combo LP/LP player coming to his club for easy money (for paddy)

Now if you wanna see me in action in Korea, you had better come fast as I leave for good in a couple weeks.

Paddy, it just isn't my club here in Korea. Just about EVERY club in Korea with 20 or so Over 40 or Over 50 lady players... there WILL be at least TEN, yes TEN of them, who sport a setup similar to...

Blade: Schlager Carbon, Gergely, or any BTY OFF++ blade
FH: Yasaka Extend HS or any control inverted rubber in 2.0 or max sponge
BH: Grass D_Techs in OX

You will see this setup a LOT in Korea and if anyone is not afraid to play vs it and learn it, one can do very well vs this style. The O40 ladies crowd does NOT loop. They will aggressively punchblock underspins for winners or pressure, they will push with OX LP to get opponent to mis-read the ball and pop it up, then if the ball is even ONE CM above net height, they will FH blast the ball through their opponent leaving a vapor trail. it is such a trip to see these innocent, frail looking older ladies flip the switch and go gorilla on athletic! haha. always a joy as when they win a point they are all happy and celebrating!

I am a nightmare for them. Even with a handicap, they do not win vs me. Some of them take lessons specifically geared towards defeating me at me club, some train an extra 10 hours a week hardcore mutiball with their Div 1 husbands, but it doesn't matter, their husbands never hit like me. I use spin, no-spin, heavy topspin, heavy cut underspin, fake spins of all types, and can blast away at the ball as I know what is on it and where it is going. (Well most of the time, at least enough to comfortably win while giving away handicap points)

When I leave Korea I am going to miss this kind of TT action and fun something fierce...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Retuning a fast top spin serve with sponge would return the ball out of the table more than an OX would

If you are having that problem with LP, whether or not you have sponge, you need to spend time working on your touch.

Quote of the week candidate!

OX LP or Sponge LP, or SP or regular inverted, it doesn't matter... it is all about seeing the ball, reading the spin, break, placement, speed, height... getting into position, knowing what you want to do, (if it is a cut block short or barely 1/2 long then...) taking the ball early with a LOOSE grip and correct bat angle, AND finishing the stroke with good touch and feel. We can read about it on the forums, but we all have to put the effective training time in to get there.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:41am
Alqa... You will be surprised at how many times I get those OX LP players to block my topspin serves long/out. There is an art to selling a serve to get them to read the ball wrong.

You would also be surprised at how some of these same OX LP players can short chop block my extreme heavy/fast speed drives as well in a rally, simply unreal. They train that SO LONG as well as how to deal with no-spin balls.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 10:51am
Alqa, make sure when you are returning serve, that you are not gripping the blade too tightly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic