FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

dwelltime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 10:42am
Fatt, want to put it to a vote?

I'm out of here.  Bye.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Fatt, want to put it to a vote?

I'm out of here.  Bye.
Before leaving maybe you want to take my spot and be a mod; you can have it and I am confident you'll be approved.
You'll see the world from another angle.
Let me know and I'll do my best to push for my replacement by you.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 11:53am
see PM
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 12:01pm
got it; I started a thread in the mods' lounge about the switch. thanks for a quick answer. good luck if/when you are approved.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Originally posted by ???? ???? wrote:

Also, how can we tell that a setup is hard or soft?

Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

The dwell time will be longer with softer blades and more sponge.  We all know that.

"More" sponge or softer sponge?
2.0mm of a specific sponge material will feel BE softer than 1.5mm of the same sponge material.
Any engineer should know that.  Think of 3 or 4 0.5mm springs in series.
There are simple formulas for computing the effective spring constant for springs in series and springs in parallel.   

Put a piece of paper on the table.  It isn't very soft.   Put 1/4 inch of paper same kind of paper on the table.  The 1/4 stack will feel softer.

Edited by tt4me - 09/13/2013 at 2:16pm
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 2:16pm

Again, I shouldn't have to tell you that the spinal cord is not the brain. I was just surprised that you of all people would conflate mono/polysynaptic reflex. This is not an altogether unimportant distinction in the context of reacting to shots.

Your post could've been a lot shorter: "Ok, didn't really mean brain". Also btw, matters of intro physics shouldn't be conflated w/ engineering. AFAIK, it's prereq for all STEM-ish majors.

I guess your arms are really really short then.  And a reflex would not allow you to make a volitional change in the ball.  Like I said, stop trolling. 

Again, why does a self-purported expert like yourself need to be informed that the distinction is not simply a matter of distance? This is all so bizarre.

Also, if you're going to keep using that word, best to find out what it means. It doesn't mean "I don't like someone". For example, you reading my reply to yogi and implying that I somehow believe reactions nevermind reflexes are <1ms would be trolling, me making the significant distinction between quick reflex and reaction is not.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

My teeny, tiny brain is telling me that a reaction by definition is a response to an action. Without some kind of stimulus there can be no reaction.

When playing a shot in table tennis, there are three different kinds of stimulus that a player can react to: what she sees, what she hears, or what she feels. (Listed in that order because, when our opponent plays their shot, that is the order we get the stimulii in.) Our reaction times are entirely dependent upon how long it takes us to receive the stimulus, transmit it to our brains, process it and then relay the necessary reaction to the parts of the body we want to involve in our response.

My teeny, tiny, non-medical brain tells me that what we see is always going to be the primary stimulus for our reaction, because it is processed faster than either of the other two. Light travels faster than sound; our eyes see what is happening on the other side of the table long before we feel the ball hitting anything; and the distance from our eyes to our brain is considerably shorter than from our hand (no matter what the speed of the nerve impulse conduction).

To suggest that any of this takes places without the brain being involved is, at best, to confuse reflexes (when the doctor hits our knee with his little hammer) and playing a stroke in table tennis. At worst, it suggests to my teeny, tiny non-engineering brain that someone is trolling.

And, no, there is not a snowball's chance in Hades of us ever reacting to the ball hitting the blade in time to change what we have already decided to do. The ball is long, long gone.

As mentioned by super-expert Baal himself, the shortest reflexes are not those processed by the brain such as vision, but rather directly by the nervous system. There's no reason to believe that repeated training of the same reactions affect these reflexes, as generally visible in high level athletes. The limit here is not the speed of light/sound but rather 1. the must slower propagation in cells. 2. thinking is even slower. Even the exact speed for the simpler former effect is generally non-trivial in the small: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential; the diff can be quite significant.

Baal's statement that a "reaction" needs relatively slow brain-thinking is simply misleading. He knows this and is rather transparently trying to manipulate the mods (and other members apparently) to ban me. Let's hope they're not so easily played off.
snerdly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snerdly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 3:03pm
This thread has a very long dwell.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 3:59pm
I wrote exactly:  "Nobody can react fast enough to do anything to change the shot by feel before the ball is already well on its way to the other side".  This is based on the idea that actual time the ball is in contact with blade is around 1 millisecond.  Also some people have thought that long dwell-time equipment would let you do that.  

AgentHEX says I am wrong because of "reflexes" --- or something --- and then says there are all kinds of things about the nervous system I "should" know and somehow didn't consider when I made that remark.  If he is saying the statement is wrong, then I suppose it means that he thinks that somehow the nervous system can make a response that leads to a contraction of muscles in response to some stimulus in less than 1 ms. 

On the other hand, if he thinks that the statement is actually correct (and later he seems to saying it is obvious) but he just wants to dispute something for the sake of stirring things up, (based on something surrounding the word reaction?)--- well that would be trolling, defined in Wikipedia as: "a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog).... with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response."

Now just for the sake of argument, based on all of the threads in which AgentHEX has contributed here, what is the likelihood that the intent of his comments is exactly the thing defined above?  So yes, I would prefer that he was banned (again) if he keeps on doing this kind of thing.  But I have no say in the matter. 

One last thing.  Eventually the sensory stimulus from your hands may tell you, "oh crap, that doesn't feel good, I just mis-hit the ball".  You will also see where the ball is headed, and also maybe what your opponent is getting ready to do to punish your error.  You also probably notice that it sounded wrong.  You will have time to decide to maybe begin to get into a defensive posture or whatever, you probably even have time to think about where you should be moving to minimize the disaster.  But about the shot you just hit??  There is no Jedi trick you can do to undo the bad contact you just made or somehow turn it into a better shot.

Except call a let if a ball came onto the court.  And you can say sorry if the shot that just came off your finger caused your opponent to miss.
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 4:17pm
I was replying to "At 100-200 meters/second, a nerve impulse moving up your arm would travel 10-20 cm in that time, far short of your brain (unless your arms are very very short LOL)." Are you going to deny writing that, too?

The implication of misleading statements is quite real, as you have folks trying to calc reaction time w/ propagation delay only, which is why I replied to yogi-bear with what I did. It's unfortunate you either don't see this, or at least pretend not to. Also:

"You will also see where the ball is headed, and also maybe what your opponent is getting ready to do to punish your error.  You also probably notice that it sounded wrong.  You will have time to decide to maybe begin to get into a defensive posture or whatever, you probably even have time to think about where you should be moving to minimize the disaster."

Reflexes can be very significantly faster than visual processing, and time is of essence in TT. Again, you're someone who should know this, so why continue to mislead folks just to avoid admitting to prior misleading statement?

Speaking of pretending, I thought you already took your toys and left? Again, your claims not mine.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 4:45pm
"At 100-200 meters/second, a nerve impulse moving up your arm would travel 10-20 cm in that time, far short of your brain (unless your arms are very very short LOL).

Of course I wrote that!  It is true.  What in the name of god is misleading about it?  Skeletal muscles don't move themselves.  Even a monosynaptic reflex requires nerve impulses to propagate towards the CNS, then make a synapse, and then the impulse has to come back out to the muscles, and the sum of that would be an order of magnitude longer than time ball is still in physical contact with blade. 

Also I never claimed that visual processing is faster than a reflex.  Where did I say that?  Nowhere.  Did I imply it?  No.  Did I meant to imply it?  Absolutely not.  Is the term reflex even relevant to the discussion?  Not really, except for postural reflexes that keep you from falling over.  I said you have time to make all sorts of decisions based on visual, auditory, tactile stimuli after you hit your shot and before you have to make the next one.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to play.  You even have time for a thought about what you are going to do.  But the one thing you can't do is affect the ball itself after that 1 ms time it spent on your blade, not until you hit it again.  Is this misleading? 

Edited by Baal - 09/13/2013 at 4:49pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

"Reactions" are quite possible before signals reach the brain. Ie reflexes.

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Ball, isn't the speed of nerve impulse conduction is approx. 75m/sec? 
It's important to note that this doesn't establish actual reaction times.

My teeny, tiny brain is telling me that a reaction by definition is a response to an action. Without some kind of stimulus there can be no reaction.

When playing a shot in table tennis, there are three different kinds of stimulus that a player can react to: what she sees, what she hears, or what she feels. (Listed in that order because, when our opponent plays their shot, that is the order we get the stimulii in.) Our reaction times are entirely dependent upon how long it takes us to receive the stimulus, transmit it to our brains, process it and then relay the necessary reaction to the parts of the body we want to involve in our response.

My teeny, tiny, non-medical brain tells me that what we see is always going to be the primary stimulus for our reaction, because it is processed faster than either of the other two. Light travels faster than sound; our eyes see what is happening on the other side of the table long before we feel the ball hitting anything; and the distance from our eyes to our brain is considerably shorter than from our hand (no matter what the speed of the nerve impulse conduction).

To suggest that any of this takes places without the brain being involved is, at best, to confuse reflexes (when the doctor hits our knee with his little hammer) and playing a stroke in table tennis. At worst, it suggests to my teeny, tiny non-engineering brain that someone is trolling.

And, no, there is not a snowball's chance in Hades of us ever reacting to the ball hitting the blade in time to change what we have already decided to do. The ball is long, long gone.

that's what i find funny because some people here claim that it doesn't need to go to the brain (reflex) in order to initiate a response. i don't think some people here are aware of the "all or none principle" in the transmission of impulses in the form of stimulus and response. within a split second a response can be initiated the moment you felt the ball through your reflex that has become an automatic response through repetitive training of stroke and footwork.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 9:19pm

within a split second a response can be initiated the moment you felt the ball through your reflex that has become an automatic response through repetitive training of stroke and footwork.
And where is the evidence for this claim? Show us the data which demonstrates that the body can initiate and complete a response in <1ms.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 9:56pm
not in table tennis, i dont have the data but im gonna give you an example which is very common. supposing you have been pricked by a needle on a part of your body, does it take you about more than a second to respond to it with your reflexes to withdraw your finger from the needle? the smaller the muscle is the faster the response especially the fast twitched muscles.
in table tennis, i would like to point the example of high level players. not necessarily top 100 level that i have seen. there are players who can do these in which using their peripheral version they can altogether see the visual and to some extent auditory clues of what their opponent will do and in response change the placement of the ball. waldner is known to do this. the sudden change in placement of the ball is a response that can be done in less done in a a second. i would like also to point out the example in serving with varying spins, haven't you have the experience of doing a serve that the moment you contact the ball, you change some angle in the blade, lessen or increase the contact on the ball in order to initiate a change or variation in the service? when liu gouliang was interviewed on how to make a good serve, he said make the serve look identical on the way you do it but at the moment of contact change the serve through minute movement of the hand and wrist. this can be done in less than a second. if this doesnt support my opinion, i dont know what does. it may not be directly measurable but it does occur.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 10:04pm
A "split second" could mean something like a few hundred milliseconds.  That's a really short time.  It's the kind of thing that lets a good player react to often (but not always) adjust for really fast shots that had the trajectory changed slightly because it grazed the net. Really fast.  But not compared to 1 millisecond.  By the way, it takes a mammalian fast-twitch skeletal muscle at least a couple of milliseconds to generate any real contraction at all, and about 20 milliseconds to achieve peak tension.  So even a muscle by itself cannot contract fast enough, and training all you want cannot change this.     
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 10:15pm
i get your point baal, but is this impossible to do? are the things we are observing on higher level players happen in more than one second or less than a second in terms of reaction and change of reaction? also, how bout if you are doing a response with regards to a not so fast ball, isnt that doable? i think you also need to consider the speed of the incoming ball, how bout if its an underspin push and you want to change the direction by pushing it back to a different expected direction, does ti really take more than 1 sec?

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 10:38pm
I wish this thread could be separated into two threads.  One about contact time and the other about how we perceive it.  Is anybody going to wade through all these posts?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 10:43pm
Definitely top players can make adjustments in much less than a second but always a lot more than 1 millisecond.  Yesterday I was watching a couple of 2500-2600 players going at it our club.  Viktor's ball was hard and just barely clipped the net.  Jim couldn't react in time to make the adjustment.  With a few assumptions we could probably calculate the time it took from the time the ball hit the net to the time it got to Jim.  If the ball was moving 15 m/s (55 km/hr) and it traveled 1.5 m, that was about 0.1 s = 100 ms.  I picked those numbers just to make it easy to calculate.  But maybe ballpark figures not too far out of realm of reality.  On the shot in question the deflection was very minor and Jim was in perfect position to make the shot, but he couldn't move his racket a few cm in time to make the shot. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2013 at 10:46pm
tt4me, it is actually worse than that. Now there is third issue of how people rapidly can make a movement in response to a stimulus.  I suspect this distraction from actual dwell time drives you nuts, so I apologize.  Anyway I don't have much to add to any of this. 
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 3:29am

"At 100-200 meters/second, a nerve impulse moving up your arm would travel 10-20 cm in that time, far short of your brain (unless your arms are very very short LOL).

Of course I wrote that!  It is true.  What in the name of god is misleading about it?  Skeletal muscles don't move themselves.  Even a monosynaptic reflex requires nerve impulses to propagate towards the CNS, then make a synapse, and then the impulse has to come back out to the muscles, and the sum of that would be an order of magnitude longer than time ball is still in physical contact with blade. 

That is not the issue given I hold no such misconceptions. In fact, perhaps if you can divert that angry ranting above directed at me about how nerves work towards those who do it might serve some purpose.

Also I never claimed that visual processing is faster than a reflex.  Where did I say that?  Nowhere.  Did I imply it?  No.  Did I meant to imply it?  Absolutely not.  Is the term reflex even relevant to the discussion?  Not really, except for postural reflexes that keep you from falling over.  I said you have time to make all sorts of decisions based on visual, auditory, tactile stimuli after you hit your shot and before you have to make the next one.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to play.  You even have time for a thought about what you are going to do.  But the one thing you can't do is affect the ball itself after that 1 ms time it spent on your blade, not until you hit it again.  Is this misleading? 

As an educator (ie you) it's important not only to be technically correct but generally construct an atmosphere not conducive to misconception as we see here. For if that were evidently the common case some failure has occurred, and it would be a struggle for the supposed prof to place this at my feet. For example, if someone has trouble understanding (propagation > 1ms) ==> ((propagation + processing) > 1ms), perhaps the issue is that they don't know what "lower bound" implies. Start with easy things and build up.

Something to consider in your future coursework.
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 6:04am
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Has anyone actually calculated the Newton force impact on a 2,7 mm ball with the assumed decellerations and acellerations and 1 msec dwell ?

Yes,  this is basic stuff.  The AVERAGE force is the change in momentum of the ball divide by the dwell time.  The peak force is roughly twice that.
I have told you how to calculate the average force and the peak force.  Do some home work and assume the ball is moving in at 5 m/s and away at 15m/s and the dwell time is 1 millisecond.  What is the average force?  What is the peak force approximately?

Gotcha... you did not tell this to me... the post you quoted is not mine, we are working on correcting that mistake, sorry.

@JacekGM
You stole my words posted on a public forum LOL.

@TT4me,

Your response is highly inconsistent with the idea that dwelltime is more or less constant..  Balldeformation as a meassure for medium and max force combined (or energy) would have to be the same for all equipment with a given change of momentum.

When this deformation is the same then dwelltime must be different for the same accelleration or vice versa. Can,t have both the same (for same momentum).

And more basic (if such would exist) is that momentum doesn,t change.  Momentum is (partly) continued from player to bat to ball for a stroke that  accellerates a ball (with additional energy) or compensate the momentum loss (the part that,s not continued as kinetic momentum ) from a cor <1.

A collision doesn,t accellerate things from additional momentum as long as cor < 1 or equal. It also doesn,t because speed is all relative.
To the table a ball may accellerate from a standard collision that,s not the relative speed for the collision but to a table ; another relative speed thus.
A ball (between the two) then looses relative speed (relative to the bat) just the same as the bat to the ball and even exactly the same. That,s a cor loss of kinetic momentum to the bounce (not one part to other part). For relative speed between the parts (bat and ball) this always has a decelleration for both parts.except with additional energy or relative to the table but then it would skip away to another relative system. Otherwise what would addition of relative mean when speed is always relative anyway ? Speed without the addition relative would say relative to everything in rest such as the table and players. With the addition it means relative between two moving objekts before and after a collision (during dwell thus) stay to that relativity and not midst of dwell skip tp another relative speed (to the table).
Cor is the (current) naming for rel speed out/rel speed in. So for the dwell period  it,s all between bat and ball not either one to the table.  The relative speeds before and after can be calculated by adding the (relative) speeds to the table as Vbat+ Vball (or Vbat - (-Vball)).

But not during dwelltime only before and after. And then it has a loss of (kinetic) momentum for the ball relative to the bat  and thus a speedloss.
To players and table the ball just made a turn with some speedloss or it has more additional energy then what compensates the cor loss.

offcourse there will be a further accelleration with an aktiv enough stroke  but to compensate cor lpss allready needs a certain amount of additional energy and momemtum just to keep the cor = 1 (or rel speed out/rel speed in = 1).

Edited by mercuur - 09/14/2013 at 7:09am

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 6:08am

Edited by mercuur - 09/14/2013 at 6:08am

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 10:32am
@ mercuur
hey bud, you should apologize- I did not steal anything. A brief posting mistake was corrected within 5 minutes or so. Don't go too far in your public opinions, I just don't appreciate your remark.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 11:01am

Definitely top players can make adjustments in much less than a second but always a lot more than 1 millisecond.  Yesterday I was watching a couple of 2500-2600 players going at it our club.  Viktor's ball was hard and just barely clipped the net.  Jim couldn't react in time to make the adjustment.  With a few assumptions we could probably calculate the time it took from the time the ball hit the net to the time it got to Jim.  If the ball was moving 15 m/s (55 km/hr) and it traveled 1.5 m, that was about 0.1 s = 100 ms.  I picked those numbers just to make it easy to calculate.  But maybe ballpark figures not too far out of realm of reality.  On the shot in question the deflection was very minor and Jim was in perfect position to make the shot, but he couldn't move his racket a few cm in time to make the shot. 

Exactly.  It is hard to adjust for nets and edges in time to make a return, and those situations give us a lot more time.  Further, when we do manage to adjust, we almost always only have time to perform "make do" adjustments that allow us to merely get the ball back as opposed to making a strong shot.  This is why players often gets so frustrated with net and edge shots. It seems so unfair because the ability to make a quality return or any return at all is so significantly affected. If you want another example, the frustration that tennis pros have with balls that "skip" off the line.  They often can't adjust properly to that small change in ball trajectory even though the time interval between the bounce/skip and when they must contact the ball is fairly short.

BTW, I've done a lot of frame by frame analysis of what top players actually do as well as what I actually do.  My conclusion is that my reaction times are about as good and maybe sometimes better than most top pro table tennis players.  What people often fail to realize is that the top pro players are MUCH more expert at anticipating what is coming and using that anticipation to manage the time interval between contacts.  They read situations much better and are very good at managing their table distances and body positions so that they usually get at least a half a second between ball contacts and are in a good position to make a quality return when they do so.  A lot of what we see as "great reflexes" from the top pros is actually "great anticipation."  And a lot of what we see as great reflexes on things like blocked smashes are really good reflexes combined with good and often lucky anticipations of where the racket was placed for the block.

Edited by wturber - 09/14/2013 at 11:05am
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 11:21am
Most decent players can easily adjust to a ball on the long edge. Not sure on the time frame involved there but it would be only fractions of a second between when you noticed the odd bounce to changing the swing to suit
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 12:01pm
Bluebucket, the time frame would be hundreds of milliseconds.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 12:10pm

not in table tennis, i dont have the data but im gonna give you an example which is very common. supposing you have been pricked by a needle on a part of your body, does it take you about more than a second to respond to it with your reflexes to withdraw your finger from the needle? the smaller the muscle is the faster the response especially the fast twitched muscles.
in table tennis, i would like to point the example of high level players. not necessarily top 100 level that i have seen. there are players who can do these in which using their peripheral version they can altogether see the visual and to some extent auditory clues of what their opponent will do and in response change the placement of the ball. waldner is known to do this. the sudden change in placement of the ball is a response that can be done in less done in a a second. i would like also to point out the example in serving with varying spins, haven't you have the experience of doing a serve that the moment you contact the ball, you change some angle in the blade, lessen or increase the contact on the ball in order to initiate a change or variation in the service? when liu gouliang was interviewed on how to make a good serve, he said make the serve look identical on the way you do it but at the moment of contact change the serve through minute movement of the hand and wrist. this can be done in less than a second. if this doesnt support my opinion, i dont know what does. it may not be directly measurable but it does occur.

Yogi, this kind of damage reflex that you mentioned is more typically illustrated by using a burn rather than a needle prick since you need a pretty strong stimulus to evoke it.  There is just one synapse made in the spinal cord.  So the time it takes is approximately conduction time for impulse from (say) your finger to the spinal cord through the sensory neuron at about 75 m/s + the synaptic delay of about 1 ms + propagation time of the nerve impulse back to your arm through the motoneuron, this time closer to 200 m/s because those cells are faster, + another synaptic delay of about 1 ms + length of time it takes for muscle contractile apparatus to engage, another 1-2 ms.  And this is the fastest reflex known in mammals.  Any adjustments ping pong players make to things that happen in a game are much slower than this, as a lot more processing is involved.  There are what you might call hardware limitations.

Sorry tt4m4, he was asking the question!
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 12:14pm
You know I've burned myself a lot of times over the years in an engineering shop and I'm sure the burn or pain reflex is MUCH slower than a reaction in table tennis, they work in totally different ways. You can be quite oblivious to being burnt for long enough to have pretty bad damage by the time you feel it. Things happen much more quickly than that between your eyes and hands. When you see a net or edge ball it's like lightning strikes you directly in the core and everything just goes BANG, I've never experienced anything so reactive or fast in my life then feeling you get when the ball changes path, it's quite addictive and awesome LOL ok well getting smashed by an electric fence gives similar yet more painful and less controlled sensation :)

Edited by bluebucket - 09/14/2013 at 12:18pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 12:36pm
Actually since you mention it Bluebucket, there are thought to be (at least) two distinct pain pathways and sensations.  One is called "epicritic".  It is very fast because the sensory fibers are heavily myelinated, also the resulting sensation is very well localized and kind of like a pin-prick -- very "sharp", but usually not too severe.  The second is called "protopathic".  It is carried by unmyelinated fibers which conduct very slowly (only about 2-5 m/s), so it is slower in onset, less well localized, generally more severe once it kicks in, and is usually described as a "dull throbbing" pain.  Requires more tissue damage to turn on, also.  So if you burn yourself, you may instantly feel a prick of pain and withdraw your hand quickly (the reflex).  After a discernible time passes, then you feel the really serious protopathic pain, it almost feels like it comes on like a "wave".  The two kinds of pain have different processing pathways all throughout your central nervous system.  People with chronic pain syndromes are usually suffering from protopathic pain, and it is not easy for them to localize it precisely but it is really terrible for them. 

The reflex that causes you to jerk your hand back is pretty fast, it is complete before you really can tell from the pain how badly you burned yourself (which people usually can tell from the protopathic pain).  But still a lot longer than 1 ms.

The sensations we get playing table tennis are hopefully not painful!!

I agree with you, for me there is very little as satisfying in TT as making an adjustment to a fast net ball correctly.  I'm not sure why.  I guess it lets me know that the nervous system is still working pretty well.

Edited by Baal - 09/14/2013 at 12:51pm
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2013 at 3:32pm
Dwell Time thread,  the actual Contact Time discussion Unhappy

Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

Your response is highly inconsistent with the idea that dwelltime is more or less constant..
No,  look at the videos.  You can see the dwell time for the Toxic 5 is one frame but the dwell time for the Firewall Plus with T25 is perhaps 2 or 3 frames.   Some at the office say 2 and some say 3.   However, these are extreme examples.  I just wanted to make it clear that the dwell time is short but could still vary 100s of microseconds either way depending on the conditions.

Balldeformation as a meassure for medium and max force combined (or energy) would have to be the same for all equipment with a given change of momentum.
Yes, ball deformation would be the same if the same force is applied.

Did you ever figure out what the force would need to be if the incoming ball speed is 5 m/s and the out going speed is 15 m/s and the dwell time is 1 ms?

When this deformation is the same then dwelltime must be different
for the same accelleration or vice versa. Can,t have both the same (for same momentum).
Why, of the ball deformation is the same the same force is applied to the ball so the ball will accelerate the same.

And more basic (if such would exist) is that momentum doesn,t change.  Momentum is (partly) continued from player to bat to ball for a stroke that  accellerates a ball (with additional energy) or compensate the momentum loss (the part that,s not continued as kinetic momentum ) from a cor <1.
The total momentum is conserved but the momentum of the ball changes drastically.

A collision doesn,t accellerate things from additional momentum as long as cor < 1 or equal. It also doesn,t because speed is all relative.
This doesn't make sense.

To the table a ball may accellerate from a standard collision that,s not the relative speed for the collision but to a table ; another relative speed thus.
A ball (between the two) then looses relative speed (relative to the bat) just the same as the bat to the ball and even exactly the same. That,s a cor loss of kinetic momentum to the bounce (not one part to other part). For relative speed between the parts (bat and ball) this always has a decelleration for both parts.except with additional energy or relative to the table but then it would skip away to another relative system. Otherwise what would addition of relative mean when speed is always relative anyway ? Speed without the addition relative would say relative to everything in rest such as the table and players. With the addition it means relative between two moving objekts before and after a collision (during dwell thus) stay to that relativity and not midst of dwell skip tp another relative speed (to the table).
I couldn't make out what you are trying to say.

Cor is the (current) naming for rel speed out/rel speed in. So for the dwell period  it,s all between bat and ball not either one to the table.  The relative speeds before and after can be calculated by adding the (relative) speeds to the table as Vbat+ Vball (or Vbat - (-Vball)).
See this link, see the speed after impact section.  It will answer your questions

I am glad I am not taking part in the other two parts of this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
  Share Topic