Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long Pips on both side, questions for LP gurus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

He doesn't have to be putting on an act, rather he is just not trying 100%. I rarely try more than 60/70% against much weaker players.

I still don't understand the psychological effect of your twiddling. Whether you hit with LP OX or LP with sponge will make virtually no difference to your opponent. Unless your opponents are beginners they would know this. 

It's a paid act.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Sponsored Links

Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Alqa, make sure when you are returning serve, that you are not gripping the blade too tightly.

Yep Thanks Ball, I see how the dynamic of holding the bat too tight might lead for more out return, it's just a habit and it's hard to change all the sudden, I think holding the racket too tightly contributed to my wrist injury, especially when I used to practice 3 hours a day awhile ago.
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 2:20am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

He doesn't have to be putting on an act, rather he is just not trying 100%. I rarely try more than 60/70% against much weaker players.

I still don't understand the psychological effect of your twiddling. Whether you hit with LP OX or LP with sponge will make virtually no difference to your opponent. Unless your opponents are beginners they would know this. 

It's a paid act.

Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 2:22am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Originally posted by Alqa Alqa wrote:

Retuning a fast top spin serve with sponge would return the ball out of the table more than an OX would

If you are having that problem with LP, whether or not you have sponge, you need to spend time working on your touch.

Quote of the week candidate!

OX LP or Sponge LP, or SP or regular inverted, it doesn't matter... it is all about seeing the ball, reading the spin, break, placement, speed, height... getting into position, knowing what you want to do, (if it is a cut block short or barely 1/2 long then...) taking the ball early with a LOOSE grip and correct bat angle, AND finishing the stroke with good touch and feel. We can read about it on the forums, but we all have to put the effective training time in to get there.

Thanks, there is a learning curve in TT, and we just started lol ..
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2013 at 1:10pm

Alqa, make sure when you are returning serve, that you are not gripping the blade too tightly.

Yep Thanks Ball, I see how the dynamic of holding the bat too tight might lead for more out return, it's just a habit and it's hard to change all the sudden, I think holding the racket too tightly contributed to my wrist injury, especially when I used to practice 3 hours a day awhile ago.

Like you described, it is easy to know HOW to make a short return, but doing it in practice, then in a match under pressure is another animal altogether. If you practice it a lot and can succeed, then LATER, like many months later, the success in matches doing this follows. In the meantime, match performance using that shot might be same or even worse. That is how it goes.

If one can learn how to move to the incoming loop, get right next to the ball and use a very loose wrist, then later, it is much easier to learn how to push an underspin ball short.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 3:11pm
Most defiantly, I would read stuff and watch video, but putting that into the real is totally different thing. Practice will make it better, that what TT masters say here.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2013 at 6:19pm

Most defiantly, I would read stuff and watch video, but putting that into the real is totally different thing. Practice will make it better, that what TT masters say here.

Ha ha Alqa!  I would be worried about the TT masters that would say that practice will make it worse!  You would want to defy them!  Take care of your wrist.  It is possible that your grip contributes.

Edited by Baal - 09/03/2013 at 6:20pm
Alqa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2013 at 7:10am

Ha ha Alqa!  I would be worried about the TT masters that would say that practice will make it worse!  You would want to defy them!  Take care of your wrist.  It is possible that your grip contributes.

Haha Thanks Ball ... I only play once a week currently and putting extreme wrist support that restrict my hand motion a bit, like I can't return a severe using backhand flick etc .. My dr suggested so ..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic